Thread: My 2018 mock draft

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

My 2018 mock draft

This is my stab at mock draft with trades. I do not profess to know every team's need or what every team is looking for. Here is my mock draft with as brief an explanation as possible

1. Cleveland: Josh Allen QB Wyoming- Signs are pointing towards Allen going to the Browns. This would actually mirror the Chiefs selecting Mid-major potential pick Eric Fisher over the favorite and more established Luke Joeckel, which was made by current Browns GM John Dorsey so this makes sense

2. Giants: Saquan Barkley RB Penn St- This may be a trade but signs are pointing to the Giants staying at 2 to grab Barkley

3. Jets: Sam Darnold QB USC: Some say Mayfield is a done deal at pick 3 but I have a hard time believing they would pass on Darnold if he is there

4. TRADE- Buffalo: Josh Rosen QB UCLA: Our first trade, Buffalo is likely itching to trade up and Cleveland loves to trade down. Bills get the most pro-ready QB in the draft

5. Broncos Quentin Nelson G Notre Dame: Some can argue for Chubb, but Bronocs need O-line and Nelson is the BPA, this seems like an easy selection

6. TRADE- Cardinals Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma: Like last year, expect teams to make trades for QB. Cardinals replace Carson Palmer and the Colts seem to be wanting to trade down again

7. Bucs: Bradley Chubb DE N.C. St.: I shouldn't have Chubb here, but with the trades for QBs occuring, Chubb slides. I know they just got Vinny Curry, but this would be a tremendous value they would not pass up, just like last year when they drafted O.J Howard despite having Cameron Brate on the roster.

8. Bears: Derwin James S Florida St- Bears need more INTs and playmakers and James would be dynamic for them

9. 49ers: Denzel Ward CB Ohio State: 49ers could use a CB across from Sherman who is recovering from surgery anyway. They get the no. 1 CB here

10. Raiders: Roquan Smith LB Georgia: Raiders need defense and Smith could be the man in the middle helping to improve the defense.

11. Dolphins: Tremaine Edmunds Lb Viginia Tech: Timmons is gone and last year's 2nd round pick Raekwon McMillan is recovering from an ACL. Edmunds is a possible top 10 pick so this is good value

12. Browns (from trade): Minkah Fitzpatrick CB/S Alabama: BPA which they probably should be going by anyway. He can play anywhere

13. Redskins: Vita Vea NT Washington: Mr. Vea goes to Washington from Washington as the Redskins need DL help.

14. Packers: Josh Jackson CB Iowa: Ideally Ward, Fitzpatrick, or Edmunds are here for them, but without those three there, they go for Josh Jackson. They need help at CB

15. Colts (from Cardinals): Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame: PROTECT YOUR QB INDY!!!!!!

16. TRADE New Orleans Saints: Lamar Jackson QB Louisville: Saints wanted Mahomes, but the Chiefs beat them to him. They want a new QB to replace Brees and may be aggressive this year. They likely want to trade up ahead of San Diego who may also want to get a new QB. I was tempted to have the Ravens stay put and select Ridley, but Ozzie's traded down before and he was likely offered a nice package.

17. Chargers Da'Ron Payne NT Alabama: The Chargers have few holes for a 9-7 team that missed the playoffs. DT is one of those holes that they fill with Payen

18. TRADE Panthers Calvin Ridley WR Alabama- Another trade (insert yay here). This makes a lot of sense. Panthers need a receiver and may want to move past Dallas to get their guy. Seattle also seems to trade down every year.

19. Dallas: D.J Moore WR Maryland- Dez Bryant is gone and they are thin at this position

20. Detriot: Marcus Davenport DE UTSA: Easy pick. Lions need another pass rusher, and Davenport provides solid value.

21. Cincinnati: Kolton Miller OT UCLA: OL is a weakness for Cincy. I don't think they really replaced Andrew Whitworth last year. Then again a pick that makes sense may be giving this team too much credit

22. Cleveland (from Bills): Will Hernandez G UTEP: May be a good idea to protect they guy you just made the first overall pick after surrendering 50 sacks last year

23. New England: Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise State: Sorry Teegre. Patriots need LB help and LVE seems like a guy Bellichick would love to have on his team

24. Seattle (from Carolina): Jaire Alexander CB Louisville: Sherman is gone and his replacement is a guy who reportedly has swagger (like Sherman did). Seattle needs to retool that defense

