Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's exciting about Washington

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

What's exciting about Washington

Why you should be excited about second-round wide receiver James Washington?

-Offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner’s assessment of Washington was as succinct as it was complimentary: “Tough guy, runs fast, scores touchdowns.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...7-8773ab0e4755

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: What's exciting about Washington

Might be a clone of Ju-Ju.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Watch out across the middle Burfict!!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

A: Everything

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Sounds like a quality and smart player. Plays hard and I particularly like the fact that he stayed in school to graduate. That shows determination and character to me.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

The dude's got a huge frame for being 5'11. I don't watch college much, but based on his size he seems like a taller version of Steve Smith? If he ends up being the same caliber player I'd be ecstatic.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

arms like an octopus ( LONG) his catch radius for his size is off the charts
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    arms like an octopus ( LONG) his catch radius for his size is off the charts
    I think I saw somewhere that he ends up having the reach of 6'6" dude.

He will be fine - I think. The only trouble I can gather for him is that he will have to become a better route runner in the pros and more of a technician as a WR to ensure that he can carry through his college level of success.

So basically the exact same thing said about almost every WR prospect every year?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think I saw somewhere that he ends up having the reach of 6'6" dude.
    Yep. He has the same wingspan as Bradley Chubb.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yep. He has the same wingspan as Bradley Chubb.
    So he's basically dhalsim with speed

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

He has very high top end speed.

He has good hands.

He's physical.

He fights for the ball when it's in the air.

In his mind, the ball is his when it's in the air. It sounds exactly like the statement above, but it's not.

He has a huge catch radius with very long arms.

He was extremely productive at the college level and was basically unstoppable in that offense.

Appears to be a quality human being, and decided to finish college to get his degree.

There's a lot to like about him.

He has some things to work on at the pro level, but he has everything you want in a receiver. I love any receiver that is physical, gets separation, and believes the ball is his when in the air and wins the 50/50 balls.

I'm excited to see what he can do.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He has very high top end speed.

He has good hands.

He's physical.

He fights for the ball when it's in the air.

In his mind, the ball is his when it's in the air. It sounds exactly like the statement above, but it's not.

He has a huge catch radius with very long arms.

He was extremely productive at the college level and was basically unstoppable in that offense.

Appears to be a quality human being, and decided to finish college to get his degree.

There's a lot to like about him.

He has some things to work on at the pro level, but he has everything you want in a receiver. I love any receiver that is physical, gets separation, and believes the ball is his when in the air and wins the 50/50 balls.

I'm excited to see what he can do.
    Juju 2.1?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Juju 2.1?
    higher ceiling , similar floor ....

IMO that is
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    So he's basically dhalsim with speed
    You sir have won the internet for the day.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

You sir have won the internet for the day.
    Al Gore invented the internet, did you get his permission to lend it out for the day?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Juju 2.1?

JuJu is a more precise route runner.

Washington has better top-end speed.

Both compete for the ball.

Similar builds. Both are built thick and strong to take more punishment and to give more out. Both are capable of taking short catches and turning them into big gains because of that strength and the ability to break tackles and run with force.

Washington doesn't have some of the glaring weaknesses that some of the other young speed receivers have had over the years. His hands are solid and he is capable of the great catches because he is able to track the ball in the air and make a play on the ball.

Ben should be excited about his skillset when he gets to see what he is capable of.

IMO he's going to be a player that can stretch the field and make the big play while also being a great red zone weapon because of his strong hands and the way he competes for the ball.

AB is AB, JuJu should be better, the TEs should be improved a bit, and Washington brings some things that Bryant wasn't capable of without the baggage. Then you have Bell and Conner, and a versatile player like Samuels thrown into the mix to see what he could add and hopefully make the roster. It's going to be fun to see how all this comes together.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

...Regardless of who is grabbing the most attention, Washington is more than worth the time to get to know. After all, when the Steelers shipped Martavis Bryant to the Raiders on Day 1 of the NFL Draft, Washington’s status was elevated before he even was selected by Pittsburgh.

Nonetheless, it is time to check on what Washington does well, and what he might need to improve upon as he enters what could be known as the ‘Wide Receiver Factory’ for the NFL.

Washington has a lot to prove, and if he can emulate JuJu Smith-Schuster’s production from a year ago this team will be well on their way on the offensive side of the ball.

(Continued)

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...2018-nfl-draft

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    JuJu is a more precise route runner.

Washington has better top-end speed.

Both compete for the ball.

Similar builds. Both are built thick and strong to take more punishment and to give more out. Both are capable of taking short catches and turning them into big gains because of that strength and the ability to break tackles and run with force.

Washington doesn't have some of the glaring weaknesses that some of the other young speed receivers have had over the years. His hands are solid and he is capable of the great catches because he is able to track the ball in the air and make a play on the ball.

Ben should be excited about his skillset when he gets to see what he is capable of.

IMO he's going to be a player that can stretch the field and make the big play while also being a great red zone weapon because of his strong hands and the way he competes for the ball.

AB is AB, JuJu should be better, the TEs should be improved a bit, and Washington brings some things that Bryant wasn't capable of without the baggage. Then you have Bell and Conner, and a versatile player like Samuels thrown into the mix to see what he could add and hopefully make the roster. It's going to be fun to see how all this comes together.
    JuJu has a neck.
    Washington - no neck.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    JuJu has a neck.
    Washington - no neck.
    Washington has a turret.

The only concern here is the same it was when Wallace left. It is known that Martavis Bryant can get deep on anyone in the NFL when he puts his mind to it. He was unbelievable in the Jags game. We think that Washington will be able to do something similar albeit in a different way. But we don't know for sure.

I am encouraged by the fact that he is the most polished WR they have drafted in some time. If he can develop to the same degree that others have, it should be fine.

Bottom line - until Washington just starts running away from DB's and catching bombs on a regular basis, he could be Sweed or Coates. Or he could be Bryant, Juju, or Sanders, etc.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Washington drives.

The only concern here is the same it was when Wallace left. It is known that Martavis Bryant can get deep on anyone in the NFL when he puts his mind to it. He was unbelievable in the Jags game. We think that Washington will be able to do something similar albeit in a different way. But we don't know for sure.

I am encouraged by the fact that he is the most polished WR they have drafted in some time. If he can develop to the same degree that others have, it should be fine.

Bottom line - until Washington just starts running away from DB's and catching bombs on a regular basis, he could be Sweed or Coates. Or he could be Bryant, Juju, or Sanders, etc.
    When the lights came on, Martavis Bryant certainly shined brightest.

That said, after DJ Moore, James Washington was my second-favorite receiver in this draft (a smidge ahead of Anthony Miller).

When the lights came on, Martavis Bryant certainly shined brightest.

That said, after DJ Moore, James Washington was my second-favorite receiver in this draft (a smidge ahead of Anthony Miller).
    No doubt. I’m really excited but I also thought Sweed was gonna be a star.

No doubt. I’m really excited but I also thought Sweed was gonna be a star.
    Here’s how much I loved the Limas Sweed pick: if we went back in time, knowing what we know now, I’d still make the pick again in a heartbeat.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Here’s how much I loved the Limas Sweed pick: if we went back in time, knowing what we know now, I’d still make the pick again in a heartbeat.
    ok, you can pick Limas Sweed as long as you promise not to select any of the other 2008 Steelers draft class again.

Yup! I also thought the Mendenhall pick was going to be neat-o as well. To be honest, I remember liking that entire draft.

Wrong on every single guy!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yup! I also thought the Mendenhall pick was going to be neat-o as well. To be honest, I remember liking that entire draft.

Wrong on every single guy!
    I remember that I thought O line was badly needed then and all the blue chip OT's went. So I wanted Jeremy Zuttah, as he possibly could have played OT, but was gonna fill a spot inside for years if they picked him. I was OK with the Mendenhall pick, as I thought he was going to be a really productive RB and he had good years.

Then I remember wanting to get a 2nd tier OT like Anthony Collins or a WR like Early Doucette. I was OK with the Sweed pick too as he was really productive at Texas but coming off injury.

Then I wanted either Carl Nicks or Cliff Avril. Avril had a good combine and was productive at Purdue and Nicks was a road grader at the Senior Bowl and IMO showed enough that he could play RT or Guard. Bruce Davis and Tony Hills?? argh.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Dri Archer looks swole.