Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DINNER: Tomlin & Colbert had dinner with LVE

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: DINNER: Tomlin & Colbert had dinner with LVE

re: Kendall Simmons
    The dude was a good pick, who had the worst luck ever.

As a rookie, he was diagnosed with diabetes. During his second season, he blew out his knee. He was fine in 2005. In 2006, he tore an Achilles... and, during his rehab something went wrong (frostbite).

After all of those injuries, Yes... he went from good to average.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I just think that too many times, fans don't live in reality. Their fanatical interest in the team gives them a much lower opinion of players that don't live up to their draft status. Also, the expectations of that fan is what ultimately shapes their opinion of the player and sometimes the man. When I hear people say that someone isn't playing well because they are lazy or not trying hard enough, I cringe. Things like that are something that is the case in very rare circumstances in the NFL. Most of these young men work their asses off to be the best players they can be. Personal attacks on a player with zero actual knowledge is infuriating and completely unfair. Maybe if more people actually tried to play this game, they would realize how difficult it is to play at a high level instead of sitting behind a keyboard ripping people they don't know in any way, shape, manner, or form.

Let's also not forget that sometimes it's not the players fault. Sometimes a team drafts a guy like Ziggy Hood who was an effective DT in a 4-3 scheme, and plays him out of position because they projected him to be able to make that change. That isn't the player's fault. That is a mistake in scouting and drafting.

Anyone who plays 9 years in the NFL is not a bust. The word bust is thrown around far too casually for my taste.

I agree & disagree with you. Being lazy exists in every occupation under the sun, NFL football is no exception. While most people work hard, there will always be those who think they can get by on natural ability without putting in the extra work regardless of the occupation.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I agree & disagree with you. Being lazy exists in every occupation under the sun, NFL football is no exception. While most people work hard, there will always be those who think they can get by on natural ability without putting in the extra work regardless of the occupation.

You're right....there is. The problem is you are missing on something. While there may be a fairly high percentage of slackers or workers not giving their all at lower levels of employment, at the very highest levels of any profession, there isn't much of that at all. The work that is involved to get to the pinnacle of your profession in the first place usually dictates that good work habits go hand-in-hand with that.

There are always going to be some that aren't grinders. People that rely on their God-given talents and abilities that don't maximize that talent. However, at the highest levels of any profession it is very rare, and most of those that aren't willing to do the work get weeded out quickly.

The problem is, you have fans making accusations when they don't have the slightest idea of what the players preparation or practice habits are like. Unless it is something that is public knowledge because the coach or organization challenges the player publicly, fans literally have no idea what they're talking about when they make accusations. I have a problem with that.

People on this board call Bud Dupree lazy and say that he doesn't try. I haven't heard that said about him from anyone that matters. No coaches, people within the organization, the press.......nobody. Yet yahoos here choose to insult him and make accusations about him. It's idiotic and just plain silly and rude unless you have concrete evidence. Not living up to the expectations of a fan doesn't qualify as concrete evidence.

Just my humble opinion.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You're right....there is. The problem is you are missing on something. While there may be a fairly high percentage of slackers or workers not giving their all at lower levels of employment, at the very highest levels of any profession, there isn't much of that at all. The work that is involved to get to the pinnacle of your profession in the first place usually dictates that good work habits go hand-in-hand with that.

There are always going to be some that aren't grinders. People that rely on their God-given talents and abilities that don't maximize that talent. However, at the highest levels of any profession it is very rare, and most of those that aren't willing to do the work get weeded out quickly.

The problem is, you have fans making accusations when they don't have the slightest idea of what the players preparation or practice habits are like. Unless it is something that is public knowledge because the coach or organization challenges the player publicly, fans literally have no idea what they're talking about when they make accusations. I have a problem with that.

People on this board call Bud Dupree lazy and say that he doesn't try. I haven't heard that said about him from anyone that matters. No coaches, people within the organization, the press.......nobody. Yet yahoos here choose to insult him and make accusations about him. It's idiotic and just plain silly and rude unless you have concrete evidence. Not living up to the expectations of a fan doesn't qualify as concrete evidence.

Just my humble opinion.
    sort of why I hate the term Bust ....

I mean who determines if a player is a bust ?

what qualifies one as such ?

I get the premise that it is a player who fails to achieve the desired outcome on the field of play at the next level ...

ok cool I understand and agree to a degree , BUT ( here comes that BIG little word )

we are then using a set outcome of greatness as the standard for a player that has only been projected to meet any such standard ...

projections are perhaps the most unreliable thing in sports .

there literally is not a tool in the world that can accurately project greatness

we look at tendencies , athletic prowess , size , speed and accomplishments at a lower level of competition as the factors into an equation that fails identify future growth on much more of anything than someone gut feeling

then when that gut feeling of said evaluators is wrong instead of blaming the evaluators we instead label the player ( who clearly spent his entire life trying to be great ) to even be in the position to be looked at by said evaluators

and we call that player a Bust ....

do you think there is anyone on earth that feels worse about not succeeding at the highest level as that player who now instead of getting paid a kings ransom to continue to play the game they love is now instead called a failure by most of the free world who loves the game ...

I could go on and on about it but I think its clear enough now for most to get where I am coming from
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    What’s crazy is that Ziggy Hood worked his tail off in order to improve... like a “James Harrison / AB” level of dedication.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    What’s crazy is that Ziggy Hood worked his tail off in order to improve... like a “James Harrison / AB” level of dedication.

Might that tell us that he hit his max early? I'm not going to say that he was God awful, but he didn't look to me to be getting much better with all his work.

AML

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Might that tell us that he hit his max early? I'm not going to say that he was God awful, but he didn't look to me to be getting much better with all his work.
    Tex, I think he was out of position and scheme and didn't adapt to the 3-4 well. He was dominating at the Senior Bowl week and O linemen and coaches were just raving about him. But, he was a 4-3DT that was used to playing a 1 gap scheme and with his strength, quickness and energy to disrupt plays. The Steelers made him into a 3-4 DE, handle 2 gaps and put on weight to play the position. He filled a need, but just wasn't a stellar 5 tech player, but likely still a 3 technique player. Still, this year will be his 10th in the league.....hardly a bust IMO.