Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘The Sack Whisperer’ Predicts Breakout Year For Dupree If He Develops Signature Moves

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

‘The Sack Whisperer’ Predicts Breakout Year For Dupree If He Develops Signature Moves

‘The Sack Whisperer’ Predicts Breakout Year For Dupree If He Develops Signature Moves

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on June 3, 2018

Will 2018 finally be the breakout season for Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker Bud Dupree, the team’s first-round selection in the 2015 NFL Draft? The Steelers apparently think there’s a good chance of that happening as evidenced by them picking up Dupree’s fifth-year option several weeks ago. The Steelers front office, however, aren’t the only ones expecting Dupree to have his best season as a pro as his offseason pass-rush coach, former NFL defensive end Chuck Smith, who is also known as “The Sack Whisperer”, is also expecting the Kentucky product to finally live up to expectations in 2018 as well.

“They took his option and it wouldn’t surprise me if Bud it breaks out and gets 10 [sacks],” Smith said of Dupree during an interview this past week with Pete Prisco of CBS Sports on his podcast.

So why didn’t Dupree have a breakout season in 2017 after working with Smith a year ago? Prisco asked Smith a question very similar to that during the interview and he received a very straight-forward answer.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06...gnature-moves/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: ‘The Sack Whisperer’ Predicts Breakout Year For Dupree If He Develops Signature Moves

Last summer, Chuck Smith said that Bud Dupree would be the DPOY.

So...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: ‘The Sack Whisperer’ Predicts Breakout Year For Dupree If He Develops Signature Moves

You mean like how last year was going to be his big breakout year?

Wake me up when he does something other than get pushed right out of a play by offensive tackles

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Jarvis Jones 2.0, waiting to be proven wrong.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I don’t think that Dupree is a bust. He’s been used differently (dropping into coverage) than other OLBs we’ve had. In fact, there was an article from OTAs about him playing more of an ILB/4-3 OLB role.

But, Chuck Smith’s predictions...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I don’t think that Dupree is a bust. He’s been used differently (dropping into coverage) than other OLBs we’ve had. In fact, there was an article from OTAs about him playing more of an ILB/4-3 OLB role.

But, Chuck Smith’s predictions...
    I remember people bitching about sack numbers and pressure numbers being skewed by dropping into coverage going all the way back to Woodley. Generally people start to discuss that when it's evident that the player sucks and they are grasping at straws for some hope that he'll finally turn it around.

As for the original premise of the article - I'm pretty sure "This guy could be a great pass rusher if he just develops better moves" is exactly the same thing that the so-called experts were saying about Dupree the day after he was drafted. Here we are four seasons later, still hoping for him to develop those moves. I may not be the smartest son of a bitch in the world, but I'd say that is not a trend that inspires a whole lot of confidence that THIS is finally his year.

They also said the same thing about Jarvis Jones, and were saying the same things four seasons later. Dupree has the exact same career track except that he's sucked slightly less in the meantime, but still played nowhere near well enough to be considered "good" (or even average if you ask me). He is on a trajectory for a whole lot of nothing.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Watt, Dupree ‘Look Way More Comfortable’ After Switching Sides According To OL

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on June 3, 2018

We learned early in OTAs that Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebackers T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree were working on the side of the field opposite of where they had previously started. Dupree had been the leftside outside linebacker since he was drafted in 2015, and Watt played primarily on the right side a year ago as a rookie.

It sounds as though it’s intended for the switch to be permanent, but not static. While Watt and Dupree will start on the opposite side from their previous assignment, the Steelers plan to flip them more on either side over the course of a game, according to Ed Bouchette.

And according to at least one player who has to block them, the change has already been positive. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert, the most veteran at the position on the roster, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that “they look way more comfortable on the sides they are right now”, noting that the change has been consistent through the first two weeks of OTAs.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06...cording-to-ol/

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

well he did manage 6 sacks playing coverage 40% of of his snaps and he also played the bulk of the season basically with 1 arm ...

that said .....

I will believe it when I see it , my faith has been tested and broken by this kid
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

If I recall correctly, Dupree dropped back the least out of all of the OLBs. Based on %
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

So...am I the only one that laughed at the title "Sack Whisperer?" My inner 12 year old thought it was funny.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    So...am I the only one that laughed at the title "Sack Whisperer?" My inner 12 year old thought it was funny.

