Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TPOP: The 2018 Steelers Big Draft Board

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: TPOP: The 2018 Steelers Big Draft Board

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Plus, they’ve visited with 7 TEs.
    but they haven't brought in any of them for official visits...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    but they haven't brought in any of them for official visits...
    True

That said, msybe the Steelers assessed everything that they needed to know during the Combine interviews.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

True

That said, msybe the Steelers assessed everything that they needed to know during the Combine interviews.
    there's a huge party scheduled at Shoes' house if the Steelers draft a TE in Round 1 this year, everyone's invited!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

there's a huge party scheduled at Shoes' house if the Steelers draft a TE in Round 1 this year, everyone's invited!

True

if the Steelers view Vance McDonald as their starter and Jesse James as the backup then I wouldn't think TE would be addressed until Day 3. but that's a big if, McDonald seems to have a hard time staying on the field...

if the Steelers view Vance McDonald as their starter and Jesse James as the backup then I wouldn't think TE would be addressed until Day 3. but that's a big if, McDonald seems to have a hard time staying on the field...
    Ben loves McDonald. In that playoff game, we saw what Ben-to-McDonald can indeed be.

But, McDonald HAS to stay healthy.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Nice work bud. By the way, I don't think an interior line pick is completely out of the question, but I do think it's unlikely.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Ben loves McDonald. In that playoff game, we saw what Ben-to-McDonald can indeed be.

But, McDonald HAS to stay healthy.
    and consistent .............. cant have Ben lose confidence in him
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Nice work bud. By the way, I don't think an interior line pick is completely out of the question, but I do think it's unlikely.
    Rumor is that Quenton Nelson might slip into the teens. (Whaaaat???) If that did occur, as the other thread asked, “For whom would you trade up?” Well, my answer would be Nelson.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Rumor is that Quenton Nelson might slip into the teens. (Whaaaat???) If that did occur, as the other thread asked, “For whom would you trade up?” Well, my answer would be Nelson.

Deja vu all over again? Trading into the teens probably would cost to much, but early twenties could rate some consideration. Hell, Bell may pay us to stay here.

AML

Deja vu all over again? Trading into the teens probably would cost to much, but early twenties could rate some consideration. Hell, Bell may pay us to stay here.
    I know, right.

BELL: Gimme $18 million!!!

COLBERT: How about $14 million and we add Nelson...

BELL: Deal.

BELL: Gimme $18 million!!!

COLBERT: How about $14 million and we add Nelson...

BELL: Now I want $19 million.
    there, fixed it for you.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Starting to think far too much about how Round 1 goes down. I think Carter, Harrison, and one of the ILb will be on the board. Trying to think like Colbert, I come up with it being between Harrison and Carter. With Davis playing free safety and Burnett playing strong, Harrison has a year one role as a hybrid LB/safety sub package defender. Moving forward, he replaces Burnett. Some combination of Davis, Haden, and Sutton is the “answer” at FS.

Carter plays year one as an outside/onside package player. Eventually either moves inside full time and takes over for Bostic or supplants Dupree on the outside. If the latter, Long term ILB is then filled either with later round pick or in 2019 draft.

Wildcards in this are a sliding Nelson or Davenport. History says Colbert wouldn’t be able to resist either.

I’m gonna go on record saying Colbert can’t resist Carter if he’s there over both LVE and Evans. With Harrison as a fallback if they are feeling creative. Then Evans as they equivalent of applying to a safety school.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Wildcards in this are a sliding Nelson or Davenport. History says Colbert wouldn’t be able to resist either.
    Colbert has a history of not drafting small school players like Davenport in Round 1 and Nelson may slide a bit but nowhere near down to #28.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Colbert has a history of not drafting small school players like Davenport in Round 1 and Nelson may slide a bit but nowhere near down to #28.
    Stranger things and all that. Davenport would be a sharp break with non Ben tradition but he seems like the exact kind of toolsy edge rusher that Colbert can't resist.

But you are right, both would be a serious upset if they were both available and the pick

Nelson may slide a bit but nowhere near down to #28.
    True.

But, if he slides, how far up would you trade up?

28 = 660 points

60 = 300 points
    92 = 130 points
    Next year’s R1 is equivalent to this year’s R2 = 300

Trading our R3 gets us to 22.
    Trading our R2 gets us to 17.
    Trading our R2 & R3 gets us to 14.
    Trading our R2 & R3 AND next year’s R1 gets us to 8.

If he gets to 22, I would 100% trade up. If he gets to 17... hmmm... maybe. Other than that, I cannot justify even considering it.

