Thread: Peter King's Only Mock

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Peter King's Only Mock

Jaire Alexander is a stud but no way a corner is the pick. Doubt he will even be there.

Heard Carolina really likes him, they like Bates also.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Wow, he has NE taking LVE and Evans . . .

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Back in my teens, I used to admire Peter King. I loved reading his and Dr. Z’s articles in Sports Illustrated.

But, about ten years ago, Peter King became a name-dropper... and it really put me off. In any radio interview, King would mention that he had been talking with Name McFamous or that he had just gotten off of the phone with Person O’Lookwhoiknow. His analysis and writing became less about about football, and more about letting us all know that he talks to famous people.

It has gotten better... although, if you read carefully, he still hides some of that bravado in there (“I’m not going to say who told me...”).

Oh, and for a guy how is supposedly “in the know” his mocks historically have sucked.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Back in my teens, I used to admire Peter King. I loved reading his and Dr. Z’s articles in Sports Illustrated.

But, about ten years ago, Peter King became a name-dropper... and it really put me off. In any radio interview, King would mention that he had been talking with Name McFamous or that he had just gotten off of the phone with Person O’Lookwhoiknow. His analysis and writing became less about about football, and more about letting us all know that he talks to famous people.

It has gotten better... although, if you read carefully, he still hides some of that bravado in there (“I’m not going to say who told me...”).

Oh, and for a guy how is supposedly “in the know” his mocks historically have sucked.
    Exact same story for me. Honestly, I enjoy reading "bloggers" working from "mom's basement" and their actual analysis and breakdowns of the NFL than plugged in insiders like King and Rappaport.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I agree with your assessment of Peter King.

I know his mocks always suck, but I never put much stock in anybody's mock drafts. They're fun to look at, but they literally mean nothing

The draft is a living breathing thing. Very rarely do things go according to plan, and it doesn't really matter who people say will be picked. The only thing that matters is who has been picked and who is still available when you are on the clock . I enjoy the process of seeing who is off the board when it is time to pick. The real trick to this whole thing is being able to navigate the sea of remaining players each time you pick, and put yourself in a position to succeed by being prepared for any scenario.

Many of the smartest football people I know couldn't put together a mock draft to save their lives. But if they're looking at a football player, they know whether the kid can play or not.

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

pete king needs to start hosting Lifestyles of the NFL Rich and Famous.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

one mock is as good or bad as the rest ... we produce some pretty good ones right here ( often times far more accurately too )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I know his mocks always suck, but I never put much stock in anybody's mock drafts. They're fun to look at, but they literally mean nothing
    Couldn't agree more. I was actually discussing with my wife last night how the draft is so incredibly unpredictable. Sometimes you see players get drafted way ahead of where they were projected, sometimes you see players fall, sometimes you see guys go undrafted when they were talked about as being surefire draft picks, sometimes a team trades up or down that you don't expect... There are way too many variables that go into the draft for anyone to make an accurate prediction. I've always felt like it's something that's really fun to do, but nothing to put too much stock into.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I was actually discussing with my wife last night how the draft is so incredibly unpredictable. Sometimes you see players get drafted way ahead of where they were projected, sometimes you see players fall, sometimes you see guys go undrafted when they were talked about as being surefire draft picks, sometimes a team trades up or down that you don't expect... There are way too many variables that go into the draft for anyone to make an accurate prediction. I've always felt like it's something that's really fun to do, but nothing to put too much stock into.
    Yes. Remember when the Seahawks took Bruce Irvin “way too early” and were ridiculed for days for doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I agree with your assessment of Peter King.

The draft is a living breathing thing. Very rarely do things go according to plan, and it doesn't really matter who people say will be picked. The only thing that matters is who has been picked and who is still available when you are on the clock . I enjoy the process of seeing who is off the board when it is time to pick. The real trick to this whole thing is being able to navigate the sea of remaining players each time you pick, and put yourself in a position to succeed by being prepared for any scenario.

Many of the smartest football people I know couldn't put together a mock draft to save their lives. But if they're looking at a football player, they know whether the kid can play or not.
    I get that about mock drafts. Even the guys who are great at it, only hit on about 8 picks (1/4 accurate).

I was more pointing out how awful Peter King has become. The following is not what he wrote about the #1 overall pick, but I’ve seen crap like this in the recent past:

I was talking on the phone with my buddy, Glenn (Dorsey)... and, I don’t want to spoil anything, but he really likes Maurice Hurst.”

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I get that about mock drafts. Even the guys who are great at it, only hit on about 8 picks (1/4 accurate).

I was more pointing out how awful Peter King has become. The following is not what he wrote about the #1 overall pick, but I’ve seen crap like this in the recent past:

I was talking on the phone with my buddy, Glenn (Dorsey)... and, I don’t want to spoil anything, but he really likes Maurice Hurst.”

I completely agree with you on his ego run amok. That dude has to be the biggest name-dropper in the history of name droppers.

Frankly, I don't have nearly as much respect for him as I did years ago for the same reasons you mentioned.

I completely agree with you on his ego run amok. That dude has to be the biggest name-dropper in the history of name droppers.

