Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Le’Veon Bell won’t show up for Steelers’ OTAs

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Report: Le’Veon Bell won’t show up for Steelers’ OTAs

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    re: Bell’s slow start last season

I still say that his recovery from groin surgery had a bigger effect on those first three games than his hold out did.

Without needing to recover, I see Bell being up to mid-season form by the second game of the season. Thankfully, the Browns give us a nice “warm up”.
    Not worth the effort to explain. There was a quote from Colbert last preseason where he says Bell will not take any snaps during TC anyway for rehab purposes so it doesn't matter if he's there or not. BUT since I cannot locate that exact quote it must have never happened. (But it did)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Not worth the effort to explain. There was a quote from Colbert last preseason where he says Bell will not take any snaps during TC anyway for rehab purposes so it doesn't matter if he's there or not. BUT since I cannot locate that exact quote it must have never happened. (But it did)
    FWIW, I remember that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Bell better get his ass movin'. He has a new offensive coordinator now.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    And see you play well for the first time in week 4...
    If the Steelers are lucky week 4, this whole game is intolerable

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Bell obviously doesn't have a grasp of how the Steelers do business in regards to contract negotiations with players. From my experience they seem to reward the guys that show up to everything and play well and don't cause too many issues. Bell has been nothing but a pain in the butt. The marijuana issues, the suspension, injuries, and now sitting out training camp and writing rap songs about how much he should be getting paid. Seems to me that Bell still has a lot to learn about maturity at this point in his life. If he expects the Steelers to just up and cave in to his demands he is very wrong.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
    Bell obviously doesn't have a grasp of how the Steelers do business in regards to contract negotiations with players. From my experience they seem to reward the guys that show up to everything and play well and don't cause too many issues. Bell has been nothing but a pain in the butt. The marijuana issues, the suspension, injuries, and now sitting out training camp and writing rap songs about how much he should be getting paid. Seems to me that Bell still has a lot to learn about maturity at this point in his life. If he expects the Steelers to just up and cave in to his demands he is very wrong.

On the football field, he is a savant. On dealing with contract matters.....not so good.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    On the football field, he is a savant. On dealing with contract matters.....not so good.
    Nice contrast of how LB & AV spent their Memorial Day weekends.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ion-commentary
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

"Table for Le'Veon? Party of three - me, me, me?"
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

Talk about night and day....

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

it will be very interesting to see what David Johnson's new contract #s are going to be:

Is David Johnson due for an extension with Cardinals?

By Herbie Teope
    Around The NFL Writer
    June 8, 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...nalsPublished:

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    it will be very interesting to see what David Johnson's new contract #s are going to be:

Is David Johnson due for an extension with Cardinals?

By Herbie Teope
    Around The NFL Writer
    June 8, 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...nalsPublished:
    One thing that works against DJ is that he was already 24 when he came into the league. He's had one great year - 2016.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

The Steelers won't give him his money
    Management just isn't a believa
    So Le'Veon is left with no other choice
    But to rap with Wiz Khalifa.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...h-wiz-khalifa/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The obsession of Steelers related media with what Bell does or does not say away from football is hilarious.

They are like a teenager wondering why their crush doesn't like them back.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

The Steelers won't give him his money
    Management just isn't a believa
    So Le'Veon is left with no other choice
    But to rap with Wiz Khalifa.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Is that's why he wants to stay in Pittsburgh for life? So he can create shitty rap albums with Wiz Khalifa? He shouldn't worry I'm sure there's shitty untalented "musicians" who rap in Washington or Tampa that he can start recording with next March

Why Le'Veon Bell is unlikely to get the contract the RB market deserves, and more notes

If Jarvis Landry is worth $16M a year, when will the tide turn for players who can both run and catch?

by Jason La Canfora

I do not expect Le'Veon Bell to come away with a market-setting, record contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and I don't know too many people in the NFL who believe he will. But to say that he has a strong cheering section behind him would be an understatement.

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/w...nd-more-notes/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Based on his on-field talents and the other contracts in the league, he’s worth $17M easily. He’s better than a lot of players that get paid the same or more. However, paying him as a RB that much money just isn’t practical, considering they need to pay Ben, Brown, etc.

He’s definitely worth the money as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Based on his on-field talents and the other contracts in the league, he’s worth $17M easily. He’s better than a lot of players that get paid the same or more. However, paying him as a RB that much money just isn’t practical, considering they need to pay Ben, Brown, etc.

That's the thing. There are several different aspects to this and they are all kinda seperate.

1. Is a healthy Leveon Bell productive enough to justify 15-17 million annually? Yes. Multiple contracts around the league to lesser players support such a valuation.

