Thread: Let's talk Running Backs

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Let's talk Running Backs

As we see it today, Bell will be the RB for the 2018 season.

Now, what sense does it make to use your first round pick on a guy that won't even see the field more than a hand full of snaps all season? We have a legitimate shot at an ILB that can become what Watt is but on the inside. OR, a DL to compliment an already stellar group, OR an edge rusher that actually puts QBs on their ass. Why would you select a backup RB, at best, at 28?

Now, think about RBs in the 3rd round and beyond. Bo Scarbrough has a very similar spider graph as AP, and can be gotten in the 3rd by most analysts. Ronald Jones(sub 4.4/40) has become a 2nd-3rd rounder because he needs to add weight. Going by the mocks and sims, Penny could be had in the 5th.

A RB in the 1st does not make sense for this team.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Let's talk Running Backs

A RB in the 1st makes sense if you trade Bell, otherwise it would be a reach.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I say take one in round 1 only if he is clear cut better than any other player at a position of need. If the best RB available at 28 is comparable to say another high position of need, draft that player

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    As we see it today, Bell will be the RB for the 2018 season.

Now, what sense does it make to use your first round pick on a guy that won't even see the field more than a hand full of snaps all season? We have a legitimate shot at an ILB that can become what Watt is but on the inside. OR, a DL to compliment an already stellar group, OR an edge rusher that actually puts QBs on their ass. Why would you select a backup RB, at best, at 28?

Now, think about RBs in the 3rd round and beyond. Bo Scarbrough has a very similar spider graph as AP, and can be gotten in the 3rd by most analysts. Ronald Jones(sub 4.4/40) has become a 2nd-3rd rounder because he needs to add weight. Going by the mocks and sims, Penny could be had in the 5th.

A RB in the 1st does not make sense for this team.
    really like Bo Scarbrough , that said he is not what we are used to in terms of a RB he offers almost nothing in terms of a pass catcher ..... thats fine is you are willing to adapt your approach and go with a 2 back rotation or amend how you do business with your play calling ...

if looking to be able to keep the same sort of approach as we have been using probably the best option rd 3 or later would be Freeman or Walton IMO as both offer you something out of the back field as a receiver and can run the football with good results ....They are not Bell but they are not 17 million dollar pipe dreamers either
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    really like Bo Scarbrough , that said he is not what we are used to in terms of a RB he offers almost nothing in terms of a pass catcher ..... thats fine is you are willing to adapt your approach and go with a 2 back rotation or amend how you do business with your play calling ...

if looking to be able to keep the same sort of approach as we have been using probably the best option rd 3 or later would be Freeman or Walton IMO as both offer you something out of the back field as a receiver and can run the football with good results ....They are not Bell but they are not 17 million dollar pipe dreamers either
    You are the absolute first to mention Royce Freeman as a good fit for the Steelers. I have brought him up a couple times to zero interest. IMO, Freeman is a power back that can also do Bell-like things in the open field and pass game. I'm not sure why he's so under the radar right now. Ronald Jones has the beak away speed we have been missing from the RB position AND likes to truck over DBs. Both very exciting possibilities for the 2nd/3rd round, IMO. Penny is another west coast RB that has gotten very little national exposure other than the Senior Bowl that could be a great fit for the Steelers. I don't know much about Mark Walton(Miami). As far as Scarbrough, I don't know if he just wasn't used in the pass game or if he is lacking as a pass catcher. Not enough info.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Mark Walton might be the best pass protecting back in the draft , really good blocker ... 49 receptions in 15-16 ... 2017 just 7 but Rosier is a complete turd at QB he is deep ball or nothing kind of QB , if pressured he never looks for the outlet receiver he pulls it down and runs EVERY time Rosier is a horrible QB and effected everyone else because of it ... at one point in the Fla st game he was 4-17 ( that should tell you something )

that said Walton was great in 2016 1357 yards from scrimmage in 236 touches and 15 touchdowns run/catch and pass blocking back

check out his 2016 tape ( he was healthy )

balance , footwork, enough speed , nasty stiff arm

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What can anyone tell me about Ito Smith? Small school big stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    What can anyone tell me about Ito Smith? Small school big stats.

can't tell you a whole lot as I have not studied him yet , but I have seen him and he is on my " to do list"

what I do know is he has incredible balance and a explosive jump cut , decent speed and a second gear

I did sneak a peak at a highlight real before replying and plugged in this draft breakdown game of his vs LSU and he was able to produce vs the higher level of competition even with an inferior line in front of him ..

shows good feel and vision , can not say enough about his balance he clearly looks to be down and pops back up and goes for 10 more yards ... amazing

I would not be opposed at giving him a much closer look

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I like Michel, Penny and Chubb. One of the three may be there in the 2nd when we pick. If so, I hope they jump on it.