Thread: Quick Hits from Rookie Mini Camp

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quick Hits from Rookie Mini Camp

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: Quick Hits from Rookie Mini Camp

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

It's just a number, and really no big deal at all, but I sure hope Washington changes his number before the season starts.. Hoping he'd go with #80, or #82.

Edmunds probably takes #22 if Ridley is cut.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Probably so.

But, I was hoping he’d go with a number in the 40’s, since those numbers can be worn by both LBs and DBs... you know, since he will play at both LB and DB.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Probably so.

But, I was hoping he’d go with a number in the 40’s, since those numbers can be worn by both LBs and DBs... you know, since he will play at both LB and DB.
    Hopefully he plays more at safety. I want Burnett as a LB in Sub Package. He knows how to defend TE's
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    It's just a number, and really no big deal at all, but I sure hope Washington changes his number before the season starts.. Hoping he'd go with #80, or #82.

82 was Stallworth

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

No Steeler number gets retired. I don't mind seeing them get reused at all. Haven't had a #75 in a long time. All the great players just pass on the mojo they leave with that number, IMO. On that thought, maybe retire #13.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    No Steeler number gets retired. I don't mind seeing them get reused at all. Haven't had a #75 in a long time. All the great players just pass on the mojo they leave with that number, IMO. On that thought, maybe retire #13.
    LOL yeah I agree

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Technically, two Steelers numbers are retired: 70 & 75 (Stautner & Greene).

Several numbers have have not been issued since certain players have worn them: 1 (Anderson) 12 (Bradshaw), 32 (Harris), 36 (Bettis), 52 (Webster), 58 (Lambert), 59 (Ham), and 63 (Dawson).

It’s only been a short while, but you can add: 43 (Polamalu) and 86 (Ward).

47 (Blount) was worn once (Scott Shields).

Until Keyshawn Johnson petitioned to allow receivers to wear numbers in the teens, the only numbers that they could wear were 80-89, which is why 82 & 88 have been used many times by many players throughout the years.

If I were to get rid of any number, it’d be 14. (SuperBowl XXX, Sweed)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Technically, two Steelers numbers are retired: 70 & 75 (Stautner & Greene).

Several numbers have have not been issued since certain players have worn them: 12 (Bradshaw), 32 (Harris), 36 (Bettis), 52 (Webster), 58 (Lambert), 59 (Ham), and 63 (Dawson).

47 (Blount) was worn once (Scott Shields).

Until Keyshawn Johnson petitioned to allow receivers to wear numbers in the teens, the only numbers that they could wear were 80-89, which is why 82 & 88 have been used many times by many players throughout the years.

If I were to get rid of any number, it’d be 14. (SuperBowl XXX, Sweed)
    I thought the Steelers didn't officially retire numbers. Either way I never really liked the whole number retirement thing. After all the number didn't do anything. And just maybe knowing who wore that number before may push and motivate the new guy wearing it. No reason why it would make a player lazier.

On the other foot, a number that has been historically bad for a team could maybe be taken out of use. Again not that the number had anything to do with it, but people do react to superstition even if subconsciously. OR, if Shazier really is done due to that injury I could see #50 staying on the shelf for a while.

Just saying, it wouldn't bother me a bit to see a RB wearing #32 or #36 again. And I believe this defense could use some #58 and #59 attitude this season.

Anyway this is all just random silliness after all, right?

I thought the Steelers didn't officially retire numbers. Either way I never really liked the whole number retirement thing. After all the number didn't do anything. And just maybe knowing who wore that number before may push and motivate the new guy wearing it. No reason why it would make a player lazier.

On the other foot, a number that has been historically bad for a team could maybe be taken out of use. Again not that the number had anything to do with it, but people do react to superstition even if subconsciously. OR, if Shazier really is done due to that injury I could see #50 staying on the shelf for a while.

Just saying, it wouldn't bother me a bit to see a RB wearing #32 or #36 again. And I believe this defense could use some #58 and #59 attitude this season.

Too soon

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't think #'s 32 and 58 should ever be re-issued.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Thanks Sue!

BlackAndGold, that avatar of Tomlin & Rudolph cracks me up!

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Maybe #90 can play both? (32 + 58)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post

You're such a sucker for the old guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    82 was Stallworth
    Also Antwaan Randle El.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Thanks Sue!

BlackAndGold, that avatar of Tomlin & Rudolph cracks me up!
    It's love at first sight haha.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You're such a sucker for the old guard.
    Yep.

No sense trying to hide it.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

....yes 70 and 75 are OFFICIALLY retired.