Yeah, its a bit silly of a nickname. If I were Chuck Smith, I would be advocating another name, or whispering even more quietly as Dupree hasn't shown much improvement in his use of hands for pass rushing. As a client of pass rush guru Chuck Smith for 2 offseasons, it doesn't do much to promote the services of Smith IMO.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That’s about the only thing he’s been whispering...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I remember people bitching about sack numbers and pressure numbers being skewed by dropping into coverage going all the way back to Woodley. Generally people start to discuss that when it's evident that the player sucks and they are grasping at straws for some hope that he'll finally turn it around.

As for the original premise of the article - I'm pretty sure "This guy could be a great pass rusher if he just develops better moves" is exactly the same thing that the so-called experts were saying about Dupree the day after he was drafted. Here we are four seasons later, still hoping for him to develop those moves. I may not be the smartest son of a bitch in the world, but I'd say that is not a trend that inspires a whole lot of confidence that THIS is finally his year.

They also said the same thing about Jarvis Jones, and were saying the same things four seasons later. Dupree has the exact same career track except that he's sucked slightly less in the meantime, but still played nowhere near well enough to be considered "good" (or even average if you ask me). He is on a trajectory for a whole lot of nothing.

Even Von Miller doesn't do much when he drops back that often. https://twitter.com/DougKyed/status/930145377612738560

The Broncos fans bitched about him not getting enough tries to rush the passer against the Patriots. Up until that game, he had dropped into coverage 4.5%. In the Patriots game, he dropped 40% of the time...….it makes a difference. So does the scheme you play in.

I'm not saying he's Von Miller, but the issue is a little less black and white than most people seem to think.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Even Von Miller doesn't do much when he drops back that often. https://twitter.com/DougKyed/status/930145377612738560

The Broncos fans bitched about him not getting enough tries to rush the passer against the Patriots. Up until that game, he had dropped into coverage 4.5%. In the Patriots game, he dropped 40% of the time...….it makes a difference. So does the scheme you play in.

I'm not saying he's Von Miller, but the issue is a little less black and white than most people seem to think.

My impression is that Dupree generates about the same amount of pressure whether he's rushing the quarterback or dropping into coverage. In other words, zero. Let him rush 10% more often and he'll just get easily blocked out of the play 10% more often. Just like Woodley when his problem was that they dropped him into coverage too much, Jones when his problem was that they dropped him into coverage too much, etc.

People who play against the Patriots are stupid. All anyone does is back off the pressure and drop into coverages that therefore don't work. Especially since they have their own pirate radio station in Brady's helmet with the coaches calling out the coverages right up until the snap. Teams practically hand those idiots 10 free wins a year that way. omg, guess what doesn't work against the Patriots - LETS DO THAT!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    My impression is that Dupree generates about the same amount of pressure whether he's rushing the quarterback or dropping into coverage. In other words, zero. Let him rush 10% more often and he'll just get easily blocked out of the play 10% more often. Just like Woodley when his problem was that they dropped him into coverage too much, Jones when his problem was that they dropped him into coverage too much, etc.

People who play against the Patriots are stupid. All anyone does is back off the pressure and drop into coverages that therefore don't work. Especially since they have their own pirate radio station in Brady's helmet with the coaches calling out the coverages right up until the snap. Teams practically hand those idiots 10 free wins a year that way. omg, guess what doesn't work against the Patriots - LETS DO THAT!

Is there a number of sacks that he needs to get to that will convince you he has any skill? If he has 10 sacks this year, is he still worthless as a rusher?

I'm not trying to be a smartass. I really want to know what the threshold is to being a productive player. He has done far more than Jarvis Jones ever did. 6 sacks with a bum shoulder isn't that horrible. If he stays healthy this year and doesn't produce much of anything, it's probably time to move on. With that said, I want to see him stay healthy and see what he can do.

Speaking of which...

63 Earths could fit in Uranus.

Speaking of which...

That's very immature.....

Is there a number of sacks that he needs to get to that will convince you he has any skill? If he has 10 sacks this year, is he still worthless as a rusher?

