Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    4,626

    Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Steelers rookie linebacker Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    RAY FITTIPALDO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    MAY 11, 2018

    The Steelers raised a few eyebrows when they did not draft an inside linebacker, their biggest area of need after losing Pro Bowler Ryan Shazier to injury. But the Steelers did sign an intriguing undrafted free agent at the position, and he’s someone who will have an opportunity to make the roster this summer.

    Former Florida State linebacker Matthew Thomas is one of 13 undrafted free agents the Steelers signed after the draft. He comes to the Steelers with a resume filled with high levels of production for one of the top teams in the Atlantic Coast Conference, but he also carries some off-the-field baggage, including some early suspensions and injuries that led to him being bypassed in the draft.

    to read rest of article:

    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201805110138

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Really hope he develops. He's a very talented player.


  3. #3
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,403

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    He should be able to at least make the roster given how thin the ILB position is.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    6,526

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Thomas had the highest SPARQ score of any ILB in the draft (148.6).

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell is a splendid one to behold"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    275

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Thomas had the highest SPARQ score of any ILB in the draft (148.6).
    Wonder how an insider backer with this much talent doesn't at least get drafted in the 7th round. But awesome, we need all the help we can get at ILB

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Thomas had the highest SPARQ score of any ILB in the draft (148.6).
    If he can mature and put it all together, man he could be good.

    Also, we've been pretty good with Florida State Linebackers, hopefully he's next.


  7. #7
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    6,526

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Wonder how an insider backer with this much talent doesn't at least get drafted in the 7th round. But awesome, we need all the help we can get at ILB
    Good question.

    Right after the 2017 draft, Matthews was listed as a sure-fire, top 15 pick in the 2018 draft. Then, he plummeted. If he can get even half of that mojo back, we have ourselves a steal.

    Oh... and a correction. His SPARQ score was the highest of ANY linebacker in the draft (inside and outside).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    If he can mature and put it all together, man he could be good.
    No risk / high reward

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    2,517

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Here's a quick draft breakdown that they have of Thomas at NFL.com:

    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/MATTHE...2-43ff05f442ff

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    in a cave
    Gender
    Posts
    2,025

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Here's a quick draft breakdown that they have of Thomas at NFL.com:

    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/MATTHE...2-43ff05f442ff


    quite a few lights have to turn on quickly if he is to ever make an impact for anything more than special teams ...

    maybe he gets a Hub implant ..... Alexa turn on all the lights
    Websters definition of Arm Chair QB
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/image.php?u=1634&type=sigpic&dateline=1505961486

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Gender
    Posts
    2,442

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    quite a few lights have to turn on quickly if he is to ever make an impact for anything more than special teams ...

    maybe he gets a Hub implant ..... Alexa turn on all the lights
    How do you explain his productivity the past two seasons, leading his team in tackles?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    in a cave
    Gender
    Posts
    2,025

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    How do you explain his productivity the past two seasons, leading his team in tackles?

    he plays back , watch his tape he lets the ball come to him he is not an attack athlete / read diagnose is not his forte ... that is a huge missing piece in the nfl game

    Larry Foote accumulated a ton of tackles too 5 yards beyond the LOS , and was always considered a guy needing to be upgraded because of it
    Websters definition of Arm Chair QB
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/image.php?u=1634&type=sigpic&dateline=1505961486

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    2,517

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    quite a few lights have to turn on quickly if he is to ever make an impact for anything more than special teams ...

    maybe he gets a Hub implant ..... Alexa turn on all the lights


    He has some real work to do from a personal standpoint IMO. He has many physical gifts, but he hasn't shown that he can figure out how to attack the game from a mental and psychological standpoint.

    I wish this kid the best. Losing his mom was a real blow. I know I would have been reeling if it had been me too, but he needs to find a way to focus all his energy into putting everything together in his life and becoming the sum of his parts.

    Hopefully he has matured and finds a way to maximize his abilities. His talent is staggering.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    in a cave
    Gender
    Posts
    2,025

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    as a side note , I really hope this kids finds his way .... not trying to dog him in any way but it would be foolish to over look his flaws and blindly think because he is an athletic freak he will play great football ..

    he has warts 32 teams had a shot at him many times over and yet we got him as an UDFA ( I had him in the 7th round in our mock draft contest here ) so there is plenty to like at the cost and I am thrilled to have him because he is well worth the almost nonexistent risk and he could turn into a gem ...

    that said I just am not going to bank on it coming to fruition but I sure hope it does
    Websters definition of Arm Chair QB
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/image.php?u=1634&type=sigpic&dateline=1505961486

  14. #14
    Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Gender
    Posts
    2,442

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    he plays back , watch his tape he lets the ball come to him he is not an attack athlete / read diagnose is not his forte ... that is a huge missing piece in the nfl game

    Larry Foote accumulated a ton of tackles too 5 yards beyond the LOS , and was always considered a guy needing to be upgraded because of it
    I haven't watched and probably won't, so I'll take your word for it. That said, the only possible excuse would be that's what FSU wanted him to do, to some degree. Some of these great college coaches aren't that great IMO. His athleticism is off the charts so I hope he gets it together.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Gender
    Posts
    8,161

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    as a side note , I really hope this kids finds his way ....

    not trying to dog him in any way but it would be foolish to over look his flaws and blindly think because he is an athletic freak he will play great football ..

    he has warts 32 teams had a shot at him many times over and yet we got him as an UDFA ( I had him in the 7th round in our mock draft contest here ) so there is plenty to like at the cost and I am thrilled to have him because he is well worth the almost nonexistent risk and he could turn into a gem ...

    that said I just am not going to bank on it coming to fruition but I sure hope it does
    Like Burfict?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

  16. #16
    Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    6,974

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Like Burfict?

    you're reading my mind!
    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

    --Richard Feynmann

  17. #17
    Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    in a cave
    Gender
    Posts
    2,025

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Like Burfict?

    nah Burfict is on a whole other planet , he is just a ruthless dirty player with no moral compass on the football field ...

