Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison retires Part 2

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Harrison retires Part 2

Who cares ? I sure in the hell don't. What's up Jimmy, can't you find any other team to play with this year ? Maybe Brown's will take you ? As far as I'm concerned you still have that CAT smell on you from the bungholes. I lost any respect and concern for you, especially the cheater trip you took. I sure in the hell hope the Steeler's don't sponsor you as a team to 'retire' from. You last played with the cheaters....so wear their attire ! I'm done with you as a Steeler.....sure in the hell glad I don't own any of your crap.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Harrison retire Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Who cares ? I sure in the hell don't. What's up Jimmy, can't you find any other team to play with this year ? Maybe Brown's will take you ? As far as I'm concerned you still have that CAT smell on you from the bungholes. I lost any respect and concern for you, especially the cheater trip you took. I sure in the hell hope the Steeler's don't sponsor you as a team to 'retire' from. You last played with the cheaters....so wear their attire ! I'm done with you as a Steeler.....sure in the hell glad I don't own any of your crap.
    It's a business - Harrison wanted to play and he acted out to get released after it was clear he no longer could handle the changed responsibilities of a Steelers OLB - not admirable behavior but lots of what goes down on and off the field in the NFL (including by other past & present Steelers) is not admirable

If he would have won another ring out of the deal he would have been regarded as having played his cards brilliantly

Fans forgave Franco for going to the Seahawks after he was released as a result of a contract dispute - I expect most Steelers fans will get over Harrison going to the Pats since the Pats lost the Super Bowl with Harrison on the team

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Hope getting torched by Nick Foles in a Super Bowl was worth tainting your legacy over

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    It's a business - Harrison wanted to play and he acted out to get released after it was clear he no longer could handle the changed responsibilities of a Steelers OLB - not admirable behavior but lots of what goes down on and off the field in the NFL (including by other past & present Steelers) is not admirable

If he would have won another ring out of the deal he would have been regarded as having played his cards brilliantly

Fans forgave Franco for going to the Seahawks after he was released as a result of a contract dispute - I expect most Steelers fans will get over Harrison going to the Pats since the Pats lost the Super Bowl with Harrison on the team
    Which player from the past would leave the stadium on game day? I don't care that he went to the Pats; it's how he got there that I won't forget.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Already forgiven as far as I'm concerned. It's like virtually any marriage that stands the course of time. There's going to be bumps in the road. People aren't perfect. And pride and vanity can make the best of us look like a-holes at times. But in the end if the good far outweighs the bad and there was anything there to begin with you forgive and move past it. James if officially back in the Steeler family imo. I'm pretty sure most of his former teammates feel the same or will in short time. If you're gonna hate then you have to dismiss a lot of great football.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

You cared enough to make this thread. So many Yinzers that are butt hurt about James playing for another team. Get over it.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    You cared enough to make this thread. So many Yinzers that are butt hurt about James playing for another team. Get over it.
    Just making a statement .... don't respond if you don't want.....I could give shit ! Get over it.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Already forgiven as far as I'm concerned. It's like virtually any marriage that stands the course of time. There's going to be bumps in the road. People aren't perfect. And pride and vanity can make the best of us look like a-holes at times. But in the end if the good far outweighs the bad and there was anything there to begin with you forgive and move past it. James if officially back in the Steeler family imo. I'm pretty sure most of his former teammates feel the same or will in short time. If you're gonna hate then you have to dismiss a lot of great football.
    This.

Get over it. The guys is a Steeler Great and there’s nothing you can argue that makes it any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Such Hawt Taaaakes. Like him or not, still gonna go down as a franchise great.

Franco never left the stadium right before or during a game

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Which player from the past would leave the stadium on game day? I don't care that he went to the Pats; it's how he got there that I won't forget.
    Mendenhall would not even show up

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Mendenhall was a no-show for the game, failing to arrive after being told he wouldn’t be on the active game-day roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-sundays-game/

My point is fans forgive and/or forget for good to great players - which 70s player shot up a police helicopter and was a fan favorite ?

Which current player escaped being indicted for sexual assault in Georgia and now is idolized by most of the fan base?

To me Harrison belongs in a similar class as T.O., yes a great player with a long productive but also a selfish me first jackass who engaged in me-first behavior that cannot be overlooked. Harrison may not have engaged in selfish antics for as long as T.O. did, but nevertheless the crap he pulled puts a permanent black eye on his legacy and the stuff he did on the field won't overshadow it.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Mendenhall would not even show up

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Mendenhall was a no-show for the game, failing to arrive after being told he wouldn’t be on the active game-day roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-sundays-game/

My point is fans forgive and/or forget for good to great players - which 70s player shot up a police helicopter and was a fan favorite ?

Which current player escaped being indicted for sexual assault in Georgia and now is idolized by most of the fan base?

He wasn't indicted because the evidence didn't support such an action, therefore he's owed a presumption of innocence. I'm with your overall point but if in my heart of hearts I thought Ben was an actual rapist I couldn't support him or the team until he was gone. After reading everything there was to read on the case I'm quite comfortable that Ben's only guilt was indiscretion and callousness during and after the fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    To me Harrison belongs in a similar class as T.O., yes a great player with a long productive but also a selfish me first jackass who engaged in me-first behavior that cannot be overlooked. Harrison may not have engaged in selfish antics for as long as T.O. did, but nevertheless the crap he pulled puts a permanent black eye on his legacy and the stuff he did on the field won't overshadow it.
    Yeah somehow I don't think the longest interception return for a TD in SB history will be forgotten by most of us anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    He wasn't indicted because the evidence didn't support such an action, therefore he's owed a presumption of innocence. I'm with your overall point but if in my heart of hearts I thought Ben was an actual rapist I couldn't support him or the team until he was gone. After reading everything there was to read on the case I'm quite comfortable that Ben's only guilt was indiscretion and callousness during and after the fact.
    Not trying to reargue the Milledgeville cluster, but we respectfully disagree - what happened and what could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to secure a criminal conviction are different standards. The case went away after the alleged victim retained Atlanta plaintiff's attorney Lee Parks, who specializes in civil sexual harassment cases, not criminal law, and quit cooperating with the prosecutors. Draw your own conclusions if a hefty civil settlement had any impact on how that turned out.

Also did not hurt that Ben could afford to be represented by Eddie Garland and Don Samuels, the attorneys who represented Ray Lewis (who also eventually got a pass with most Ravens fans for his alleged misconduct) during his run in with Georgia prosecutors.

But even without an indictment Ben was dragged at the time for being a jackass since he had entered the NFL

An NFL superstar's repulsive behavior, the ultimate expression of athletic entitlement run amok, has forced even the most diehard fans to question their team and their football faith

https://www.si.com/vault/2010/05/10/...roethlisberger

Even if Ben's version of events was totally correct his behavior was much worse than what Harrison allegedly did in 2017. Most fans got over it just as they will with Harrison.

[QUOTE=zulater
    Yeah somehow I don't think the longest interception return for a TD in SB history will be forgotten by most of us anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

I do agree the TD play was great, as was Ben's tackle after Bus fumble, etc., etc., but I still don't consider Harrison a 'franchise great'. Sorry.

Not trying to reargue the Milledgeville cluster, but we respectfully disagree - what happened and what could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to secure a criminal conviction are different standards. The case went away after the alleged victim retained Atlanta plaintiff's attorney Lee Parks, who specializes in civil sexual harassment cases, not criminal law, and quit cooperating with the prosecutors. Draw your own conclusions if a hefty civil settlement had any impact on how that turned out.

Also did not hurt that Ben could afford to be represented by Eddie Garland and Don Samuels, the attorneys who represented Ray Lewis (who also eventually got a pass with most Ravens fans for his alleged misconduct) during his run in with Georgia prosecutors.

But even without an indictment Ben was dragged at the time for being a jackass since he had entered the NFL

An NFL superstar's repulsive behavior, the ultimate expression of athletic entitlement run amok, has forced even the most diehard fans to question their team and their football faith

https://www.si.com/vault/2010/05/10/...roethlisberger

Even if Ben's version of events was totally correct his behavior was much worse than what Harrison allegedly did in 2017. Most fans got over it just as they will with Harrison.

If you have the money you settle to put it behind you guilty or not. If that case goes to a court room even if Ben wins he loses. I read her story. It was inconsistent and didn't make a case for rape in any way.

Rapist's by nature continue to seek and assault. I'm confident Ben will never see such an allegation again. Because it's not who he is or ever was.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I do agree the TD play was great, as was Ben's tackle after Bus fumble, etc., etc., but I still don't consider Harrison a 'franchise great'. Sorry.
    I respectfully disagree. He pretty much contributed majorly to a Super Bowl Title. He leads the franchise in sacks. He showed up on game day every single week up until he felt he was being screwed with. I am in the camp that how he handled it was bullshit and could’ve been handled much better but understand the frustration that was there. End story, he handled it poorly. Doesn’t take away his accomplishments on the field or what he’s done in a Steelers uniform. There were games that he pretty much handled the offense of the opposing team on his own. IMO, he’s a Steeler great.

Also there was the time he tackled the Browns fan...lol

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I kinda figure the all-time Steeler sack leader, the dude who is 8th in tackles, and the author of multiple game altering plays along with one of the most iconic SB moments ever kinda deserves to go down as a "Franchise Great".

No one has to like the dude and I am not shocked that a player who fed on emotion and used the "no one believes I can play" mindset as motivation for his entire career ended up lashing out as his career wound to a close.

But to deny that Harrison is one of the best players to ever line up at OLB for the Pittsburgh Steelers is a little bit of a stretch.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I respectfully disagree. He pretty much contributed majorly to a Super Bowl Title. He leads the franchise in sacks. He showed up on game day every single week up until he felt he was being screwed with. I am in the camp that how he handled it was bullshit and could’ve been handled much better but understand the frustration that was there. End story, he handled it poorly. Doesn’t take away his accomplishments on the field or what he’s done in a Steelers uniform. There were games that he pretty much handled the offense of the opposing team on his own. IMO, he’s a Steeler great.
    Agree 100%
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

One of the best players to play in a Steelers jersey.

Just sucks he became a snake at the end.

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

I agree with Atlanta.. It's a business. Did I like him going to the cheats? hell no, did I like him acting like a jackass because he wasn't getting playing time, nope not at all. But Deebo will always be one of the greatest Linebackers to wear the black and gold.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Harrison scored the greatest TD in SB history. Although his behavior and choices were often controversial, James Harrison was a great Steeler.
    All Defense!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I gotta respectfully disagree. T.O. divided and destroyed locker rooms everywhere he went for the duration of his career. I don't consider his and Harrison's cases to be even remotely similar, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If I could have Harrison’s entire career all over again (warts & all), I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Sure, it ended badly, but it’s kind of like Indian food: great.. until the very end part.

Harrison retire Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I gotta respectfully disagree. T.O. divided and destroyed locker rooms everywhere he went for the duration of his career. I don't consider his and Harrison's cases to be even remotely similar, honestly.
    Where did TO divide and destroy locker rooms? Even McNabb, who TO and he had his differences, praised TO. Sure the guy was an asshole at times, but he didn’t destroy anything in San Fran or Dallas and it’s questionable that he actually did in Philadelphia after McNabb later praises the guy.

Regardless, I agree...Harrison and Owens situations aren’t remotely close.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Wounds are still fresh. But he is the alltime leading sackrr for us. And won us a Superbowl. He playrd his best football for us. He will be forgiven in time.

But right now I find it hard visualizing him getting a standing ovation in Heinz field if he came to visit on veterens night.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

James Harrison a Great Steeler who didn't always make Great decisions. This is a guy who would walk off the field because he messed up on a play. Cut 3 times early in his career because he didn't seem to be getting it...yet through it all he found ways to get back on the team (I have always said I would rather be lucky than good). James had some luck.

James made some Great plays, I still remember when he was a back up for Joey and he intercepted a pass against the chargers and leaped over Tomlinson. I knew he was going to be special and he was. I also remember the Steelers 75th anniversary game where James single handedly tore up the ravens on a Monday night. I would dare to say the single best game I have ever seen a defender have.All this goes along with one of the Greatest plays in Superbowl history.

I can understand why people are mad at James for what he did, but nobody ever accused James of making the best decisions ever. James made his mistakes but that's what makes him human. Love that he was a Steeler and look forward to him being in the Hall some day. Welcome back James