Thread: Fully Healthy Again, Matakevich Believes Starting ILB Job Is His To Lose

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Fully Healthy Again, Matakevich Believes Starting ILB Job Is His To Lose

Fully Healthy Again, Matakevich Believes Starting Linebacker Job Is His To Lose

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on May 29, 2018

Thanks to a shoulder injury that he suffered last season, Pittsburgh Steelers inside linebacker Tyler Matakevich lost out on the chance to take over for fellow inside linebacker Ryan Shazier after he was lost for the season in Week 10 due to a serious spinal injury. However, with Shazier now sidelined for all of 2018 with his injury, Matakevich believes that the starting linebacker spot alongside Vince Williams is his job to lose even though the Steelers did sign veteran inside linebacker Jon Bostic to a two-year, $4 million free agent contract this past March.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05...s-his-to-lose/

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Re: Fully Healthy Again, Matakevich Believes Starting ILB Job Is His To Lose

Dirty Red was a beast at Temple and a tackling machine in college. He’s been great on special teams for the Steelers just hard for me to see him being a starter but the Steelers have faith and I agree his job to lose in training camp but I see Bostic as the starter come week 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

I'm pulling for Dirty Red honestly. Had some bad luck with nagging injuries, I don't think we've seen the best he has to offer just yet. Hopefully he stays healthy and we'll see him emerge as a starting caliber player. The Steelers seem to be pretty high on him, so I'll trust their judgment.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

We have discussed Matakevich at great length on here. The general feeling is that he is a great tackler. Really has a nose for the ball and understands the role and possesses a high football IQ. However he does not make tackles behind the LOS. Quality ST player, quality backup ILB, is not a starter.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    We have discussed Matakevich at great length on here. The general feeling is that he is a great tackler. Really has a nose for the ball and understands the role and possesses a high football IQ.

However he does not make tackles behind the LOS.

Quality ST player, quality backup ILB, is not a starter.

He is not that fastest...but usually makes the tackle, eventually.

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 06-02-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Only time I've seen this guy stand out is on special teams.

Every time he is on the field(mostly goal line) he gets bullied. He's a special teams player until proven otherwise.

He also isn't a fit as the Mack LB. I also don't see VW98 giving up that Buck position anytime soon.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Special teamer . He is not athletic enough to start in this defense.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

His one edge is knowing the defense better at this point and communication being one of the big concerns and talking points. That is a real edge but it doesn't feel like they signed Bostic to be a backup.

Red has a lot more to show on the field in order to hold that position.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The next play Matakevich makes in the hole or behind the LOS will be his first at the NFL level.

He's only running with the first team because it is a sign of respect and an old coaching move to make the competition look "open".

Kinda like how the Browns had to "promote" Denzel Ward to the first team in the second week of OTAs. C'mon man, you don't draft a guy 4th overall to hang out on the bench. But it preserves the appearance of guys "earning" things. Because reasons...?

I will fall out of my chair in shock if Bostic doesn't run out of the tunnel as the starter in Week 1 of the regular season - barring injury or suspension.

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The next play Matakevich makes in the hole or behind the LOS will be his first at the NFL level.

He's only running with the first team because it is a sign of respect and an old coaching move to make the competition look "open".

Kinda like how the Browns had to "promote" Denzel Ward to the first team in the second week of OTAs. C'mon man, you don't draft a guy 4th overall to hang out on the bench. But it preserves the appearance of guys "earning" things. Because reasons...?

I will fall out of my chair in shock if Bostic doesn't run out of the tunnel as the starter in Week 1 of the regular season - barring injury or suspension.
    I agree 100% like what dirty red does on ST’s but this job will be Bostic’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers ILBs Vince Williams, Tyler Matakevich don't expect drop-off

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Thursday, June 14, 2018

It's been 17 years since the Steelers went into a season without a first-round pick atop the depth chart at one of their inside linebacker spots.

How long has it been since there wasn't a first- or second-rounder starting at either spot? Try Bill Cowher's debut season in 1992.

If Penn State is "Linebacker U," it could be argued the Steelers are "Linebacker Inc." And the franchise that has prided itself on linebackers for a half-century typically has prioritized acquiring high-pedigree talent at the position. The Steelers' two current starters at outside linebacker are former first-round picks.

That's why it's so different to scan the Steelers depth chart at ILB. It features sixth-rounder Vince Williams and seventh-rounder Tyler Matakevich. Behind them are a journeyman on his fifth team and four undrafted players.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/pghtrib/localspo...xpect-drop-off

Steelers training camp preview: Will Tyler Matakevich or Jon Bostic start at ILB?

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...ostic-start-at

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I guess Antonio Brown will be on the bench.

It's going to be a long season. The defense is going to struggle. I hope the up and down offense finally clicks and imposes its will on opposing defenses.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I guess Antonio Brown will be on the bench.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Just rewatched our playoff loss to the Jags.
    Got tired of watching Vince Williams trying to run down backs from behind. Dirty Red starting will bring more of the same.
    Bostic better be a surprise addition otherwise it's going to be a nightmare at ILB.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Just rewatched our playoff loss to the Jags.
    Got tired of watching Vince Williams trying to run down backs from behind. Dirty Red starting will bring more of the same.
    Bostic better be a surprise addition otherwise it's going to be a nightmare at ILB.
    I don't think we're going to see the same scheme, so ILB in a 3-4 won't be as important this year as it has been in previous years. We're going to see a ton more 3-3-5, 4-2-5, and so on I think.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I don't think we're going to see the same scheme, so ILB in a 3-4 won't be as important this year as it has been in previous years. We're going to see a ton more 3-3-5, 4-2-5, and so on I think.
    Let's just hope it works.
    Hater = Realist