Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 FA Linebackers Worth Considering?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

3 FA Linebackers Worth Considering?

3 free agent linebackers the Steelers should still consider

As the dust settles on the NFL Draft and fans have had time to assess the Pittsburgh Steelers haul of talent, one obvious question remains: Where is the depth at inside linebacker?

With Ryan Shazier lost to injury in 2018 and only Jon Bostic signed to replace him, the Steelers’ inside linebacker group looks significantly weaker on paper than it did at this time last year. Tyler Matakevich remains the primary backup and L.J. Fort would be the next man off the bench as it stands right now.

An argument could be made that the Steelers have a lot more sub-package options now having acquired two players in the draft who could possibly play a nickel linebacker role this season in Terrell Edmunds and Marcus Allen.

However, while these (newly drafted) players offer a potential upgrade to the defense on third down and obvious passing situations, neither of them could be expected to step in as a starting linebacker if Vince Williams or Bostic went down with any sort of long-term injury.

Even if the coaching staff has faith in Matakevich, the same cannot be said of Fort or Sean Spence would never have been signed late last season. There is a chance Spence could still return this offseason, but fans surely saw enough in 2017 to know he is not the missing piece the team needs.

Still, there is plenty of time for the front office to address the issue, and presumably relatively cheaply, too. The free agent market has a number of viable talents left available and here are just three linebackers the Steelers should consider before another team snaps them up.

NAVORRO BOWMAN
    Only a few years ago, the idea of having a Pro Bowl talent like Navorro Bowman on the Steelers roster would have been a dream signing. Now, the 30-year-old linebacker could possibly be had at a bargain rate. Significant injuries have unquestionably robbed Bowman of some of his exceptional speed, but it would be fair to say he still moves better than many of his peers.

The former Penn State product was released by the San Francisco 49ers in 2017 after they drafted Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster but was picked up by Oakland soon after. In 10 games with the Raiders....

(continued)

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...till-consider/
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: 3 FA Linebackers Worth Considering?

All would be better than most of what they have now. Hodges is probably the best option

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    All would be better than most of what they have now. Hodges is probably the best option
    But how easily could we free up the money to sign them.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Second that. I'd be nervous about Bowman; it sounded not long ago like he was toast. Could be wrong, but that's a real boom-or-bust signing.

Timmons would be good depth but we wouldn't have a good starter in front of him. Only way that sounds good is if we signed him for the minimum AND got one of the other two.

As for the money, we just gained about $4 million from Wilcox, so I'm pretty confident we could get at least one signing done.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I am curious if we could afford hodges and signed him, if most here would feel as though we are now in GOOD SHAPE on defense with a lot of talent and options and no more glaring concerns at LB.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I am curious if we could afford hodges and signed him, if most here would feel as though we are now in GOOD SHAPE on defense with a lot of talent and options and no more glaring concerns at LB.
    If the best offer he got in 2017 was a practice squad signing by the Saints then he couldn't cost much.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I will offer this, these guys are sitting around unsigned for a reason. That being said so are Tre Boston, Eric Reid, and Vaccaro - -all guys everyone was sure were going to get paid in FA.

Bowman and Timmons are most likely going to wait out the market. Neither likely has any interest in OTAs and training camp at this point in their careers. Nor do they likely have much interest in coming in and being a bench player. Bowman and Timmons put enough good on tape last year that they can sit around and wait for someone to break a leg or rip up a knee. Then walk in and play.

Hodges, sure? Maybe? I dunno.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Bowman supposedly was disgruntled with the coaching staff about being rotated in and out of a game: https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/4/...-agent-meaning

Still sounds like he played well. Im strongly in favor of making it happen if we can keep his cap hit relatively low on a prove-it deal
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Bowman supposedly was disgruntled with the coaching staff about being rotated in and out of a game: https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/4/...-agent-meaning

Still sounds like he played well. Im strongly in favor of making it happen if we can keep his cap hit relatively low on a prove-it deal
    But to "prove" what exactly? That he will get pissy being rotated out of games? Well that is guaranteed to happen here. To sit on the bench behind Bostic or Williams? A significant chance that happens here. For whatever reasons they may have, the coaching staff chose Bostic over Bowman based on the best information we have. One has to assume that they haven't moved off that evaluation.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

I refuse to forgive the Steelers for passing on Josey Jewell to select a 3rd string offensive tackle who might end up on the practice squad. Someday I might forgive them but for now I am still very upset.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    I refuse to forgive the Steelers for passing on Josey Jewell to select a 3rd string offensive tackle who might end up on the practice squad. Someday I might forgive them but for now I am still very upset.
    What does Jewell bring over the other ILB's on the roster?

I'd take Okorafor over Jewell. Better prospect with upside.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    What does Jewell bring over the other ILB's on the roster?

I'd take Okorafor over Jewell. Better prospect with upside.
    He is better than any depth we have and possibly a better starter than Williams (as much as it pains me to say as a big Williams fan). He would also be a good Mack should Bostic go down and Bostic has injury history.

Jewell is easily the better of the 2 prospects but Okorafor could potentially have a higher ceiling. As it stands now he was a waste of a pick with almost no value for the forseeable future.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

He is better than any depth we have and possibly a better starter than Williams (as much as it pains me to say as a big Williams fan). He would also be a good Mack should Bostic go down and Bostic has injury history.

Jewell is easily the better of the 2 prospects but Okorafor could potentially have a higher ceiling. As it stands now he was a waste of a pick with almost no value for the forseeable future.
    Saying Jewell is better than VW98 or Bostic is extreme. Jewell is also not projected to be a Mack linebacker. Until proven, he looks like a two down player.

Okorafor could be in position to start at Right Tackle if Gilbert leaves via free agency after the season. Tackle was a need after losing Hubbard.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Saying Jewell is better than VW98 or Bostic is extreme. Jewell is also not projected to be a Mack linebacker. Until proven, he looks like a two down player.
    Jewell would have to come off the field on passing downs, he ran a 4.82 at the Combine and that's not fast enough to cover NFL TEs or RBs out of the backfield.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    But to "prove" what exactly? That he will get pissy being rotated out of games? Well that is guaranteed to happen here. To sit on the bench behind Bostic or Williams? A significant chance that happens here. For whatever reasons they may have, the coaching staff chose Bostic over Bowman based on the best information we have. One has to assume that they haven't moved off that evaluation.
    logic and reality always has a way of killing my dreams. i want to fall in love with our versatile options at safety, but i dont think im ever going to be comfortable with our compensative mega-safety-platoons for the upcoming season. unless we had pre-neck injury Kam Chancellor sitting in the box for us
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    logic and reality always has a way of killing my dreams. i want to fall in love with our versatile options at safety, but i dont think im ever going to be comfortable with our compensative mega-safety-platoons for the upcoming season. unless we had pre-neck injury Kam Chancellor sitting in the box for us
    Yeah, not sure I'm in love with it either. But Bowman isn't the answer either. At least I don't think it is...

...Put it this way, they tried to just band aid over the crack last season and it absolutely killed them. Now, the tore the thing down to the foundation and rebuilt it from the ground up. The only problem is that there is a possibility they used a lot of shoddy materials.

Okorafor could be in position to start at Right Tackle if Gilbert leaves via free agency after the season. Tackle was a need after losing Hubbard.
    Well I said "possibly" better than VW and a good replacement if Bostic got injured. IE, he is a good depth guy to have. Jewell is a better athlete than given credit for. He had one of the best 3 cone times at the combine. And on film we got to watch him play the likes of Saquan Barkley and while Barkley won the war Jewell did win a battle or 2. Besides there are almost no LB's you would prefer on the field over a sub package safety on passing downs if it comes to that. Jewell would be 'good enough' but safety would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Jewell would have to come off the field on passing downs, he ran a 4.82 at the Combine and that's not fast enough to cover NFL TEs or RBs out of the backfield.
    40 time is an overrated number from the combine that holds very little value. Almost nobody on an NFL field runs 40 yards on any given play or even close to that in straight line speed. It is a lot more about side to side and things like that. The better numbers are things like the 3 cone and Jewell was 2nd fastest out of all LB's at the combine. And if you care a lot about 40 time there are 2 things to consider:

1. He ran a faster time than Manti Teo, Vontaze Burfict, and Brandon Spikes.

2. At his pro day he improved his 40 into within the same range as Leighton Vander Esch.

And the last thing to keep in mind is that tape trumps testing and he certainly doesn't play slow. He had success in coverage with 6 career interceptions and 26 passes defensed vs say a guy like Roquan Smith who had 0 INT's and only 3 passes defensed. Tremaine Edmunds had 1 INT and 5 passes defensed.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

40 time is an overrated number from the combine that holds very little value.
    That became a very trendy thing to say about 15 years ago. The thing is that NFL teams continue to use the measurement and draft stock continues to rise/fall based on the number. Someone needs to let the NFL coaches and GMs know that it has very little value.

Jewell is a better testable athlete than Matakevich, and Colbert seems to want to hand him the job.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player...h?position=ATH

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Jewell is a better testable athlete than Matakevich, and Colbert seems to want to hand him the job.

Matakevich is not a superior athlete to almost any comparison made , he does have great instincts and motor .... it helps make up for his lack of athleticism and makes him a kid you want to see do well .

that said I do not think it is nearly enough to be an effective starter in this league , he has good special teams value and is a decent backup if not being relied upon to heavily or for to long ..

giving him a shot to be a starter would IMO be a grave error in judgement , that said I have been wrong before but I still do not see it here
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    That became a very trendy thing to say about 15 years ago. The thing is that NFL teams continue to use the measurement and draft stock continues to rise/fall based on the number. Someone needs to let the NFL coaches and GMs know that it has very little value.
    I highly doubt draft stock rises and falls based on that number. In fact, we on the outside have no idea where teams have guys rated at almost any point during the process unless they tell us. Just look at this year when people had Terrell Edmunds as low as the third and it turns out teams had him as a first. On the flipside Justin Reid was widely considered a first and lasted until the 3rd.

