Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Jaylen Samuels Can Help Now

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

How Jaylen Samuels Can Help Now

How Jaylen Samuels “Mr. Everything” can help the Steelers from Year 1

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted their own Swiss Army Knife when they picked Jaylen Samuels in the 2018 NFL Draft.

The Pittsburgh Steelers rookies are currently at minicamp, and there are a lot of black-and-gold fans who are still wrapping their heads around the newest additions to the team.

Everyone knows about Mason Rudolph and Terrell Edmunds, but the one player many fans might still be learning about would be Jaylen Samuels, the fifth round pick from North Carolina State.

While some writers are suggesting the Steelers won’t get many contributions from their rookie class, Samuels certainly could break down this line of thinking. The man dubbed “Mr. Everything” in the below highlight film is certainly just that.

Mr. Everything

Samuels is truly the jack of all trades. A player who can run the ball, run routes, block and when in the open field is truly dangerous. For the Steelers, even as loaded as they are on offense, they would be foolish to not utilize a player with this talent. He certainly isn’t an every down player as a rookie, but someone would could definitely put his hand in the pile and help contribute to the team.

Check out the highlight reel below, and while it is easy to show a player’s best plays, it is clear after watching just what Samuels can bring to the black-and-gold in 2018.

(Continued)

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...veon-bell-news
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: How Jaylen Samuels Can Help Now

he looks to be a much better runner than given credit for ...

just because someone was not asked to do something a lot does not mean he cant do it or won't do it well ..

the days of a Bell cow RB in the NFL are all but gone for the most part , Samuels is the new age RB ( 5 years ahead of his time perhaps ) the NFL is a copycat league Samuels may be the guy who becomes the mold everyone else begins to seek ...

maybe this time Colbert and company are ahead of the curve , could be the steal of the entire draft if it pans out
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    he looks to be a much better runner than given credit for ...

just because someone was not asked to do something a lot does not mean he cant do it or won't do it well ..

the days of a Bell cow RB in the NFL are all but gone for the most part , Samuels is the new age RB ( 5 years ahead of his time perhaps ) the NFL is a copycat league Samuels may be the guy who becomes the mold everyone else begins to seek ...

maybe this time Colbert and company are ahead of the curve , could be the steal of the entire draft if it pans out
    From the little bit of his video/game tape I just watched I thought he looked better as a receiver.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    From the little bit of his video/game tape I just watched I thought he looked better as a receiver.

oh he is a very very good receiver , kind of my point .... the NFL is more and more a passing league every year ...

so a guy who can catch the ball like a WR but still offers a viable option to run is headed to be the trend because teams no longer run the ball 35+ times a game , that number is a shrinking violet and a pure RB is nearing the point of extinction ....

I looks for teams to eventually move to guys like Samuel who are truly receivers that have the ability to be used as a RB 10 or so times a game instead of RBs who can be used as a receiver a handful of times a game

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

If he can catch out of the backfield and pass protect Ben on 3rd down, then good running might be a the next necessary quality in a new RB.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

At 225LBS, he should have ability to block as H back. But imagine that the Steelers go with 2WR and 1TE in McDonald as personnel grouping with Bell and Samuels as RB's......they can shift to 5 wide and chances are that Samuels, Bell, McDonald create athletic mismatches for the LB's that have to cover them. Having 2 really good dual threat RB's can be interesting.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I was expecting the entire article to be about kick returns, as usual for this kind of draft pick, but that's a pleasant surprise.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    At 225LBS, he should have ability to block as H back. But imagine that the Steelers go with 2WR and 1TE in McDonald as personnel grouping with Bell and Samuels as RB's......they can shift to 5 wide and chances are that Samuels, Bell, McDonald create athletic mismatches for the LB's that have to cover them. Having 2 really good dual threat RB's can be interesting.
    That would require them to put two actual running backs on the field at the same time, which I have a feeling if you asked the coaching staff about, they'd look at you like you'd just said you had two dicks. The concept has been completely taboo to us for like the last 10+ years. Even when you have the personnel to do it and would benefit from doing it - you just don't. Sssshhhhhhh.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    That would require them to put two actual running backs on the field at the same time, which I have a feeling if you asked the coaching staff about, they'd look at you like you'd just said you had two dicks. The concept has been completely taboo to us for like the last 10+ years. Even when you have the personnel to do it and would benefit from doing it - you just don't. Sssshhhhhhh.
    True, but the only thing is that Samuels has been described as an H back or more of a TE. My point is that you can put him there to block and teams will have their base defense in, Ben can audible out to spread formation. If they go with a sub package, then if he is an effective enough blocker, then you can audible to a run and have the advantage.

