Thread: Steelers bet big on James Conner after humbling rookie year

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers bet big on James Conner after humbling rookie year

Steelers bet big on James Conner after humbling rookie year

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- James Conner rivaled Tom Brady in jersey sales before playing an NFL snap. His courageous cancer fight resonated with fans on a human level. Those who understand what he overcame as a Pitt running back -- all those masked-up morning workouts between chemotherapy treatments for Hodgkin's lymphoma -- will celebrate his every tote of the rock.

But Conner's journey as a first-year Steeler was a common one for many rookies: He showed flashes in 2017 but generally struggled with the nuances of the professional game. That's why Conner wasn't about to pump his fist over a few swift cuts in the open field during Thursday's organized team activities, which featured Conner prominently in the absence of Le'Veon Bell.

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...ng-rookie-year

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Steelers bet big on James Conner after humbling rookie year

So Conner doesn't know the playbook, can't pass protect, is confused by special teams play, and makes consistent mental errors.

I guess we can add him to the pile of "lots of potential" but "struggles to actually football" guys on the roster.

If this team is going to get over the hump, at least half of those types of guys are going to have to pan out.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So Conner doesn't know the playbook, can't pass protect, is confused by special teams play, and makes consistent mental errors.

I guess we can add him to the pile of "lots of potential" but "struggles to actually football" guys on the roster.

If this team is going to get over the hump, at least half of those types of guys are going to have to pan out.
    Man, you are really that down on Conner from the limited sample size we got?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess getting a vote of confidence and an endorsement from Jesse James doesn't work for you, considering James is the only player you find more worthless, LOL.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Man, you are really that down on Conner from the limited sample size we got?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess getting a vote of confidence and an endorsement from Jesse James doesn't work for you, considering James is the only player you find more worthless, LOL.
    I'm pulling for Conner and JJ. It's just that both have obvious holes in their game. And from my wildly unknowledgeable perspective, blocking seems like a combo of want to and mental processing. Hard to understand how a player can't get better at that. Like an NBA guy that can't shoot free throws.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Roethlisberger Believes Conner Has ‘Really Gotten A Lot Better’

By Dave BryanPosted on June 7, 2018

Even though Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has participated in just two of the team’s OTA practices entering Thursday, he’s seen enough of second-year running back James Conner to know he’s made some improvements since his rookie season.

“I think he’s looking really well right now,” Roethlisberger said of Conner following the Steelers Wednesday OTA practice. “I like what he’s doing. He took those rookie kind of hiccups last year and has really gotten a lot better, I think. And like I said, we’re in shorts and short sleeves, no pads right now, but I’m excited to kind of get to camp with him. He’s one that I’m excited about.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06...-a-lot-better/

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

What else is Ben going to say other than Conner is improving? He can't come out and say he is no replacement for Bell.
    All Defense!

Translation: there is a chance he won't get me killed on passing downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Translation: there is a chance he won't get me killed on passing downs.
    like on this one:

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/917080956632047622

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    What else is Ben going to say other than Conner is improving? He can't come out and say he is no replacement for Bell.
    Since he's Ben, he could say just about anything... literally.