Thread: Quick Hits from OTA's

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quick Hits from OTA's

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: Quick Hits from OTA's

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Nice! Thanks!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Thank you S4M!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Thank you S4M!

URW.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    He TRULY gets it doesn’t he.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

AB is the man. Is it too early to say he's the best Steelers WR of all time? Better than Stallworth or Swann? Honestly in my years of watching the Steelers (only goes back to 1990 though), I haven't seen any better than him.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    AB is the man. Is it too early to say he's the best Steelers WR of all time? Better than Stallworth or Swann? Honestly in my years of watching the Steelers (only goes back to 1990 though), I haven't seen any better than him.

Nope, he is.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post

such a different era and such a different breed of WR .....

I wouldnt turn any of them down .... that said I am not so sure AB would have survived that era and I think those guys would have feasted in this era ...

the game has just changed so much ...

Physicality was off the charts back then with no flags thrown for knocking a wr out ..could AB handle that ? IDK

but on the flip side a guy like Swann would EAT todays DBs alive even more than he did when he played ...

so as to whom is / was better ,, that is a question for a computer to answer because I do not think we can ( and even the PC answer would be highly debatable IMO )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

AB is the best Steelers WR ever and likely to be thought of as the 2nd best to ever play the game when he hangs em up.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    AB is the best Steelers WR ever and likely to be thought of as the 2nd best to ever play the game when he hangs em up.
    I honestly thought Stallworth was a better WR than Swann as a complete WR. I think Stallworth had better games/seasons with some mediocre QB's than he did with TB. I was of the opinion that Stallworth was a better WR than AB....but if I ask myself the question of Was Stallworth considered one of the top 3WR's in the NFL during his tenure? I would have to say no.

AB is arguably the best or one of if you put Julio Jones and Odell Beckham in the conversation. You could look a few years ago before OBJ came into the NFL and AB is still in the conversation. I don't think we can say that about Swann, Stallworth, Ward. So for that reason AB is the best Steeler WR to ever play and I agree with you.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Stallworth would be a beast in today’s game. Out of all the 70s players, he’s the one I would put my money on to be able to pull out of the 70s and place into today’s game.

As for OBJ, I wouldn’t put him into the Top-5 current receivers. He made a great catch (that’s made on a weekly/bi-weekly basis) and has been living off of it. He drops way too many easy balls. Once in a while is fine, but this guy misses on a lot. Only one to even put up there with AB, right now, is Julio.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Hines Ward could play then and now as well. He’s not the greatest WR ever (my favorite though), probably one of the slowest, but he was a great player. Awesome blocker, great attitude and work ethic, decent receiver, slow as molasses...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here’s the thing about AB playing in the 70’s...

Everyone brings up how he couldn’t stand being hit. True. But... they’d have to catch him first. Seriously, it’d be like watching Barry Sanders running around people as if they’re standing still.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

AB reminds me of John Jefferson, Wes Chandler, Harold Jackson.

Would he have survived? Don't know but that era had some great playmakers in a run dominant league.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    AB reminds me of John Jefferson, Wes Chandler, Harold Jackson.

Would he have survived? Don't know but that era had some great playmakers in a run dominant league.
    If Charlie Joyner survived and thrived at 188 lbs in that era, I see no reason why AB would not have torn it up back then.

Wes Chandler wasn't ever a top 10 WR in the NFL. At times he was the #4 option in San Diego. smh

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Here’s the thing about AB playing in the 70’s...

Everyone brings up how he couldn’t stand being hit. True. But... they’d have to catch him first. Seriously, it’d be like watching Barry Sanders running around people as if they’re standing still.
    And the reverse is true as well. Everyone says that with the lax rules on WR contact in the modern era, old school guys would run rampant. I don't know about that. The speed, quick-twitchiness, and technical precision of high-end DBs today looks to be far higher than it was across the football landscape back in the day.

Sure, some guys can and would transcend eras. But I think some would struggle - in either direction.

Also, where does the "AB doesn't like getting hit" narrative come from? I mean he gets roughed up more than almost any other WR I watch. He fights through it all. I mean he isn't out hunting for blocks like Ward did, but AB isn't exactly a shrinking violet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    And the reverse is true as well. Everyone says that with the lax rules on WR contact in the modern era, old school guys would run rampant. I don't know about that. The speed, quick-twitchiness, and technical precision of high-end DBs today looks to be far higher than it was across the football landscape back in the day.

Sure, some guys can and would transcend eras. But I think some would struggle - in either direction.

Also, where does the "AB doesn't like getting hit" narrative come from? I mean he gets roughed up more than almost any other WR I watch. He fights through it all. I mean he isn't out hunting for blocks like Ward did, but AB isn't exactly a shrinking violet.
    EXACTLY....people act like Cliff Branch wasn't productive in that era. Branch was 5'11" 170Lbs and lasted 14 seasons. AB and modern peers would be great in that era. AB is probably putting more work in at the gym than any of the WR's of that era, as it wasn't part of the NFL culture like today.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It mostly comes from the blocking. Dude is a bad blocker and honestly doesn't seem to much effort into it, not that he really needs to lol.

The dude definitely has made some combative catches and even recently held onto the one during the George Iloko hit.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

So much for any hope the drama might be dialed back this season

Last edited by AtlantaDan; 06-12-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Thread closed . On to minicamp!