Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Artie Burns is not happy with new NFL National Anthem policy

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Artie Burns is not happy with new NFL National Anthem policy

workplaces always have rules , look at 1914 school teacher rules

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The portions in bold are basically the exact definition of trying to "silence" the voices of those that you disagree with. It reduces complex arguments and motivations down to easily dismissed cliches and consists mostly of ad hominen attacks against an imagined or perceived "typical" member of the opposing viewpoint that often has little to no basis in reality.

You are clearly one of the most thoughtful and intelligent folks that post on this board. Consistently bring valuable insights and perspectives to the table, but you're being incredibly willfully ignorant on this issue. I have a hard time believing that someone who takes the time to research facts/figures and read through the associated articles they are pulled from can honestly believe that protestors are simply arguing that "police are racist, white people are dumb, and football players are good". That's the route that people in charge that definitively want the status quo maintained want you to take. It allows for the blithe dismissal of considerable social problems and the ability to grumpily ignore protestors as poorly informed politically motivated individuals not worthy of attention. That's the suckers bet. No one is asking for you, or anyone else to agree with the protestors, the vehicles they have chosen to communicate their message, or their proposed solutions. All I am stubbornly digging my heels in on is the idea that they and others, should be honestly and carefully listened to. Their claims and concerns acknowledged and incorporated into the ongoing national political/social discourse.

Take it along the lines of this analogy:

I'm a left side of the spectrum kinda guy. Totally shocking, I know. During the last several local, state, and national election cycles candidates I find totally unacceptable have either ran unexpectedly strong campaigns or won the election. I could respond by just assuming that a bunch of under-informed mouth-breathing morons that can barely read, hate women, gays, liberals, and minorities supported a series of candidates that make me want to throw up in mouth.

OR

I can take some time and read up on the issues and reasons that people have outlined their support for candidates that I disagree with. I can come to understand that (at least in my state) folks in rural communities feel that politicians in general and the left most specifically have shifted focus onto social and political issues that play no role in their lives. They see their communities losing jobs while young people leave to pursue education or economic opportunities to never return - thus further impoverishing the community. They see hard-work not paying off at all while it seems like other groups are getting more for far less work. It offends their sense of pride, responsibility, and work ethic. They feel that no one is bringing their concerns to the fore, let alone actually working to solve them. Add in the feeling that everyone outside their communities in universities, entertainment, politics, etc. is telling them that their values and beliefs are out of step with the modern world and no longer appropriate, well you pretty quickly get a bunch of extremely pissed off people that are motivated to vote for a candidate that expresses their concerns.

I'm not trying to break my arm patting myself on the back. I attempt to always go the second route, but I far too often go the first route. And even when I go the second route, I don't agree with the solutions and perspectives of people -- but at least I try my best to not simply write them off.

I've been out of town for a few days but didn't want to seem like I'm blowing you off ... most of the discussion seems to have moved on in the meantime, but I do want to say this. While you, personally, seem to give more thought that most people to the actual merits of issues, and have more willingness to consider what the other side is saying, I do not think that is necessarily true of most people. On either the right or the left.

I see and hear people literally just repeating shallow Facebook memes and party talking points, and resting their argument while giving the smug "game, set and match" expression. Like, they ACTUALLY believe that's all there is to it. Their follow-up argument is often nothing more than simply shouting "(YOUR NAME)!!! COME ON!!! (YOUR NAME)!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS!"

I've been told, and I quote, "la la la la la la" while attempting to correct someone who who was arguing that a semiautomatic rifle is the same thing as a machine gun.

Guy up the street who is an ex-Marine had someone pour turpentine all over his car while parked in front of his house, for the unspeakable offense of having a Trump bumper sticker.

With the exception of the last one, the people saying and doing these things are people who I know. Otherwise intelligent people who are doctors, lawyers, engineers, programmers, journalists, successful business owners ... as soon as anyone mentions politics, their intelligence and reasoning skills drop to the level of a fifth-grader. Nothing but soundbites and quips, no substance to any of it. They are merely following the herd. And these are the best and brightest of that group. I shudder to think what the worst and dumbest are like.

