Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell reportedly asking for $17 million per year from the Steelers

Re: Le'Veon Bell reportedly asking for $17 million per year from the Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Pass, we need a starter at TE, not a project who never played the position before.
    Except, where are you going to get a starter now? Trade for another one? We've done that twice. For what it'd cost to give him a camp contract, I see no harm in bringing him back in and seeing what he can do. That is, if he shows enough on tape to warrant even bringing him in, that is.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

a lot of assumption / opinion that bell is the best RB in the league .......

I contend he is not ...

here is why ...

1) running behind one of the best offensive lines in the league

2) Has a legit starting QB whos forte is the long ball ( that opens things up and stretches the field )

3) has the #1 WR in the league on his team that 90+% of the time draws an extra defender ( also helps open up the running game )

4) averaged just 4 YPC

sure he caught 60-70 balls last year but even the yards from that isnt " great" hell Hunt had 30 less catches and close to the same amount of yards

Bell is a good RB that on occasion does great things but that has as much IMO to do with the players around him and what they do to the oppositions defense , he isnt a Great RB .. he isnt a 17 million dollar man in fact he isnt close

greatness is defined ( for me anyways) as someone who is head and shoulders better than everyone else and does so for an extended period of time , historical type numbers over a stretch putting them on track for being the best ever statistically ... Antonio Brown is putting up those sort of numbers ..... Leveon Bell is not
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Speaking of TEs, I wonder if we'll give Mike Adams a look on his comeback tour. There were moments when he lined up on the right side that he played lights out in blocking. Injuries and inconsistency just made it impractical to keep him. As a TE that has been trained in the fundamentals of blocking, I think it'd be an interesting prospect. That, and he's 6'8", which is something we all know Ben desires. I wouldn't be adverse to signing him to a camp contract and let him prove himself.

certainly has the size ...

biggest issue he had was back problems , the drop in weight should help with that ...

he looked smooth in drills ...

he caught the ball naturally with his hands in those drills

looked the part 100%

but age and lack of experience at the pos is going to hurt his chances substantially ...

will take a special situation / team to take any such chance

Pittsburgh is probably his best shot if for no other reason the connections he has in the building

the price is right its basically a free look ...

all that said I still think it is a really long long shot that it happens
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Most yards from scrimmage per game (average):

1. Le’Veon Bell 128.5
    2. Jim Brown 125.5
    3. Billy Sims 119.6
    4. Barry Sanders 118.9
    5. Terrell Davis 113.9
    6. Adrian Peterson 112.0
    7. Walter Payton 111.9

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

1. Le’Veon Bell 128.5
    2. Jim Brown 125.5
    3. Billy Sims 119.6
    4. Barry Sanders 118.9
    5. Terrell Davis 113.9
    6. Adrian Peterson 112.0
    7. Walter Payton 111.9

Who are all those guys?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The attempt to construct a story where Bell is not one of the best backs in football is hilarious. David Johnson, Kareem Hunt, and Todd Gurley are right up there with Bell. Maybe Barkley will be. But Bell has done his thing for multiple seasons. Each other RB has either done it not at all or once.

Are any of those guys worth over 12 million per year? That's a different question.

This is starting to get like when people were saying that Barry Bonds wasn't that good and it was no big deal if he left.

Bell is really good. It is an offense changing thing if he leaves. Is it franchise altering? No, but there will be an shifting of responsibilities.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The attempt to construct a story where Bell is not one of the best backs in football is hilarious. David Johnson, Kareem Hunt, and Todd Gurley are right up there with Bell. Maybe Barkley will be. But Bell has done his thing for multiple seasons. Each other RB has either done it not at all or once.

Are any of those guys worth over 12 million per year? That's a different question.

This is starting to get like when people were saying that Barry Bonds wasn't that good and it was no big deal if he left.

