Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 free agents the Steelers should consider before training camp

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: 4 free agents the Steelers should consider before training camp

There may be other players that come available down the road, but it's hard to imagine a player that fits better into the system and have the versatility the Steelers are looking for will come available. They already showed interest in a trade to acquire him, so I wouldn't just dismiss the chances of something happening.

The direction of the defense is to have more versatile players that can play multiple positions in multiple schemes. Not only that, but having a fast, athletic LB that can play 4-3, 3-4, and can also play straight up LB while also having the ability to rush the quarterback has to be very enticing to add that to what they already have. A player like him allows for much more deception through personnel sets and alignments, and would really allow them to confuse offenses with who drops and who rushes, while putting another terrific athlete on the field.

This could get interesting. However, if they don't make any attempt to get him, it probably shows that they believe they have what they want for now, or they may be looking to strengthen another area.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

When did the Steelers show interest in trading my for Kendrick’s?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mychal Kendricks rumors: 3 perfect fits

by Russell S. Baxter

Standout linebacker Mychal Kendricks was just cut loose by the defending Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles. Which teams could use him the most?

Best Fits

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

It’s perhaps the first team that is on a lot of people’s minds. Coordinator Keith Butler’s defensive unit just wasn’t the same once inside linebacker Ryan Shazier went down late in 2017. And this was a Pittsburgh defense that was already shaky at best when it came to stopping the pass. Losing a Pro Bowler inside made the Steelers even more vulnerable to the run. The team did sign plugger Jon Bostic to help with the aforementioned issue but he’s not much when it comes to pass coverage. Kendricks could solve quite a few issues for Mike Tomlin’s team. By the way, it’s interesting to note that general manager Kevin Colbert did not use a draft choice on a linebacker in April.

https://fansided.com/2018/05/22/mych...agency-eagles/

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Tre Boston making free-agent visit to Cardinals

By Marc Sessler
    Around the NFL Writer
    Published: May 30, 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...t-to-cardinals

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Mychal Kendricks rumors: 3 perfect fits

by Russell S. Baxter

Standout linebacker Mychal Kendricks was just cut loose by the defending Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles. Which teams could use him the most?

Best Fits

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

It’s perhaps the first team that is on a lot of people’s minds. Coordinator Keith Butler’s defensive unit just wasn’t the same once inside linebacker Ryan Shazier went down late in 2017. And this was a Pittsburgh defense that was already shaky at best when it came to stopping the pass. Losing a Pro Bowler inside made the Steelers even more vulnerable to the run. The team did sign plugger Jon Bostic to help with the aforementioned issue but he’s not much when it comes to pass coverage. Kendricks could solve quite a few issues for Mike Tomlin’s team. By the way, it’s interesting to note that general manager Kevin Colbert did not use a draft choice on a linebacker in April.

https://fansided.com/2018/05/22/mych...agency-eagles/
    Steelers aren’t on his “tour schedule” though and I hear he’s asking for good money...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Steelers aren’t on his “tour schedule” though and I hear he’s asking for good money...
    he ended up signing a one-year contract with a max value of $3.5 million, fairly reasonable imo...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I read an article where Bowman is likely a good fit of the guys left on the market. Something tells me that might have a chance of happening on a short term deal.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I read an article where Bowman is likely a good fit of the guys left on the market. Something tells me that might have a chance of happening on a short term deal.
    I honestly believe the Steelers want to see what they have in VW, Dirty Red, Bostic and Matthew Thomas first before they make any more moves. if they play below the line or in the event of injury, then yes I can see us signing someone like Bowman.