Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Report: Steelers Continue To Show Interest In QB Mason Rudolph

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Report: Steelers Continue To Show Interest In QB Mason Rudolph

Rudolph rated as a 2nd round guy, Lauletta rated as a 3rd rounder, and Ferguson rated as a 6th/7th round prospect.

Go to the tape and find the glaring differences between the 3. I would rather wait and take a QB in the 5th if we take one at all.

Many expected the Broncos to take a QB at 5 overall. The Broncos since added Keenum which gives them Keenum, Lynch and Kelly. Not sure they take a QB that early now.

Browns, Jets, Bills, Cards, Giants, Chargers, Buccs, and maybe Saints are all still looking to add a QB in the early rounds too. This pushes more position of need players down the draft boards to where we can hopefully get guys we did not expect to fall.

Same opinion on RBs too.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Except Marino was a much more highly touted prospect who dropped way lower than expected. Rudolph is widely considered the 6th best QB in the draft, a 2nd round prospect that will likely be pushed into the third due to increasing demand of the QB position
    I wasn't comparing Rudolph to Marino, just speaking in principle. We don't know who the Steelers scouts have high on their list. Point is they passed on Marino because they thought Bradshaw still had some good years left.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I see that now. Reading comprehension is not easy. Proceed with your exclellent point.
    In your defense... in the past, I have indeed mentioned my fondness for Lauletta.

Since we’ve broached the subject, I would not mind him being drafted by the Steelers. Strong arms are great, but if they aren’t accurate, all you end up with is Jeff George. Whereas, an accurate arm lacking in strength (as long as it’s not Chad Pennington weak) can be Joe Montana.

Lauletta held his own at the Senior Bowl, and, IMO, was the best player at that game.

But, I don’t think that we will take him at 28... and, I’d bet quite a large sum that he’s gone by 60 (especially since the Taperiots will have had THREE opportunities to draft him).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    In your defense... in the past, I have indeed mentioned my fondness for Lauletta.

Since we’ve broached the subject, I would not mind him being drafted by the Steelers. Strong arms are great, but if they aren’t accurate, all you end up with is Jeff George. Whereas, an accurate arm lacking in strength (as long as it’s not Chad Pennington weak) can be Joe Montana.

Lauletta held his own at the Senior Bowl, and, IMO, was the best player at that game.

But, I don’t think that we will take him at 28... and, I’d bet quite a large sum that he’s gone by 60 (especially since the Taperiots will have had THREE opportunities to draft him).
    Another late round option is silver out of Troy. Accurate but not a cannon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Another late round option is silver out of Troy. Accurate but not a cannon.
    This draft is chock full of late-round backups:,

Chase Litton, Marshall
    Riley Ferguson, Memphis
    Kurt Benkert, Virginia
    Nic Shimonek, Texas Tech
    Like Falk, Washington St.
    Quinton Flowers, South Florida
    Kyle Allen, Houston

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Hey easy on Pennington! He was actually OK on arm strength until 2-3 shoulder surgeries did him in. I was a fan of his in college and was hoping that the Steelers would draft him that year. IIRC they took Plax instead.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Hey easy on Pennington! He was actually OK on arm strength until 2-3 shoulder surgeries did him in. I was a fan of his in college and was hoping that the Steelers would draft him that year. IIRC they took Plax instead.
    I was in the end-zone in San Diego when he threw that 50-yard TD to Santana Moss to beat the Chargers (in the 2004 playoffs). #armstrongerthanadvertised

I, too, was hoping that he was going to be a Steeler. I was shocked when they drafted Plax(considering that Plax has blown off a meeting with Cowher).

#huntington

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    remember how PISSED Kiper was when the Steelers didn't draft Pennington ..... I thought his head was going to spontaneously combust and with all that grease in his hair take the whole studio with him
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

I was in the end-zone in San Diego when he threw that 50-yard TD to Santana Moss to beat the Chargers (in the 2004 playoffs). #armstrongerthanadvertised

I, too, was hoping that he was going to be a Steeler. I was shocked when they drafted Plax(considering that Plax has blown off a meeting with Cowher).

#huntington
    Huntington indeed. I'll be headed back to my hometown for a visit next month. First time in 9 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    remember how PISSED Kiper was when the Steelers didn't draft Pennington ..... I thought his head was going to spontaneously combust and with all that grease in his hair take the whole studio with him
    I don't remember that but I really think he would've played well enough that we'd have passed on Ben. So I guess it worked out.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yup, he said something that the Steelers will look back on this and regret not selecting Pennington. I would say the Steelers did OK drafting Burress instead of Pennington. Chad was good, but kind of in a Ken O'Brien sort of way.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If they aren’t drafting a QB in the first two rounds, there’s no need to draft some project in rounds 3 and beyond. It’s a waste of a pick. You have Jones, you have Dobbs...no need to draft another project guy. The next QB drafted, whether this year or next should be the guy that they want to train under Ben for 2-3 years to be ready to take over when Ben leaves. If it’s Rudolph, that’s great, don’t mind him being drafted at all...just not at 28. Trade out of the first round and take him in the early second then and pick up some extra picks. That would be fine...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler