Thread: Antonio Brown as fast as Usain Bolt.

Antonio Brown as fast as Usain Bolt.

Ok, so I am doing my Monday morning routine, which is re-watching the game and being daddy to my little girl.

I decided to actually stop the game on the kick return, and check out the clock. At EXACTLY 14:54 (just the frame before it turns to :53) Antonio Brown was at the 47 yard line, a 40 yard dash would put him at the 13 yard line... at which time the clock says, 14:50 That means he ran 40 yards in aprox 3 and a half seconds. I verified it looking at the FPS, (36 FPS, 115 frames) it came out as 3.2 seconds!! :jawdrop:.

BUT, Brown was looking BACKWARDS for the last 10 yards of the run, slowing down. In frame by frame, you see that he was running 10 yards in what seems an average of 7.7/10ths of a second (36 frames per second, 28 frames on the TV, split into 10 yards, there was 27, 28, and 29 frames per 10 yards, avg. a little under 28, verified by taking the avg FPS times 4, getting 117 FPS, just two frames off. Also the 29 was when he was running around the kicker, which is prob. what through off the numbers). So, for the last 10 yards, when he was looking back, timed out at 30 FPS, which is 8.3/tenths of a second. Thus, he gave up a .05 seconds. That means he was actually running the 40 yards, before looking back, at 3.15 seconds

Just how fast is that? Let's compare it to Usain Bolt, the "Fastest Man in the World." In his 100 M dash, he ran the his fastest 40 meters towards the end, with 10 meter splits, .82, .82, .82, .83 . Now, Add those together, and you get 3.29 seconds for 40 meters, vs. 3.15 seconds for 40 yards. So let's equate them...
    40 meters = 43.75 yards.

3.15 seconds for 40 yards equals .07875 per yard. 40 meters = 43.745 yards. 43.745 x .07875 = 3.444

That means, in the fastest 40 yards of Usain Bolt, Brown was only 15/100ths of a second slower, or 1.5/10ths of a second slower than the "Fastest Man in the World".

Oh yeah, Brown was also wearing a helmet, shoulder pads and carrying a ball. Does that equate to 15/100ths of a second? I sure think it might.

EDIT: Please read again, THE FASTEST OF USAIN BOLTS 40 METERS. That means neither his starting 30 meters, nor his last 10. It is actually, meters 50-90, or his fastest forty meters of the entire sprint.
    Last edited by Craic; 09-20-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Re: Antonio Brown as fast as Usain Bolt.

I know in track and field it takes a good 10-20 yds to get up to speed... yea. once up to speed you should be able to move a little faster than 10 meters (about 10 yds) per second... "once at full speed"...

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Great post Preacher...that is amazing!

I'm a math major so I appreciate the number crunching
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I'm looking forward to seeing much, much more of this young man. That run was amazing! It's hard to believe that the media hasn't even picked up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

In his 100 M dash, he ran the his fastest 40 meters towards the end, with 10 meter splits, .82, .82, .82, .83 .

Now, Add those together, and you get 3.29 seconds for 40 meters, vs. 3.15 seconds for 40 yards. So let's equate them...
    40 meters = 43.75 yards.

3.15 seconds for 40 yards equals .07875 per yard. 40 meters = 43.745 yards. 43.745 x .07875 = 3.444

My thinker-box hurts.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

Yeah the one thing, as somebody mentioned, is that your calculation is using Brown's speed at the 47 yard line, at which point he was already at full speed. Usain Bolt's time is measured from the gunshot and it takes about 30-40 meters just for him to get to full speed. So yes, Antonio Brown is a bullet, but I don't think you can compare him to Usain Bolt just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelempire
    I know in track and field it takes a good 10-20 yds to get up to speed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    Yeah the one thing, as somebody mentioned, is that your calculation is using Brown's speed at the 47 yard line, at which point he was already at full speed. Usain Bolt's time is measured from the gunshot and it takes about 30-40 meters just for him to get to full speed. So yes, Antonio Brown is a bullet, but I don't think you can compare him to Usain Bolt just yet.
    Actually no. I took Usain Bolt's 50-90 Meter split times. So they are both measured at top speed, furthermore, I gave Usain Bolt the benefit of the doubt, and took specifically his top four times. With Brown, he had actually ran further already (part of the wedge, and then reversed back, ran at an angle to the sideline, then during the first 10 yards timed, he was moving just a tad laterally to avoid the punter.

All in all, my calculations, if they show any bias, are weighted towards Usain Bolt, not Brown.

Well Traveled Array title="VTsteel is an unknown quantity at this point"> VTsteel's Avatar

Great post brother . . .

