Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Harrison retires Part 2

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Harrison retires Part 2

Tedi Bruschi went on record saying he would never be caught dead wearing a Steelers jersey. Dislike him or not, but he has a point.

Wether we want to admit it or not, Harrison and the Steelers breaking up really hurts, and I'm not talking about just on a butthurt fan level. It's going to take a little for this one to heal. In the meantime, best of luck to Harrison for his retirement, but that's it.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Tedi Bruschi went on record saying he would never be caught dead wearing a Steelers jersey. Dislike him or not, but he has a point.

Wether we want to admit it or not, Harrison and the Steelers breaking up really hurts, and I'm not talking about just on a butthurt fan level. It's going to take a little for this one to heal. In the meantime, best of luck to Harrison for his retirement, but that's it.
    this sums up my feelings perfectly, I realize this is a business but loyalty is very important to me when I think about considering a player as an all-time Steelers great. all that's missing is Deebo in a Ravens' uniform...

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Harrison retire Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Forget the fans... his own teammates dissed him. That's way different. A parallel would be Pete Rose. As a Reds fan, I wanted Rose in the HOF. But then I heard Morgan and Bench come out and say that they did not support him being in. This changed my position. If his own teammates did not want him in then that was an indictment that I could not overcome. When Cam, Moats, Dupree and the rest of the D come out in support of Harrison than I will honor him.
    The reason Rose was disavowed by Morgan and Bench is because they know damn well he bet on Reds games and more than likely bet against them on occasion. Biggest no no in sports.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

That's because Teddy knows he would be revealed as a total fraud if he didn't know the plays in advance! lol
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Harrison simply wanted to play.

I was miffed but have no hard feelings at this point.

This is how I will remember him.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Harrison simply wanted to play.

I was miffed but have no hard feelings at this point.
    True. And what people are forgetting is Harrison wasn't dealt with fairly by Tomlin, and the Steelers coaching staff. He put in a lot of work to play and was given short shift to a bunch of stiffs with no game. No one can tell me that the Steelers wouldn't have been better if they gave Harrison 6-15 snaps a game. More than anything his so called disloyalty stemmed from the (correct) perception he was being dealt dirty in regards to playing time. If your boss screws you or shows you up your company loyalty is going to go straight down the drain.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    True. And what people are forgetting is Harrison wasn't dealt with fairly by Tomlin, and the Steelers coaching staff. He put in a lot of work to play and was given short shift to a bunch of stiffs with no game. No one can tell me that the Steelers wouldn't have been better if they gave Harrison 6-15 snaps a game. More than anything his so called disloyalty stemmed from the (correct) perception he was being dealt dirty in regards to playing time. If your boss screws you or shows you up your company loyalty is going to go straight down the drain.
    I agree Zu.

...and imagine how the Steelers brass would have looked if he had helped the Patriots win another Superbowl.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I agree Zu.

...and imagine how the Steelers brass would have looked if he had helped the Patriots win another Superbowl.
    Anyone who doesn't think Harrison is loyal should go talk to Dick LeBeau. Harrison can be fiercely loyal and also can hold a grudge. He still hates Cowher to this day. Got a feeling his opinion of Porter and Tomlin isn't the greatest either.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Anyone who doesn't think Harrison is loyal should go talk to Dick LeBeau. Harrison can be fiercely loyal and also can hold a grudge. He still hates Cowher to this day. Got a feeling his opinion of Porter and Tomlin isn't the greatest either.

Loyalty to LeBeau went too far imo. His last year should have been after the embarrassing Tebow skunking. No question about Harrison's loyalty to LeBeau, I'm sure James would have loved to have Watt sit on the bench for a few years under the LeBeau plan.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Loyalty to LeBeau went too far imo. His last year should have been after the embarrassing Tebow skunking. No question about Harrison's loyalty to LeBeau, I'm sure James would have loved to have Watt sit on the bench for a few years under the LeBeau plan.
    Ridiculous statement, he would have changed the game against the Jags if he was in instead of Dupree, as setting the edge would have significantly slowed their run game. And on top of that he helped significantly last year.

For the record I hope he has a good retirement and he will always be one of my favorite players.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Yeaaah!!!!! Another “James Harrison shoulda played more” thread.

I was getting tired of the “Le’Veon Bell is overrated” threads.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Ridiculous statement, he would have changed the game against the Jags if he was in instead of Dupree, as setting the edge would have significantly slowed their run game. And on top of that he helped significantly last year.

For the record I hope he has a good retirement and he will always be one of my favorite players.
    I believe I said Watt, not Dupree.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I believe I said Watt, not Dupree.
    I wasn’t commenting about that, your statement about how he should have been done before he left for Bungles was ridiculous. He was better than Dupree last year and was our best OLB 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I wasn’t commenting about that, your statement about how he should have been done before he left for Bungles was ridiculous. He was better than Dupree last year and was our best OLB 2 years ago.

I was talking about Lebeau, not Harrison. How in the hell did the Bungles get into my post? I'm done with this one.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The reason Rose was disavowed by Morgan and Bench is because they know damn well he bet on Reds games and more than likely bet against them on occasion. Biggest no no in sports.
    Right and Harrison's teammates know how big of a cancer he was in the locker room this year.

- - - Updated - - -

The real litmus test with the fans will be that 90% of them will not only not care that he doesn't get elected to the HOF but in many respects will be glad. And this isn't a statement that speaks to the legitimacy of his candidacy, or lack thereof.

- - - Updated - - -

Harrison is not loyal. I don't need to talk with Dick to know that.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

Harrison is not loyal. I don't need to talk with Dick to know that.
    many positive adjectives come to my mind when I remember Deebo's Pittsburgh Steelers career. "Loyal" is not one of them...

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    this sums up my feelings perfectly, I realize this is a business but loyalty is very important to me when I think about considering a player as an all-time Steelers great. all that's missing is Deebo in a Ravens' uniform...

This is where I stand right now, also. Loyalty is something that is very important to me, as well. I may forgive him someday, but it's highly unlikely. Us women don't forget anything.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Loyalty goes both ways. I still believe that James got bad advice from his agent the first time that he left. His agent was telling him that he should be getting paid more when that wasn't the case. He refused the Steelers offer because of that advice and then found himself looking for a team with few offers. He had to take what he could get to continue his career and that meant playing for the Bengals.

This past season, the team wasn't loyal to him, period. That's where it all started. There were no issues with James prior to that. He was promised playing time before the season started and the team didn't follow through. If I'm contemplating leaving my job but am told by my boss that I'll be given specific things to make me stay, and then my boss doesn't follow through on those promises, I'm gonna be pissed. Do what you promise. James knew that this was probably going to be his last season and he didn't want to spend it standing on the sideline. He wanted to play and was promised playing time. That promise wasn't kept. I don't agree with his actions but I can understand how he felt after all of the years that he gave the Steelers organization.

Any talk of "loyalty" when it comes to James is ridiculous.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Those 2 pics of Harrison in a CHEATERS uniform and a BUNGHOLE uniform are priceless ! ( especially when some are talking about him being loyal !!)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Loyalty goes both ways..
    This. Neither side handled the situation well. James is James. It’s how the guy is. It’s the guy every Steelers fan loved and because the team was “unloyal” to him, he was “unloyal” to the team. It is what it is, get over it. The guys a Steelers great. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The first time James left the Steelers, they offered him what they thought he was worth to them. When James refused what they offered him, he went on to the open market and found out the Steelers had offered him more than anyone else was willing to offer him by a lot. He specifically signed with the Bengals so we could play the Steelers twice a year and try to stick it to them. He was a complete failure in Cincinnati with the Bengals.

The second time around he didn't get as much playing time as he wanted. Last time I checked, Harrison knew the rules of the NFL and NFL locker rooms. You have to earn your spot on the team, and you have to play better than the man in front of you if you want to get on the field. His position was right outside linebacker. Watt came in, and provided the athleticism and talent that they had been looking for at the position. Therefore, James got to sit his ass on the bench and watch the other guy play like every other NFL player in the history of NFL football did.....Period.

People need to stop romanticizing this guy and accept what he did while in Pittsburgh. He's a great player that got old, still wanted to play football, still wanted to make big money, and still wanted to start no matter how good the guy was in front of him because he was "James Harrison".

The Steelers consistently paid him more than anyone else in the NFL was willing to pay him. Every time he hit the open market there was literally zero interest and no one was willing to spend any money on him. The Steelers also put him in the system to maximize his talents while he was on the field in Pittsburgh. He thought he was worth way more money than he really was, and he thought he was much better then he really was at his age. He started to believe all his Instagram, Facebook, and whatever legendary workouts he posted on social media.
    Last edited by pczach; 04-18-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The first time James left the Steelers, they offered him what they thought he was worth to them. When James refused what they offered him, he went on to the open market and found out the Steelers had offered him more than anyone else was willing to offer him by a lot. He specifically signed with the Bengals so we could play the Steelers twice a year and try to stick it to them. He was a complete failure in Cincinnati with the Bengles.

The second time around he didn't get as much playing time as he wanted. Last time I checked, Harrison new the rules of the NFL and NFL locker rooms. You have to earn your spot on the team, and you have to play better than the man in front of you if you want to get on the field. His position was right outside linebacker. Watt came in, and provided the athleticism and talent that they had been looking for at the position. Therefore, James got to sit his ass on the bench and watch the other guy play like every other NFL player in the history of NFL football did.....Period.

People need to stop romanticizing this guy and accept what he did while in Pittsburgh. He's a great player that got old, still wanted to play football, still wanted to make big money, and still wanted to start no matter how good the guy was in front of him because he was "James Harrison".

The Steelers consistently paid him more than anyone else in the NFL was willing to pay him. Every time he hit the open market there was literally zero interest and no one was willing to spend any money on him. The Steelers also put him in the system to maximize his talents while he was on the field in Pittsburgh. He thought he was worth way more money than he really was, and he thought he was much better then he really was at his age. He started to believe all his Instagram, Facebook, and whatever legendary workouts he posted on social media.
    But...but....BUT....

Bud Dupree Sucks
    Rookies should earn their spots and not just get handed starting jobs based on draft position
    Jarvis Jones sucked
    A variety of arguments not backed by stats or game examples about setting the edge

I think that about covers it. Hopefully I have saved everyone some time.

Oh, yeah -- one more thing:

Steeldude.
    Steeldude.
    Steeldude.

I think he should appear now...just like candyman or bloody mary!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

The first time James left the Steelers, they offered him what they thought he was worth to them. When James refused what they offered him, he went on to the open market and found out the Steelers had offered him more than anyone else was willing to offer him by a lot. He specifically signed with the Bengals so we could play the Steelers twice a year and try to stick it to them. He was a complete failure in Cincinnati with the Bengles.

The second time around he didn't get as much playing time as he wanted. Last time I checked, Harrison new the rules of the NFL and NFL locker rooms. You have to earn your spot on the team, and you have to play better than the man in front of you if you want to get on the field. His position was right outside linebacker. Watt came in, and provided the athleticism and talent that they had been looking for at the position. Therefore, James got to sit his ass on the bench and watch the other guy play like every other NFL player in the history of NFL football did.....Period.

No one's "romanticizing" James. Mostly people are just trying to get others to stop posting incorrect information like the bolded part above. James wasn't asking to be the starter. He was only asking to get the playing time that he was promised by the coaching staff. Not "what he wanted", what he was promised. Period. That's all this comes down to.

You're acting as though James couldn't play any more but that's not correct. He played very well in the second half of the 2016 season when he was inserted as the starter. He didn't suddenly lose that over the off season.

If I'm thinking of leaving my job and my boss asks me to stick around and promises me a raise, promotion, whatever and then they don't follow through on that promise, I'm going to be pissed and I'm going to leave. This is no different.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

That about wraps this one up!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

We could make arguments that as the NFL has gone to more horizontally spread out offensive schemes, an OLB like James Harrison doesn't "fit" well.

We could discuss where a pass-rushing and run-stopping EDGE player fits in the NFL compared to those EDGE players that trade some pass rush and run stop prowess for the capability to play in space and deeper down the field than OLB's traditionally do (at least in a 3-4).

We could debate the perceived role of the OLBs in Butler's 2017 and forward version of the 3-4 and our understanding of the role of OLBs in the more traditional Lebeau version of the 3-4.

But, no one wants to do that. People just want to yell about how they feel and concepts of "loyalty" and "promises made versus promises kept".

C'mon man! This is modern pro sports. There is no loyalty and promises aren't worth the paper they are printed on or the breath used to say them. Winning is all that matters. For reasons that may or may not be clear to fans, the Steelers coaching staff judged that Watt and Dupree gave the Steelers a better chance to win in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    We could make arguments that as the NFL has gone to more horizontally spread out offensive schemes, an OLB like James Harrison doesn't "fit" well.

We could discuss where a pass-rushing and run-stopping EDGE player fits in the NFL compared to those EDGE players that trade some pass rush and run stop prowess for the capability to play in space and deeper down the field than OLB's traditionally do (at least in a 3-4).

We could debate the perceived role of the OLBs in Butler's 2017 and forward version of the 3-4 and our understanding of the role of OLBs in the more traditional Lebeau version of the 3-4.

But, no one wants to do that. People just want to yell about how they feel and concepts of "loyalty" and "promises made versus promises kept".

C'mon man! This is modern pro sports. There is no loyalty and promises aren't worth the paper they are printed on or the breath used to say them. Winning is all that matters. For reasons that may or may not be clear to fans, the Steelers coaching staff judged that Watt and Dupree gave the Steelers a better chance to win in 2017.
    You're correct and I don't have an issue with any of that. The thing that I laugh at is the Steeler fans who keep crying about Harrison being a "traitor" and him not being "loyal" without acknowledging that the Steelers weren't loyal to him. I understand completely why he wanted out and don't blame him even though I don't agree with a lot of his actions.

