Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2018 Draft Day Thread!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: The Official 2018 Draft Day Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't really like this pick. I mean, even if Washington is awesome, we have an All-Pro #1 receiver and a really good #2 who looks like he has an almost unlimited ceiling, and both are under contract for a long time.

So we just spend our second-round draft pick on a guy who is at most the #3 wideout. Not to mention the math involved makes the Bryant deal look a lot less great. Trade your existing NFL receiver for a third-round pick, spend a second-round pick on a position that wasn't a need until you traded him.

Would've rather left this until the later rounds or next year. We have other positions in much worse shape. Kind of looks like we fucked up.
    Not at all. Bryant was gone after this year in FA. Got a higher 3rd round pick than they would in any potential comp pick scenario. And in this current draft where they were down some picks. Then they took their preferred WR and have him under cheap team control for a number of years. Even if he tops out at 3 wideout, this sequence is how you stay competitive in the salary cap driven NFL. Turn expiring rookie contracts into draft capital. Then use draft capital to get more cheap good players for 3-5 years. Rinse. Repeat.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Washington averaged 20.9 yards per catch last season...
    Mike Wallace 2.0.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I don't really like this pick. I mean, even if Washington is awesome, we have an All-Pro #1 receiver and a really good #2 who looks like he has an almost unlimited ceiling, and both are under contract for a long time.

So we just spend our second-round draft pick on a guy who is at most the #3 wideout. Not to mention the math involved makes the Bryant deal look a lot less great. Trade your existing NFL receiver for a third-round pick, spend a second-round pick on a position that wasn't a need until you traded him.

Would've rather left this until the later rounds or next year. We have other positions in much worse shape. Kind of looks like we fucked up.
    Washington was going to be the pick at 60 regardless... which is why Bryant was being let go.

The R3 pick gets used on a luxury pick: Lauletta, Sweat, et cetera.

- - - Updated - - -

Bruce Irvin is making Vince Young sound erudite.

Senior Member Array title="Terrapinstation is on a distinguished road">

Yeah I'm not getting it either. I didn't understand the 1st pick either. Of course, they'll both probably end up in the Hall of Fame for all I know. But your top two picks on guys you could have gotten much later doesn't seem like much value

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

That sucks

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Giants grab Lorenzo Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapinstation View Post
    Yeah I'm not getting it either. I didn't understand the 1st pick either. Of course, they'll both probably end up in the Hall of Fame for all I know. But your top two picks on guys you could have gotten much later doesn't seem like much value
    BPA and filed a need and most of the best LBS went in the first. I think it was a good pick.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Don’t forget...there’s a pretty good chance that Eli Rogers returns as well...as long as he’s healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I would have prefered to go in another direction as well , that said we run so many 3 wr sets this kid will essentially be a starter anyways ...

he will line up outside with Bown and JuJu will man the slot in 3wr sets ..... he will come off the field when we go 2 wide and JuJu will likely move back outside ...

the best move would have probably been to trade back but you have to have a partner to do so
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Oh hi Texans

- - - Updated - - -

Nice start for Houston.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas
    Jerome Baker, ILB, Ohio St.
    Fred Warner, ILB, BYU
    Jesse Jewell, ILB, Iowa
    Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia
    Sam Hubbard, OLB, Ohio St.
    Josh Sweat, OLB, Florida St.
    Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond
    Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma St.

Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama (?)

(Arden Key, OLB, LSU)

Senior Member Array title="Terrapinstation is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Not at all. Bryant was gone after this year in FA. Got a higher 3rd round pick than they would in any potential comp pick scenario. And in this current draft where they were down some picks. Then they took their preferred WR and have him under cheap team control for a number of years. Even if he tops out at 3 wideout, this sequence is how you stay competitive in the salary cap driven NFL. Turn expiring rookie contracts into draft capital. Then use draft capital to get more cheap good players for 3-5 years. Rinse. Repeat.
    Depending on what happens with Bell, (and Ben), our window is closing rapidly. Bryant was as cheap as they come, and would be more productive THIS year.

Drafting a #3 wideout in the 2nd round is insanity. Hopefully he can provide something, and doesn't turn into Sammie Coates or Markus Wheaton

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Depending on what happens with Bell, (and Ben), our window is closing rapidly. Bryant was as cheap as they come, and would be more productive THIS year.

Drafting a #3 wideout in the 2nd round is insanity. Hopefully he can provide something, and doesn't turn into Sammie Coates or Markus Wheaton
    A #3 WR is basically a starter in today's football.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Come on Kiser!

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Just to offer a counter-point to this, I do think the Steelers needed to make getting another receiver a priority. Yes, AB is all-world and JuJu looks tremendous so far.........but what do they really have after that? The Steelers (like most teams) run a lot of 3 receiver sets, and in those cases JuJu can slide inside and Washington can go outside (like they did with Bryant). Plus, what if AB or JuJu miss time with injury?

The Falcons have Julio and Sanu, but they added Ridley in the first round to give them another potentially potent weapon for Matt Ryan. This is what the Steelers are doing as well, and this has been their approach now for the last decade or so.

I'm really high on this pick of James Washington and his potential in this offense.

James Washington made Mason Rudolph look good.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I believe from what I have seen that Washington has MUCH better hands than Coates or Wehaton and will fight for the ball when it is in the air.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I get that, but really, WR wasn't going to be a need this year, we could've just taken one next draft. We spent more than we got for him. If we just let Bryant go, we get some form of compensation, like a 5th-rounder or something, so the difference between that and a third is what we netted from the deal. We just spent a premium pick. Doesn't make me feel good, I honestly think we cost ourselves something like the equivalent of a third to fourth-round pick overall with all this running around.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I believe from what I have seen that Washington has MUCH better hands than Coates or Wehaton and will fight for the ball when it is in the air.
    100%

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

damn Freeman to Broncos
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    James Washington made Mason Rudolph look good.
    I just hope they don't plan a reunion.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I get that, but really, WR wasn't going to be a need this year, we could've just taken one next draft. We spent more than we got for him. If we just let Bryant go, we get some form of compensation, like a 5th-rounder or something, so the difference between that and a third is what we netted from the deal. We just spent a premium pick. Doesn't make me feel good, I honestly think we cost ourselves something like the equivalent of a third to fourth-round pick overall with all this running around.
    The Steelers have 2 legit WRs on their roster, a track guy with suspect hands and DHB, and Rogers and his shredded knee hanging around. That’s it.

Wanna win now? Make sure you have enough weapons while Ben still has his fastball.

WOrried that this appears to mean that they WONT be taking an ILB. But maybe that is where Edmunds plays. Then this looks totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I just hope they don't plan a reunion.
    LOL

Speaking of luxury picks, I wouldn’t mind Lauletta. (I’d like it, actually.)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The LBs are starting to come off the board.

There goes Baker

Do the Steelers have THREE picks in R3?

Steelers traded up 3 spots with Seattle, picking 76

Did they just move in front of Cincy?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Do the Steelers have THREE picks in R3?

It looks like they made a trade. So yes/