View Poll Results: Who should the Steelers select in Round 1?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jessie Bates III, S Wake Forest

1 2.94%
  • Leighton Vander Esch, ILB Boise St

7 20.59%
  • Rashaan Evans, ILB Alabama

14 41.18%
  • Mike Gesicki, TE Penn St

0 0%
  • Dallas Goedert, TE South Dakota St

0 0%
  • Derrius Guice, RB LSU

0 0%
  • Ronnie Harrison, S Alabama

1 2.94%
  • Will Hernandez, G UTEP

0 0%
  • Sam Hubbard DE/OLB Ohio St

1 2.94%
  • Lamar Jackson, QB Louisville

1 2.94%
  • Harold Landry, OLB Boston College

1 2.94%
  • Billy Price, C Ohio St.

1 2.94%
  • Justin Reid, S Stanford

3 8.82%
  • Mason Rudolph, QB Oklahoma St

4 11.76%
  • Isaiah Wynn, G Georgia

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who should the Steelers select in Round 1?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Who should the Steelers select in Round 1?

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Guice is a good option and they do need to think about replacing Bell, but I just think it was hard to select Guice over all the other 1st round ILB, OLB, and S prospects
    There’s a good chance that none of those ILBs are even available at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There’s a good chance that none of those ILBs are even available at that point.
    Agreed. If Guice is there at 28 the steelers need to take him, being Bell will not be here next season.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Agreed. If Guice is there at 28 the steelers need to take him, being Bell will not be here next season.
    just wondering, how come you didn't vote for Guice then?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018reader_1.php

The Steelers are on the clock in Walterfootball's annual reader mock. Options are:

Rashaan Evans
    Derrius Guice
    Ronnie Harrison
    Mike Hughes
    Kyle Lauletta
    Sony Michel
    Justin Reid
    Mason Rudolph

Evans has a commanding lead, poll may not last too long

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018reader_1.php

The Steelers are on the clock in Walterfootball's annual reader mock. Options are:

Rashaan Evans
    Derrius Guice
    Ronnie Harrison
    Mike Hughes
    Kyle Lauletta
    Sony Michel
    Justin Reid
    Mason Rudolph

Evans has a commanding lead, poll may not last too long
    That site always reroutes me to an ad...

Regardless, IMO, with those option available, it’s either Evans or Reid.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

28. Pittsburgh Steelers: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

The Steelers just miss out on Rashaan Evans here. I think Leighton Vander Esch could be in play at this point, but some teams have him graded on Day 2 over significant injury concerns. Le'Veon Bell looks like he is on a 1-year proposition in Pittsburgh, and Michel could be a natural scheme fit as a replacement.

The 5-foot-11, 214-pound Michel averaged 7.9 yards per carry in 2017 for 1,227 yards with 16 touchdowns. Michel has a ton of fans in the scouting community and was receiving second-day grades during the fall before his tremendous finish to the season that put him in contention to be a first-round pick. One general manager told me he thinks Michel could go late in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft. Aside from being a quick back capable of ripping off long runs, Michel showed well in the passing game as a receiver and blocker during his collegiate career. Michel has starting potential for the NFL with speed, strength and versatility. He also enters the pros with less wear-and-tear after splitting carries with a variety of backs at Georgia.

Michel played well in 2016 while serving as the backup to Nick Chubb. On the season, Michel took 152 carries for 840 yards - a 5.3-yard average - and four touchdowns. He also had 22 receptions for 149 yards.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018charlie_1.php

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

There really are a lot of very good RBs in this draft.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

My guess is the Ravens or Bungles will draft an ILB just to keep the Steelers from getting one.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    just wondering, how come you didn't vote for Guice then?
    I like LVE to be honest.. But like 86 said they probably won't be there at 28

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    My guess is the Ravens or Bungles will draft an ILB just to keep the Steelers from getting one.
    The sad part is the Bengals are no in the market for one to replace Burfict for the beginning of the season and they’d love to stick it to the Steelers...again.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

I like ronnie harrison at 28, so no worries whomever i have a draft crush on never happens, so youre all safe on your picks except shoes TE

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I always notice that whenever one player is frequently linked to the Steelers in round 1, that pick does not end up happening. Evans to the Steelers feels a lot like 2012 when Don'ta Hightower was frequently mocked to the Steelers, then it didn't happen (in 2012 it was Decastro falling).

