Thread: Proposed new kickoff rules

Senior Member Array title="mark0933 is on a distinguished road">
    Bully Basher Champion!

Question Proposed new kickoff rules

Ok, can someone explain away a flaw I see in the potential new rules. There is a no blocking zone from the kickoff line that extends for 15 yards which the receiving team cannot engage with the kicking team in until the ball is touched or hits the ground. Unless they have changed another rule, the ball is live once it has traveled 10 yards.

So...would a kicking team not be able to pooch kick the ball in a looping in air style with an aim at it landing about 13 yards down field and as long as they can catch it in air effectively be uncontested?

I know that would take a pin point kick and a fast "receiver" to pull it off, but where is the flaw in my plan?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Proposed new kickoff rules

Yeah. The Daves talked about a version of this on the Steelers Depot podcast awhile back. Painted a reasonable scenario where the rule changes to decrease concussions from returns actually increase concussions due to mad scrambles for pooched onsides kicks.

I for one kinda want to see this happen. While I do not want any harm to come to any players, it is highly entertaining to see the NFL just keep stepping on their own dicks.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yeah. The Daves talked about a version of this on the Steelers Depot podcast awhile back. Painted a reasonable scenario where the rule changes to decrease concussions from returns actually increase concussions due to mad scrambles for pooched onsides kicks.

I for one kinda want to see this happen. While I do not want any harm to come to any players, it is highly entertaining to see the NFL just keep stepping on their own dicks.
    Same problems in NCAA level football trying to fix the unfixable

Duke coach David Cutcliffe (who coached up both Manning brothers in their college days) says to avoid creating new problems just end kickoffs.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...208917739.html

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Same problems in NCAA level football trying to fix the unfixable

Duke coach David Cutcliffe (who coached up both Manning brothers in their college days) says to avoid creating new problems just end kickoffs.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...208917739.html
    I don't see how kickoff returns survive the next 3-5 years of the NFL and its modernization efforts to reduce violent collisions. Maybe at the NFL level, but I totally could see youth, high school, and some levels of college ball just doing away with it.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What's the big deal with kickoffs anyway? Just let them go away already. Won't change much of the actual game other than a few times a year somebody does break one for a score. I think I would like it better really. You score, kick the XP/GF2, other team gets the ball at their 20. Fewer bathroom breaks but better football, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

For all practical purposes, kickoffs are not a part of today's game.

Offense starts at the 25....problem solved.

Same for youth, high school, and college.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

OK. 25 works for me too. Same thought.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

To start the game, they get the ball at the 20 (or 25). No one would really miss the kickoff returns.

The problem arises when a team wants to attempt an onside kick.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Hey, by the NFL's logic, they should just make a rule against getting injured on kickoffs and that should take care of the problem. Since making more rules works for everything and whatnot.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    To start the game, they get the ball at the 20 (or 25). No one would really miss the kickoff returns.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

That is actually a pretty big downside to doing away with the kickoff all together. A team down 10 with 2mins left is basically beaten in this scenario with no way to 'steal' a possession.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mark0933 View Post
    Ok, can someone explain away a flaw I see in the potential new rules. There is a no blocking zone from the kickoff line that extends for 15 yards which the receiving team cannot engage with the kicking team in until the ball is touched or hits the ground. Unless they have changed another rule, the ball is live once it has traveled 10 yards.

So...would a kicking team not be able to pooch kick the ball in a looping in air style with an aim at it landing about 13 yards down field and as long as they can catch it in air effectively be uncontested?

I know that would take a pin point kick and a fast "receiver" to pull it off, but where is the flaw in my plan?
    I see your point. The kicking team knows exactly where they will kick the ball and can run to a spot, whereas the receiving team can't block until the ball has travelled 15 yards. Every return team would need to be the 'hands' team.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

I hate seeing it go. A kickoff return for a TD is one of the most exiting plays in football. I saw AB take one in Nashville his rookie year on the opening kickoff and it was probably a top 5 play I've seen live.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What’s that do to the onside kick?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I'll never forget that atrocity.