I'm not trying to be a smartass. I really want to know what the threshold is to being a productive player. He has done far more than Jarvis Jones ever did. 6 sacks with a bum shoulder isn't that horrible. If he stays healthy this year and doesn't produce much of anything, it's probably time to move on. With that said, I want to see him stay healthy and see what he can do.
    The number of sacks doesn't matter too much. Is he impacting the play? That's what I care about. It wasn't long ago that Jason Worilds had 8 or 9 of the most worthless sacks in a season - basically just by luckily showing up as the QB ran away from someone else right into him (dong sacks). People were like "omg do we sign him to a Woodley contract? We practically have to! 8 sacks!" But he was useless and had no impact on the game. Meanwhile, James Harrison had seasons with like ... 2 sacks all year while fucking up plays left and right and being one of the most impressive players on the defense.

So really, what I want to see out of Dupree is a badass who's dictating the plays, and apart from that I don't really care if he gets zero sacks or 25. What I've seen so far is some clown who pro linemen have no trouble handling - they just push him to the outside and let him run himself right out of the play. They can read him like a book.

So until I see something different from that - and nothing really tells me I ought to be holding my breath - he is, and will remain, a below-average player.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Speaking of which...

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

I know steelreserve already covered it but it is about quality more than quantity. Dave Bryan over at the Depot did a breakdown of every guy on defense and their sacks last year and the results were pretty depressing as far as what you might term a "high quality" sack.

I even mentioned it during the season last year, our defense had better sack numbers than some of our great defenses of the past but they didn't even come close in the eye test. When you watched guys like Porter, Harrison, and Woodley you saw them really changing games and wrecking stuff. Dupree (and really most of our guys) are getting more of those "fight for 10 seconds and if the QB still has the ball eventually the linemen will mess up or the QB will run into" kind of sacks. Oddly enough the best quality (outside of Heyward) came from Vince Williams. Dude was crushing RB's trying to block him coming up the middle.

Bud Dupree wants to be a double-digit sack guy for Steelers

Curtis Crabtree
    ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports•Jun 7, 2018

As he gets set to enter his fourth season in the NFL, Steelers linebacker Bud Dupree wants to be more productive as a pass rusher.

According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com, Dupree believes he can get to double-digit sacks with Pittsburgh this year after feeling he left too many sacks on the field last season.

“I just left double-digit sacks on the field,” Dupree said. “I still can get double-digit sacks even though I’m in coverage a lot. I just have to capitalize on my opportunities. I’ve just got to close the deal.”

Dupree had a career-high six sacks last season with the Steelers. He has 14.5 sacks in 38 career games over his first three years in Pittsburgh.

to read rest of article:

https://sports.yahoo.com/bud-dupree-...3.html?src=rss

Bud Dupree wants to be a double-digit sack guy for Steelers

Curtis Crabtree
    ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports• Jun 7, 2018

https://sports.yahoo.com/bud-dupree-...3.html?src=rss

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Talk means jack shit, do something

6 sacks a career best ... 4 and a half sacks on average over three seasons. Those are the kinds of numbers you get just by showing up.

I would say my own personal impact on the Steelers' pass rush is not a lot different from Dupree's, despite a distinct lack of playing time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

And if he doesn't improve, a kick in the sack. Whisper that!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I predict no rain tomorrow if the sky is clear.

Seriously, what kind of writing is this? What kind of statement is this?

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

I think Butler needs to stop dropping these guys back into coverage so much and let them pin their ears back more often. Sure we're gambling on them getting to the QB but some sacks and forced turnovers from the OLB position is something that's been lacking on this team since the glory days of Harrison/Woodley.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
    I think Butler needs to stop dropping these guys back into coverage so much and let them pin their ears back more often. Sure we're gambling on them getting to the QB but some sacks and forced turnovers from the OLB position is something that's been lacking on this team since the glory days of Harrison/Woodley.
    I wonder if the alleged improvements in the secondary and the move towards playing more nickel, dime, and “seven” packages will lead to just that? However, not so much with Dupree, but Watt seemed to demonstrate he can still impact the game in a big way dropping into coverage...Did I mention that I predict massive things for Watt the Younger this year?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
    "Let's drop guys into coverage whose strength is not coverage. AND we'll back off the pass rush to do it! Surely no team can take advantage of that idea! CHAMPIONSHIP!"

Like, seriously, dropping a pass rusher into coverage once in a while can keep the offense off-guard. Doing it 30 or 40 percent of the time is just using the wrong personnel, which is stupid. Hey, let's put Bell in at nose tackle while we're at it, why not?

Sadly, though, even if they rushed Dupree on 100 percent of snaps, I still would not see him making a large impact.
    See you Space Cowboy ...