Bell is really good. It is an offense changing thing if he leaves. Is it franchise altering? No, but there will be an shifting of responsibilities.
    He's good.... but he's a depreciating asset. Bell is operating from the belief that he is an appreciating asset. The Steelers are smart enough to know the difference. There is likely 1 of the 32 that will agree with Bell next offseason.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Le’Veon Bell 128.5
    2. Jim Brown 125.5
    3. Billy Sims 119.6
    4. Barry Sanders 118.9
    5. Terrell Davis 113.9
    6. Adrian Peterson 112.0
    7. Walter Payton 111.9
    Could we add average touches to that list?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

1. Le’Veon Bell 128.5
    2. Jim Brown 125.5
    3. Billy Sims 119.6
    4. Barry Sanders 118.9
    5. Terrell Davis 113.9
    6. Adrian Peterson 112.0
    7. Walter Payton 111.9
    Yeah, I like how when Bell is playing well everybody on this board will say "Bell is the best RB in the league, better than Elliot, Gurley, McCoy, Ingram, Hunt, Fournette, etc." But the moment its reported that he is asking for WR type money the tone changes to .."Bell isn't even the best RB in the league".

Thanks for posting. Bottom line is that he is the best RB in the NFL right now from a total skillset standpoint, if he wants more than the Steelers are willing to pay, then he will move on and the Steelers will use cap space elsewhere.

Fans act like a talented Steeler never moved onto another team for more $$ before. Its been done and will happen again. Honestly, I think this is the last year for Bell in B&G.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He's good.... but he's a depreciating asset. Bell is operating from the belief that he is an appreciating asset. The Steelers are smart enough to know the difference. There is likely 1 of the 32 that will agree with Bell next offseason.

- - - Updated - - -

Could we add average touches to that list?
    Single Season: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...gle_season.htm
    Leveon Bell has the 36th, 106th, and 238th ranked seasons in touches. So, he isn't exactly lapping the field as the ready narrative suggests.

I agree on how one could judge the value of the player -- that is a separate point. Player rank and player value is not always the same.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Except, where are you going to get a starter now? Trade for another one? We've done that twice. For what it'd cost to give him a camp contract, I see no harm in bringing him back in and seeing what he can do. That is, if he shows enough on tape to warrant even bringing him in, that is.
    Point is the problem at te is a quality issue, not a camp body depth issue. Bringing in a project playing a completely new position would just be white noise

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Point is the problem at te is a quality issue, not a camp body depth issue. Bringing in a project playing a completely new position would just be white noise
    That's assuming you know for a fact he's not going to make it. If you already have camp bodies that fail to play at the level he is showing on tape, then it is simple. You cut that camp body and bring him in. I"m not saying we need him. However, I don't get the hesitancy in giving the tape a look and bringing him in if he looks better than someone else at that position now that is on the roster.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Bingo!!!

For some reason, it has become: either Bell is really, really, ridiculously good or Bell is not worth $17 million. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Bell is indeed really, really, ridiculously good AND Bell is not worth $17 million.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Le'Veon Bell reportedly asking for $17 million per year from the Steelers

Bingo!!!

For some reason, it has become: either Bell is really, really, ridiculously good or Bell is not worth $17 million. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Bell is indeed really, really, ridiculously good AND Bell is not worth $17 million.
    Thank you.

Kareem Hunt is not on the same class as LeVeon Bell. Todd Gurley, Bell, Zeke, David Johnson (when healthy) are in the same neighborhood...after that, there’s a drop off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Single Season: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...gle_season.htm
    Leveon Bell has the 36th, 106th, and 238th ranked seasons in touches. So, he isn't exactly lapping the field as the ready narrative suggests.

I agree on how one could judge the value of the player -- that is a separate point. Player rank and player value is not always the same.
    I'd rather just know how many touches it takes Bell to get to 128.5 vs. Brown’s 125.5, etc. I think that it’s relevant to the discussion when we’re posting such a list.

Again, my biggest concern is his depreciation, which could be seen last year and likely won’t get better based on a large sample size of RB’s.

And my only criticism of Bell in his prime is that he can’t go the distance. That’s definitely getting worse.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

He is not worth $17 million a year. If he was willing to sign at a reasonable price, then I would say yes, but he was offered $14 million a year and responded by throwing a public bitchfit crying about how he's under-appreciated. He is not worth breaking the bank for.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I'd rather just know how many touches it takes Bell to get to 128.5 vs. Brown’s 125.5, etc. I think that it’s relevant to the discussion when we’re posting such a list.
    I think the point was the list and the names of players in the category that Bell is in with regards to production.