I always notice that whenever one player is frequently linked to the Steelers in round 1, that pick does not end up happening. Evans to the Steelers feels a lot like 2012 when Don'ta Hightower was frequently mocked to the Steelers, then it didn't happen (in 2012 it was Decastro falling).
    That is interesting, because over at the site that I was on at the time, DeCastro was the player whom we discussed the most. But, yes, Hightower was discussed quite a bit, as well.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think plan A is ILB. OL, TE, WR, RB, and QB would all be a luxury pick for the offense. Bell is the starter with backups in place, IF everyone stays healthy and on the field, the other offensive positions are fine too. DL, CB, and Safety, with the addition of Burnett, would be a luxury pick also. That leaves ILB and OLB as first round needs. Plan A should be the more desperate ILB and plan B is edge rusher. If there are no 1st round ILB or OLB, then there will be a Safety, RB or QB the Steelers would consider. So I am down to 2 primary position goals and 3 secondary position goals. I f no ILB/OLB is there, I would hope to trade down though and get more overall picks.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I'm just throwing my 2 cents in, which means nothing......but, I'm NOT a 'draft' person. Couldn't care less, I think the draft is useless and means nothing, just a waste of time, most of the time it takes 3/4 year's for any draft to pan out and by then either the player has been traded off or not even playing the 'drafted' position. I know it's just me, but the draft time situation is just a joke in the sports field and a time that all, or most, of the talking sport heads to get aroused about nothing. Like I said, just my opinion....LOL. I like the surprise of getting some young, exciting player ( i.e. JuJu) and think, " damn, where in the hell did we get him", rather than be pissed and disappointed when we get a bust and wasted a pick. It's all just a roll of the dice and no one knows how a draftee will pan out in the real world of the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    It's all just a roll of the dice and no one knows how a draftee will pan out in the real world of the NFL.
    That is exactly why I find it so facilitating.

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

I think it's gotta be Evans or Vander Esch in Round 1. We have to fix the holes on defense. When Shazier wasn't on the field against Jacksonville in the playoff game, our run defense was pathetic. Shazier is that special, that he actual helps mask other deficiencies in our defense. We need an ILB that can try to fill his shoes. We also need a dominant pass rusher. Bud Dupree has been underwhelming, I wouldn't mind seeing Arden Key in Round 2 to provide Dupree with some motivation and competition.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

The draft is indeed a roll of the dice, but if it is a guess it should be an educated guess. Problem is, many of us, even those that do this for a living, get infatuated with a player and ignore some red flags. I did that with Jones myself.

I started with Evens, and will stick with him till another team calls his name. If we don't get an ILB in the 1st I hope we find one in the second, or 3rd at the latest, but don't draft one just to be drafting one.

I don't think Cincy will pick Evens because of the lack of drafting information. I don't believe he has a police record.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think plan A is ILB. OL, TE, WR, RB, and QB would all be a luxury pick for the offense. Bell is the starter with backups in place, IF everyone stays healthy and on the field, the other offensive positions are fine too. DL, CB, and Safety, with the addition of Burnett, would be a luxury pick also. That leaves ILB and OLB as first round needs. Plan A should be the more desperate ILB and plan B is edge rusher. If there are no 1st round ILB or OLB, then there will be a Safety, RB or QB the Steelers would consider. So I am down to 2 primary position goals and 3 secondary position goals. I f no ILB/OLB is there, I would hope to trade down though and get more overall picks.

this is a plan I can get behind
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Gotta believe that either Vander Esch or Evans will be when we pick. But I think a team ahead of us will "probably" grab Vander Esch due to his intangibles. Then I think we look at Safety in the second...and either WR or CB in the third.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I don't think Cincy will pick Evens because of the lack of drafting information. I don't believe he has a police record.

Joking aside, doesn’t “Arden Key to the Bengals” make complete sense???

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
    I think it's gotta be Evans or Vander Esch in Round 1. We have to fix the holes on defense. When Shazier wasn't on the field against Jacksonville in the playoff game, our run defense was pathetic. Shazier is that special, that he actual helps mask other deficiencies in our defense. We need an ILB that can try to fill his shoes. We also need a dominant pass rusher. Bud Dupree has been underwhelming, I wouldn't mind seeing Arden Key in Round 2 to provide Dupree with some motivation and competition.
    It’s good to see you posting here, Iowa. (This made my day.)

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Gotta believe that either Vander Esch or Evans will be when we pick. But I think a team ahead of us will "probably" grab Vander Esch due to his intangibles. Then I think we look at Safety in the second...and either WR or CB in the third.

If we go WR in the first half of the draft. I like Gallup out of Colorado St.

AML

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I've narrowed down the list of who I believe the pick will be if things go to plan (meaning players getting drafted where they're projected to go)

LVE (if he falls, some medical flagged him)
    Bates
    Evans
    Harrison

Maybe list
    Reid
    Guice (just can't see it)
    Lamar Jackson/Rudolph (which ever is there)
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    If we go WR in the first half of the draft. I like Gallup out of Colorado St.
    If we go 3rd or early 5th, Im guessing Richie James from Middle Tennesse St. or Christian Kirk of Texas A&M..... if we wait until the back end of the draft it might be Justin Watson of Penn St. or Quadree Henderson from Pittsburgh.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It’s good to see you posting here, Iowa. (This made my day.)
    Thanks Teeg! Yeah it's been awhile since I've visited this neck of the woods. I'm going to make a concerted effort to post over here a little bit more! Hope all is well with you brother!

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Thanks Teeg! Yeah it's been awhile since I've visited this neck of the woods. I'm going to make a concerted effort to post over here a little bit more! Hope all is well with you brother!
    I’m going to hold you to that. Because, really, your insight & logical posts are always a welcome addition.

(Life is very good.)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Hey Brother, great to see you here!

Anyone remember the clamoring for LenDale White? Lol.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Anyone remember the clamoring for LenDale White? Lol.
    all to well ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now