Likewise, the OC could draw up a fake screen pass to #26 and have the screen actually goto Samuels. Or, he could put in dual option screen, where Ben has the option to throw screen pass to either side of the field, depending on the defensive front and alignment that the defense is running.

Having another player that is so flexible can allow for a big variety of plays to be added that lets an experienced QB make reads and changes. He becomes a much bigger threat as a playmaker than Nix would be.

True, but the only thing is that Samuels has been described as an H back or more of a TE. My point is that you can put him there to block and teams will have their base defense in, Ben can audible out to spread formation. If they go with a sub package, then if he is an effective enough blocker, then you can audible to a run and have the advantage.

Likewise, the OC could draw up a fake screen pass to #26 and have the screen actually goto Samuels. Or, he could put in dual option screen, where Ben has the option to throw screen pass to either side of the field, depending on the defensive front and alignment that the defense is running.

Having another player that is so flexible can allow for a big variety of plays to be added that lets an experienced QB make reads and changes. He becomes a much bigger threat as a playmaker than Nix would be.
    I agree with all of this 100% ... but I will believe it when I see it.

The unfortunate fact is that as a roughly 6-foot, 225-pound player, they probably are not going to classify him as a TE, they probably also are not going to classify him as a WR, and Nix is the fullback. So Samuels gets pigeonholed as the third-string / situational RB and is only on the field when Bell is not. At most, he's occasionally on the field with Bell strictly as a decoy, and the play goes to Bell because you have to get your best player touches, etc., etc.

I mean, I really want to believe they'll consider doing what you say, but I've seen this situation play out the opposite of that too many times to get my hopes up.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The unfortunate fact is that as a roughly 6-foot, 225-pound player, they probably are not going to classify him as a TE, they probably also are not going to classify him as a WR, and Nix is the fullback. So Samuels gets pigeonholed as the third-string / situational RB and is only on the field when Bell is not. At most, he's occasionally on the field with Bell strictly as a decoy, and the play goes to Bell because you have to get your best player touches, etc., etc.

I mean, I really want to believe they'll consider doing what you say, but I've seen this situation play out the opposite of that too many times to get my hopes up.
    But unless I miss my guess, never with a player as talented and role-flexible as Samuels seems to be.

Lets face reality right now. He may not even make the 53.

But, just look at his stats and you see he is a playmaker, so I guess that he does make it as the #3 RB or #4TE, or something like that. Its up to his special teams play to earn a hat on sundays and then he could be a versatile part of the offense. Bell, Brown, JuJu, Washington and TE's....its a crowded group who all want the football.

Bell, Brown, JuJu, Washington and TE's....its a crowded group who all want the football.
    a good problem to have ....

also thinking this pick could have also impart been an insurance policy as to not have to change the game plan if Bell decides to sit out part of the year over being tagged ...

Samuel steps in and the game plan does not necessarily have to change from what it would look like with Bell playing vs not playing

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    a good problem to have ....

also thinking this pick could have also impart been an insurance policy as to not have to change the game plan if Bell decides to sit out part of the year over being tagged ...

Samuel steps in and the game plan does not necessarily have to change from what it would look like with Bell playing vs not playing
    I think that was/is the biggest motivation behind the pick. Bell injury insurance in 2018 and Bell leaving town insurance for 2019+. Based on the clips I've seen, Samuels looks far more comfortable doing the pass game stuff than Conner ever has.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    If he can catch out of the backfield and pass protect Ben on 3rd down, then good running might be a the next necessary quality in a new RB.
    heres the thing though, thats supposed to be the one thing Samuels isnt good at if scouting reports are any good indication
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    heres the thing though, thats supposed to be the one thing Samuels isnt good at if scouting reports are any good indication
    True, but the kid has 31 career TD's and 15 receiving TD's. I don't think he was drafted with the thought of being a 3rd down pass protector. I think he was drafted as a 3rd down pass receiving option and a playmaker that can find the end zone.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

True, but the kid has 31 career TD's and 15 receiving TD's. I don't think he was drafted with the thought of being a 3rd down pass protector. I think he was drafted as a 3rd down pass receiving option and a playmaker that can find the end zone.
    i dont see this defense being used on Conner, who was drafted much earlier.

im excited for Samuels, but i think were counting out the potential significance of Conner's development this season
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Wait a minute.... I thought Bell was the only RB that could run and catch...

