Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben: The Mason Rudolph Era is 'not going to be for a while'

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Ben: The Mason Rudolph Era is 'not going to be for a while'

Ben Roethlisberger: The Mason Rudolph Era is 'not going to be for a while'

The Steelers QB also said Tuesday he plans on playing “for three to five more years.”

by Ed Bouchette
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    MAY 1, 2018

Like most everyone else, Ben Roethlisberger was surprised when the Steelers drafted quarterback Mason Rudolph in the third round last Friday.

Unlike others, he does not see Rudolph as his successor in a year or two. That’s because Roethlisberger, 36, believes he will play another three to five years and has told management and his coaches as much.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201805010130

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Ben: The Mason Rudolph Era is 'not going to be for a while'

Drama queen!!!

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

It's great to hear Ben say that.. In all honesty I hope he does play 5 more years.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Keep playing Ben!

Hopefully, we will know what we have in Rudolph before Ben retires.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

where was this 5 years comment before the draft?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Lots of caveats in the actual quote - some might call the five years possibility fake news

“But I plan on playing for three to five more years, depending on how the line goes and staying healthy, if I can stay healthy. “If he’s going to be their guy, that’s great, but in my perfect world it’s not going to be for a while.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201805010130

Given that contracts for the entire starting O-line expire by the end of the 2020 season (Foster this season, Pouncey & Gilbert end in 2019), Ben's injury history, and Ben having been known to contradict himself over time, my best case scenario is three more years for Ben, as much as I wish he could play at a high level for longer than that.

Not Ben bashing - he is the greatest QB in Steelers history but aging gets everyone eventually

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Ben says that like it is 100% his call. For all anyone knows, his production might plummet like a stone in 2-3 years. The again, he could be Pro bowl and go strong until 40+. We could win it all this year and he could change his mind like his underwear and bounce. I am happy that Colbert and Co are at least proceeding with what THEY think is the right move and not coddling Ben by not bringing in prospects for the future....whenever that may occur.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

hope he does continue to play ....

that said we all pay for car insurance JUST in case , nobody PLANS to get in a wreck and need it ...........
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Drama queen!!!

I think you’re trying to be a drama queen with that new avi lol

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think you’re trying to be a drama queen with that new avi lol
    Bring on all the drama.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Whats this, Ben feeling little heat because the Steelers drafted a competitor and not a Landry Jones who's happy as a backup?

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

I'm surprised but pleased to hear that he would like to play longer
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

It's why they should have waited.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    It's why they should have waited.
    Gee...thanks for the input, Captain Poopy-Pants.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Wait to what? Ben to have a serious concussion? Ben to loose a knee? Both things that could happen at any moment, and like it or not, is more likely to happen to an older player. Every team needs a good #2 QB , and from what I have read most around here does not that that is the one we have now. It looks like the Steelers are thinking the same.

I thought they would wait one more year as well, but they saw a player they liked. Probably didn't think they would have a shot at a better QB next year, and pulled the trigger. I just hope this does not effect Ben's ability to help the kid become a better QB.

AML

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

If Oakland doesn't offer a 3rd for Martavis, do the Steelers still go after Rudolph?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    If Oakland doesn't offer a 3rd for Martavis, do the Steelers still go after Rudolph?
    just a guess ... but I think it changes not only round 3 but rd 2 as well
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    According to Gerry Dulac of the P-G, if the Steelers had kept Bryant and not needed to use the second round pick on Washington they would have taken Rudolph in the second round

All I know is the Steelers had him graded right with the other top QBs. They were going to take him in the second round until they traded Martavis Bryant and all of a sudden needed a No. 3 receiver.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201805020116

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think the Bryant trade was made to help fuel a Round 1 trade up for a LB. Washington was likely always the 2nd round pick. They needed another WR in the system no matter what happened with Martavis. In fact, I am still hoping they bring someone in. When the trade in the 1st round didn't happen, then I think Rudolph came into serious play.

