Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell reportedly asking for $17 million per year from the Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Le'Veon Bell reportedly asking for $17 million per year from the Steelers

Bell isnt the best back in the league though ....

several guys are better runners ....

some are better pass catchers ....

some are better runners and good pass catchers too but unless on your team in your system who knows may be best in league ???

Kareem Hunt per example 4.9 ypc as a rookie ... almost 1400 yards on 272 rushes ... caught another 450+ yards of passes

Bell had 50+ more rushing attempts and less yards than Hunt ....... Bell had 30 more catches and only 100 more yards than Hunt
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

making unreasonable contract demands + portraying himself as a victim = last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    making unreasonable contract demands + portraying himself as a victim = last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler
    I mean, just the unreasonable contract demands probably equal that, but if he wants to be a jerk about it too, that's just icing.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I still don't any team will pay him the 17M per year.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Wait for him to sign then trade him. Would be right before the season, but he won't be there before hand anyway meaning the other rbs will still get work

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Franco Harris: 'Best interest' for Steelers to sign Le'Veon Bell

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...gn-leveon-bell

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Nobody would want to pay him that kind of money and if a team is dumb enough to tie that much money into that position then he won't last behind the crap line they will have because they can't afford any better.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Only team that could do it would be one with a rookie QB and rag tag WRs. If the Redskins get a rookie WB next year, maybe a roster that looks like theirs could afford Bell. Their roster pretty much looks like an expansion team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The fundamental problem with his demands is that $8 million a year gets you the second-best running back in the league, with enough left over for a star player at another position. That's a pretty tough sell.

For instance, you could get a superstar RB and a very good receiver - who would be two different star-level players that could be on the field at the same time. Not one star player who says he's both.

Looked at another way, $17 million for Bell would be the difference between keeping, say, Heyward or JuJu in a couple years, and having to let them walk. Don't forget, we could afford the second-best RB in the league also.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The only drawback is that you have to get your hands on the second best RB in the league. David Johnson, HUnt, and Kamara are not hitting the market anytime soon.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

What I can't help but keep coming back to regarding Bell is that when he was out of the lineup 2-3 years ago, an aging DeAngelo Williams put up almost similar numbers to LeVeon Bell. I'd pass at $17 million per year and not think twice about that figure. If the Steelers offered him over $13M per year as has been reported, then he would have totally reset the RB market at that value. Holding out to make double per year what the next highest guy at his position makes seems like wishful and foolish thinking on his part..........but it is his right to tend to his business how he sees fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The only drawback is that you have to get your hands on the second best RB in the league. David Johnson, HUnt, and Kamara are not hitting the market anytime soon.
    I mean, at that point you probably just use a draft pick. Running back is fortunate to be basically the opposite of quarterback, where if you draft one in the first round, people look at you like you just told them you have two dicks. So you can be pretty assured of getting at least a good one with one of your first two picks.

Is that guy going to be a 1:1 clone of Bell, probably not. But is the difference worth $17M? Not really.

Plus, given that RBs can go off the cliff at any moment, $17M for Bell-Einstein in a long-term deal would have the not insignificant chance of turning out to be one of the worst deals in NFL history.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I mean, at that point you probably just use a draft pick. Running back is fortunate to be basically the opposite of quarterback, where if you draft one in the first round, people look at you like you just told them you have two dicks. So you can be pretty assured of getting at least a good one with one of your first two picks.

Is that guy going to be a 1:1 clone of Bell, probably not. But is the difference worth $17M? Not really.

Plus, given that RBs can go off the cliff at any moment, $17M for Bell-Einstein in a long-term deal would have the not insignificant chance of turning out to be one of the worst deals in NFL history.
    Yeah. That's gonna be the way to go. Who knows? Conner and Samuel may already be ready made replacements.

I just get nervous when you lose a high caliber player and have to replace them. Sometimes it is relatively easy such as recent stuff at WR. Sometimes like TE and say center it takes several cycles.

Yeah. That's gonna be the way to go. Who knows? Conner and Samuel may already be ready made replacements.

I just get nervous when you lose a high caliber player and have to replace them. Sometimes it is relatively easy such as recent stuff at WR. Sometimes like TE and say center it takes several cycles.
    It's pretty much inevitable since as I've said before, I think Bell is just leaving no matter what and won't re-sign with us at any price.

If I had to choose a position where you can usually be somewhat certain that what you're drafting is what you're getting, RB would be high up there on the list. DB, QB and edge rusher being at the opposite end of the spectrum. Nothing is risk-free, but I'm a hell of a lot more nervous about what happens when Ben retires.

As a side note, I have no idea what's been going on at TE, but we are just having a HORRIBLE run of bad luck, it seems. Everyone we bring in falls flat on his face. I never thought of that as an especially difficult position to find, but I don't know, maybe offenses are changing in just such a way that it puts the TE in a weird spot.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The problem with Bell is the money. Nobody should have a problem with him on the field. If the money part got right, everyone should welcome him back with open arms. Although some fans just enjoy being disgruntled. However, from our point of view the money side is not going to get worked out. I still think Bell plays this season. And then I believe he leaves with no contract signed. I honestly don't think he ever gets the $15M he seems to want but I do think he signs with another team. Probably a rival like the Pats or a divisional team. He'll be a thorn for a season and then fade away like all the others before him.

On that same side note as Steelreserve's post, the TE position hasn't changed so much, IMO. Everybody seems to want to focus on getting the "next Gronk". I don't think that's the best approach. Just like with 'running' QBs, the flash is fleeting and the burn is short for these guys. There have already been other 'Gronk' style TEs as far as pass catchers. MOST have injury prone issues and can't stay on the field. The guys that are the better inline blockers either run terrible routes are get zero YAC. I really like McDonald and just have to hope we can keep him healthy and playing. JJ and Grimble will both get replaced soon, IMO. Hate what happened with McGee, I think he had a real shot this preseason. IMO, get the TE that can block. If he can produce in the pass game, bonus. Let the 'Gronks' be the guys other teams chase.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The problem with Bell is the money. Nobody should have a problem with him on the field. If the money part got right, everyone should welcome him back with open arms. Although some fans just enjoy being disgruntled. However, from our point of view the money side is not going to get worked out. I still think Bell plays this season. And then I believe he leaves with no contract signed. I honestly don't think he ever gets the $15M he seems to want but I do think he signs with another team. Probably a rival like the Pats or a divisional team. He'll be a thorn for a season and then fade away like all the others before him.

On that same side note as Steelreserve's post, the TE position hasn't changed so much, IMO. Everybody seems to want to focus on getting the "next Gronk". I don't think that's the best approach. Just like with 'running' QBs, the flash is fleeting and the burn is short for these guys. There have already been other 'Gronk' style TEs as far as pass catchers. MOST have injury prone issues and can't stay on the field. The guys that are the better inline blockers either run terrible routes are get zero YAC. I really like McDonald and just have to hope we can keep him healthy and playing. JJ and Grimble will both get replaced soon, IMO. Hate what happened with McGee, I think he had a real shot this preseason. IMO, get the TE that can block. If he can produce in the pass game, bonus. Let the 'Gronks' be the guys other teams chase.

The thing about Gronk is that he can actually block. He's a complete TE, but he is such a dynamic player in the passing game that you just have to fire that gun and utilize his skills.

There's nothing wrong with looking for the next Gronk, but there just aren't other guys like Gronk out there. He has been an incredible weapon for the Pats. He dominates and just takes over games.

If you think you have a chance to draft a player like him....you have to take that player.

Or you can be like JJ and not be a good blocker, run bad routes, and get no YAC. Heeey--ooo!

Sorry, had to get my shot in.

Please continue.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Or you can be like JJ and not be a good blocker, run bad routes, and get no YAC. Heeey--ooo!

Please continue.
    I said the same. "JJ and Grimble will both get replaced soon, IMO." And for those exact reasons you mention. I think they both make the cut this season due to no competition at the position.

It's pretty much inevitable since as I've said before, I think Bell is just leaving no matter what and won't re-sign with us at any price.

If I had to choose a position where you can usually be somewhat certain that what you're drafting is what you're getting, RB would be high up there on the list. DB, QB and edge rusher being at the opposite end of the spectrum. Nothing is risk-free, but I'm a hell of a lot more nervous about what happens when Ben retires.

As a side note, I have no idea what's been going on at TE, but we are just having a HORRIBLE run of bad luck, it seems. Everyone we bring in falls flat on his face. I never thought of that as an especially difficult position to find, but I don't know, maybe offenses are changing in just such a way that it puts the TE in a weird spot.
    No one is going to pay Bell 17+ million per year. Someone will likely talk themselves in to 12-15 million per year.

Getting one player with a similar skill set to Bell is now a high first round pick value around the league. When Bell was drafted, RB value was at about its lowest point. The position value has turned high again.

If Conner and Samuels are not the RB committee to replace Bell, Steelers are looking at burning a 1st round pick to improve the position.

On one hand the team has a know quantity that plays the position at an elite level and a crap-ton of salary cap space. On the other you have unknowns and (most likely) a 1st, a 3rd, and a 5th round pick. Interesting to see which one the team "values" more.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The thing about Gronk is that he can actually block. He's a complete TE, but he is such a dynamic player in the passing game that you just have to fire that gun and utilize his skills.

There's nothing wrong with looking for the next Gronk, but there just aren't other guys like Gronk out there. He has been an incredible weapon for the Pats. He dominates and just takes over games.

If you think you have a chance to draft a player like him....you have to take that player.
    I agree with that assessment of Gronk. That's why he is considered the best at his position. I'm referring more to the chasing that dream player and getting very little return. Not only is Gronk the only one of his kind now, but try to name all the past 'Gronks'. That is a very small number. That is more my point than "don't take one if it's there." Even as good as Jimmy Graham was at NO, he was no Gronk. T.Gonzo, H.Miller, J.Witten, A.Gates, G.Olson, that's about it for the last decade that sustained any long term 'Gronk-like' success. It's a very high standard indeed. Here's to hoping we can add McDonald to that list soon.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Please continue.

Poor Jesse James is never getting off your shit list, is he?

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Poor Jesse James is never getting off your shit list, is he?
    I actually root hard for the kid. But at this point, I’m so deep in that I gotta just keep going!

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I just think of the Woodley deal. At the time, it looked great, but talk about falling off of a cliff. Once he blew his hammie, he was done. That deal fucked us for many years.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Bell will be a Patriot next year. Belicheat will want Fichtner's playbook.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

There's probably never going to be another Gronk. For whatever reason, the fan base in Pittsburgh has a hard on for TEs. They wanted a redzone target for Ben...for ALL of Heath Miller's career. Miller wasn't good enough. Then finally in 2014 the Steelers drafted the next "Gronk" in Rob Blanchflower and boy...the fans all said this guy wuld be the next Gronk...almost the saviour on offense...this guy had soooooo much potential...lol. Only to last 4 preseason games and never be heard from again...posting a monster 0-0-0-0-0-0-0 stat line.

Meanwhile, Jesse James is putting up similar numbers to Heath Miller during Miller's first two seasons in the receiving department. James lacks the blocking skills, but he can catch the ball. Yet he's number one on everyone's list to replace. This team has much more to worry about than replacing James, McDonald and Grimble...much more...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There's probably never going to be another Gronk. For whatever reason, the fan base in Pittsburgh has a hard on for TEs. They wanted a redzone target for Ben...for ALL of Heath Miller's career. Miller wasn't good enough. Then finally in 2014 the Steelers drafted the next "Gronk" in Rob Blanchflower and boy...the fans all said this guy wuld be the next Gronk...almost the saviour on offense...this guy had soooooo much potential...lol. Only to last 4 preseason games and never be heard from again...posting a monster 0-0-0-0-0-0-0 stat line.

Meanwhile, Jesse James is putting up similar numbers to Heath Miller during Miller's first two seasons in the receiving department. James lacks the blocking skills, but he can catch the ball. Yet he's number one on everyone's list to replace. This team has much more to worry about than replacing James, McDonald and Grimble...much more...
    I don't think it's a huge weakness like some other positions but ... man is it difficult to find a good all-around player at TE. Either they're all pass-catching and a liability in the run game, or all blocking with hands of stone and playmaking ability to match. Just all very specialized to the point where it's a problem.

McDonald is probably the closest we've had to a "balanced" TE since Miller, but only if he can stay on the field.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I don't think it's a huge weakness like some other positions but ... man is it difficult to find a good all-around player at TE. Either they're all pass-catching and a liability in the run game, or all blocking with hands of stone and playmaking ability to match. Just all very specialized to the point where it's a problem.

McDonald is probably the closest we've had to a "balanced" TE since Miller, but only if he can stay on the field.
    Speaking of TEs, I wonder if we'll give Mike Adams a look on his comeback tour. There were moments when he lined up on the right side that he played lights out in blocking. Injuries and inconsistency just made it impractical to keep him. As a TE that has been trained in the fundamentals of blocking, I think it'd be an interesting prospect. That, and he's 6'8", which is something we all know Ben desires. I wouldn't be adverse to signing him to a camp contract and let him prove himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Speaking of TEs, I wonder if we'll give Mike Adams a look on his comeback tour. There were moments when he lined up on the right side that he played lights out in blocking. Injuries and inconsistency just made it impractical to keep him. As a TE that has been trained in the fundamentals of blocking, I think it'd be an interesting prospect. That, and he's 6'8", which is something we all know Ben desires. I wouldn't be adverse to signing him to a camp contract and let him prove himself.
    I had no idea any of this was going on, but I would have my doubts he comes back for a second go around...
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I had no idea any of this was going on, but I would have my doubts he comes back for a second go around...
    Gotta give him some props at least. He has certainly been busting his ass.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Pass, we need a starter at TE, not a project who never played the position before.