Thread: Where In The World Will Cam Sutton Be In 2018?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Where In The World Will Cam Sutton Be In 2018?

Where In The World Will Cam Sutton Be In 2018?

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on May 21, 2018

With the youth movement hitting the Pittsburgh Steelers secondary, Cam Sutton – part of that wave, of course – seems on track to maintain a seat on the bench to start his sophomore season. But based on the depth chart, it’s unlikely he’ll be seated for very long.

While I don’t think he’s going to have a Week One starting role, one injury – anywhere – is going to change that.

I talked about it a little bit in last weeks’ Mailbag. Pick any starter in the secondary, even the sub-package ones, and if they go down, Sutton figures to be the first man off the bench.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05...on-be-in-2018/

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Where In The World Will Cam Sutton Be In 2018?

Cameron Sutton, the Steelers’ defense new Swiss Army knife

The versatility Cam Sutton possesses will make it difficult for him to not be on the football field.

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz
    Jun 1, 2018

The Pittsburgh Steelers 2017 NFL Draft class was one filled with injuries. Keion Adams was placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury, James Conner missed a large portion of training camp only to have his season end with an MCL injury, and of course Cameron Sutton was placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury only to return later in the season.

Sutton’s brief stint on the playing field, combined with the dismissal of William Gay after the season, has the team with high hopes for the second year player out of Tennessee this year. One of the biggest reasons there is a tremendous amount of excitement surrounding Sutton is his versatility.

The man can do it all, but how will the Steelers utilize him this year? At this point they are putting him all over the field on defense trying to see what sticks.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ews-rumors-nfl

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I see the kid being the backup for Burns or Haden on the outside and learning some slot, so he can be the #4CB in case of any injury or weak performance. Maybe he beats out Hilton, but either way he is great depth in the secondary that had Antowan blake a short 3 seasons ago.

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Our secondary is starting to have a little depth, and we've got some quality players. I think we've shored up the back half at the safety position with the addition of Burnett. We added guys like Edmunds in the draft. Burns returns, as does Haden. Sutton should be good depth. Just need to work on our pass rush so that we can give this secondary opportunities to generate turnovers.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I see the kid being the backup for Burns or Haden on the outside and learning some slot, so he can be the #4CB in case of any injury or weak performance. Maybe he beats out Hilton, but either way he is great depth in the secondary that had Antowan blake a short 3 seasons ago.
    I think he'll beat out Burns before he beats out Hilton. I don't think Hilton is going anywhere.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

He'll likely take over Haden's spot in 2019.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

In a perfect world, Allen is first reserve on the outside, and Sutton is first reserve anywhere else.

That would mean that the team has developed serious, talented depth in the secondary, and they have a secondary that can absorb some injuries and is still talented enough to hold up. The run defense will then have to prove they can stop the run.

If that happens, I believe this team is ready to win a Super Bowl.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

He will beat our Burns. Burns is a bum. 3rd round talent picked in the 1st round.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think he'll beat out Burns before he beats out Hilton. I don't think Hilton is going anywhere.
    I want to agree but you know how it goes, people with higher draft stock get more time to improve. So even though Hilton is a better slot corner than Burns is on the outside, Burns was a first round pick and that probably balances it out some. It is unfortunate but that is how these things go.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    In a perfect world, Allen is first reserve on the outside, and Sutton is first reserve anywhere else.

That would mean that the team has developed serious, talented depth in the secondary, and they have a secondary that can absorb some injuries and is still talented enough to hold up. The run defense will then have to prove they can stop the run.

If that happens, I believe this team is ready to win a Super Bowl.
    Why would Allen be the top reserve on the outside over Sutton?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    I want to agree but you know how it goes, people with higher draft stock get more time to improve. So even though Hilton is a better slot corner than Burns is on the outside, Burns was a first round pick and that probably balances it out some. It is unfortunate but that is how these things go.

Why would Allen be the top reserve on the outside over Sutton?

Because Brian Allen has the length to play outside and because it would mean that he is progressing and that they would be adding an additional talented player which makes the whole secondary better. More quality depth is always a good thing.

It's always better to have two quality players than one, isn't it?

Remember.....I said in a perfect world. I'm not proclaiming Brian Allen to be that guy. It would be in the team's best interests if he has developed into that.
    Last edited by pczach; 06-05-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Because Brian Allen has the length to play outside and because it would mean that he is progressing and that they would be adding an additional talented player which makes the whole secondary better. More quality depth is always a good thing.

It's always better to have two quality players than one, isn't it?

Remember.....I said in a perfect world. I'm not proclaiming Brian Allen to be that guy. It would be in the team's best interests if he has developed into that.
    I follow you on that, I guess where I was going is that Sutton has the higher stock, so if he is surpassed by Allen it likely also means Sutton didn't quite progress as he should. Basically Sutton should be the top at both spots even if Allen has progressed. At least that is how I would see the "perfect" scenario. You draft pick lives to potential and your no name guy surpasses his. I guess you could make the argument that Allen REALLY blew up even if Sutton plays well also.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The Sutton and Allen outside CB back-up debate would largely rest on how the Steelers play their CBs. If they wanted to go with Burns as the "boundary" and Haden as the "field" style split between the two guys, then the logical back-ups are Burns/Allen and then Haden/Sutton. That puts longer and larger bodied CBs against the sideline with the somewhat smaller and hopefully nimbler guys together. Plus, since the distinction is largely one focused on the college game -- it may not really play into any thought process for the Steelers.

Then Sutton also serves as the primary slot CB reserve as well.

I don't know if the Steelers are really playing their DBs this way at all. They don't really shift sides and they don't seem to just man one guy up. So, basically this is a rambling post that comes back to