As to whether or not he plays, at all, before his contract is up - who cares? Is he better than Jones and Dobbs? Almost certainly. Although the truly terrifying thing is that Landry Jones has better college stats and was regarded as having a better arm coming out of school. So there is that fact to give you all comfort moving forward. But back to my point. Look at Keenum and Foles last year. It is like the NFL finally remembered that if you are attempting to be a Super Bowl team, you need to have back-up capable of stepping in and winning football games, not simply just doing enough not to lose. If a playoff caliber team lost Ben R for a 3+ game stretch with Jones and Dobbs on the roster? Might as well pack up your stuff and go home. Season is likely over, or at least the part where they make a serious playoff run. Moving forward, if Rudolph is the buy the most positive evaluations have him as, then they have a back-up capable of stepping in and running the full offense and salvaging a playoff run.

Worst case scenario is that Rudolph looks awful and Jones and Dobbs look better with Dobbs getting cut to try and salvage the draft pick.
    Middle case scenario is that Rudolph legit beats out one of Jones or Dobbs and settles in to develop as the #2
    Best case scenario is that Rudolph comes out and lights things up and plays as the #2. Ben plays 3-5 more years and right before the end of Rudolph's contract, they trade him Garappolo style.

They are different versions of this, of course. Also for those that want to help Landry Jones pack, need to remember how much Ben likes him. That simple fact, Ben wanting someone around, kept Chaz Batch on the roster well past his expiration date.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I think Ben's only in for another three years... if we're lucky. We needed someone better than our current options. Even if he's not the eventual answer, we have to start now. Waiting until the year before won't fly.

fwiw, I think Dobbs is the odd man out. Ben/Landry/Mason

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    I think Ben's only in for another three years... if we're lucky. We needed someone better than our current options. Even if he's not the eventual answer, we have to start now. Waiting until the year before won't fly.

fwiw, I think Dobbs is the odd man out. Ben/Landry/Mason
    I kinda reluctantly agree. There simply are not enough snaps to develop 2 young QBs.

Maybe they get cute and try and sneak Dobbs to the practice squad?

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I kinda reluctantly agree. There simply are not enough snaps to develop 2 young QBs.

I'm sure it's a possibility. Guys like Brian St.Pierre spend most of their career there.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Another expert getting paid to basically re-write someone else's article... nice.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I think that a mysterious injury might loom in Dobbs future that lets them stash him on IR for a year. That would allow them to use Jones one more year then bump Rudolph to #2 in 2019 and have Dobbs as the #3.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think that a mysterious injury might loom in Dobbs future that lets them stash him on IR for a year. That would allow them to use Jones one more year then bump Rudolph to #2 in 2019 and have Dobbs as the #3.
    That . . . makes a ton of sense. The only problem I see with it is Dobbs agreeing because it would affect his ability to sign with other teams down the road. They'd be weary of someone with an injury that kept him out all year.

The more I'm thinking about this, the more I'd prefer to just go to a straight 65 man roster with no "practice squad."

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Drama queen!!!

Ben Roethlisberger: ‘I’ll Do Whatever I Can To Help’ Mason Rudolph

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on May 2, 2018

If you were worried (or perhaps even excited) about a quarterback controversy, it doesn’t sound as though Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is interested in one—on either front.

For one thing, he spoke publicly for the first time since dabbling with retirement about his belief that he could play for multiple seasons without qualifying those statements. He even upped it to maybe five years, which would cross him well over the 40 bridge. So as long as Mason Rudolph is patient, there is no controversy brewing.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05...mason-rudolph/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Ben Roethlisberger: ‘I’ll Do Whatever I Can To Help’ Mason Rudolph

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on May 2, 2018

If you were worried (or perhaps even excited) about a quarterback controversy, it doesn’t sound as though Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is interested in one—on either front.

For one thing, he spoke publicly for the first time since dabbling with retirement about his belief that he could play for multiple seasons without qualifying those statements. He even upped it to maybe five years, which would cross him well over the 40 bridge. So as long as Mason Rudolph is patient, there is no controversy brewing.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05...mason-rudolph/
    “Landry does a great job at that, he did it last year with Dobbs. It’s kind of the backup’s role”.

So, in essence, Ben says "I'll help" but later "That's Landry's job, kind of." DRAMA QUEEN!!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Easy to say that now, but we won't know for sure.