Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Give Up and For Who?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What Would You Give Up and For Who?

Was just reading that Josh Rosen is now predicted to slide because "reasons"? I don't really get it. NYG is going to take a RB to re-focus their offense off of their aging and not really that good 37 year old QB - sounds like a solid plan fellas!

Anyway, what prospect starts sliding on draft day and what would you give up to go get them? It is your hypothetical. Do it however you like.

Any of these guys make it out of the top 5-10 and I'm on the phone if I'm Colbert:

Darnold
    Rosen
    Derwin James
    Fitzpatrick
    Marcus Davenport

I would be willing to give up a first this year and a first next year to make it happen for anyone on that list. Although, I confess that Davenport is really really borderline there. Sometimes I watch him and I think "Demarcus Ware" or "Von Miller" and I dream of him and TJ Watt just taking over games. Other times I look at him and "Is he that good? Maybe not..."

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: What Would You Give Up and For Who?

Roquan Smith
    Tremaine Edmunds
    Derwin James

I would be willing to give up 1st round picks this and next year for those three players.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I would much rather give up our 1st for multiple 2nd/3rd round picks, but I'll play just the same.

If Quentin Nelson or Derwin James dropped to the mid-teens I would be willing to trade up. Whatever the cost.
    If Bradley Chubb dropped to the teens I would be willing to give up a 1st and 3rd this year.
    I don't know that I trust any of the QBs enough to feel good about the price of trading up.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I am not a fan of Marcus Davenport. He looked lost (underperformed) at the Senior Bowl.

Yep, Rosen is gonna slip. Because, he asked his coach, “Why?” This sucks, because you KNOW that the Taperiots will snag him. Initially, they were rumored to be enamored with him. Then, that rumor ebbed... but, I think it’s Belichick not wanting to play his hand (i.e. I expect the Taperiots to trade up for Rosen).

Back to the Steelers...

I’d definitely trade up for Rosen. If somehow teams let Quenton Nelson get out of the top 10, they’re crazy. Similarly, if Roquan Smith slides out of the top 12.

28 = 660 points
    60 = 300 points
    92 = 130 points
    Next year’s R1 is equivalent to this year’s R2 = 300

Trading our R3 gets us to 22.
    Trading our R2 gets us to 17.
    Trading our R2 & R3 gets us to 14.
    Trading our R2 & R3 AND next year’s R1 gets us to 8.

Now, what would I give up for each of them? Hmmm...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I trade up for no one. They have 3 picks in the first 4 rounds, and more needs than that. Looking at how the board will shake out, there should be a solid player at 28, plus I do not like the idea of trading a 1st next year

The best course of action is likely to trade down so they at least have 4 picks in the first 4 rounds

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The best course of action is likely to trade down so they at least have 4 picks in the first 4 rounds
    that's my favorite scenario also, I would love to trade down to the top of the 2nd round and pick up at least the 4th round pick we don't currently have.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Nobody WANTS to trade up this draft. The thread asks, BUT WHAT IF.......

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

even in the hypothetical I can not trade up with good conscience , we simply have needs that will be hard to fill with the picks we have ...

that said even if we didn't we have an aging QB who could hang them up at a moments notice ...

would really suck to trade up and grab a high quality defensive prospect in any deal that offers next years selections and Ben hang them up at the end of this year and come next year you have no ammunition to go get a guy and still have unfilled holes that you may have been able to fill this year ....

Great teams are made up with quality pieces at every spot and you can not get those pieces by shipping away picks looking for 1 star
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    even in the hypothetical I can not trade up with good conscience , we simply have needs that will be hard to fill with the picks we have ...

that said even if we didn't we have an aging QB who could hang them up at a moments notice ...
    Agreed, to a point. If we could trade up and get Ben's replacement, then I'd have no problem pulling the trigger for that. The Steelers will almost never pick in the top fifteen. So, when someone falls far enough that the Steelers can move up and get a franchise QB, they have to pull the trigger and do it. That said, I'd fight to keep our second round pick this year because we need to fill the LB position more than anything else. We solidified the DBs enough to risk not drafting one in the high rounds, but that just doesn't hold true for LB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Not sure I agree that you don't need a "star". I would have no problem having a short draft year in order to get the next franchise QB or a Troy Polamalu level defender. While many players on that last great Steelers defense were pretty darn good - Troy P and his unique "star" level talents made it work.

Look at Seattle's D - that whole thing worked because of Chancellor and Thomas. Ravens almost 2 decades ago, it all worked because of Reed and Lewis.

Of course you need talent and playmaking at multiple positions, but many many SB winning defenses have that "guy" you build the whole thing around. It was supposed to be Shazier for this version of the Steelers D. Now they don't have one. Not saying I would get desperate and just throw things away, but Derwin James could change a defense...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Not sure I agree that you don't need a "star". I would have no problem having a short draft year in order to get the next franchise QB or a Troy Polamalu level defender. While many players on that last great Steelers defense were pretty darn good - Troy P and his unique "star" level talents made it work.

Look at Seattle's D - that whole thing worked because of Chancellor and Thomas. Ravens almost 2 decades ago, it all worked because of Reed and Lewis.

Of course you need talent and playmaking at multiple positions, but many many SB winning defenses have that "guy" you build the whole thing around. It was supposed to be Shazier for this version of the Steelers D. Now they don't have one. Not saying I would get desperate and just throw things away, but Derwin James could change a defense...
    stars cost way more money in the long term .....

when you have that guy or two that commands top of the market pricing is short hands you on the rest of your roster

lets say a star is rating of 4
    quality starter a 3
    fringe starter a 2

I would rather have 11 guys who I rank 3 than 2 guys rated a 4 and then a few 3's and filling the rest with 2's

in this era where you have your QB taking 20-30 million of your cap , a RB who now wants 17 million WRs making 17 million a year where do you personally draw the line .... everyone will differ but it is worth thinking about

when you have that guy or two that commands top of the market pricing is short hands you on the rest of your roster

quality starter a 3
    fringe starter a 2

I would rather have 11 guys who I rank 3 than 2 guys rated a 4 and then a few 3's and filling the rest with 2's

in this era where you have your QB taking 20-30 million of your cap , a RB who now wants 17 million WRs making 17 million a year where do you personally draw the line .... everyone will differ but it is worth thinking about

Every team has the same cap to equal things out. You must have those 2-5 players that every team wants so they get paid the lion's share. Just modern NFL. QB, RB, WR, LT, MLB, OLB, DL, CB, Safety, where do you put your money? If you knew beyond a doubt that the next Troy or Ben or Mean Joe were in this draft, what would you give up right now to make sure you get him?

quality starter a 3
    fringe starter a 2

I'll take a roster heavy with 4's at the right positions and take my chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Every team has the same cap to equal things out. You must have those 2-5 players that every team wants so they get paid the lion's share. Just modern NFL. QB, RB, WR, LT, MLB, OLB, DL, CB, Safety, where do you put your money? If you knew beyond a doubt that the next Troy or Ben or Mean Joe were in this draft, what would you give up right now to make sure you get him?
    the bold is the problem , we just do not know ... seen way to many can not miss prospects end up duds ...I am always against moving up because of cost and the uncertainty of what that is actually going to get you , what seems like and what is are often two completely different things , the draft is a large gamble as is compounding that and doubling down IMO is never a wise move

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'd trade the whole draft for Barkley and then he and Tomlin can pose in wedding attire.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'd trade the whole draft for Barkley and then he and Tomlin can pose in wedding attire.
    that would be a sight !

I love what Barkley can do , that said I remember being enamored with this kid back in the day

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-carter-1.html

and sadly what it amounted to as a pro was nothing to write home about

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...C/CartKi00.htm

still can not figure out what went wrong ......

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I love the Javon Rolland-Jones (OLB, Arkansas St.) pick in R4.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’d take that over a Round One pick of Mason Rudolph and then a draft full of needs.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

that would be a sight !

I love what Barkley can do , that said I remember being enamored with this kid back in the day

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-carter-1.html

and sadly what it amounted to as a pro was nothing to write home about

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...C/CartKi00.htm

still can not figure out what went wrong ......
    The Bengals is what went wrong.

the bold is the problem , we just do not know ... seen way to many can not miss prospects end up duds ...I am always against moving up because of cost and the uncertainty of what that is actually going to get you , what seems like and what is are often two completely different things , the draft is a large gamble as is compounding that and doubling down IMO is never a wise move
    I think you are either missing the spirit of the thread or are being difficult on purpose. Either way, that's cool if you don't want to play along. Just move on.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The Bengals is what went wrong.
    IIRC he tore his ACL in preseason his rookie year and was never the same. Unless you guys already knew that and it was sarcasm, then I apologise for being dense.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I think you are either missing the spirit of the thread or are being difficult on purpose. Either way, that's cool if you don't want to play along. Just move on.

didn't miss the spirit of the thread , nor am I being difficult on purpose ... just sharing my point of view

thought that's what discussion forums where for .

I will decide when to move on thank you for your concern

didn't miss the spirit of the thread , nor am I being difficult on purpose ... just sharing my point of view

thought that's what discussion forums where for .

I will decide when to move on thank you for your concern
    Huh, meant to put 'moving on'. Oh well.

Huh, meant to put 'moving on'. Oh well.
    its all good

FWIW with rookies playing earlier and better plus being on cheap deals for 3-5 years, I’m getting as many “star” draft picks as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    FWIW with rookies playing earlier and better plus being on cheap deals for 3-5 years, I’m getting as many “star” draft picks as possible.
    point being trading up for that 1 potential star is costing you 2-3 maybe 4 starter quality players whom could be very very good ...

I prefer 3 or 4 rolls of the dice vs just 1

You also need depth to win a championship, and depth is not that great on this team. Trading up will likely lead to 2 draft picks in the first 4 rounds, that is not good for a team without great depth, particularly one that is more reliant on the draft than free agency

its all good
    I'll decide when it's good. LOL