Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Harrison retires Part 2

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Harrison retires Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    @hawaiinsteeler

I wonder what Mike Wallace is up to...
    maybe we should dig up some old threads to find out

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    maybe we should dig up some old threads to find out
    Let the bumping begin!!!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    it happened ....

here it wasnt so hard to find a simple google search and 2 mins and here is 1 of the times it was said ....

and there is video of him saying it as well so do not take the printed word as the gospel , listen as it comes out of Tomlins mouth

http://www.steelers.com/news/press-c...c-6e8e123620df

Thanks!

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

of course the Steelers aren't going to budge once Harrison decides to fall asleep in team meetings and become an intense ass with conduct detrimental to the team.

Deebo had the chance to remain professional, he chose not to. that's on him, I respect Harrison's athletic contributions as a player to the Steelers on the football field but unfortunately his actions at the end have left me with bittersweet emotions about him as a person. we can agree to disagree, this is simply how I feel...
    Yes, and I COMPLETELY understand your viewpoint.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Yes, and I COMPLETELY understand your viewpoint.

yeah I get it too , I just refuse to put all the blame on him its still cause and effect for me ...

but at the end of the day thats fandom

Jerry Seinfield put it best

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

I'm still a bit perturbed with Harrison for going to the Patriots *. I mean c'mon man. Anybody but them and/or the Ravens. I mean Harrison is a guy that criticized New England for cheating, it's a little difficult to take your words seriously when you run off to a team you've openly criticized as cheaters in the past.

That being said, Deebo gave us a lot of great memories and at times was the embodiment of a Steelers defense. He always had a knack for coming up with some kind of game changing sack in the most critical situations. We cannot look past that. I think Harrison is a fiery, competitive guy, and I think he has a chip on his shoulder with a lot of fans and pundits saying he's too old, and too slow to keep playing at a high level. Trying to look at the situation without bias I can see why he wanted to leave, I can see where he wanted to prove everyone wrong.

I think if he had gone anywhere but New England it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal as it is. While I still think he kind of sold out to go play with those cheating douchebags, I am choosing to remember him for what he did as a Steeler. We wouldn't of won Super Bowl 43 without #92. His accomplishments as a Steeler outweigh his poor (IMO) choices to go on hiatuses in Cinnci and New England.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I think this is a great thread and I do understand both points of view.

I am just not sure what there is to get heated about.
    So true. There is no loyalty in the NFL and especially by the structure that there are no guaranteed contracts, so I personally don't begrudge any player for moving on.

I think the Harrison situation leaves some fans a bit salty because he basically became a disruptive malcontent, to a team that gave him a shot after being cut 3 different times as a FA. Its compounded by going to a rival team. If the Steelers just suspended him for "conduct detrimental to the team" and didn't release him, then likely fans would not look at him this way. In the end, he was a defensive MVP, one of the great pass rushers in Steelers history and owns one of the signature plays in Super Bowl history.

For me, a couple games at the end of his career doesn't erase big hits like those on Colt McCoy and Joe Flacco, the pick 6 in the Super Bowl, beating Eric Fisher for sacks in playoff game and of course this:

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

For me, loyalty has nothing to do with it. It's all about him being a cancer to his teammates in their goal to win a Super Bowl. Leaving the stadium, snoring in position meetings, etc. have nothing to do with loyalty. Him going to the Patriots made it even sweeter when they lost. I would never accept his type of behavior with my 12-year-old son so I'm sure not going to with a 40-year-old man.

I appreciate his play during his prime, but I simply have no respect for him.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    For me, loyalty has nothing to do with it. It's all about him being a cancer to his teammates in their goal to win a Super Bowl. Leaving the stadium, snoring in position meetings, etc. have nothing to do with loyalty. Him going to the Patriots made it even sweeter when they lost. I would never accept his type of behavior with my 12-year-old son so I'm sure not going to with a 40-year-old man.

I appreciate his play during his prime, but I simply have no respect for him.

you do not feel as though some culpability goes to the staff ?

1) for leading him to believe he was being saved in camp for the regular season ( setting him up to be pissed off )

2) for permitting such behavior to begin with and not putting a stop to it from the get go ?

not trying to argue just trying to grasp your position better ...

as it seems to me its understandable he was upset and pissed off ( but agree he failed to handle it correctly )

it also seems to me that a well run coaching staff worth their salt would have pulled him aside and said look we will not condone that sort of thing around here and if it continues disciplinary action will have to be taken so we do not lose the respect of the rest of the team

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

1) for leading him to believe he was being saved in camp for the regular season ( setting him up to be pissed off )

2) for permitting such behavior to begin with and not putting a stop to it from the get go ?

as it seems to me its understandable he was upset and pissed off ( but agree he failed to handle it correctly )

it also seems to me that a well run coaching staff worth their salt would have pulled him aside and said look we will not condone that sort of thing around here and if it continues disciplinary action will have to be taken so we do not lose the respect of the rest of the team
    Because he didn't get to play? %#$^% No!!!!!! It's a game and a business. Watt made his services mostly unneeded. At the most he became an insurance policy. When you're 39 in the NFL that happens. There is no excuse. Zero. None. for quitting on your teammates. Would you allow your 10-12 year-old son to carry on that way if he wasn't getting to play?

As to discipline? I think instead of cutting him they should have suspended him the first time he left the stadium. That said, it doesn't make Harrison less culpable for his behavior.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

you touch on a great point and one I have never understood from the moment I heard about Deebo snoring in team meetings.

how in the world do Joey Porter, Keith Butler and Mike Tomlin allow this type of disruptive and disrespectful behavior and maintain respect from the other LBers and players on the team? I would have woke his ass up and told him to get the hell out of the room and suspended him one game for conduct detrimental to the team yet the Steelers coaches allowed this?

you touch on a great point and one I have never understood from the moment I heard about Deebo snoring in team meetings.

how in the world do Joey Porter, Keith Butler and Mike Tomlin allow this type of disruptive and disrespectful behavior and maintain respect from the other LBers and players on the team? I would have woke his ass up and told him to get the hell out of the room and suspended him one game for conduct detrimental to the team yet the Steelers coaches allowed this?

that in a nutshell is the 64 million dollar question ....

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Why does snoring in team meetings mean a continues act? He falls asleep, he starts snoring, he gets woken up. It happens again on another day, he gets woken up and told later not to let it happen again. Unless I'm missing something, why does it have to be more than something that simple?
    keep your ass awake LOL thats what it means , they are not going over a game plan for the sake of doing so ...its disrespectful to the organization , the team and the coaching staff to sleep through it ( but you knew that part already )

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I remember Cowher telling a story...

Cowher said that in all of his years of playing and coaching, he’d been around some big, mean mutha f*ckas, but he never felt fear... until he met James Harrison. When Harrison would knock on Cowher’s door and enter his office (even just to say “Hi”), Cowher would tense up & get chills.

So, as they say: Everyone thinks belling the cat is a great idea, until they are the one who has to actually to do it.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I get Harrison's side of things. He retired to spend more time with his family after thoroughly hating his years in Cincy. The Steelers offer him a deal and bring him back, after he has made the decision to walk away. He signs up to play for 2 more years and the chance at another SuperBowl. Then in year 2, he's watching from the sidelines or not even getting a helmet on game day, and he's wondering why did he come back for this. That's frustrating. Especially after how difficult it had to be to retire the first time. Then to come back 'home' and they treat you like time to find grandpa a home. I really do get his side of things. But....Harrison chose to force the FO to release him by childish, selfish behavior in the team facility. He got his feelings hurt so he acted out and forced someone to take action.

Still, IMO, big freakin' deal. Sign him to a 1 day contract and let him retire as a Steeler. He deserves the Steelers Ring of Honor. I would wear a 92 Harrison jersey proudly to any Steeler's game.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Why does snoring in team meetings mean a continues act? He falls asleep, he starts snoring, he gets woken up. It happens again on another day, he gets woken up and told later not to let it happen again. Unless I'm missing something, why does it have to be more than something that simple?
    His TEAMMATES are the ones who made it a big deal

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

The BOLD print is your answer ! 3 coaches that have NO discipline and poor coaching skills. Porter and Butler should have received 'walking papers' this past off season because of a pathetic defense. And Tomlin's ass should be 'smoldering' ! I agree with the other's ....Harrison should've been woke up and told to walk out.....and maybe a nice fine the next time. Poor example to the youngsters.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

James Harrison is James Harrison. It doesn't matter whether he's lying on the turf in the end zone, during a Super Bowl, exhausted from carrying 275lbs and a football the length of the field, or putting on an enemy uniform. He did what he did, does what he does, and sometimes it works for him, and sometimes it doesn't.