Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
You and I agree on that. I have not advocated for giving away any freedoms. Unless the sale of firearms only through a licensed dealer who keeps records, runs background checks, etc and (like I believe DWins suggested) expanding access to the background check/licensing system - is taken as a removal of freedoms.

I would suggest that maybe there be some additional "regulation" of gun ownership - maybe you have to take a safety class/certification much like when you become licensed to own/operate other potentially dangerous tools. Perhaps that already exists and if it does...apologies for ignorance on my part.

I would also throw out there for debate some idea that we explore the linkage between mental health assessment and gun ownership. Perhaps individuals with specific and limited mental/social issues may have their right to gun ownership restricted by some reasonable degree. If we can agree to restrict the right to vote for certain specific reasons -- why is it unreasonable to consider the same for guns?

Again, how does the conversation have to immediately track over to people having their freedoms taken from them? Who has suggested that?
I wasn't singling you out specifically.

I have a CCW myself, and just to walk into the business's I own I have to pass a background check required by law and everybody who works for me. I don't know how it is everywhere where else but it's a $25 fee to run a background check on people here.

The mental health assessment do we give those to everyone who wants to drive a car or using something deemed to be dangerous in the wrong hands? While I agree something can be done to keep the crazies from buying guns, but if they're going to go on a rampage they will find a way.