Thread: Roethlisberger: Steelers have not offered a contract extension

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Roethlisberger: Steelers have not offered a contract extension

Roethlisberger: Steelers have not offered a contract extension

Roethlisberger has two years remaining on his current contract.

Bryan DeArdo - May 6

The fallout from Ben Roethlisberger's interview with 93.7 The Fan's Ron Cook and Andrew Fillipponi has mostly been centered on Big Ben's surprise that the Steelers spent a third round pick on a quarterback, as Pittsburgh traded up to take Mason Rudolph with the 76th pick.

But Big Ben was also asked about his contract situation and whether or not he and the Steelers would try to come to terms on an extension sometime before the start of the 2018 season. Roethlisberger, who has two years remaining on his current contract, has recently said that he is considering playing several years beyond his current contract.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...sion-118012684

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Roethlisberger: Steelers have not offered a contract extension

They're saving it for when they need that sweet sweet restructure $$$, numb nuts.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Keep digging that hole, Ben.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I think that this one thing, unlike Ben's pissy little comments about Rudolph and the Steelers FO, that was taken out of context. I think he just stated that there hasn't been too much talk yet. He also basically that if they approach him about contract stuff, he'll listen.

Move along....nothing to see.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Another hilarious, all about nothing, thread.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

with Matt Ryan signing for $30 million/year, are the Steelers going to want to give Ben that kind of $$$ two years from now?

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Something I have had in my head for a while, which means absolutely nothing really.

I don't think Ben ever had any intentions of leaving football. His talk about retirement was a tool he wanted to use in his contract extension talk. " Give me what I want or I will retire." When the Steelers drafted a QB they were telling him that would be prepared to move on if they had to. (Not that they really wanted to.) This doesn't cancel out the retirement threat as a negotiation tool, but it does lessen it a bit. I think this may very well be a large part of his anger, and not just that the Steelers drafted his possible some day replacement. Just an idea, could be a load of HS. Could be he's just being an ass.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Something I have had in my head for a while, which means absolutely nothing really.

I don't think Ben ever had any intentions of leaving football. His talk about retirement was a tool he wanted to use in his contract extension talk. " Give me what I want or I will retire." When the Steelers drafted a QB they were telling him that would be prepared to move on if they had to. (Not that they really wanted to.) This doesn't cancel out the retirement threat as a negotiation tool, but it does lessen it a bit. I think this may very well be a large part of his anger, and not just that the Steelers drafted his possible some day replacement. Just an idea, could be a load of HS. Could be he's just being an ass.
    I read somewhere that his "retirement" talk also had something to do with wanting to get rid of Todd Haley...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I read somewhere that his "retirement" talk also had something to do with wanting to get rid of Todd Haley...
    This.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Why would they when Rudolph will be on a 4 year deal?
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Those are coming more and more...lol. They should just trade Ben, you know because he’s soooo dumb, and has a big mouth and is a drama queen and Mason Rudolph is so much younger and better...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I don't think anyone has questioned Ben's ability, just his reaction to the draft.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They should just trade Ben, you know because he’s soooo dumb, and has a big mouth and is a drama queen
    if only Ben studied more film and was a better leader like Peyton...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Keep digging that hole, Ben.
    Yeah, he might just lose his spot on the depth chart over this if he's not careful...

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This. Is it late July yet?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don't think anyone has questioned Ben's ability, just his reaction to the draft.
    Cause he’s said pretty much what every other QB before him said and because arguably the greatest QB to ever wear a Steelers uniform said he’s not leaving anytime soon?? Lol. I’d much rather have a QB that has his bags packed and is ready to teach some third round pick to take over for him by mid season. That’s the kind of attitude we want from a “real QB”. A real company guy...they should just save time and ship him out with Bell...lol.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Cause he’s said pretty much what every other QB before him said and because arguably the greatest QB to ever wear a Steelers uniform said he’s not leaving anytime soon?? Lol. I’d much rather have a QB that has his bags packed and is ready to teach some third round pick to take over for him by mid season. That’s the kind of attitude we want from a “real QB”. A real company guy...they should just save time and ship him out with Bell...lol.
    I hope he comes out mad and fires up his teammates to another ring(s).

The only reason I am answering this is because you used my post to go off on your little tangent. You either aren't reading what is being said, or don't care. I haven't read many people say they wanted to get rid of Ben, or replace him as the starter, I know I haven't. If you can find anyplace where I posted anything against Ben other than I think he is acting immature, or anything about Bell at all, please repost it and I will apologize. I really can't remember one.

AML

The only reason I am answering this is because you used my post to go off on your little tangent. You either aren't reading what is being said, or don't care. I haven't read many people say they wanted to get rid of Ben, or replace him as the starter, I know I haven't. If you can find anyplace where I posted anything against Ben other than I think he is acting immature, or anything about Bell at all, please repost it and I will apologize. I really can't remember one.
    Point of the post was that he’s not doing anything any other QB hasn’t done. It’s not his job to teach Rudolph. His job is to be prepared to play every week. It’s Rudolph’s job to learn and the coaches job to teach.

Everyone wants to rag on Ben because he’s answering media questions. Sure he’s not the best at it, or maybe he is...he’s not lying in anything he’s saying. Rudolph’s not coming in to start, it’s not his job to teach Rudolph and the Steelers haven’t offered him a contract extension (which they clearly should). Yet he’s getting ragged on (not singling you out) and put into that “Bell and Harrison Category”.

Point of the post was that he’s not doing anything any other QB hasn’t done. It’s not his job to teach Rudolph. His job is to be prepared to play every week. It’s Rudolph’s job to learn and the coaches job to teach.

Everyone wants to rag on Ben because he’s answering media questions. Sure he’s not the best at it, or maybe he is...he’s not lying in anything he’s saying. Rudolph’s not coming in to start, it’s not his job to teach Rudolph and the Steelers haven’t offered him a contract extension (which they clearly should). Yet he’s getting ragged on (not singling you out) and put into that “Bell and Harrison Category”.
    I'm not ragging on Ben. I have always thought he was a little immature, so are a lot of the posters here, including me. Thats just Ben. Not sure I would change that either. Gives us something to talk about in the off season.

To be honest, I think when they get down to business Ben will do more teaching than he or any of us think. If I were Rudolph I would stay close to Ben, watch every move, and not be afraid to ask questions. I betcha he will get an answer. Ben knows the enemy is the guys not in a Steeler uniform. Like I said, I think he will teach, but he will be more concentrated on winning on the field, and he should be.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

where can I find a morsel and turn it into something much larger based on well ... conjecture

where is that morsel ....

where is that morsel it must be somewhere ....

I need a morsel , where the morsel , gotta have a morsel .....

OHHHHH Ben spoke something that I MIGHT be able to transform into something else completely different !!!

I have found my morsel now its time to make up a story !!!!
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Generally, the Steelers do not extend players until they are in the final year of their contracts. I believe that they’ve redone Ben’s deal with two years left (rules are different for franchise QBs).

But... this season barely started, and the draft was kind of a big priority for Colbert. So, yeah, I wouldn’t expect a new contract to have been offered.