You have way too much time on your hands though

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Actually no. I took Usain Bolt's 50-90 Meter split times. So they are both measured at top speed, furthermore, I gave Usain Bolt the benefit of the doubt, and took specifically his top four times. With Brown, he had actually ran further already (part of the wedge, and then reversed back, ran at an angle to the sideline, then during the first 10 yards timed, he was moving just a tad laterally to avoid the punter.

All in all, my calculations, if they show any bias, are weighted towards Usain Bolt, not Brown.
    Well then. I tip my hat to you, sir.

I Am Become Death Array title="Animal Mother is an unknown quantity at this point"> Animal Mother's Avatar

I think that's a fair comparison of times assuming brown would have maintained constant speed for the last 3.745 yards which isn't unrealistic. I didn't realize he was going that fast until he passed the punter who looked like he was walking in comparison.
    You're a real comedian...

Senior Member Array title="Shawn is an unknown quantity at this point"> Shawn's Avatar

Not bad for a 6th round pick! Officially he ran a 4.43 40 on his pro day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Not bad for a 6th round pick! Officially he ran a 4.43 40 on his pro day.
    Really? Thought his 40 time would be a lot faster. He looks like he's got 4.2 speed from that kickoff return.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Brown isnt even the fastest guy on the team. I would wager that Wallace and maybe Troy are........so no use comparing him to Bolt, but fun to watch him go the distance.

I think the guy most ignored in this game and the previous is Al Everest-Special Teams coach. Definately an improvement in teams.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    Really? Thought his 40 time would be a lot faster. He looks like he's got 4.2 speed from that kickoff return.
    Brown may have faster long speed (100m) than a 40 time. Some of the fastest guys at 40 or 60 metres in indoor track are not the fastest at 100m outdoor. Guys like Usain Bolt, Donovan Bailey or Carl Lewis were never strong indoor sprinters.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

we might have had the deepest draft of talent in the league this year. good job by the front office finding this guy and the others

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Brown isnt even the fastest guy on the team. I would wager that Wallace and maybe Troy are........so no use comparing him to Bolt, but fun to watch him go the distance.

I think the guy most ignored in this game and the previous is Al Everest-Special Teams coach. Definately an improvement in teams.
    I'm pretty sure its Wallace, Taylor... after that, I'm not sure... Sure liked it when Taylor chased down Chris Johnson on that bogus TD run (that was called back due to holding). If that receiver was not there to block Taylor, Johnson gets caught. But it is known that Taylor is the fastest CB in the league...

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Brown may have faster long speed (100m) than a 40 time. Some of the fastest guys at 40 or 60 metres in indoor track are not the fastest at 100m outdoor. Guys like Usain Bolt, Donovan Bailey or Carl Lewis were never strong indoor sprinters.
    Also have to remember that these numbers don't include start times. So it is basically measuring the fastest 40 yards at top speed, not from a dead stop.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

He is one fast guy. We need speed so the more the better.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Yeah, I think Ike is the fastest on the team with Wallace a close 2nd. Troy has 0-20 yd speed that is insane though.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    I'm pretty sure its Wallace, Taylor... after that, I'm not sure... Sure liked it when Taylor chased down Chris Johnson on that bogus TD run (that was called back due to holding). If that receiver was not there to block Taylor, Johnson gets caught. But it is known that Taylor is the fastest CB in the league...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Running a 40 with a headstart would be a huge advantage. No one runs a 40 yard dash in 3.15 seconds. I wish...

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Yeah, I think Ike is the fastest on the team with Wallace a close 2nd. Troy has 0-20 yd speed that is insane though.
    With both Ike and Wallace, I have to wonder if both their speeds are just as much quickness as top speed. I really have to wonder, if Brown has the fastest TOP END speed on the team.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    My thinker-box hurts.
    Yeah, I have a hard enough time just trying to remember the score of the game the next day.

Great job though, Preacher.

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

The fastest timed speed that I could find on Wallace is 4.32...

Taylor was clocked at 4.18 at the Louisiana-Lafayette's Pro Day in 2003 (hand held) and was timed electronically by speed coach Tim Shaw at 4.26...

"Ike is the fastest kid I've ever trained,'' Shaw said.

Shaw said that would include Tennessee running back Chris Johnson, who ran the fastest time ever at the combine (4.24), and Sanders, who ran a 4.27 for No. 2 on the combine list.
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_635267.html
    The best timed speed I could find for Antonio Brown is 4.43 at his pro day
    Last edited by LLT; 09-21-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --