Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Changes Would YOU Introduce for Player Safety?

What Changes Would YOU Introduce for Player Safety?

In the thread concerning rules on using the helmet, I provided evidence from a peer reviewed article that
    Overall, the number of years of exposure, not the number of concussions, was significantly associated with worse tau pathology in CTE. This suggests that it is the chronic and repetitive nature of head trauma, irrespective of concussive symptoms, that is the most important driver of disease
    So, with this piece of information in mind and the fact the league is determined to change the rules "to make the game safe" (read, protect the shield), I wonder, what rules would you make to stop CTE. Please, in this thread, the answer of "none" is not acceptable as the thread is based on the premise that rules will change.

I'll just put the two biggest ones out there I think are most important:

1. Remove helmets and shoulder pads. As others have said, they've been weaponized. Wanna take headshots out of the game? Take away the helmet. It only takes one collision to realize you can't use your head. No penalty called. No ref's judgment. Just remove the helmet.
    2. Remove the five-yard chuck rule. Let WRs and CBs fight it out all the way down the field. In short, slow down the game.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: What Changes Would YOU Introduce for Player Safety?

I would go with smaller and lighter pads and a different helmet. Not taking them away all together would likely preserve some of the violent collision aspect of that game that many know and love while simultaneously providing the players some protection. My idea is that reducing the padding encourages proper form and tackling fundamentals to reduce some sources of head trauma.

Outlaw turf and synthetic blend fields. Natural surfaces slow the game down by a small amount -- but every bit helps.

Get rid of gloves and other "tacky" grip aids. If everyone is relying on their actual hands to hang onto the ball, defenses will be able to force fumbles and disrupt the catch without having to put the crown of the helmet on the ball. Maybe less DB's go in with the head then.

Expand rosters and the game-day active list. Provide teams with more player flexibility and depth in order to discourage abuses of the present head trauma rules and protocols.

This would really change things, but they could widen the field or spread the hash marks out. Tweak some of the contact rules based on what you do there. With same amount of players in a slightly less compressed space, you may lessen the overwhelming violence of some of the hits.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

color changing light weight headgear .... the more impact taken the more the color changes when numbers reach specific point you are done for the day ..

that way the amount of abuse to the head can be monitored and kept within whatever is considered acceptable margins putting no person at greater risk than another .

they have better helmet technology available now and have for several years but it has not been adopted by the league but that is still in line with the same sort of helmets we now know are being used as a weapon

not saying I like this concept but clearly something more than what is currently happening needs to happen ( like it or not )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Uniforms and helmets like in Starship Troopers football. You can still hit people as hard as you want, but makes you think about how you're going to do it if it'll hurt you too.

Also expanding the rosters to, say, 68 players would work, but only if you also had a way to make sure people actually got rotated in and out. That's tricky because if you only have two decent linebackers, you aren't going to want to put in the scrubs. It would probably work best if you focused it on the OL and DL positions.

The players would also hate this; I mean, more players dividing the same pie means there's less money to go around for everyone on average.

And it is possible to measure how many times you get hit in the head, and how hard. They've used helmets with accelerometers to track the wear and tear on college athletes over the course of a season for scientific experiments. No idea why they couldn't do that on the regular.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

First thing I would do is get rid of Monday Night and Thursday Night games. Mondays would be a mandatory recovery day, Tuesdays would be a mandatory training room/doctor/film study day. Thursday Night games are brutal on these players. You can see it in the quality of the game on Thursday.

The rosters should be expanded...been saying this for a long time. No doubt. It wouldn't be the players dividing it so much as the cap would have to increase and more money out of ownership's hands.

There are safer helmets out there like someone said...the reason the NFL doesnt use them is the "new guys" dont have the money to get into the game...lol. Although, there are articles out there that say a newer and safer helmet is supposed to show up this coming season...so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I would go with smaller and lighter pads and a different helmet. Not taking them away all together would likely preserve some of the violent collision aspect of that game that many know and love while simultaneously providing the players some protection. My idea is that reducing the padding encourages proper form and tackling fundamentals to reduce some sources of head trauma.

Outlaw turf and synthetic blend fields. Natural surfaces slow the game down by a small amount -- but every bit helps.

Get rid of gloves and other "tacky" grip aids. If everyone is relying on their actual hands to hang onto the ball, defenses will be able to force fumbles and disrupt the catch without having to put the crown of the helmet on the ball. Maybe less DB's go in with the head then.

Expand rosters and the game-day active list. Provide teams with more player flexibility and depth in order to discourage abuses of the present head trauma rules and protocols.

This would really change things, but they could widen the field or spread the hash marks out. Tweak some of the contact rules based on what you do there. With same amount of players in a slightly less compressed space, you may lessen the overwhelming violence of some of the hits.
    These are all right along with my thinking. All good ideas.