The most important part of the combine is the medicals and after that comes some chances to interact with the players. Third are the drills most closely associated with each position. So if they are WR's you want to see them catch and run routes. If they are DB's you want to see backpedal and things of that nature. The 40 doesn't tell you a whole lot you can apply to the actual football field and the most important thing to come from the 40 is actually the 10 yard split.

Heck, even some of the drills are just going to be a confirmation of what teams already saw at games or on tape or they will throw up a red flag that might make them go back and take a 2nd look at some tape. Like I keep pointing out just think about when a player ever even runs 40 yards on a football field. It is almost never so teams would be foolish to put a lot of stock into the time.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I highly doubt draft stock rises and falls based on that number. In fact, we on the outside have no idea where teams have guys rated at almost any point during the process unless they tell us. Just look at this year when people had Terrell Edmunds as low as the third and it turns out teams had him as a first. On the flipside Justin Reid was widely considered a first and lasted until the 3rd.

The most important part of the combine is the medicals and after that comes some chances to interact with the players. Third are the drills most closely associated with each position. So if they are WR's you want to see them catch and run routes. If they are DB's you want to see backpedal and things of that nature. The 40 doesn't tell you a whole lot you can apply to the actual football field and the most important thing to come from the 40 is actually the 10 yard split.

Heck, even some of the drills are just going to be a confirmation of what teams already saw at games or on tape or they will throw up a red flag that might make them go back and take a 2nd look at some tape. Like I keep pointing out just think about when a player ever even runs 40 yards on a football field. It is almost never so teams would be foolish to put a lot of stock into the time.

not saying they should put much stock into any 1 thing ...

that said who do you think organizes the combine and sets the standards up for what is being tested ... none other than the NFL so if they do not put stock into it they would not be doing it

it is in my opinion they put far to much stock in all things the happen in shorts ...

want to test these kids doing these things make them do it in pads then and only then will it show you what they will be like doing those sort of things on a Sunday because as I have said 1000 times not everyone carries pad weight the same ...

a 4.7 -40 guy may still run 4.7 in pads while a 4.5 guy now runs 4.7 in same pads ... the 4.5 guy is seen at having more upside if close otherwise when in fact he has no more upside once those pads are on ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Clearly different teams use different rubrics for player evaluation. There is no one way. Some teams seem likely to draft guys that test really really well. Other teams seem to put more stock in other factors.

Some teams put a great deal of stock in 40 times. Some don't. Some players play close to their timed speed. Some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    not saying they should put much stock into any 1 thing ...

that said who do you think organizes the combine and sets the standards up for what is being tested ... none other than the NFL so if they do not put stock into it they would not be doing it

it is in my opinion they put far to much stock in all things the happen in shorts ...

want to test these kids doing these things make them do it in pads then and only then will it show you what they will be like doing those sort of things on a Sunday because as I have said 1000 times not everyone carries pad weight the same ...

a 4.7 -40 guy may still run 4.7 in pads while a 4.5 guy now runs 4.7 in same pads ... the 4.5 guy is seen at having more upside if close otherwise when in fact he has no more upside once those pads are on ...
    I agree they should test them in pads and you are right, they do say what they do already but I still think a lot of it is supllemental more than anything. See how prepared these kids are and how they do under the pressure of testing.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    This is 100% correct, in HS there were 5 of us that could run between 4.42 and 4.48 40's, but when we had pads on, I could run past all of them.

Heck, we see it with AB all of the time. Didn't they run a 40 at practice one time with a few of the WR's and Shazier and AB was last? But put the ball in his hands in a game and you don't catch him.

The opposite with Dri Archer. Ran a 4.3 and in pads looked like about a 4.7. Maybe because the pads weighed more than he did.

Heck, we see it with AB all of the time. Didn't they run a 40 at practice one time with a few of the WR's and Shazier and AB was last? But put the ball in his hands in a game and you don't catch him.

The opposite with Dri Archer. Ran a 4.3 and in pads looked like about a 4.7. Maybe because the pads weighed more than he did.
    That's also one of the reasons AB went in the 6th round and Dri in the 3rd, even though they both played for small school MAC teams.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

What were Jewells measurable? I thought he had great short area quickness rather than long speed and some pro comparisons were Sean Lee type ILB.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

All of this talk about 40 times makes me think of two things:

1) A heard a defensive back talking about Jerry Rice, when someone mentioned Rice’s slow 40 time: “Tell me one time when Rice had the ball in his hand and got caught from behind... I’ve never seen it happen.”

2) I have mentioned this in other threads, but it bears iteration. James Washington did not have the fastest 40 time of the receivers in this draft. But, when the pads were on, they clocked Washington as being one of the fastest (if not THE fastest) receiver in this draft. (He loses no speed when his pads go on... and, in fact, like Rice, he appears to actually get faster).

One other thing... years ago, I heard a Steelers scout talk about receivers, and he mentioned what made John Stallworth special was his ability to maintain his full speed when making cuts/running routes. The scout talked about how guys can run straight-line very fast, but when they cut/run routes, they will round it off/don’t look sharp... or, worse yet, they will slow down. The scout was amazed how Stallworth would make crisp cuts at full speed... which created separation from the CB. (He specifically looked at tape of how receivers cut, when evaluating them for the draft.)