Frankly, I don't have nearly as much respect for him as I did years ago for the same reasons you mentioned.
    To elaborate, I can get behind any mock draft that makes sense and has a logical rationale for each pick.

Joe Basement has Darnold to the Browns, and explains why, based on analysis of Darnold’s throws: I can respect that.

Draft McSomeguy has Barkley to the Browns, and explains why, based on the fact that the Browns can still get a QB at 4: I can respect that.

Arya Stark has Chubb to the Browns, and explains why, based on the fact that the Broncos won SuperBowl L via having an amazing pass-rush: I can respect that.

Peter King has Darnold to the Browns, and explains why, based on having a conversation with his buddy, Name Dropp:

To elaborate, I can get behind any mock draft that makes sense and has a logical rationale for each pick.

Joe Basement has Darnold to the Browns, and explains why, based on analysis of Darnold’s throws: I can respect that.

Draft McSomeguy has Barkley to the Browns, and explains why, based on the fact that the Browns can still get a QB at 4: I can respect that.

Arya Stark has Chubb to the Browns, and explains why, based on the fact that the Broncos won SuperBowl L via having an amazing pass-rush: I can respect that.

Peter King has Darnold to the Browns, and explains why, based on having a conversation with his buddy, Name Dropp:

You are 100% correct. He never has his own position. He's always just stating the position of others with everything he does. If I'm going to listen to someone, I'm going to listen because it's what they are saying that I truly want to hear. I don't want to hear some goofball parroting things other people say.

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yes. Remember when the Seahawks took Bruce Irvin “way too early” and were ridiculed for days for doing so?
    Oh yes. I remember. Happens a lot. I mean these same experts had guys like Antonio Brown, and Manny Sanders slated to the late rounds. We've seen how much better those guys are than where they were picked. The "experts" are very rarely right when it comes to the draft.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Arya Stark
    has Chubb to the Browns, and explains why, based on the fact that the Broncos won SuperBowl L via having an amazing pass-rush: I can respect that.

Name dropper.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Name dropper.

I can't believe he didn't give us links to Joe Basement and Draft McSomeguy.......

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I can't believe he didn't give us links to Joe Basement and Draft McSomeguy.......

Joe Basement & I met at Comic-Con back in 1999. He prefers that I do not give out his contact information... mostly because his mom limits his Internet usage.

Draft McSomeguy was my dungeon master during my adventure into the Temple of Elemental Evil. He has no contact information, because he is currently stuck in a Bowl of Watery Death.

Arya Stark... is no one. ( )

Joe Basement & I met at Comic-Con back in 1999. He prefers that I do not give out his contact information... mostly because his mom limits his Internet usage.

Draft McSomeguy was my dungeon master during my adventure into the Temple of Elemental Evil. He has no contact information, because he is currently stuck in a Bowl of Watery Death.

Oh I see.....you're trying to get away with name dropping, but are still trying to protect your sources.

That's very Peter Kingish of you.

Ah, but No One is a girl, and that girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell, and she was going home!

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Ah, but No One is a girl, and that girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell, and she was going home!
    When they ask “What happened in the draft?”, tell them that the AFC North remembers... tell them that winter came for House Belichick.

Oh I see.....you're trying to get away with name dropping, but are still trying to protect your sources.

That's very Peter Kingish of you.

Alright, alright... you figured me out.

I have no “sources”.

Joe Basement is actually just my limited edition Mr. Blonde Reservoir Dogs action figure (mint condition, still in its original sealed packaging).

Likewise, Draft McSomeguy is my framed Alyssa Milano poster.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Alright, alright... you figured me out.
    ources
    I have no “sources”.

Joe Basement is actually just my limited edition Mr. Blonde Reservoir Dogs action figure (mint condition, still in its original sealed packaging).

Likewise, Draft McSomeguy is my framed Alyssa Milano poster.
    Damn teeg, When I make up a sources it's a blond with a first name like Hether.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Damn teeg, When I make up a sources it's a blond with a first name like Hether.
    That’s my wife: Heather Locklear... (poster).

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

I think corner is a somewhat underrated potential need. The room is full but full of what?

Burns - Most likely locked in as starter but has been inconsistent enough to question whether he is the long term answer.
    Haden - Expensive and injury prone but still our best corner.
    Sutton - I personally believe in him and loved the pick but we have almost nothing to go on right now
    Allen - Everyone is enamored with his physical gifts but again, has he proven anything?
    Hilton - All good on this man.

In my opinion there are a lot of question marks along with the lot of bodies at CB. Can Haden stay healthy? Is Sutton the real deal? Is Allen more than just a project?

Don't get me wrong, I don't love the idea of a corner early but I also don't scoff at it. There is also the conversation of Allen or Sutton potentially going to safety (although Colbert recently said they want Sutton at corner) so that could open up a spot as well.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Everybody’s mocks suck.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

2018 NFL Mock Draft Results

By Walt - @walterfootball
    May 1, 2018

Walter Cherepinsky - 10
    Evan Silva - 10
    Daniel Jeremiah - 8
    Rob Rang - 8
    Mike Mayock - 7
    Todd McShay - 6
    Tony Pauline - 6
    Bob McGinn - 5
    Josh Norris - 5