They need to use pads and helmets that are softer so that they aren't used as weapons.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

See, these are some very smart but easy fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwins
    color changing light weight headgear .... the more impact taken the more the color changes when numbers reach specific point you are done for the day ...
    Brilliant idea. Of course, the smart-alec side of me comes along and wonders just how red a red helmet has to be before the player can't play. And, is it the ref's job or the team's job to identify it. Can they use instant replay and color-enhanced video back in New York to monitor it? I'm not poking fun at your idea. It really is brilliant. Rather, I'm poking fun at how the league would completely screw up something so elegant in its simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw
    Another great idea. It'll make everyone play with their head up a little more because the ball would be coming out more, I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreserve
    Also expanding the rosters to, say, 68 players would work, but only if you also had a way to make sure people actually got rotated in and out. That's tricky because if you only have two decent linebackers, you aren't going to want to put in the scrubs. It would probably work best if you focused it on the OL and DL positions.
    I think this is exactly right. More players to draw from means less reps for any one player (possibly). With other changes mentioned here, doing this with the lines would probably help them as much as the other rules help the other positions. In all honestly, I don't know why the NFL doesn't just combine the practice squad and total roster allow them to dress for the games. As for a salary cap, practice squad contracts already count towards the cap (surprised when I read that, but I guess they do). So, the cap just has to get bumped by 3-5 million (depending on veteran status for veterans on practice squad) to accommodate all ten practice squad players now being on the active roster. That can easily be handled. Just freeze cap bumps for the following year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by 86Ward
    First thing I would do is get rid of Monday Night and Thursday Night games. Mondays would be a mandatory recovery day, Tuesdays would be a mandatory training room/doctor/film study day. Thursday Night games are brutal on these players. You can see it in the quality of the game on Thursday.
    Another good idea, but this one I think we can meet half way and still be effective. Monday Night Games aren't as bad as there's only a twenty-four hour difference, so keep them without any change. As for Thursday night games, yeah, that's an issue. We could still keep them, provided they worked out something like this: All Thursday night games must be played by teams coming off a bye week. This way, the team doesn't have a short week to prepare after a game. Bodies have time to heal.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I think this is exactly right. More players to draw from means less reps for any one player (possibly). With other changes mentioned here, doing this with the lines would probably help them as much as the other rules help the other positions. In all honestly, I don't know why the NFL doesn't just combine the practice squad and total roster allow them to dress for the games. As for a salary cap, practice squad contracts already count towards the cap (surprised when I read that, but I guess they do). So, the cap just has to get bumped by 3-5 million (depending on veteran status for veterans on practice squad) to accommodate all ten practice squad players now being on the active roster. That can easily be handled. Just freeze cap bumps for the following year or two.
    The only problem is making it so that the extra players would actually ... you know, play. By nature, the starters are the best players, and you want your best players on the field the most. If I'm the coach, convince me to sit my All-Pro left tackle on the bench for a third of the game while a practice squad guy takes his place.

That's a dumb move if I'm trying to win the game, and by extension keep my job, so I won't do it unless you force me to. Which means adding a rule about it, and you already know how the NFL fucks THAT up. I mean, in theory it's a great idea to spread the punishment around, but I can't think of how it would actually happen.

Additionally, in order to get to the NFL in the first place, you've generally had to play 10-15 years of football as an every-down starter, and go through thousands of practices with various forms of tackling and contact. So I don't know if eliminating a quarter or a third of the in-game snaps you take once you reach the pros actually solves that either.

tl;dr version - I hate my own idea because it's probably just wishful thinking.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Safety suits.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    The only problem is making it so that the extra players would actually ... you know, play. By nature, the starters are the best players, and you want your best players on the field the most. If I'm the coach, convince me to sit my All-Pro left tackle on the bench for a third of the game while a practice squad guy takes his place.

That's a dumb move if I'm trying to win the game, and by extension keep my job, so I won't do it unless you force me to. Which means adding a rule about it, and you already know how the NFL fucks THAT up. I mean, in theory it's a great idea to spread the punishment around, but I can't think of how it would actually happen.

Additionally, in order to get to the NFL in the first place, you've generally had to play 10-15 years of football as an every-down starter, and go through thousands of practices with various forms of tackling and contact. So I don't know if eliminating a quarter or a third of the in-game snaps you take once you reach the pros actually solves that either.

tl;dr version - I hate my own idea because it's probably just wishful thinking.
    Maybe, but it also might cut the other way. Let's say the cap gets raised a bit more and teams can bring in and keep higher talented players at those positions. Now, one team gets the idea that they can platoon their Dline and LBs with pretty good players, rather than have a couple of great players and a bunch of average players. That means good, and fresh players are coming off the bench in the third and fourth quarters to dominate players that are good, but have already played half a game. To keep up the other teams will have to platoon their O line as well in the same way. Now, they have an increased level of talent across the board and put in fresh players throughout a game. That means other defenses have to move in that direction as well.