There was a very interesting article written by a psychologist, at the height of the election madness, about how people tend to seek approval from others in their circle of acquaintances by adopting the same opinions. I am pretty sure that, like most things of that nature, it was originally intended to discredit Trump, but the results were equally striking on all parts of the political spectrum.

At any rate, you are right about one thing, and that is that I do not give the average random person much credit by default. The average IQ is 100, which means 50 percent of people ARE below that. A frightening concept, but nonetheless true. The same principle can be applied to just about anything - from physical strength, to show size, to knowledge about an individual subject matter, people fall somewhere along a spectrum. If I give every random Bozo off the street the benefit of the doubt and assume they know what they're talking about, my odds of being wrong about that are 1 in 2. Not very good.

If that comes off as cynical or arrogant, I can see that, but basically - it's up to you to convince me you have a point. Most of what I hear these days is just toxic horseshit, and all that convinces me of is that you're a jerk. ("you" meaning the person saying it, not you specifically) Once that's established, I am not very interested in listening to what a jerk has to say.

And the Democrats wonder why they didn't win the election. Apparently they still don't get it, because instead of doing what YOU are getting at, and actually coming up with coherent ideas that appeal to people, which anyone can look at and say "hey, I can see the sense in that," they just decided to double down on the venom. I actually used to be a Democrat, but their shitshow has gotten so bad I cannot do anything but despise them anymore.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I've been out of town for a few days but didn't want to seem like I'm blowing you off ... most of the discussion seems to have moved on in the meantime, but I do want to say this. While you, personally, seem to give more thought that most people to the actual merits of issues, and have more willingness to consider what the other side is saying, I do not think that is necessarily true of most people. On either the right or the left.

I see and hear people literally just repeating shallow Facebook memes and party talking points, and resting their argument while giving the smug "game, set and match" expression. Like, they ACTUALLY believe that's all there is to it. Their follow-up argument is often nothing more than simply shouting "(YOUR NAME)!!! COME ON!!! (YOUR NAME)!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS!"

I've been told, and I quote, "la la la la la la" while attempting to correct someone who who was arguing that a semiautomatic rifle is the same thing as a machine gun.

Guy up the street who is an ex-Marine had someone pour turpentine all over his car while parked in front of his house, for the unspeakable offense of having a Trump bumper sticker.

With the exception of the last one, the people saying and doing these things are people who I know. Otherwise intelligent people who are doctors, lawyers, engineers, programmers, journalists, successful business owners ... as soon as anyone mentions politics, their intelligence and reasoning skills drop to the level of a fifth-grader. Nothing but soundbites and quips, no substance to any of it. They are merely following the herd. And these are the best and brightest of that group. I shudder to think what the worst and dumbest are like.

There was a very interesting article written by a psychologist, at the height of the election madness, about how people tend to seek approval from others in their circle of acquaintances by adopting the same opinions. I am pretty sure that, like most things of that nature, it was originally intended to discredit Trump, but the results were equally striking on all parts of the political spectrum.

At any rate, you are right about one thing, and that is that I do not give the average random person much credit by default. The average IQ is 100, which means 50 percent of people ARE below that. A frightening concept, but nonetheless true. The same principle can be applied to just about anything - from physical strength, to show size, to knowledge about an individual subject matter, people fall somewhere along a spectrum. If I give every random Bozo off the street the benefit of the doubt and assume they know what they're talking about, my odds of being wrong about that are 1 in 2. Not very good.

If that comes off as cynical or arrogant, I can see that, but basically - it's up to you to convince me you have a point. Most of what I hear these days is just toxic horseshit, and all that convinces me of is that you're a jerk. ("you" meaning the person saying it, not you specifically) Once that's established, I am not very interested in listening to what a jerk has to say.

And the Democrats wonder why they didn't win the election. Apparently they still don't get it, because instead of doing what YOU are getting at, and actually coming up with coherent ideas that appeal to people, which anyone can look at and say "hey, I can see the sense in that," they just decided to double down on the venom. I actually used to be a Democrat, but their shitshow has gotten so bad I cannot do anything but despise them anymore.
    You're not wrong. At all. And this is both unfortunate and terrifying. I read an article a few years back (maybe the 2012 election cycle?) that since we have adopted the metaphors and language of warfare/conflict when we talk about politics - it is no longer possible for most people to conceive of compromise or negotiated bipartisan agreements as anything but "surrender", "defeat", and a "net loss". Leading to people not actually caring or bothering to learn about issues and policies but to just always double down on the "my side beats your side" style thinking.