25. Tennessee Harold Landry OLB Boston College: Titans need to pressure the QB better if they want to do better than 9-7 and 2nd in the AFC South

26. Atlanta Falcons Taven Bryan DT Florida: Falcons need DT and Bryan has been linked to Atlanta. Why not

27. Baltimore Ravens Rashaan Evans LB Alabama: This mirrors what Cincy did 2 years ago with William Jackson III, getting a guy the Steelers reported interest in at a big need right before their pick. Add the fact that the Ravens have room to improve at ILB and that Ozzie Newsome LOOOOVES Alabama players and that they went defensive heavy last draft and this seems like a perfect pick

28. Pittsburgh Steelers: Derrius Guice RB LSU: This would make quite the splash, but honestly, with their philosophy of BPA and Bell pitching his hissy fit, this would make a lot of sense. Steelers did host them and he would fit with the high character type of guy they went for last year. With no ILB or OLB worth taking, the other options would be Jesse Bates, Ronnie Harrison, or Justin Reid, but I imagine the Steelers would view Guice higher on their board than those 3. Also they may want to go offense in round 1 after selecting defense in round 1 the last 5 years

29. Jacksonville Jaguars: Courtland Sutton WR SMU: Jaguars need WRs after Allen Hurns and Robinson signed elsewhere

30. TRADE: Philadelphia Eagles: Mike Hughes CB UCF: Eagles trade up in front of New England who like them also needs a CB and beat them to Hughes.

31. New England Hayden Hurst TE South Carolina: Another surprise. Gronk has not shown up to minicamp and I don't think has committed to playing in 2018. This gives another weapon to Brady who also lost Cooks and Amendola

32. Minnesota (from Philadelphia): James Daniels G Iowa: Vikings biggest hole right now is O-line. Would be a good idea for them to help combat Philly's devastating front

If the top 27 shakes out like this, who do you guys think the Steelers would get
    Last edited by st33lersguy; 04-22-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: My 2018 mock draft

That is an excellent mock draft.

I can see all of that. Very logical. I agree with those trades. The more I look, the more I like.

As far as LVE goes... yep. I figure that not only will we not get him, he’ll go to the Taperiots. Argh!!!

WHO TO TAKE AT 28?
    I wouldn’t complain about Guice... but, personally, I’d take Reid.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the problem I have with a 1st round RB is he will see the field very little unless bell is cut / dealt

essentially wasting 1 of the 5 years
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I see Guice as a very real possibility. But like D says, he won't see the field in 2018 with Bell on the roster. Both safeties they showed the most interest in are still on the board, plus there are a couple OLB/Edge guys they have an interest in as well. This is what makes this year's draft so intriguing.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    the problem I have with a 1st round RB is he will see the field very little unless bell is cut / dealt

Or... circa Rod Woodson in 1997... the Steelers move on from Bell.

(In 1997, they drafted Chad Scott in R1, and signed Donnell Woolford in the same hour, ending Rod Woodson’s career in Pittsburgh.)

A rookie RB could see the field given how unreliable Bell is with injuries, suspensions, starting off slow because he missed all of training camp

2 picks right, lol. Though I correctly predicted Hughes go pick 30 and that someone would trade up to 18 to take Alexander, that counts has half right correct?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

ehh I wouldn't let it bother you ...

so you got an F

Ben Albright posted on twitter today the best syndicated mock of Last nights first round graded out at 31%

those guys get paid and have far more access than any of us ...last I checked 31% in Math class gets you a big fat F too

and with all the trades would be pretty hard to get a solid outcome from most any mock without insider info

ehh I wouldn't let it bother you ...

so you got an F

Ben Albright posted on twitter today the best syndicated mock of Last nights first round graded out at 31%

those guys get paid and have far more access than any of us ...last I checked 31% in Math class gets you a big fat F too

and with all the trades would be pretty hard to get a solid outcome from most any mock without insider info
    I expect to get most of it wrong. These are next to impossible to predict with more than say 25% accuracy especially later in the first round

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I expect to get most of it wrong. These are next to impossible to predict with more than say 25% accuracy especially later in the first round

hell the first pick was hard to predict and who in the world would have thought Ward at 4 with Chubb on the board ...

then nobody had our guys in the first so out of the gate you miss 3 before you pick up the pen