Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPOP: The 2018 Steelers Big Draft Board

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

TPOP: The 2018 Steelers Big Draft Board

Here is my latest article from The Point of Pittsburgh.

The 2018 Steelers Big Draft Board
    by Tiger Rowan

In few weeks, I will be creating my annual Steelers mock draft. In the meantime, I will set up a draft board. The way that I arrange my draft board is similar to how NFL teams set up their draft boards.

First, I create a list of players whom the Steelers would absolutely love to draft, but those players also have no realistic chance of dropping down to 28. Similarly, I make a list of players whom the Steelers do not need, but again, those players will assuredly go in the top portion of the draft.

After compiling those two lists, I generally have about a dozen names written down (players who have absolutely no shot at dropping to 28). At this juncture, I can now create a tiered list of the players whom the Steelers might actually draft.

Last, but not least, I make a list of players that the Steelers do not need (or, whom I do not want). This list is crucial, because every time that one of these players gets drafted, it bumps one of the players from the third list (i.e. possible picks) down towards Pittsburgh’s slot.

With no further ado...

Read more:
    http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...aft-big-board/

Feel free to pass this along to anyone who you think may be interested... including Kevin Colbert and/or Mike Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: TPOP: The 2018 Steelers Big Draft Board

nice work
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Good article Teeg.

The first round pick could go in any direction. Like any other year, we also have no idea who will still be available when the #28 pick is on the clock.

This is going to be exciting. Many are going to lose their minds. I hope I'm not one of them!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Great Stuff!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Good article Teeg.

The first round pick could go in any direction. Like any other year, we also have no idea who will still be available when the #28 pick is on the clock.

This is going to be exciting. Many are going to lose their minds. I hope I'm not one of them!
    This is absolutely going to be the most exciting first round that I’ve ever experienced.

The top 5 could all be QBs... or, 3 QBs... plus, three trades... or no trades. And, the after effects cascade down like dominos, all the way down the board, right into the 28th pick, which could be literally ANY position.

All that is certain: no matter who the pick is, some Steelers fans will immediately hate it.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    All that is certain: no matter who the pick is, some Steelers fans will immediately hate it.
    Fire Tomlin!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Love the part on the OL. My thoughts are the exact same, with one addition. BJ Finney is a FA after the 2018 season as well. Finney is currently the only backup for OG and Center. I can actually see an OL being picked in the first 3 rounds, or using 2 of the last 4 picks on OL. Losing Hubbard hurt a lot, he could play any position on the line. The interior of this OL could be in trouble if talent is not replaced.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Nice work

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

If there is anything certain in life...........that's it!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Nicely done TR!

If there is anything certain in life...........that's it!
    Death, taxes, and Steelers fans being disgruntled.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Good read, thanks!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Good stuff teegre.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mel Kiper: Steelers draft a OLB, RB, CB in 3 round Mock Draft

Kiper has the Steelers going defense with two of their first three picks in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Bryan DeArdo - Apr 11

Round 1 (28): Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College
    Round 2 (60): Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State
    Round 3 (92): Chris Campbell, CB, Penn State

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...raft-117230615

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Love the part on the OL. My thoughts are the exact same, with one addition. BJ Finney is a FA after the 2018 season as well. Finney is currently the only backup for OG and Center. I can actually see an OL being picked in the first 3 rounds, or using 2 of the last 4 picks on OL. Losing Hubbard hurt a lot, he could play any position on the line. The interior of this OL could be in trouble if talent is not replaced.
    Plus... if we draft the replacements now, they can train under Munchak for a year or two (while Munchak is still here).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Plus... if we draft the replacements now, they can train under Munchak for a year or two (while Munchak is still here).
    This is a deep draft for interior OL. I think we can get a very high quality guy in the 5th, maybe even double dip in the 5th. I do not see OL as a need for next season since we do have OTs that can move inside if absolutely needed, but after 2018 it gets very thin very fast. So maybe not double dip this draft(depending on who's on the board as always) but we should draft 1 and I would use a 5th.

Some rosters list Feiler as a backup OG, and some list him as a backup OT. The 3 new names just signed to camp are not expected to make the 53 or PS but maybe we get lucky with 1 or 2. Be nice to get 'Mike Hilton' lucky with one of them. I even found a roster that omitted AV completely. Truth is, IMO, the starting 5 are terrific. Backups are OT Hawkins, OG/C Finney, and OG/OT Feiler. I think 1 more quality interior guy would make us set.

This is a deep draft for interior OL. I think we can get a very high quality guy in the 5th, maybe even double dip in the 5th. I do not see OL as a need for next season since we do have OTs that can move inside if absolutely needed, but after 2018 it gets very thin very fast. So maybe not double dip this draft(depending on who's on the board as always) but we should draft 1 and I would use a 5th.

Some rosters list Feiler as a backup OG, and some list him as a backup OT. The 3 new names just signed to camp are not expected to make the 53 or PS but maybe we get lucky with 1 or 2. Be nice to get 'Mike Hilton' lucky with one of them. I even found a roster that omitted AV completely. Truth is, IMO, the starting 5 are terrific. Backups are OT Hawkins, OG/C Finney, and OG/OT Feiler. I think 1 more quality interior guy would make us set.
    As much sense as “we” are making, the Steelers have met with ZERO offensive linemen.

Not one.

As much sense as “we” are making, the Steelers have met with ZERO offensive linemen.

Not one.
    Just that rugby player. How many visits left? And what WRs have we met with?

Just that rugby player. How many visits left? And what WRs have we met with?
    About 15

James Washington, Oklahoma St.
    Donte Pettis, Washington
    Richie James, Middle Tenn St.
    Justin Watson, Penn
    Quadree Henderson, Pitt

About 15

Donte Pettis, Washington
    Justin Watson, Penn
    Quadree Henderson, Pitt
    Wow, 5'8" to 6'3". Hard to tell what type WR they are looking at. I think Pettis is the PR ace the Daves were talking about. He and Washington look like 2nd/3rd round guys, but small guys. I think I would rather look at 6'2" or taller if losing MB after 2018.

As for OG, this draft is the draft to get some really good guards. Many are decent center prospects as well. I would put a fairly large wager that we draft an interior OL this year.

Really want to emphasize how big losing Hubbard is. He played well for Gilbert when he was suspended. He played the blocking TE role in our jumbo package. I don't believe he ever had to play the center role, but he was able to move inside to guard as well. Now we are looking at possibly losing Foster and Finney after 2018 season and, again possibly, losing Pouncey and Decastro after 2019. It's not an urgent need but it is a need/want this draft.

Wow, 5'8" to 6'3". Hard to tell what type WR they are looking at. I think Pettis is the PR ace the Daves were talking about. He and Washington look like 2nd/3rd round guys, but small guys. I think I would rather look at 6'2" or taller if losing MB after 2018.

As for OG, this draft is the draft to get some really good guards. Many are decent center prospects as well. I would put a fairly large wager that we draft an interior OL this year.

Really want to emphasize how big losing Hubbard is. He played well for Gilbert when he was suspended. He played the blocking TE role in our jumbo package. I don't believe he ever had to play the center role, but he was able to move inside to guard as well. Now we are looking at possibly losing Foster and Finney after 2018 season and, again possibly, losing Pouncey and Decastro after 2019. It's not an urgent need but it is a need/want this draft.
    Washington has the two things that the Steelers love in receivers: speed and the willingness to fight for the football.

Ragnow from Arkansas is a stud... but, he’d be a Day 2 (instead of a Day 3) pick.

Oh, I absolutely think that OG & C are going to be huge needs. If the Steelers win the SuperBowl and Ben retires, so does Pouncey. With Foster aging/not having a contract, that leaves Finney at LG... and squat at OC.

My point (about visits) is that they haven’t had any visits with OL; so, it’s hard to say who they could draft. Then again, they attended Ohio State’s pro day (Price) and LSU’s pro day (they have two very good OGs). Lastly, they attended Arksnsas’s pro day, and there was no one worth watching there except for... Ragnow.

Washington has the two things that the Steelers love in receivers: speed and the willingness to fight for the football.

Ragnow from Arkansas is a stud... but, he’d be a Day 2 (instead of a Day 3) pick.

Oh, I absolutely think that OG & C are going to be huge needs. If the Steelers win the SuperBowl and Ben retires, so does Pouncey. With Foster aging/not having a contract, that leaves Finney at LG... and squat at OC.

My point (about visits) is that they haven’t had any visits with OL; so, it’s hard to say who they could draft. Then again, they attended Ohio State’s pro day (Price) and LSU’s pro day (they have two very good OGs). Lastly, they attended Arksnsas’s pro day, and there was no one worth watching there except for... Ragnow.
    I like Ragnow a lot too. If there is no "center field safety" at 60 worth taking, I would consider Ragnow there. I still think 28 will be ILB, Reid or Bates.

About 15

Donte Pettis, Washington
    Justin Watson, Penn
    Quadree Henderson, Pitt
    add Christian Kirk to that list:

Steelers host Texas A&M WR Christian Kirk on pre-draft visit

By: Simon A Chester

The Pittsburgh Steelers hosted their 16th pre-draft visitor on Friday and once again it is a name expected to go no earlier than the second round.

After an extremely productive career at Texas A&M, Christian Kirk should be among the first five wide receivers taken during the NFL Draft. Listed as a second-round prospect by most experts, Kirk has earned praise for his work ethic from coaches and scouts.

to read rest of article:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...e-draft-visit/

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    add Christian Kirk to that list:

Steelers host Texas A&M WR Christian Kirk on pre-draft visit

By: Simon A Chester

The Pittsburgh Steelers hosted their 16th pre-draft visitor on Friday and once again it is a name expected to go no earlier than the second round.

After an extremely productive career at Texas A&M, Christian Kirk should be among the first five wide receivers taken during the NFL Draft. Listed as a second-round prospect by most experts, Kirk has earned praise for his work ethic from coaches and scouts.

to read rest of article:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...e-draft-visit/
    That list helped me narrow everything down.

The Steelers will draft a WR somewhere between R2 and R7.

I'm praying for Anthony Miller in the second.

I just don't think he'll still be there.

but it certainly does look like the Steelers are serious about drafting a WR somewhere, you don't bring in six of them for official visits if you aren't.

I'm praying for Anthony Miller in the second.

I just don't think he'll still be there.
    Miller had an awful pro day... so, I think he’ll be there in R3.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Not one.
    Munch doesn’t need pre draft visits or scouting. He just runs his hands over the list of prospects until he feels a disturbance in the o line force...then he drafts that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    but it certainly does look like the Steelers are serious about drafting a WR somewhere, you don't bring in six of them for official visits if you aren't.
    Plus, they’ve visited with 7 TEs.

Hate to put all in on any one player, but Allen Lazard could solve the WR and TE want/need for the steelers.
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/allen-...7-82a438b6b248
    https://www.sbnation.com/2018/4/12/1...ard-iowa-state
    https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/...draft-profile/