Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?

Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?

By Chris Wesseling
    Around the NFL Writer
    Published: May 4, 2018

One year after "seriously" contemplating retirement, Ben Roethlisberger is struggling with the Steelers' decision to draft Mason Rudolph as his heir apparent.

Roethlisberger has made it clear that Rudolph won't see the field anytime soon, stating early this week his intention to play for "three or five more years."

In a Friday morning interview with KDKA's Cook and Poni in Pittsburgh, Roethlisberger expressed further displeasure, questioning the allocation of resources toward another potential quarterback of the future.

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...elp-us-win-now

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?

Get over it Ben and sad to see you still can act like a child. Sorry Steelers need to plan ahead after you are gone and your fault with your bs talk about retiring the last two years.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Very often, I wish Ben would just SHUT UP!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I understand feeling disappointed that the franchise drafted for the future when he is entering the final years of his career (largely neglecting the paper thin depth at LB while spending a 3rd round pick on a 3rd strong project OT), but don't complain to the media about it. Complaining to the media can't change anything and all it does is create MORE drama

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Why does Ben have to say stupid stuff to the media?
    Ben Apologist: "Because the media asked him a question... what was he going to do?"

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Honestly how many times does a 3rd pick come in and immediately help a team to win ? The third round pick could have been for a punter or long snapper and Ben wouldn't have said crap.

It's not his job to be the personnel guy. The Steelers were great before Ben and they'll be great after Ben.

I hope Ben's ego bruise gets better by the time of training camp and don't throw passes in the dirt to Washington to get back at the Steelers for drafting Rudolph.
    Last edited by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue; 05-04-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It's not his job to be the personnel guy. The Steelers were great before Ben and they'll be great after Ben.
    I'm not sure I'd say that. Steelers were 1-4 in AFCCGs and 0-1 in SBs between Bradshaw and Ben. Since then, the Steelers are 3-2 in AFCCGs and 2-1 in SBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'm not sure I'd say that. Steelers were 1-4 in AFCCGs and 0-1 in SBs between Bradshaw and Ben. Since then, the Steelers are 3-2 in AFCCGs and 2-1 in SBs.
    I'm not talking short-term history, but overall. Every teams goes through ups and downs. Plus, all of Ben's success is stacked in the beginning of his career, not the last 8 years.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I'm not talking short-term history, but overall. Every teams goes through ups and downs. Plus, all of Ben's success is stacked in the beginning of his career, not the last 8 years.
    Well, he had Cowher's team.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Ben should question why they use draft picks at all after the 2nd round since it's unlikely 3rd round pick helps day one. Is he questioning why they drafted an offensive tackle also?

Ben feeling a little jealous it seems and he shouldn't be. #7 is the starting QB for this team, there is no doubt about it. Wish he understood that he's 36 and he won't play forever. All it takes is one hit to change the outlook for this team.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Clearly the retirement rhetoric was simply a power move to oust Haley.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Why does Ben have to say stupid stuff to the media?
    Because Pittsburgh fans already have one certain HOF player with multiple championships who never feels the need to stir the media pot in Sidney Crosby and it helps us all appreciate that more in someone who is the face of the franchise?

It is part of the package - Ben has been acting out since his rookie year and is not about to change now

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Because Pittsburgh fans already have one certain HOF player with multiple championships who never feels the need to stir the media pot in Sidney Crosby and it helps us all appreciate that more in someone who is the face of the franchise?

It is part of the package - Ben has been acting out since his rookie year and is not about to change now
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Also Sorry Ben, fans and the Steelers want the team to be good after you are gone. Sorry that's not cool with you!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Why can't we all just get along?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Its quite telling when a rookie QB drafted in R3 has more class and maturity than a seasoned vet, thats married with kids.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Its quite telling when a rookie QB drafted in R3 has more class and maturity than a seasoned vet, thats married with kids.
    Ben and the word class has never been uttered in same sentence from me. I think he’s a hall of Famer, and appreciate the way he plays but I’m actually ready and excited for the Mason Rudolph era. I wouldn’t mind another SB win though.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Ben Roethlisberger isn’t a fan of using a third-round pick on a quarterback

Posted by Mike Florio on May 4, 2018

In New York, veteran quarterback Josh McCown plans to do everything in his power to help rookie Sam Darnold learn the ropes. In Pittsburgh, veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger apparently plans to to everything in his power to not help Mason Rudolph.

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...a-quarterback/

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

When is everybody going to learn that everything Ben says is going to be taken out of context and spun to make him look like even more of an asshole than even he can make himself?

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I agree, although after listening to the interview, Been did sound pretty petty at multiple points throughout the interview. However, the media will milk this for all it's worth in order to get ratings and clicks on their website. Those vultures love this kind of crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    When is everybody going to learn that everything Ben says is going to be taken out of context and spun to make him look like even more of an asshole than even he can make himself?
    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Ben wants to win now. He isn't worried about his job.

Every single competitor feels exactly the same way that Ben does......Most are just mature enough to not say too much about it publicly.

I hate when he says some of the things he does to the media.

In the end, Ben's words don't matter.

Montana treated Young like shit and wouldn't do anything to prepare him to help the team.

Favre treated Rodgers like shit, wouldn't help him, and whined about it publicly and within the walls of the facility.

I think Ben will help Rudolph become a better pro and help the team. If he doesn't, I'll be very disappointed.

What's worse....words or actions?

My point is.....What's worse, saying some honest things that pissed you off to the press and then going out and still being a good pro and teammate while helping the team....or not saying anything publicly while being a dick to the draft pick and not helping a teammate become a better player to stick it to everybody in the organization and screwing all your teammates?

I know the answer. Does anyone else?

If Ben becomes the second part of my question above, I'll be the first one to rip him. Until then, people need to understand what really matters.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Ben wants to win now. He isn't worried about his job.

Every single competitor feels exactly the same way that Ben does......Most are just mature enough to not say too much about it publicly.

I hate when he says some of the things he does to the media.

In the end, Ben's words don't matter.

Montana treated Young like shit and wouldn't do anything to prepare him to help the team.

Favre treated Rodgers like shit, wouldn't help him, and whined about it publicly and within the walls of the facility.

I think Ben will help Rudolph become a better pro and help the team. If he doesn't, I'll be very disappointed.

What's worse....words or actions?

My point is.....What's worse, saying some honest things that pissed you off to the press and then going out and still being a good pro and teammate while helping the team....or not saying anything publicly while being a dick to the draft pick and not helping a teammate become a better player to stick it to everybody in the organization and screwing all your teammates?

I know the answer. Does anyone else?

If Ben becomes the second part of my question above, I'll be the first one to rip him. Until then, people need to understand what really matters.

What matters is life and lessons learned aren't a game.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Not sure if y'all have seen this, but I'm really liking how sharp this kid is.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Now THAT.....is how a Ben apologist gets a post done!!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Nothing out of context about Ben coming across as a jackass in a radio appearance on 93.7, his favored forum for stirring the pot

He got to pick the offensive coordinator - presumably figured catering to what best serves his interests in terms of personnel decisions should also happen - since that didn't happen he pouted

No surprise this story has gone national

Short-term gains aside, the Steelers can't put off planning for the future forever. The team and organization will go on without Roethlisberger whenever he does retire. Can you blame them for thinking that the end might be coming soon after the way he handled his offseason a year ago? Again, this is a quarterback who sounded like he was on the verge of retirement a year ago. ...

Remember when we thought the Steelers seemingly got rid of their internal drama by parting ways with offensive coordinator Todd Haley? So much for that. The Steelers are making smart and sensible decisions that prioritize their long-term future over Roethlisberger's immediate future and as a result, Roethlisberger appears to be somewhat displeased. Throw in Le'Veon Bell's ongoing contract standoff with the Steelers and, well, the Steelers might just be on the verge of replacing the Patriots as the most tension-filled team in football.

Finally, the Steelers have found a way to overtake the Patriots in something.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...win-right-now/

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

... the Steelers might just be on the verge of replacing the Patriots as the most tension-filled team in football.

Get back to me when Ben goes over Tomlin's and Colbert's heads to whine to Art II to orchestrate a trade that sends Rudolph/Dobbs packing and leaves the team with no viable backup at QB.

But I guess it's different when "Saint Thomas of the Five Rings" does it...