    Thomas has some off field stuff but nothing to alarming , he went through a lot I sorta get it ... my whole thing is the on field issues/holes in his game if you will ... if he can somehow have the light go on in this system I am all for it ....

    if you took Dirty Reds instincts and feel for the game and gave him Thomas's athletic ability you would have the mold of a perfect ILB that everyone would want
    Websters definition of Arm Chair QB
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/image.php?u=1634&type=sigpic&dateline=1505961486

  18. #18
    Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    6,974

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    nah Burfict is on a whole other planet , he is just a ruthless dirty player with no moral compass on the football field ...

    Thomas has some off field stuff but nothing to alarming , he went through a lot I sorta get it ... my whole thing is the on field issues/holes in his game if you will ... if he can somehow have the light go on in this system I am all for it ....

    if you took Dirty Reds instincts and feel for the game and gave him Thomas's athletic ability you would have the mold of a perfect ILB that everyone would want
    I was thinking Burfict with out this part.
    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

    --Richard Feynmann

  19. #19
    Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Treasure Coast
    Posts
    10,683

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    He could follow the path of James Harrison or he could be working for UPS.
    All Defense!

  20. #20
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,480

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Wonder how an insider backer with this much talent doesn't at least get drafted in the 7th round.
    As per Lance Zeirline at NFL.com

    Thomas is lacking in many of the areas teams covet in linebacker play. His instincts are poor, he doesn't always play with a competitive demeanor, he's not a downhill player and he lacks play strength and productivity for the position. However, Thomas does possess a long frame with outstanding play speed and the potential to make plays. It's his athletic traits and "potential" that will give him a shot as a WILL linebacker who will need to excel on special teams to stick with a team long-term.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    in a cave
    Gender
    Posts
    2,025

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    As per Lance Zeirline at NFL.com

    Thomas is lacking in many of the areas teams covet in linebacker play. His instincts are poor, he doesn't always play with a competitive demeanor, he's not a downhill player and he lacks play strength and productivity for the position. However, Thomas does possess a long frame with outstanding play speed and the potential to make plays. It's his athletic traits and "potential" that will give him a shot as a WILL linebacker who will need to excel on special teams to stick with a team long-term.
    actually that's a damn good take
    Websters definition of Arm Chair QB
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/image.php?u=1634&type=sigpic&dateline=1505961486

  22. #22
    Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Gender
    Posts
    2,442

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Maybe the light goes on now that he knows his livelihood is on the line, hanging by a undrafted free agent thread? We can hope...

  23. #23
    Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    in a cave
    Gender
    Posts
    2,025

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Maybe the light goes on now that he knows his livelihood is on the line, hanging by a undrafted free agent thread? We can hope...

    oh definitely can hope ..I actually think he has a decent shot at making the team for what one would think would be ST ability if nothing else ... but its all a guess at this point ...but if that light comes on ??? oh boy
    Websters definition of Arm Chair QB
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/image.php?u=1634&type=sigpic&dateline=1505961486

  24. #24
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    6,526

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Here’s what is interesting...

    Tyler Matakevich:
    Great football smarts, good instincts, not very athletic, poor speed = tackles made 5 yards downfield

    Matthew Thomas:
    Awful football smarts, poor instincts, very athletic, great speed = tackles made 5 yards downfield

    SUMMATION:
    Yes... let’s meld them into one human: Matthekevich.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    in a cave
    Gender
    Posts
    2,025

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    we had comparisons of polar opposites thus ....

    - We all Knew Teegre would use the word SUMMATION and tie it up in a nice neat little package before the thread ended

    Thanks for being on time buddy
    Websters definition of Arm Chair QB
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/image.php?u=1634&type=sigpic&dateline=1505961486

  26. #26
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,480

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    we had comparisons of polar opposites thus ....

    - We all Knew Teegre would use the word SUMMATION and tie it up in a nice neat little package before the thread ended

    Thanks for being on time buddy
    great call, it was gonna happen.

    BTW, I love that word Summation. I use it all the time, like Uzbekistan is summation in Europe that I cant find on a map.

  27. #27
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    6,526

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    we had comparisons of polar opposites thus ....

    - We all Knew Teegre would use the word SUMMATION and tie it up in a nice neat little package before the thread ended

    Thanks for being on time buddy


  28. #28
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    4,626

    Re: Steelers rookie LB Matthew Thomas went undrafted. But he's not lacking in confidence

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Maybe the light goes on now that he knows his livelihood is on the line, hanging by a undrafted free agent thread?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •