Thread: Another Munchak Project?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Another Munchak Project?

Steelers, along with the rest of the NFL, showing interest in rugby player turned tackle prospect

Stop me if you’ve heard this before...a player who isn’t known to be an offensive tackle is converted into such with the help of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Yes, that would be the story of Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva who played tight end in college, was converted to defensive tackle and eventually caught on with the Steelers as an offensive tackle — a position he know owns as a full-time starter.

While not quite the same story, the Steelers were on hand to check out Jordan Mailata’s pro day in Tampa, FL last week.

Who is Jordan Mailata? A rugby player who is trying to get a spot on an offseason roster as an offensive tackle.

“Mailata, a 20-year-old of Samoan origin who played professional rugby for the South Sydney Rabbitohs, got the chance to show representatives from all 32 teams how he is faring in his conversion to offensive tackle for the NFL.” According to the NFL’s official website.

“Mailata measured just shy of 6-foot-8 and weighed 346 pounds. His arms measured a massive...

(Continued)

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-prospect-news
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Another Munchak Project?

that might be the trimmest 346 pound guy I have ever seen
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Well, if he wants a snowball's chance in hell to succeed in the NFL as a tackle, signing with the Steelers as an UDFA is the way to go. I am horribly biased, but you won't find a better teacher than Munchak for the OL.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

another guy who has the < hey Mike Munchak look at me> written all over him is LSU KJ Malone ( Utah Jazz great Karl Malones son )

Kid is a mauler with violent hands and has had reps at every spot on the O-Line on his resume what he lacks in game is all teachable stuff could be a great late round puzzle piece for Munch to take into the lab

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Isn't Malone only 300 lbs?

At 6' 8' and 345 lbs, Mailata would make a helluva book end across from Villaneuva.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Isn't Malone only 300 lbs?

At 6' 8' and 345 lbs, Mailata would make a helluva book end across from Villaneuva.

6'4-321 ... probably best suited as a Guard but tackle capable ( think Ramon Foster )

edit .... I am not looking at him as a starter either at least not right away ... just think with his versatility and with solid coaching he could be a player that may not be the best at anything but capable of a lot

we seem to like these the more you can do kind of backups