Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Changes Would YOU Introduce for Player Safety?

Re: What Changes Would YOU Introduce for Player Safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    For me the argument wasn't that modern turf causes injury but that modern synthetic fields allow the game to played at a faster speed. I have nothing to quantify this with except that I have heard/read lots of former players and coaches make the comment that artificial fields play noticeably faster. Now is that kinda out-dated BS? Maybe, but if players a slowed down even a fraction, might reduce the violence of the collisions by a small margin. Maybe every little bit helps?
    I have no factual information for or against that argument, however, I would tend to believe it is true. At least, the older types. I don't know about the 3rd generation turf. The older stuff seemed to have a firmer surface so everyone could move faster. I remember the old Kingdom in Seattle was horrible for baseball because it had the old turf and the ball just moved.

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Re: What Changes Would YOU Introduce for Player Safety?

1. Start looking into a better helmet designed to help with impacts and minimize concussions.

2. Start actually punishing dirty players. Instead of letting it go for multiple transgressions before hitting them with piddly suspensions. Penalize dirty players more severely with an ejection for something blatant, and an immediate suspension. That would help make guys like Burfict clean up their game.

3. Get back to fundamental tackling. No more leading with helmets, no more launching for big hits. Take these guys back to the high school basics. Square them up, wrap them up, and get them on the ground. For the league to be safer, every player needs to get back to tackling fundamentals.

That's my Big 3 ideas to clean up the game and make it safer.

- - - Updated - - -

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.