I think stats are overused in football discussions anyways, but are we really going to start dissecting stats of a guy that last played when Lyndon B Johnson was president? Bell is the best RB in the NFL, but he isn't worth $17 million a season to the Steelers. Maybe Dan Gilbert will pay him that in 2019, but not the Steelers IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think the point was the list and the names of players in the category that Bell is in with regards to production.

I think stats are overused in football discussions anyways, but are we really going to start dissecting stats of a guy that last played when Lyndon B Johnson was president? Bell is the best RB in the NFL, but he isn't worth $17 million a season to the Steelers. Maybe Dan Gilbert will pay him that in 2019, but not the Steelers IMO.
    Yes part of my point is that stats can be used to prove almost anything. As for Bell being the best RB in the NFL, I can't agree. I will never give a guy who runs for 4.0 YPC that crown. I understand that's a stat, but I see it when he plays. He has no extra gear and a lot of defenses are catching on to his patient style. He's good and probably top 3, but I don't think he's currently the best. Two years ago he was, but not last year.

Dan Gilbert? Isn't he the owner of the Cavs? Is Bell moving to the NBA? Now he wants to be paid RB/WR and Shooting Guard money!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Dan Gilbert? Isn't he the owner of the Cavs? Is Bell moving to the NBA? Now he wants to be paid RB/WR and Shooting Guard money!
    Klay Thompson makes $17,244,863, why should Bell accept any less?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Klay Thompson makes $17,244,863, why should Bell accept any less?
    12 guys on a team over 82 games (100 with playoffs), versus 53 guys on a team over 16-17 games? Math isn't hard, unless you were being sarcastic.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    12 guys on a team over 82 games (100 with playoffs), versus 53 guys on a team over 16-17 games? Math isn't hard, unless you were being sarcastic.
    I was just joking.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I was just joking.
    Well then fuck you! Yeah!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

I have said many times before but Bell is worth more around the league than he is to the Steelers. When you have the best WR in the game, one of the best QB's, and a really good OL you don't need the best RB or a top 3 RB. Someone will pay him 15 mil a season, of that I have no doubt. But it will likely be a team with a nobody QB and Bell will not have the success he had with the Steelers.

I think RB prices will go up on the next round of contracts but I also think their increased value all comes from situation. Elliott played with a rookie QB on an average team. Hunt played with a decent QB on a solid team, Johnson played with an older, solid QB on a mediocre team, Gurley played with a revolving door of QB's on a bad team until last year with a 2nd year QB.

So all of these backs look more valuable because the situation allows it. Devonta Freeman is a good back and is making 8.5 or something. Well they also have a franchise QB and one of the best receivers in the NFL. If they didn't have that he would probably need to be used more and look like he was needed to carry the team.

Bell is great to have, but he isn't a necessary piece for the Steelers to have success.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Do you remember the last AFC championship game? The one when Bell went out and the offense fell apart. Still had AB, Ben, and the OL. Offense did nothing. This Steelers offense goes through Bell. I don't understand why some do not understand this value. Not value in the RB position, but in Leveon Bell on this team. I've never said financially handicap the future on any player, but to down play Bell's value to "just put another guy back there", is football dumb. Name another player, on this team(otherwise it does no good in helping us win games) that comes close to what Bell brings to THIS offense.

Ready, Set, GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Do you remember the last AFC championship game? The one when Bell went out and the offense fell apart. Still had AB, Ben, and the OL. Offense did nothing. This Steelers offense goes through Bell. I don't understand why some do not understand this value. Not value in the RB position, but in Leveon Bell on this team. I've never said financially handicap the future on any player, but to down play Bell's value to "just put another guy back there", is football dumb. Name another player, on this team(otherwise it does no good in helping us win games) that comes close to what Bell brings to THIS offense.

Ready, Set, GO!
    Actually if memory serves it was after Bell went out that we had our first drive and resulting TD when D Will was the guy. The problem that game was our defense. Granted, our offense wasn't great but Bell being out wasn't the reason we lost the game. It was because our defense let a lacrosse player look like Jerry Rice.

Obviously you would rather have Bell than D Will but this offense can and has moved without Bell. In fact D Wills first season with us he put up similar numbers to what Bell brings.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    Actually if memory serves it was after Bell went out that we had our first drive and resulting TD when D Will was the guy. The problem that game was our defense. Granted, our offense wasn't great but Bell being out wasn't the reason we lost the game. It was because our defense let a lacrosse player look like Jerry Rice.

Obviously you would rather have Bell than D Will but this offense can and has moved without Bell. In fact D Wills first season with us he put up similar numbers to what Bell brings.
    Selective memory. Dropped passes, AB taken completely out of play by the Pat's D. NO run game at all. The offense went to shit, and Ben promptly talked of retirement. But that's cool. Remember it the way that you remember it . Still no player name to replace Bell's value either. Instead let's just argue about other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Selective memory. Dropped passes, AB taken completely out of play by the Pat's D. NO run game at all. The offense went to shit, and Ben promptly talked of retirement. But that's cool. Remember it the way that you remember it . Still no player name to replace Bell's value either. Instead let's just argue about other things.
    Nothing selective about it, just stating the facts.

D Will came in after Bell went down and he scored our first TD. D Will only averaged 2.4 YPC but Bell was only at 3.3 when he went out. Hardly a major improvement. And if you want to talk about coming out of the backfield D Will had 7 receptions so he provided there as well.

Chris Hogan had 9 receptions for 180 yards and 2 TD's. If that isn't a Rice-like performance I don't know what is.

I also mentioned that the offense wasn't great but it isn't what cost us the game. Obviously I can't call that a fact but again, when you look at Chris Hogans numbers I think it would be ridiculous to debate otherwise.

As for who can replace Bell it depends. Not sure who all will be available next year but with our offense you could bring in a guy like Giovani Bernard who is a dual threat type or maybe a James White from the Pats if he is available. They aren't going to be Leveon Bell but as I said, we don't need Bell for our offense to have success. If we DO need Bell that badly than we have all been SEVERELY overrating Ben, Brown, and our OL.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    Nothing selective about it, just stating the facts.

D Will came in after Bell went down and he scored our first TD. D Will only averaged 2.4 YPC but Bell was only at 3.3 when he went out. Hardly a major improvement. And if you want to talk about coming out of the backfield D Will had 7 receptions so he provided there as well.

Chris Hogan had 9 receptions for 180 yards and 2 TD's. If that isn't a Rice-like performance I don't know what is.

I also mentioned that the offense wasn't great but it isn't what cost us the game. Obviously I can't call that a fact but again, when you look at Chris Hogans numbers I think it would be ridiculous to debate otherwise.

As for who can replace Bell it depends. Not sure who all will be available next year but with our offense you could bring in a guy like Giovani Bernard who is a dual threat type or maybe a James White from the Pats if he is available. They aren't going to be Leveon Bell but as I said, we don't need Bell for our offense to have success. If we DO need Bell that badly than we have all been SEVERELY overrating Ben, Brown, and our OL.
    Again, you are the ONLY one arguing the game. That was just one example. The POINT, the QUESTION, the CONVERSATION is about Bell's value to the Steelers. WHEN Bell went out, the Steelers game plan went out as well. No debate about that. THAT is the point. There is no player on THIS TEAM that carries the value Bell does for this offense. Not going to move AB or Ben to the RB/Slot position. You stated Bell has more value for other teams than he does for the Steelers. I only pointed out that he holds more value to this offense than any other player on this team currently. Then argued that Bell is not just a plug somebody else in type player. You can pull up all the stats of DWill, other team's players, whatever. Just keep rocking that roll if it helps you through your day. Peace.

As I've said before, it's irrelevant whether or not Bell-Einstein is "worth" $17 million a year.

It's irrelevant whether we actually offer him $17 million a year.

It's irrelevant whether he's the best back in the league, and it's irrelevant whether he's what makes our offense work.

He's leaving at the start of free agency next March, faster than you can say rocks and blocks. He won't sign with Pittsburgh at any price. I've seen this play out a hundred times before. Sucks that he turned out to be that way.
    See you Space Cowboy ...