2. Is a healthy and productive Leveon Bell worth $15-17 million annually to the Pittsburgh Steelers? Ummmm. Maybe? It isn't clear what the offense would look like without him. DWill likley gives some baseline that it wouldn't fall below. But it just isn't possible to know until you know what a non Leveon Bell focused offense looks like. What production can Conners and Samuel provide at the NFL level? No one really knows. So for a "SB or Bust" team, the Steelers have actually determined that Bell is worth that kinda salary in 2017 and 2018. 2019-2022? That seems to be the sticking point.

3. The more I think about it, the more I think that the real problem from the Steelers perspective is that paying Bell what he wants (while possible from a math POV) throws their whole salary structure off. From a 53 man roster perspective, not sure they can fit Bell's contract in and not give 4-6 other guys raises as well.

4. Bell is a numbnuts. If his attitude was different he might actually have a deal. But he won't be the first or last jack-ass to get paid by someone.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

While I've never quite understood why running backs get paid about half what receivers make for the same amount of yardage and TDs, the fact is that right now, you can replace 90% of what Bell does for much less than $17 million a year. (I also think you can replace 90% of what a $12 million offensive lineman does for about $5-6 million, but that's a different argument for a different reason.)

The other factor is that for the Steelers right now in 2018, cap space is tight, so $17 million for us is probably about twice as important as $17 million for the Dolphins or the Browns or some other team that's $60 million under the limit, which there are always a few of.

So while it's highly likely someone will pay him close to that based on his production and their temporarily having a few extra wheelbarrows full of money to spend, there's no way it's going to be us, too much is stacked against it.

As for all the other players rooting for him to break the bank ... well, running backs I can understand. Agents have little incentive to be for or against it; the salary cap is the salary cap and they are going to get a certain percentage of the total regardless of how it's distributed across positions. And players at other positions ought to be rooting against him. If 20 of the top running backs are getting paid double and breaking well into the double-digit millions per season, and that adjustment happens all at once over a couple years - suddenly there's not so much money left to be handing out $15M receiver contracts and $12M lineman contracts. So I'm sure that while the "rah-rah, pay him, grrr players sticking it to the greedy owners" sentiment may be strong at first, it'll be tempered when they realize that money is coming out of their own paychecks.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Absolutely not, IMO. Devonta Freeman, in his 2017 contract, is set to make 8.25 million a year average. Lesean McCoy is set to make 8 million a year average. Jerick McKinnon, who signed this year, is set to make 7.5 million a year, average. Fournette, is set to make 6.7 million on average per year.

There is absolutely no way ANY running back—I don't care if it is Franco Harris, Walter Payton, or Jim Brown reincarnated—no running back is worth 17 million per year in this market. Moreover, all that "paid for two positions" is crap. Until he finds a way to line up at two positions at the same time, he should get paid only as a RB. Period. If he doesn't like that and wants to move to WR, great. Do it, put up the numbers, and then get paid WR dollars. But both? Maybe he hasn't kicked his pot habit after all.

For what he's done for this team, I'd offer him an average of 13 million for four years and guarantee the first two years. That's 26 million guaranteed in two years. I'd also be willing to give a signing bonus that spread out some money over the last two years so that guaranteed number hit 30 million over the life of the contract. That is more guaranteed money than anyone else by almost 3 million, and a better average salary per year than anyone else by almost 5 million.

Jarvis Landry and Sammy Watkins - Bell has better receiving stats and he makes half the money they do.
    McKinnon and Freeman - play half the snaps that Bell does. So should Bell make twice the money?

I am not advocating that the Steelers or anyone else needs to meet Bell and his agent's demands, but to deny there is a market rate based on measurable metrics that can support a 12-17 million annual valuation is kinda one-sided.

Look at what teams are getting for $9-17 million per year outta some offensive guys. There are some awful contracts out there. And I think that is the problem. It isn't any one team's problem that another team signs crappy over-rated WRs and RBs to ridiculous contracts, but that then raises the bar for non crappy skill guys.

Flacco broke the curve for QBs. Landry and Watkins and a few of the other dumb contracts this off-season are going to break the curve for WRs. A few years back the curve broke for guards. It is just a matter of time before it breaks for RBs. It gets pretty easy for an agent to say "If that dirtball can get X, surely my super-talented and productive client is worth 2X."

Bell wants 15-17. 10-12 would be closer to reality. In an ideal world they would settle at about 14 ish. But that isn't going to happen, so none of this really matters anyway.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The average RB salary in the NFL is dead last out of all 22 at under $2M a year. Only K, P, and LS are lower. Bell needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

You can't pay everyone what they want and at some point you have to make some tough decisions. I think the Steelers have given Bell a fair shake but he refused to accept it. He had a chance to be the highest paid RB and stay with the team but it was not enough for him...even though his agent told him otherwise. I still believe that blount had a major impact on Bell when he was a rookie and I won't be surprised to see him playing with the cheats before all is said and done. I am ready to move on and spread the money tied up in Bell to other positions of need.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I think the Steelers have given Bell a fair shake but he refused to accept it. He had a chance to be the highest paid RB and stay with the team but it was not enough for him...even though his agent told him otherwise. I still believe that blount had a major impact on Bell when he was a rookie and I won't be surprised to see him playing with the cheats before all is said and done. I am ready to move on and spread the money tied up in Bell to other positions of need.
    both his agent and own mother told him to accept the deal, but he decided not to.

and no, Belichick is smarter than paying a RB that kind of money on a long-term contract. Le'Veon only had a 4.0 ypc last season and imo regressed slightly from the season before, no way will he be a better more productive RB a couple of seasons from now with all the touches he has already had in his career.

I predict that 2018 will be the last year that Bell even sniffs 2,000 total yards.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

and yes, water is wet...

Report: Le’Veon Bell won’t show up for Steelers’ OTAs

Posted by Charean Williams on May 21, 2018

It would have created a bigger headline had Le'Veon Bell decided to show up for the Steelers’ organized team activities, but as expected, the Steelers running back won’t attend, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reports.

Bell remains unsigned after the team placed the franchise tag on him for a second consecutive year. Tom Brady, Julio Jones, Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Donald are other big names around the league who are absent for voluntary offseason work.

to read rest of article:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...steelers-otas/
    He won't show up for July camp either. We have a new OC. Bell knows what he;s going to make in 2018. He's selfish, and hurting the team if he comes in rusty again.

I wish we figured out a way to sign and trade him prior to the draft. Look what Cleveland paid for a slot WR.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Report: Le’Veon Bell won’t show up for Steelers’ OTAs

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Absolutely not, IMO. Devonta Freeman, in his 2017 contract, is set to make 8.25 million a year average. Lesean McCoy is set to make 8 million a year average. Jerick McKinnon, who signed this year, is set to make 7.5 million a year, average. Fournette, is set to make 6.7 million on average per year.

There is absolutely no way ANY running back—I don't care if it is Franco Harris, Walter Payton, or Jim Brown reincarnated—no running back is worth 17 million per year in this market. Moreover, all that "paid for two positions" is crap. Until he finds a way to line up at two positions at the same time, he should get paid only as a RB. Period. If he doesn't like that and wants to move to WR, great. Do it, put up the numbers, and then get paid WR dollars. But both? Maybe he hasn't kicked his pot habit after all.

For what he's done for this team, I'd offer him an average of 13 million for four years and guarantee the first two years. That's 26 million guaranteed in two years. I'd also be willing to give a signing bonus that spread out some money over the last two years so that guaranteed number hit 30 million over the life of the contract. That is more guaranteed money than anyone else by almost 3 million, and a better average salary per year than anyone else by almost 5 million.
    Based on the league and what other players are making and based on what Bell does onfield, there’s no way you can say he’s not worth $17M. The contracts are already out there. Just off of AB, Landry, Vernon, etc, Bell is worth that money. I’m not talking about comparing money to position to production. Based on all the other outrageous contracts in the league, Bell would be worth that money everything being equal. Gurley, Zeke... those guys are probably worth the $17m as well
    Last edited by 86WARD; 06-15-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Based on the league and what other players are making and based on what Bell does onfield, there’s no way you can say he’s not worth $17M. The contracts are already out there. Just off of AB, Landry, Vernon, etc, Bell is worth that money. I’m not talking about comparing money to position to production. Based on all the other outrageous contracts in the league, Bell would be worth that money everything being equal. Gurley, Zeke... those guys are probably worth the $17m as well
    You don't get paid for past production. It's safe to project a decline based on mileage and injury history. In 2016 he was worth $17M; last year, not even close. Future? No way!

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

At 4 ypc?

I think there are too many BETTER running backs and too many workarounds with regard to passing to value him that high.

Personally, I do not believe he is worth 10 mil.

Just my opinion, of course.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

No he's not. First of all he's always starting and/or ending a season either injured, suspended, or at around 50% because too busy bitching about not being offered $17 mil to get himself into football shape. He cares more about rapping, getting paid more than he's worth, and attention than actual football. Then there is the fact of his 4.0 YPC. He was not efficient last year, he got a lot of his yards because he got way above average touches. Lack of efficiency + lack of reliability + T.O level me first attitude/desire for attention = well below $17 mil and certainly not worth being paid more than double the 2nd highest paid in the league