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    i dont see this defense being used on Conner, who was drafted much earlier.

im excited for Samuels, but i think were counting out the potential significance of Conner's development this season
    Because Conner can not only NOT pass block, but he doesn't seem to be half the natural receiver Samuels is on some college tape.

Conner is a two down back with hopes of being adequate on 3rd down.

Samuels is a 3rd down weapon with hopes of being adequate as a change of pace runner.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I just hope that keeping him means we finally get rid of Touissant.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Samuels Fits the Culture theme. The fact that he is willing to play all of these positions tells me he will do anything to help his team win. Also we drafted Hines Ward in the 3rd round who also was considered to be a jack of all trades and master of none.

Culture- The one KEY factor that the Steelers are missing.
    Culture- The one Key factor we had when we won the superbowls a decade ago.
    Culture- The one thing that every draft pick have in common this year is they are High Character guys.

*Getting rid of Bryant was a key indication they are taking action to get the cancers out of the locker room.

Lev Bell right now is the only player I can think of that still has that "me first" attitude . Maybe it will change if and when his playing time reduces because of Samuel/ Conner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Because Conner can not only NOT pass block, but he doesn't seem to be half the natural receiver Samuels is on some college tape.

Conner is a two down back with hopes of being adequate on 3rd down.

Samuels is a 3rd down weapon with hopes of being adequate as a change of pace runner.
    Great summation!

Samuels skillset reminds me of former Charger RB Ronnie Harmon.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

If the offense were to show that look and then light up the defense with the pass, the defense probably tries to go small with only nickel and dime looks that then makes the offense try to impose their will on the small lineup with the run game. If they can hurt them with the run game, the defense starts to guess and cheat either towards the run or the pass, and that's when the big plays happen.

Sound familiar?.......

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I should have read down further before my response to you!

Great summation!

Samuels skillset reminds me of former Charger RB Ronnie Harmon.
    Late career Keith Byers would be the dream scenario in my mind.

Can’t hope that Samuels is that good, I think Byers went like 10 or 12 overall.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Really the only way I can see to get Samuels in the game and help maximize his potential is to run a lot of 2 back sets with him and Bell on the field at the same time. It is Fichtner now so we can hope that is a possibility because we rarely saw it when they had the opportunity with D Will and Bell.

Seems like he is a good receiver so TE as an obvious option but there are questions about his blocking. So if anytime he comes in the game teams know he isn't likely to be blocking that is going to raise some flags.

Like the pick but am still having trouble seeing the bright future a lot of others seem to be. He would be ideal if we had less mouths to feed already.

Jesse James can't block and he gets to play in critical situations. They even throw him the ball sometimes.

If nothing else, maybe Samuels can push Touissant/Ridley off the roster by providing some of the same things in a cheaper and younger package?

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Jesse James can't block and he gets to play in critical situations. They even throw him the ball sometimes.

If nothing else, maybe Samuels can push Touissant/Ridley off the roster by providing some of the same things in a cheaper and younger package?
    I have him making the roster as the third RB. Just don't have high hopes of him offering much to the offense because of all of the weapons. I think he is definitely capable, but so are the other guys.

As for James, he is a decent blocker and they actually use him in that role. I am talking about if they bring Samuels in but never have him block. It would become predictable. Hopefully he can develop into a solid blocker.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He will be a new toy for Tomlin and the OC. That means he'll get a small window to make an impact but he better produce quickly or he'll be out on the shelf. That seems to be the precedent set in the past with these type of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    I have him making the roster as the third RB. Just don't have high hopes of him offering much to the offense because of all of the weapons. I think he is definitely capable, but so are the other guys.

As for James, he is a decent blocker and they actually use him in that role. I am talking about if they bring Samuels in but never have him block. It would become predictable. Hopefully he can develop into a solid blocker.
    James is a horrible blocker. There are roughly 1-3 plays per game that are stalled or stopped because Jesse gets overpowered or whiffs on a block. I strongly believe they keep using him because there is no one else.

There is no way you can convince me that Samuels Cant whiff blocks just as well as James and offer far more in the passing game. His stats won’t be great but what he brings to the offense as a flexible role player will be greatly valuable.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar