Thread: New OC Randy Fichtner Impressed By Rookie Class

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

New OC Randy Fichtner Impressed By Rookie Class

It is only the first three days of their NFL careers. But so far, so good for the Pittsburgh Steelers rookies, according to new offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner. That was his overall assessment of the four offensive players the team drafted in an interview with Steelers.com’s Missi Matthews posted earlier Tuesday morning.
    “Bright-eyed, intelligent,” Fichtner said of the class. “There were some things we threw at them that they adjusted pretty well to. Knock on wood, they protected the ball well. A lot of those guys, the skill players, including the quarterback, are going to touch the ball a lot. And ball security is a big in everything we do.”
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05...-rookie-class/

Missi & Fichtner

https://www.steelers.com/video/ficht...on-draft-picks

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: New OC Randy Fichtner Impressed By Rookie Class

As for offensive rookies...

I'm most interested in Washington and Samuels. With our new, young defense needing a few weeks to really gel most likely, this offense needs to score early and often to keep ahead of the pace. You know, the opposite of the last Jax game. If this passing game can get rolling the way it looks on paper we should be ok in the meantime. AB, JuJu, Washington, Bell, Samuels, and the TEs, with Big Ben throwing it around. That sounds very exciting indeed. The offense needs to make it easier for this defense by putting the opposing offense in catch up mode, rendering them one dimensional. Would make it so much easier for the players to learn the defense and how to communicate. As I said last preseason, no reason this offense can't average close to 30 points per game.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    As for offensive rookies...

I'm most interested in Washington and Samuels.

With our new, young defense needing a few weeks to really gel most likely, this offense needs to score early and often to keep ahead of the pace.

You know, the opposite of the last Jax game. If this passing game can get rolling the way it looks on paper we should be ok in the meantime. AB, JuJu, Washington, Bell, Samuels, and the TEs, with Big Ben throwing it around. That sounds very exciting indeed. The offense needs to make it easier for this defense by putting the opposing offense in catch up mode, rendering them one dimensional. Would make it so much easier for the players to learn the defense and how to communicate. As I said last preseason, no reason this offense can't average close to 30 points per game.
    If our red zone efficiency was even average (as opposed to T-28th), I would imagine we would have averaged 30+ ppg last year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...one-efficiency

It would also be nice if we didn't average more than a touchdown less per game on the road...

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

...and getting even further off topic (), our abysmal red zone performance last year (5 rushing touchdowns) is another reason why I cannot see paying Bell any more than 8-9 mil this year, especially when you factor in his average of only 4 ypc last year.

I really think we have all of the tools to hit 30 ppg this year, so hopefully having a new offensive coach and Washington/Samuels, makes the difference!.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

That 30+ points per game average has been promised for a few years.
    On paper and barring season changing injuries they could do it with the talent they have.
    Can't use the Haley card anymore and Ben's happy with Fichtner.
    Time to put up or shut up.