I also agree that most people, particularly those that yell the loudest, don't know what is at the core of most of the "issues". For that I blame the media and the transition to "infotainment" instead of news. It is staggering how much of the news is discussion by so-called experts about how things are supposed to make me feel or what they "mean" rather than "just the facts". Was traveling in Europe recently and the news is really different. Hardly any opinion or editorial pieces on TV, just a reporting of the facts of some daily and ongoing events.

Couple the above with peoples general unwillingness and inability to reason through things on their own and you have pretty toxic soup.

For me it comes down to the saying that "In A Democracy, you get the government you deserve" or whatever the actual quote is. But when you have a largely under-informed, uninterested, highly divided, and easily placated electorate -- well you get crappy leaders over and over again.

Anyway, great points in your post and we have now officially wandered well off the beaten track.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

shortened it to this ....
    The average IQ is 100, which means 50 percent of people ARE below that. A frightening concept, but nonetheless true.
    If I give every random Bozo off the street the benefit of the doubt and assume they know what they're talking about,
    my odds of being wrong about that are 1 in 2. Not very good. If that comes off as cynical or arrogant, I can see that,
    but basically - it's up to you to convince me you have a point. Most of what I hear these days is just toxic horseshit,
    and all that convinces me of is that you're a jerk. ("you" meaning the person saying it, not you specifically)
    Once that's established, I am not very interested in listening to what a jerk has to say.
    and THAT is OUTSTANDING LOGIC ...........

Bravo

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

They're at it again.

"NFL players kneel, raise fists or sit out National Anthem

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65098)]
    (CNN) — Several NFL players took a knee, raised fists or did not take to the field while the National Anthem was played Thursday night before preseason games.

[/COLOR]
    The actions came weeks after the league shelved its new policy regarding conduct surrounding the anthem until it reaches an agreement with the NFL Players Association.
    The Miami Herald reported that Dolphins wide receiver Kenny Stills, along with wide receiver Albert Wilson, knelt during the anthem before a home game against Tampa Bay.

The Philadelphia Daily News reported that Eagles defensive end Michael Bennett walked out of the tunnel during the playing of the anthem and headed to the team bench. The Daily News said Eagles captain Malcolm Jenkins and cornerback De'Vante Bausby raised their fists.

Several Jacksonville Jaguars players were not on the field for the playing of the anthem before their preseason game against the New Orleans Saints, according to The Florida Times Union. The players included Jalen Ramsey, Telvin Smith, Leonard Fournette and T.J. Yeldon.

During the NFL Network's television coverage of the Cleveland Browns and New York Giants game, 10 Giants were seen kneeling in unison in an end zone before the National Anthem was played.

A dozen games were played Thursday night. It was not immediately clear how many saw signs of protest."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/09/sport/nfl-national-anthem-preseason-games/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    They're at it again.

"NFL players kneel, raise fists or sit out National Anthem

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65098)]
    (CNN) — Several NFL players took a knee, raised fists or did not take to the field while the National Anthem was played Thursday night before preseason games.

[/COLOR]
    The actions came weeks after the league shelved its new policy regarding conduct surrounding the anthem until it reaches an agreement with the NFL Players Association.
    The Miami Herald reported that Dolphins wide receiver Kenny Stills, along with wide receiver Albert Wilson, knelt during the anthem before a home game against Tampa Bay.

The Philadelphia Daily News reported that Eagles defensive end Michael Bennett walked out of the tunnel during the playing of the anthem and headed to the team bench. The Daily News said Eagles captain Malcolm Jenkins and cornerback De'Vante Bausby raised their fists.

Several Jacksonville Jaguars players were not on the field for the playing of the anthem before their preseason game against the New Orleans Saints, according to The Florida Times Union. The players included Jalen Ramsey, Telvin Smith, Leonard Fournette and T.J. Yeldon.

During the NFL Network's television coverage of the Cleveland Browns and New York Giants game, 10 Giants were seen kneeling in unison in an end zone before the National Anthem was played.

A dozen games were played Thursday night. It was not immediately clear how many saw signs of protest."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/09/sport/nfl-national-anthem-preseason-games/index.html
    There's a real simple fix to this. Goodell just needs to stand up and say, "The NFL will return to the pre-9-11 standard of not coming onto the field until all pre-game festivities have finished." Will that happen? No. That's what you get when lawyers get their hands on things.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    That's what you get when lawyers get their hands on things.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

If that comes off as cynical or arrogant, I can see that, but basically - it's up to you to convince me you have a point. Most of what I hear these days is just toxic horseshit, and all that convinces me of is that you're a jerk. ("you" meaning the person saying it, not you specifically) Once that's established, I am not very interested in listening to what a jerk has to say. .
    Would it bother you to know that you are objectively wrong about the math part?

The average IQ is 100. That does not mean there is the SAME EXACT NUMBER OF PEOPLE above 100 and below. The odds of it being the exact number of people is so staggeringly low that we might as well call it impossible.

Imagine that WERE true... now someone died on one side just a second ago. AHH!!! We were amazingly there for a split second in history!!!

The reason the average IQ doesn’t change when a smart guy dies, and two dumb people are born... is because the scale itself is built around picking a number as “average” and applying IQs around that.

Or look at it this way, if you have a room full of people and we want to call their average IQ (not average number of PEOPLE with certain number IQs, but average IQ itself) to be 100... do you see how You could have five people with IQs just slightly below 100 to offset one really smart guy?

Do you see why in a world of almost 10 billion people, the chances that it’s a one for one ratio EXACTLY at the exact point of above or below 100 to perfectly offset each other are... slimmish?

Our collective IQ averages out to 100. Almost definitely with more INDIVIDUAL HUMANS on one side of that average than the the other.

Anyway... you could very well be right about every detail of the rest of your post. I don’t know what those odds are. But I’m sure it’s POSSIBLE.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Eagles, Dolphins players protest during anthem

By Austin Knoblauch
    Published: Aug. 9, 2018

Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins resumed his protest against social inequality by raising his fist during the national anthem prior to Thursday's preseason opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Jenkins was joined on the sideline by cornerback De'Vante Bausby, who also raised a fist. Eagles defensive end Chris Long put his arm around Jenkins in a sign of support -- just like he did last season.

In addition to Jenkins, Miami Dolphins wide receivers Kenny Stills and Albert Wilson took a knee during the anthem. Miami defensive end Robert Quinn raised a fist into the air. San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Marquise Goodwin also raised a fist into the air before his team's game against the Dallas Cowboys.

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-during-anthem

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

What if they protest by getting on each other’s shoulders? That would get attention and no one would complain because it would be standing EXTRA tall.

Well, you aren't exactly helping to bridge the gap here.

its never the reasonable persons job to bridge the gap with unreasonable people .

if two reasonable people can sit down and discuss often times a solution is brokered , when an unreasonable person and a reasonable person or persons sit down no deal is brokered ... * see Steelers 2 season in trying to get Bell under contract per example

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    its never the reasonable persons job to bridge the gap with unreasonable people .

if two reasonable people can sit down and discuss often times a solution is brokered , when an unreasonable person and a reasonable person or persons sit down no deal is brokered ... * see Steelers 2 season in trying to get Bell under contract per example
    I suppose it depends whether what is defined as "reasonable" is limited to what a party to the transaction or discussion sees as "reasonable" from their perspective.

For example, I wish Bell would sign for a number deemed acceptable by the Steelers but at this point Bell is banking two years of franchise tag salary and with the Gurley contract is likely to sign a contract next season for which the net outcome will be more $$$ from 2017 through the end of his career than if Bell had signed a long term deal with the Steelers prior to the 2017 or 2018 season. I do not like Bell's negotiating position but if his goal is to max out his income, as opposed to the Steelers goal of maxing out their ability to field a winning team, so far I would submit his position certainly has been reasonable.

Since I do not have the life experiences of a big rich NFL owner, the President, a NFL player, or other posters on this board I am hesitant to accuse anyone in not being what they regard to be "reasonable" in their positions even if I do not see it that way.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

President Trump to NFL players: 'Find another way to protest'

ESPN news services

President Donald Trump reacted Friday to NFL player demonstrations during the national anthem on Thursday night, saying that "a football game ... is no place to protest" and calling for players who protest to be suspended without pay.

In Miami, Dolphins players Kenny Stills and Albert Wilson knelt behind teammates who lined up standing along the sideline. Defensive end Robert Quinn stood and raised his right fist, as he did during the anthem last season while with the Los Angeles Rams.

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...er-way-protest

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Would it bother you to know that you are objectively wrong about the math part?

The average IQ is 100. That does not mean there is the SAME EXACT NUMBER OF PEOPLE above 100 and below. The odds of it being the exact number of people is so staggeringly low that we might as well call it impossible.

Imagine that WERE true... now someone died on one side just a second ago. AHH!!! We were amazingly there for a split second in history!!!

The reason the average IQ doesn’t change when a smart guy dies, and two dumb people are born... is because the scale itself is built around picking a number as “average” and applying IQs around that.

Or look at it this way, if you have a room full of people and we want to call their average IQ (not average number of PEOPLE with certain number IQs, but average IQ itself) to be 100... do you see how You could have five people with IQs just slightly below 100 to offset one really smart guy?

Do you see why in a world of almost 10 billion people, the chances that it’s a one for one ratio EXACTLY at the exact point of above or below 100 to perfectly offset each other are... slimmish?

Our collective IQ averages out to 100. Almost definitely with more INDIVIDUAL HUMANS on one side of that average than the the other.

Anyway... you could very well be right about every detail of the rest of your post. I don’t know what those odds are. But I’m sure it’s POSSIBLE.

I suppose "median" is the more accurate word for that - but it does not change the fact that at any given time, half the people will be above it and half will be below, unless there are an odd number of people and one guy is exactly in the middle. The middle point might move slightly as people are added to and subtracted from the mix, but the proportion on either side won't change.

It should be noted that, in a sample size of 7+ billion, the difference between the average and the median should be all but unnoticeable.

Technically, the EFFECTIVE average/median IQ is slightly lower than what we would call "100" due to the fact that some people eventually lose part of their innate intelligence due to injuries, drugs, mental illness, medical problems such as strokes and dementia, etc. But still, half are above this and half are below.

No, I'm not. Since the left have - at least publicly - taken such a "my way or the highway" stance, I think the only way the gap gets bridged is by learned response. In other words, by that strategy delivering poor results enough times that they adopt something more moderate.

Fundamentally, the Democrats' problem is that they are too far left. People don't want socialism and they don't want Canadian or European-style government micromanagement of things toward what they decide "should" be the correct social outcome. And it certainly does not help that their way of delivering that message is by talking down to people.

Maybe they are betting that by simply standing pat and keeping up the screaming, an extra two or four years will have swung the demographics in their favor enough that they actually WILL win based on race and class identity politics. Unfortunately for them, as long as the economy is strong, the size of the impoverished faction shrinks, which tips the balance against them. Sadly, this probably means that Trump gets re-elected, which I am not crazy about, but it sure sounds better than the alternative.

As currently constituted, it appears that the Democrats want everyone to be just barely getting by financially and perpetually angry at each other over race - because that is the only way their "Government to the Rescue" platform carries enough appeal to get them power, which is quite frankly disgusting. I would call that a losing strategy, and hopefully there is enough of a wake-up call for them to change it soon. I would much rather see a normal president and normal elected officials than just extremists whose main selling point is being the opposite of other extremists.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Everyone thinks their side of the debate is more “reasonable”. Heck, Adolf Hitler thought his stance was more “reasonable”. So, of course, Conservatives feel that Liberalas are being unreasonable, and Liberals feel that Conservatives are being unreasonable.

The only side that is always reasonable is... my wife’s. (Right, honey?)

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    ^^^^Guys, get the hint?^^^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Ah huh.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    2 Rules for a Happy Marriage:

Rule 1: Your wife is always right.

Rule 2: When your wife is wrong, see Rule 1.

this isnt " anthem " but its the pledge , so in the same ball park in terms of respect and the flag and the meaning ...

check out Red Skelton here from the 1960's

players ( and people in general ) can get a nice lesson from this