Give up a 3rd round, you bet, a 2nd , I probably would probably take the clock down to 2 thinking that one over. I may be wrong about this kid, I was once before, no, twice, but I think this would make for probably the best interior line in the game, and make who ever our RB is look better. Then again, everyone knows I love the big uglies.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Give up a 3rd round, you bet, a 2nd , I probably would probably take the clock down to 2 thinking that one over. I may be wrong about this kid, I was once before, no, twice, but I think this would make for probably the best interior line in the game, and make who ever our RB is look better. Then again, everyone knows I love the big uglies.
    Put the OL into a bigger picture perspective....Let's just say Ben retires after 2018/2019. Pouncey, Foster, and DeCastro could ALL follow him. Age/current contracts are why I say that's possible. Finney is a FA after 2018 also. Now you have Dobbs/Jones and maybe new rookie QB with a new OL and who's the RB? If we do not address the OL disaster looms. That's my opinion.

BTW, Will Hernandez pressed 37 times at the combine and is close to Nelson in run block and may be better in pass protections. Hernandez could easily be there at 28. Just saying may not be the need to trade.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Put the OL into a bigger picture perspective....Let's just say Ben retires after 2018/2019. Pouncey, Foster, and DeCastro could ALL follow him. Age/current contracts are why I say that's possible. Finney is a FA after 2018 also. Now you have Dobbs/Jones and maybe new rookie QB with a new OL and who's the RB? If we do not address the OL disaster looms. That's my opinion.

BTW, Will Hernandez pressed 37 times at the combine and is close to Nelson in run block and may be better in pass protections. Hernandez could easily be there at 28. Just saying may not be the need to trade.
    I'm concerned that scenario will happen as well but what concerns me more than the OL is Ben. If Ben is injured or just decides to move on what will the Steelers do rely on Landry Jones or Kordell Stewart (Dobbs)? If the Steelers organization chooses to ignore the writing on the wall and not draft a QB, Ben retired in the offseason this team won't win a playoff game for quite some time.

I do see Hernandez as a notch below Nelson, but I think he is a legitimate 1st rounder and one big son of a gun. If we get to 28 and the steelers feel he is the best option I would have no problem with it. I mean, the Nelson scenario is not likely to happen. Like I said earlier, I think the drafting of any 1st round O-lineman is also unlikely, but who really knows.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

TPOP: The 2018 Steelers Big Draft Board

I do see Hernandez as a notch below Nelson, but I think he is a legitimate 1st rounder and one big son of a gun. If we get to 28 and the steelers feel he is the best option I would have no problem with it. I mean, the Nelson scenario is not likely to happen. Like I said earlier, I think the drafting of any 1st round O-lineman is also unlikely, but who really knows.
    That may be true, then we rebuild for a couple/few down years while trying to find our next franchise QB, so when he does get here, he has a team to play with. It would suck worse to have this great team and no QB to lead it to a SB

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

No way do I take OL in the first this draft. If the top 4 ILBs are gone, the top 3 OLBs are gone and somehow the top 3 safeties are also gone at 28, I would desperately try to trade down and get more picks. OL is a "need". But for the 2018 season it is a luxury pick. I see one of the 4 ILBs Smith, Edmunds, LVE, and Evans, or one of the 3 top edge guys in Chubb, Landry, or Carter, or one of the top safety prospects in Fitz, James, Reid, or Bates. I think the rest are luxury picks unless it's Guice, Nelson, or Lamar Jackson.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine, would the Steelers take a guy from UTSA in the first round to be a backup OG for the 2018 season?

No way do I take OL in the first this draft. If the top 4 ILBs are gone, the top 3 OLBs are gone and somehow the top 3 safeties are also gone at 28, I would desperately try to trade down and get more picks. OL is a "need". But for the 2018 season it is a luxury pick. I see one of the 4 ILBs Smith, Edmunds, LVE, and Evans, or one of the 3 top edge guys in Chubb, Landry, or Carter, or one of the top safety prospects in Fitz, James, Reid, or Bates. I think the rest are luxury picks unless it's Guice, Nelson, or Lamar Jackson.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine, would the Steelers take a guy from UTSA in the first round to be a backup OG for the 2018 season?
    Actually I agree with you as far as will they. Just don't agree as of, would I be upset if they do. Thats why I wrote, it is unlikely. The steelers are still a top 4 teem in their mind and mine. If they did take an OL it would be someone that in their mind is an unusually talented star, no matter what school he comes from..

AML

I agree 100% with everything in this post... (I even call them big uglies).

Technically, it would be UTEP...

Technically, it would be UTEP...
    Yep, that's the one.