James had a long and great career with the Steelers. I will remember him for all of the years prior to 2017.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yeaaah!!!!! Another “James Harrison shoulda played more” thread.

I was getting tired of the “Le’Veon Bell is overrated” threads.
    ....before that you were likely tired of the "we should have drafted Eddy Lacy" threads.

You're correct and I don't have an issue with any of that. The thing that I laugh at is the Steeler fans who keep crying about Harrison being a "traitor" and him not being "loyal" without acknowledging that the Steelers weren't loyal to him. I understand completely why he wanted out and don't blame him even though I don't agree with a lot of his actions.

James had a long and great career with the Steelers. I will remember him for all of the years prior to 2017.
    Sounds like we are on the same page. I don't get how anyone can expect "loyalty" and "pro sports" to go together anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    ....before that you were likely tired of the "we should have drafted Eddy Lacy" threads.
    should have taken C.J. Mosley

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

No one's "romanticizing" James. Mostly people are just trying to get others to stop posting incorrect information like the bolded part above. James wasn't asking to be the starter. He was only asking to get the playing time that he was promised by the coaching staff. Not "what he wanted", what he was promised. Period. That's all this comes down to.

You're acting as though James couldn't play any more but that's not correct. He played very well in the second half of the 2016 season when he was inserted as the starter. He didn't suddenly lose that over the off season.

If I'm thinking of leaving my job and my boss asks me to stick around and promises me a raise, promotion, whatever and then they don't follow through on that promise, I'm going to be pissed and I'm going to leave. This is no different.

There's nothing incorrect about the paragraph you bolded.

Even if you think he was "promised" playing time, nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. Just like when players get contracts for previous production on the promise of that level of play going forward. Nobody is giving their money back when they underperform.

Was Tony Romo promised he would play when he got healthy? Brett Favre was butthurt when Aaron Rodgers took over his job. This is life in the NFL. Everyone knows that, and nobody knows that better than NFL players like James Harrison.

If Ben gets hurt and a young QB comes in and lights it up while he's out.....Ben is probably out of a job and on the trading block. This is reality in the NFL. I just don't understand how anybody can believe that he was screwed over by the team when he still made exactly as much money for not playing as he did for playing. If and when they promised him playing time, they probably thought there would be a much more steep learning curve for Watt, and they wanted to know what they had before they adjusted the scheme for the athleticism of Watt and Dupree. After they decided that Watt and Dupree were capable of much more than James ever could, they designed the responsibilities of the OLB position to take advantage of that athleticism and Harrison just didn't fit the scheme to be anything but a designated rusher. That's basically all he has been for a couple years.

You also keep saying how James could still play. Here are a few question for you, but I'll answer them for you.

When was the last time James played well in any scheme other than the Steelers scheme?

Answer: Never. The next time James plays well for another team and is worthy of being a starter will be the first time in his career. He sucked for the Bengals, and he was a one-dimensional pass rusher for the Patriots.

What has James ever shown from a flexibility standpoint in regards to playing in different schemes?

Answer: None. He has never shown the ability to play in any scheme other than the Steelers 3-4 OLB scheme which was designed by LeBeau, and played to all Harrison's strengths.

What has Harrison done from a workout perspective to improve his performance on the weaknesses of his game?

Answer: Next to none. He spent all his time doing strength exercises and posting every workout online because he appears more interested in being a pro wrestler than he ever was in improving his flexibility, quickness, speed, cover skills, etc... He turned into a one-trick pony at the end of his career.....and that's OK. What's not OK is acting like he should be on the field when he was incapable of performing what was asked of him, and seemed to do next to nothing to get smaller and quicker.

When has a disgruntled player ever always slept in meetings, refused to help other players, left the facilities repeatedly, gone out of his way to screw his teammates and the organization........and has been rewarded with more playing time?

Answer: I don't know, but it should be never.

When was the last time a team wanted him more than the Steelers did, or was willing to pay him more money?

Answer: NEVER

Both times James left the Steelers, he went out of his way to try to screw the team. He also always took far LESS money than he was making with the Steelers. It doesn't sound like your last paragraph even remotely applies to Harrison's situation. He was getting paid to sleep in meetings and not help the team in any way.

It sounds to me like the Steelers were far more loyal to Harrison than he was to them.

So, you're saying you wouldn't consider Rod Woodson an all-time Steelers great?

Our all-time kicker is Gary Anderson, but you wouldn't consider him an all-time great?

(Lest we forget, these are the former Oilers, a division rival that Anderson would have played against several times as a Steelers player).

Of course, even though this is an anachronism, we can't forget the best RB in Franco Harris: