Thread: Mason Rudolph Talks About Hoping for Pittsburgh, Getting Drafted with a Teammate | Face Time

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Mason Rudolph Talks About Hoping for Pittsburgh, Getting Drafted with a Teammate | Face Time

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Mason Rudolph Talks About Hoping for Pittsburgh, Getting Drafted with a Teammate | Face Time

how does picking Rudolph help us win now?

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Re: Mason Rudolph Talks About Hoping for Pittsburgh, Getting Drafted with a Teammate | Face Time

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    He doesn't. Not even a little bit. Waste of a pick if you ask anyone with a functioning brain! 🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Rudolph was Arians' favorite college QB of 2017

Rudolph wanted to go to Cleveland to play for Todd Haley

Rudolph said Whis contacted him and told him he could beat out Ben.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

It doesn't. We have Big Mouth Ben for now. Rudolph could help us win in 3 years.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    It doesn't. We have Big Mouth Ben for now. Rudolph could help us win in 3 years.

Ain't that the truth.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Oh, I don't know. Big Ben may get injured and it would be nice to have an alternative to Jones. Just let Rudoph and Washington draw up their own plays and we may have a chance of winning. Not so much with Jones.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I hope Rudolph takes over the starting job this year and leads us to a Super Bowl win!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I hope Rudolph takes over the starting job this year and leads us to a Super Bowl win!
    I hope so too, but IMO he will need to clean up some mechanics first. Steve Smith said on draft day that "Rudolph sails too many passes". That inconsistency is in his scouting reports. I didn't like something about his mechanics when I watched him and I think after watching this breakdown I know what it is.

Rudolph seems to take his left hand off the football very early and open up his left shoulder before he starts driving off his back leg and rotating his torso. Its like if a baseball player would throw his glove hand out to his side before starting to throw the ball. It makes the throwing motion seem to have a hitch and puts more pressure on just making the throw with his arm and not as much recruiting all the muscles from his legs, hips, torso and arms. Kurt Warner mentioned that Rudolph didn't seem to have zip on the ball this season like he thought he saw in other film.

I hope the Steelers can clean up his mechanics and help him become a more consistent thrower. I hope its not so big of a change that it impacts him worse than it improves him a ton. I saw an interview at Senior Bowl and he has a great attitude, sees the defenses well, but what I really didn't like was his inconsistency and something looked a bit wonky to me with his mechanics. Round 3 is good value, so maybe he is ready in 3 years when Ben retires.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I hope so too, but IMO he will need to clean up some mechanics first. Steve Smith said on draft day that "Rudolph sails too many passes". That inconsistency is in his scouting reports. I didn't like something about his mechanics when I watched him and I think after watching this breakdown I know what it is.

Rudolph seems to take his left hand off the football very early and open up his left shoulder before he starts driving off his back leg and rotating his torso. Its like if a baseball player would throw his glove hand out to his side before starting to throw the ball. It makes the throwing motion seem to have a hitch and puts more pressure on just making the throw with his arm and not as much recruiting all the muscles from his legs, hips, torso and arms. Kurt Warner mentioned that Rudolph didn't seem to have zip on the ball this season like he thought he saw in other film.

I hope the Steelers can clean up his mechanics and help him become a more consistent thrower. I hope its not so big of a change that it impacts him worse than it improves him a ton. I saw an interview at Senior Bowl and he has a great attitude, sees the defenses well, but what I really didn't like was his inconsistency and something looked a bit wonky to me with his mechanics. Round 3 is good value, so maybe he is ready in 3 years when Ben retires.
    I was talking about how he doesn't bring his hips/feet through the throw in another thread. The linked article links to someone smarter saying similar things

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...raft-breakdown

I also agree with you - there is something off with the kid's mechanics. If it is fixable, then away we go. If not, he is going to turn the ball over a fair amount.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I was talking about how he doesn't bring his hips/feet through the throw in another thread. The linked article links to someone smarter saying similar things

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...raft-breakdown

I also agree with you - there is something off with the kid's mechanics. If it is fixable, then away we go. If not, he is going to turn the ball over a fair amount.
    Yeah, sometimes instead of transferring his weight from back foot to front foot and following thru, sometimes he gets flat footed and just stiffens his front leg and throws with mostly arm. The picture on that link you posted shows perfectly how he is opened up in the shoulders and still has the football turned backwards like he is taking it back and not even started it going forward.

IMO, you can be sloppy like that in college, but in the NFL the DB's are gonna jump the routes and throwing lanes faster. Its consistency of feet leading the eyes and arm to the throw. Like you say, some fixable stuff hopefully. There are always throws in the NFL where the QB is off his base, but the more you can stay balanced in the pocket and loaded up on your feet, the better you should be. I personally think Drew Brees has the best footwork in the NFL and love watching him work thru reads in the pocket. Ben doesn't look as efficient, but he still does a really good job of moving his base from read to read.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Hopefully most fans are more excited to have Washington this season, over Rudolph. Washington is going to get every opportunity to play and produce. Rudolph is #4 on the depth chart today. Washington is already #3 at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Hopefully most fans are more excited to have Washington this season, over Rudolph. Washington is going to get every opportunity to play and produce. Rudolph is #4 on the depth chart today. Washington is already #3 at worst.
    So true! I rewatched his combine workout after he was drafted and was really impressed with his hands, route running, size and the fact that he has football speed, not stopwatch speed. I will say that he will be a more exciting addition to the WR group than JuJu was. Watch this video and tell me there is something not to like about his skills.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Can't have that, there would be severe butt hurt from all the paid "experts".