Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Zeise: The Steelers' draft still makes very little sense

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Paul Zeise: The Steelers' draft still makes very little sense

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I agree with you. I tried to sum up at the end that I don't know if this draft doesn't make sense or if it's just more of surprise players draft. I was totally surprised by 6of7 of our picks this year.
    Yeah, me too. But then once everything settled and I read/watched more about each player that was picked - I was kinda like "Well, should've really seen that coming.". The only thing no one could've predicted is that the Raiders were willing to pay a higher draft day price than anyone would've thought for Bryant. Once they had that pick and didn't trade up in the first and Rudolph started falling --- we all should've seen that coming!

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

I don't initially like this draft.
    1. They didn't address the ILB vacancy from Shazier with a playmaker.
    2. They gave away Bryant for a 3rd and then spent a 2nd to draft what is likely a lesser talent.
    3. They had a chance to grab the 2nd best RB in the draft to replace Bell next year.
    That being said, I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the Steelers until proven otherwise. I'm one of the ones who wanted to draft Eddie Lacy, when they took Bell instead. One is likely out of football, the other is commonly thought of as the best RB in the league. The Steelers also may have some insight to the fact that Bryant is not on the straight and narrow as many think. He's likely gone as they don't plan to resign him next year if not sooner if he slips up again. Why not grab a 3rd and get something for nothing. It'll all shake out eventually. I'm not going to complain about a team who has been top 3 in wins for the last decade and hasn't had a losing season since 2003.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerchad View Post
    I don't initially like this draft.

1. They didn't address the ILB vacancy from Shazier with a playmaker.
    actually, I believe the Steelers drafted the closest player they could find to Ryan Shazier athletically and are going to use Edmunds to try and fill Shazier's vacancy as much as one possibly can with him...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

After reading about the mini-camp, the draft actually makes a lot of sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerchad View Post
    . The Steelers also may have some insight to the fact that Bryant is not on the straight and narrow as many think. He's likely gone as they don't plan to resign him next year if not sooner if he slips up again. .
    Bryant was a malcontent that didn't want to be in B&G and wasn't going to be signed after this season anyways. He thought he deserved more targets last year. Washington will be a better deep threat because all he is going to do is work hard and earn his targets. Washington also battles for the 50-50 balls better and will be in Pittsburgh for at least the next 4 years.

The add of Washington and subtract of Bryant is likely the best offseason move for the team. Replacing Mike Mitchell with Morgan Burnett should be a close 2nd IMO.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Bryant was a malcontent that didn't want to be in B&G and wasn't going to be signed after this season anyways. He thought he deserved more targets last year. Washington will be a better deep threat because all he is going to do is work hard and earn his targets. Washington also battles for the 50-50 balls better and will be in Pittsburgh for at least the next 4 years.

The add of Washington and subtract of Bryant is likely the best offseason move for the team. Replacing Mike Mitchell with Morgan Burnett should be a close 2nd IMO.
    Nailed it.

Let’s play devil’s advocate. Bryant has a careeer year, which helps us immensely in 2018. Then, he leaves, and the BEST we could possibly get is a very late R3 pick.

We got an early R3 pick (already better compensation). And, honestly, the odds of Bryant having a breakout year are far less likely than him relapsing (and/or getting suspended indefinitely).

SUMMATION:
    Trading any player is a calculated risk, but everything points to the Steelers making the correct decision.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    After reading about the mini-camp, the draft actually makes a lot of sense...
    I agree.

And we generally got good value picks as well.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Nailed it.

Let’s play devil’s advocate. Bryant has a careeer year, which helps us immensely in 2018. Then, he leaves, and the BEST we could possibly get is a very late R3 pick.

We got an early R3 pick (already better compensation). And, honestly, the odds of Bryant having a breakout year are far less likely than him relapsing (and/or getting suspended indefinitely).

SUMMATION:
    Trading any player is a calculated risk, but everything points to the Steelers making the correct decision.
    You fellas seem to have it right. It took me awhile to get on board with this move because I will always believe that Bryant had the physical tools to be the most dominant WR in the league. Honestly, take a look at some rough comparisons:

Randy Moss - http://nflcombineresults.com/playerp...l=Moss&i=27002
    DeAndre Hopkins - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player...s?position=ATH
    Calvin Johnson - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player...n?position=ATH
    Andre Johnson - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/andre-johnson
    Martavis Bryant - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player...t?position=ATH

I get that testing #'s do not always have a direct correlation to on-field performance, but the absolute ridiculousness that Bryant brings to the table as an athlete is almost unbelievable. Few guys in the entire league at any one time have those kind of #'s. I truly believe that if he hadn't gotten suspended, we are not having this conversation because JuJu never gets drafted and Bryant is the owner of shiny new long-term extension as he continued to develop. However, Bryant did get suspended and it totally stunted his growth and development as a WR. We all saw last year that the mental side of the game is his biggest problem. Staying focused and running precise routes are not his strong-suite. But as Teegre has said before, when the lights were the brightest, Bryant performed at his best. If Gruden and the Raiders can keep Bryant on the straight and narrow and keep him focused, the might have a steal. Lot's of IF's but Bryant still is only 26 years old and (Presumably with less substance abuse and mental issues than Cris Carter) and could still reach his potential. All that being said, this was the best path the Steelers could take.

The compensation was likely the highest they could realistically achieve and the addition of Washington takes some of the sting out. Washington is no athletic slouch himself - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player...n?position=ATH - he just doesn't hold up well in a comparison with Bryant, but almost no one does. However, Washington's production was out of this world.

I will miss the Martavis Bryant who looked like no one could stop him with the ball in his hands in the open field. I will miss the WR that just effortlessly ran away from DB's. But to be honest, we haven't seen that guy consistently in a long time. I said the same thing when Wallace left. As soon as Washington starts catching 20+ yard passes against NFL corners and drawing safety help just by stepping on the field, all my concerns go away. Hopefully it happens soon.

While I wish Bryant the best, I suspect his career will always be a "What If?" story.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

MB showed some flashes during one stretch but I never saw a guy who could be the best WR in football, much less a guy who is arguably a top 3 all time WR. Plus the fact that his play is littered with as much garbage play as treasure it really becomes just what he is.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    MB showed some flashes during one stretch but I never saw a guy who could be the best WR in football, much less a guy who is arguably a top 3 all time WR. Plus the fact that his play is littered with as much garbage play as treasure it really becomes just what he is.
    I agree with that assessment of his play. My only point was that the tools are there. In fact he has more tools to work with than most guys. The question is whether he has the mental strength, focus, and drive to channel those tools into consistent elite level performance.

I suspect that is the missing component for Bryant and likely always will be. However, his potential has been and remains (for a year or so yet) simply staggering.

But if we want to talk staggering potential based on testing #'s - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player...r?position=ATH

Justin Hunter is still somehow only 26 years old. Far less of a knucklehead. If anyone could ever figure out why he can't do on Sundays what he does in practice, he could make some plays.

Bryant and Hunter are similar. Both play down compared to their potential. But Bryant gets the nod as a bit better of a bet because he has already come up big in big moments. Hunter never has.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I agree with that assessment of his play. My only point was that the tools are there. In fact he has more tools to work with than most guys. The question is whether he has the mental strength, focus, and drive to channel those tools into consistent elite level performance.

I suspect that is the missing component for Bryant and likely always will be. However, his potential has been and remains (for a year or so yet) simply staggering.

But if we want to talk staggering potential based on testing #'s - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player...r?position=ATH

Justin Hunter is still somehow only 26 years old. Far less of a knucklehead. If anyone could ever figure out why he can't do on Sundays what he does in practice, he could make some plays.

Bryant and Hunter are similar. Both play down compared to their potential. But Bryant gets the nod as a bit better of a bet because he has already come up big in big moments. Hunter never has.
    The tools are definitely there. Compare that with a guy like AB who lacks height and elite speed and it just shows you how wide receivers are really made. MB is lazy and undisciplined. When you think about it, Coates had quite a stretch of 5 games too. That guy had the size/speed to be very good, but we all know that he's a bum on the field. And you're right about Hunter - physically a total specimen. He'll fade to complete career anonymity.

I really have a good feeling about Washington.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I get that testing #'s do not always have a direct correlation to on-field performance, but the absolute ridiculousness that Bryant brings to the table as an athlete is almost unbelievable. .
    How were Hines Ward's testing #'s in his draft year?

Bryant is a classic "looks like Tarzan, but plays like Jane" prospect. Except, Jane just bitches about not getting the ball thrown to her, bitches when other WR's are drafted and when she gets the ball thrown to her, doesn't make an effort to get it.

Testing #'s, Spark graphs, PFF stats don't count worth crap if a guy doesn't have the mental desire to grind out the work that will make them better. J.W. seems all about his responsibilities and duty to put in work, while Bryant seemed to be all about his rights and entitlement to be given chances. As a Steeler fan, I am happy #10 moved on.

How were Hines Ward's testing #'s in his draft year?

Bryant is a classic "looks like Tarzan, but plays like Jane" prospect. Except, Jane just bitches about not getting the ball thrown to her, bitches when other WR's are drafted and when she gets the ball thrown to her, doesn't make an effort to get it.

Testing #'s, Spark graphs, PFF stats don't count worth crap if a guy doesn't have the mental desire to grind out the work that will make them better. J.W. seems all about his responsibilities and duty to put in work, while Bryant seemed to be all about his rights and entitlement to be given chances. As a Steeler fan, I am happy #10 moved on.
    Prior to MB's suspension and year-long ban he was by all accounts a good worker as well. I have repeatedly said that Bryant currently lacks the mental discipline to merge his athletic gifts with the consistent level of production they should produce. IF he does, look out.

As for Washington, he seems like a great kid. Much less of a knucle-head than Bryant. But he will need to go through the same "prove it" initiation into the NFL that every player goes through. Can you do what you did on Saturdays on Sundays against guys that are every bit the athlete and football player you are or can you just beat-up on mediocre defenders in the Big 12? I strongly suspect that Washington will be fine and will go on to excel in the NFL. But nothing is for sure.

My only point was that (For me) it is hard to move off a guy that possess all the tools that Bryant does. Not saying it was a bad idea. Not saying that it won't be for the best, but man oh man. If he gets his head on straight, he has the tools to be the best WR in the league. That is a ton of potential to walk away from. That being said, I absolutely think Colbert made the correct move in this situation. I also do not think that Gruden is going to be the coach to get the most out of Bryant.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

How would this offense look with AB, JuJu, Bryant, and Washington? Add Bell and Samuels to that receiving mix? Looks fun to me.

Bryant will always be a question mark. What maybe could have been. You just don't find dynamic athleticism like him every draft. Too bad he couldn't bring it all together.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Prior to MB's suspension and year-long ban he was by all accounts a good worker as well. I have repeatedly said that Bryant currently lacks the mental discipline to merge his athletic gifts with the consistent level of production they should produce. IF he does, look out.

As for Washington, he seems like a great kid. Much less of a knucle-head than Bryant. But he will need to go through the same "prove it" initiation into the NFL that every player goes through. Can you do what you did on Saturdays on Sundays against guys that are every bit the athlete and football player you are or can you just beat-up on mediocre defenders in the Big 12? I strongly suspect that Washington will be fine and will go on to excel in the NFL. But nothing is for sure.

My only point was that (For me) it is hard to move off a guy that possess all the tools that Bryant does. Not saying it was a bad idea. Not saying that it won't be for the best, but man oh man. If he gets his head on straight, he has the tools to be the best WR in the league. That is a ton of potential to walk away from. That being said, I absolutely think Colbert made the correct move in this situation. I also do not think that Gruden is going to be the coach to get the most out of Bryant.
    All Pro players often take some time to make the leap and max out their talent in the pro game (such as Troy making the leap from a confused “bust” in his rookie season to obviously being great in 2004). But that point rarely takes as long as Bryant has been in the league.

I thought Bryant’s breakout point was going to be after his great playoff performances after a rocky 2005 regular season prior to the one year suspension. But when he returned in 2017 he was as inconsistent as ever

I suppose there have been All Pro players (excluding QBs with the different demands of that position) who were given the opportunity to play from their rookie season and did not figure it out until
    their 4th or 5th season. I doubt Bryant will be someone who does it now after years of screwing up

I hear ya. My point is that you can look at all the testing numbers, spark graphs or whatever metrics of guys like Dri Archer, Scott Shields, Mike Mamula, Alonzo Spellman, Tony Mandarich, Martavis Bryant, etc. If they don't want to compete or just test better in shorts than they play in pads, then its not worth them having a roster spot.