Even if that doesn't work, I really see no problem in expanding the roster. Either a player makes a team, or he doesn't. Enough of the "Practice squad" crap.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Get rid of Roger Goodell.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

None.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

What Changes Would YOU Introduce for Player Safety?---- Nothing. The sport of football is already getting to be 'sissified' per say. The player's are already loaded down with helmets, pads on shoulder's, thighs, hips and just about every other part of their body. The league is already talking about changing rules that are confusing and now coming up with NEW rules (helmet/helmet) (leading with helmet) etc.,etc., which will add to more video checking, time consuming reviews and ref's calls that will be argued by fans and either one team or both. The ref's are already pathetic and are ruining the game, now the league wants to give these morons the right to eject a player if he thinks the player's 'hit' warrants ejection. Really ? What fun are good tackles going to be now ? Now, not only will Roger Godamnit ruin a Steeler game, but I'm sure we all could name a few ref's who would love to have some of our player's benched or sent to the locker when we are playing the cheater's or certain other teams. We all know there will be a 'call' or 'no call' on the Steeler's game that won't be on another game by other teams. There are enough rules (too many in my opinion) and the equipment is just fine, or just ask the player's what/how they feel. How did they survive the ole' leather helmets LOL !! Football is a contact sport....period. Maybe some of the coaches need to review techniques the way they were taught many year's ago and teach how to tackle....head up/wrap up. Just my opinion. It's already getting hard to watch a football game, whistle blowing after each play, 10 yrd gain a 5 yrd penalty, flag thrown, flag dropped, flag undecided why it was on the ground. Ref's converse: " Did you throw flag, no I didn't, thought you did, what did you see, nothing I was watching a bird, well we have to think of something, go to the cover and look at film they have a list of reasons on the chart we can use, if not just penalize a Steeler for PI. My opinion...do away with Thurs. game.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

That got me thinking. We already have things that can measure force. Why must we develop new tech rather than use tech we already have and adapt it. Stick a force measuring device and a small microchip in the underside surface of the helmet. Then, if the force hits a certain level, it triggers a signal picked up by the team doctors who can then alert the coach and bring him out.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

revert back to 1990 rules, this game is getting too wussified. player safety? The violence of the game is what gives its appeal. This game was meant to be played by men, and the reason why they get paid all that money is because it's a dangerous sport.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

-Reduce the number of preseason games to 3 and possibly to and add a 2nd bye week to allow for player recovery.
    - make backside cut blocking on interior line illegal (no more cut blocking at the back of legs)
    -continue to enforce no hitting with the crown of the helmet. Emphasize what I heard Chris Spielman once say...."eyes up, wrap up".
    -run preseason official education sessions outlining that hitting with crown of helmet will be cause for penalty and 2 such penalties in 3 games will be subject to ejection and suspension.

IMO, the entire move from a time when players tackled with their arms and "wrapped up" ballcarriers, to the era now where players just try and hit the guy as hard as they can in order to make somebody go down and get your hit on Sportcenter is where a lot of poor tackling, increased collisions and concussions came into the game. Helmet to helmet hit will happen, but if a player is trying to actually use his arms to tackle, its most likely going to be front of the helmet and not the top of the helmet.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    -Reduce the number of preseason games to 3 and possibly to and add a 2nd bye week to allow for player recovery.
    - make backside cut blocking on interior line illegal (no more cut blocking at the back of legs)
    -continue to enforce no hitting with the crown of the helmet. Emphasize what I heard Chris Spielman once say...."eyes up, wrap up".
    -run preseason official education sessions outlining that hitting with crown of helmet will be cause for penalty and 2 such penalties in 3 games will be subject to ejection and suspension.

IMO, the entire move from a time when players tackled with their arms and "wrapped up" ballcarriers, to the era now where players just try and hit the guy as hard as they can in order to make somebody go down and get your hit on Sportcenter is where a lot of poor tackling, increased collisions and concussions came into the game. Helmet to helmet hit will happen, but if a player is trying to actually use his arms to tackle, its most likely going to be front of the helmet and not the top of the helmet.
    The next CBA should allow for unpadded practices and training sessions 12 months out of the year. Teams have no time to work with players on fundamentals and techniques. Gotta develop the muscle memory so when you are going all out on Sundays, your "bad" instincts don't take over.