This is season 5 since Bryant was drafted and all he did last year was complain and underperform. Time to move on and a good thing they got a 3rd round pick for him.

Steelers also moved on from Mike Mitchell, Robert Golden and Wilcox at safety, so they got 2 more to replace them in the draft. Chris Hubbard left, so they saw value in Chukks in the 3rd. I don't know what the author doesn't understand and thinks doesn't make sense. To be successful, you need the guys with the right attitude and skills on board and those with the wrong attitude and skills off the team. That looks like what is going on.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Washington is gonna make us go Bryant who? Sure he doesn't run the 40 in 4.3 but he fights for the ball, something Bryant doesn't do. He has sure hands, and doesn't come across as a one trick pony.

Juju didn't run the fastest 40 either but he's burned his share of DB's last year. And I think it's ridiculous when these 'experts' say we need someone who's a big play threat. Yeah we have some guy named Antonio Brown who's been doing that... And no, MB wasn't 'drawing coverage' away from Brown. Teams double cover him whether MB was in the lineup or not. If anything, AB will always be doubled so you need a receiver that will win 1on1 matchups. Bryant only wins those matchups if he gets a free release and beats his man by 3-4 yards, cause don't count on him fighting for a ball in traffic (though he did have a sweet 1 handed grab vs the pats). Who was the receiver winning the 1on1 matchups? Not Bryant, it was Juju. And it wasn't because of speed, but a more complete skillset.

Edmunds might be the Shazier replacement. He's a big safety around 220. If he puts on 10-15 lbs he's the same size as Shazier.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Call me crazy but, the draft is always a crap shoot.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Washington is gonna make us go Bryant who? Sure he doesn't run the 40 in 4.3 but he fights for the ball, something Bryant doesn't do. He has sure hands, and doesn't come across as a one trick pony.

Juju didn't run the fastest 40 either but he's burned his share of DB's last year. And I think it's ridiculous when these 'experts' say we need someone who's a big play threat. Yeah we have some guy named Antonio Brown who's been doing that... And no, MB wasn't 'drawing coverage' away from Brown. Teams double cover him whether MB was in the lineup or not. If anything, AB will always be doubled so you need a receiver that will win 1on1 matchups. Bryant only wins those matchups if he gets a free release and beats his man by 3-4 yards, cause don't count on him fighting for a ball in traffic (though he did have a sweet 1 handed grab vs the pats). Who was the receiver winning the 1on1 matchups? Not Bryant, it was Juju. And it wasn't because of speed, but a more complete skillset.

Edmunds might be the Shazier replacement. He's a big safety around 220. If he puts on 10-15 lbs he's the same size as Shazier.
    Washington could be a number one or two receiver who will be number OUR #3 receiver.

I think this will be a nightmare for defenses.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Washington could be a number one or two receiver who will be number OUR #3 receiver.

I think this will be a nightmare for defenses.
    What makes you say he could be a number one or two receiver without seeing him on an NFL field? He could just as easily be the next Limas Sweed, Troy Edwards or any of the 100s of drafted college WRs...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What makes you say he could be a number one or two receiver without seeing him on an NFL field? He could just as easily be the next Limas Sweed, Troy Edwards or any of the 100s of drafted college WRs...
    Steelers spring to action, likely without Le'Veon Bell again

Organized Team Activities begin Tuesday on the South Side

ED BOUCHETTE
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

• The Steelers are counting heavily that rookie James Washington can pick up where Martavis Bryant left off. Bryant had an inconsistent season after serving a one-year suspension in 2016. His average dipped to 12.1 yards per catch, and he did not have a game with more than 65 yards after his 91-yard performance in the second game. He scored just three touchdowns. But defenses always had to pay special attention to the 6-4 man with the 4.42 speed.

Washington is just 5-11 but was a different kind of deep threat at Oklahoma State, where he averaged 20.9 yards on 74 receptions and scored 13 touchdowns last season. The Steelers say he is a deep threat in spite of his height and so-so 4.54 speed because he makes the tough catches. Those catches in the Big 12 will be even tougher in the NFL.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201805210090

That doesn’t mean he’s an NFL #1 WR. Hopefully he will take advantage of the opportunities and excel but there’s nothing that says he’s a #1 guy...not yet at least...