But with so little time spent on fundamentals, these guys kinda just resort to throwing body parts at the ball carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    revert back to 1990 rules, this game is getting too wussified. player safety? The violence of the game is what gives its appeal. This game was meant to be played by men, and the reason why they get paid all that money is because it's a dangerous sport.
    This is a sound and well reasoned argument. In fact, lets go even further. 1990's rules? Pffft. You ever seen how effective a head slap is? Bring that back. How can a receiver catch the ball if he is flat on his ass? Get rid of the Mel Blount rule and let the middle of the field be only for real men. You know what else is a stupid rule? Delay of game on the defense. If the pansy little offensive player can't get up with Concrete Charlie Bednarik sitting on him, then that's just too damn bad. While we are at it, you know what adds a ton of spice to the game? The risk of actual death. So screw it, bring back the flying wedge - on all plays.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Make every player wear the Vicis helmet. It wouldn't be an option. It would be mandatory.

Eliminate 2 games from the regular season schedule in which only 14 games would be played.

Outdoor stadiums could only have real grass fields. Artificial turf would be removed.

Continue to teach players the proper techniques for their positions.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Make every player wear the Vicis helmet. It wouldn't be an option. It would be mandatory.

Eliminate 2 games from the regular season schedule in which only 14 games would be played.

Outdoor stadiums could only have real grass fields. Artificial turf would be removed.

Continue to teach players the proper techniques for their positions.
    Thing about artificial turf, it's never been shown to be a problem, statistically when it comes to injuries. That said, I don't know if anyone has looked at artificial turf in connection to head injuries. Sees to me that most head injuries occur along the line of body on body hits rather than a person hitting the ground.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Thing about artificial turf, it's never been shown to be a problem, statistically when it comes to injuries. That said, I don't know if anyone has looked at artificial turf in connection to head injuries. Sees to me that most head injuries occur along the line of body on body hits rather than a person hitting the ground.
    I agree. Since the advent of Field Turf and the various versions made with a base of rubber pellets beneath the surface, its much more forgiving than the astro turf of the 1980's. I actually think the new artificial turf is as forgiving, if not slightly more than grass. Especially in December when the ground freezes and grass is worn out....artificial turf stays more spongy.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree. Since the advent of Field Turf and the various versions made with a base of rubber pellets beneath the surface, its much more forgiving than the astro turf of the 1980's. I actually think the new artificial turf is as forgiving, if not slightly more than grass. Especially in December when the ground freezes and grass is worn out....artificial turf stays more spongy.
    That's true. Now, the older stuff, short green plastic fibers laid right atop concrete I can see being a problem as you said. But the rubberized turf is a very different animal. Of course, there's the odd case of a player getting the dust in their eyes, but . . . Huh, I wonder if, in 30 years, we're going to see lawsuits about that because they'll learn that it causes cancer or blindness or something.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I suggested it because players have mentioned before that they are increasing the risk of tearing a ligament in their knees while running on this as opposed to natural grass. I do agree that the turf used today is much better than it was before.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That’s not true at all when it comes to
    Injuries...unless you are talking about head injuries only. Artificial turf has always been a problem for knee and ankle injuries and many studies have been done on that comparison of turf to grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That’s not true at all when it comes to
    Injuries...unless you are talking about head injuries only. Artificial turf has always been a problem for knee and ankle injuries and many studies have been done on that comparison of turf to grass.
    Perhaps in the seventies. Today, fieldturf is either equal to, or safer than natural grass.
    A 2010 study looking at collegiate football injuries showed that FieldTurf may actually be safer than natural grass for injuries in general. This study also found no significant difference in knee injuries between surfaces. Another study in 2013 looked at injury rates between grass and artificial turf in female collegiate soccer players. This study actually showed a significantly lower total injury incidence rate and a lower rate of substantial injuries on FieldTurf. This study also showed no significant difference in knee injury rates between the two surfaces.
    Here's a 2016 study abstract saying the same thing:

Frequency oftotal foot/ankle injuries was no different between artificial turf and natural grass, as wells asbetween genders across all surfaces. Natural grass was noted to have a higher frequency of malefoot/ankle injuries than females (χ2df=1=4.55, P=0.03). Field surface type does not have an effecton foot/ankle injury frequency
    In short, third generation field turf (1990s and later) is as safe or safer than natural grass in all categories.

Perhaps in the seventies. Today, fieldturf is either equal to, or safer than natural grass.

Here's a 2016 study abstract saying the same thing:

In short, third generation field turf (1990s and later) is as safe or safer than natural grass in all categories.
    For me the argument wasn't that modern turf causes injury but that modern synthetic fields allow the game to played at a faster speed. I have nothing to quantify this with except that I have heard/read lots of former players and coaches make the comment that artificial fields play noticeably faster. Now is that kinda out-dated BS? Maybe, but if players a slowed down even a fraction, might reduce the violence of the collisions by a small margin. Maybe every little bit helps?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Nerf helmets and Croc cleats.