Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers at Lamar Jackson’s pro day

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Steelers at Lamar Jackson’s pro day

Tomlin, Colbert, & Fitchner all were at Lamar Jackson’s pro day.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...d1qdxwd6jur04m

As I’ve mentioned: Lamar will need three years to develop... and Ben has three years left.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Steelers at Lamar Jackson’s pro day

perhaps highest ceiling of all the QB prospects very electrifying player , that said also needs the most work to complete the deal ... its a big gamble and we would need to change as an offensive team to better utilize his skillet .... I wouldn't Hate the pick but I wouldn't love it either ... to much unknown to much risk for a team that rarely dips its toe in the FA market ... I think whomever drafts Jackson should have a contingency plan ...

if we draft a QB high he better be able to garner a hat on Sundays and Push Jones off the roster ... not sure Jackson is ready /capable to do that at this point in time

but he sure has some skills to drool over but so did Kordell he just never finished developing
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

perhaps the most comprehensive player breakdown as you will find ...

a lot to like about Jackson but as said before a lot to work on as well

http://nfldraftbible.com/lamar-jacks...eve-fairchild/

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I listened to ESPN account of his pro day on xm radio. Impressive athlete, strong arm, they know he is fast. Andre Ware watched him warmup and said he has seen enough. Ware said "I wish I had an arm like that when I played" and "he is the best talent in the draft".

That being said, they also mentioned that he doesn't have an agent and everything runs thru his mother, so a lot of teams are having a difficult time talking to him because of that disconnect. Andre Ware being a former Heisman winner and Jackson a Heisman winner was part of the way ESPN got time to talk to him. That just seems weird to me and the fact that he scored 13 on the Wonderlic shows he isn't a generally bright kid. Now Brett Favre scored poorly on that too and he wasn't that bright either,......... but 3 years to develop, stand off-ish with teams before the draft, not that smart is not a combination that says I want to invest millions in.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I listened to ESPN account of his pro day on xm radio. Impressive athlete, strong arm, they know he is fast. Andre Ware watched him warmup and said he has seen enough. Ware said "I wish I had an arm like that when I played" and "he is the best talent in the draft".

That being said, they also mentioned that he doesn't have an agent and everything runs thru his mother, so a lot of teams are having a difficult time talking to him because of that disconnect. Andre Ware being a former Heisman winner and Jackson a Heisman winner was part of the way ESPN got time to talk to him. That just seems weird to me and the fact that he scored 13 on the Wonderlic shows he isn't a generally bright kid. Now Brett Favre scored poorly on that too and he wasn't that bright either,......... but 3 years to develop, stand off-ish with teams before the draft, not that smart is not a combination that says I want to invest millions in.
    SI.com article on the train wreck that is Jackson's support staff

The biggest takeaway is that the NFL doesn't seem to understand what he's doing in the pre-draft process. He has a contract lawyer but still has no agent. His mom is operating as his manager but teams are having a difficult time getting her or anyone in his camp to return calls. I don't want it to sound like I'm campaigning for agents because I'm not. But this is a process too important for a guy of his caliber to go through without the guidance of someone who's done this before, and it seems like that's lacking here for Jackson.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/30/la...mqb-newsletter

This is fixable - hire Le'Veon Bell

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

That just seems weird to me and the fact that he scored 13 on the Wonderlic shows he isn't a generally bright kid. Now Brett Favre scored poorly on that too and he wasn't that bright either,......... but 3 years to develop, stand off-ish with teams before the draft, not that smart is not a combination that says I want to invest millions in.
    The 13 bothers me. I have some background with the wonderlic and have also taken it several times. In the financial industry we wouldn't even consider someone to work the phones as a collector without a minimum score of 18.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like Jackson skipped the wrong test. He should've run the 40 and skipped the wonderlic.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

Seems like Jackson skipped the wrong test. He should've run the 40 and skipped the wonderlic.

a truth burn there for sure

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Seems like Kordell 2.0. I say pass

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Dan Marino scored a 16 on his and was probably one of the best QB's to play the game. I wouldn't put too much stock on wonderlic scores.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Dwins, thank you for the link. And, as I have averred: Lamar has some skills that you simply cannot teach, and a plethora of skills that he needs to learn. If the Steelers can improve those areas that need correction, they might be able to create the QB that Michael Vick was “supposed” to be.

Lamar’s mom as his agent: WTF!?!

Wonderlic... Josh Dobbs only scored a 29, and Dobbs is arguably the smartest player in the NFL. Lamar’s low score doesn’t mean he’s dumb; heck, he scored about the same as Terry Bradshaw. Oh... right.

other players have acted as their own agents over the years with Mixed results ...

Most recently Richard Sherman

Most Notably perhaps Dante Culpepper

the difference in those two results are monumental and they both already had League experience and have been through and seen the process first hand

as for Jacksons mom this is what I would call uncharted waters and if I were a team I would be concerned she may try and be a female version of Lavar Ball ( perhaps that is unfair ) but team should and probably will worry about just that

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEtt1dvk_pE

Liked this guys breakdown of the QBs last draft. Here is what I kinda take away from it all:

Lamar Jackson is reaching the point that he is being criminally under-rated. He really mostly runs when the play is called for him to run - not his fault that L'ville is mostly some crappy dudes who will never play on Sunday and then an amazing talent like Lamar Jackson.

His accuracy issues are no worse than Allen's. But Allen is the top rated QB by some. In fact, when Jackson has a clean pocket (often hard to do with the quality of L'ville's line!) he is really accurate. Allen tends to miss screen passes.

Jackson has sloppy footwork. Okay. So does Darnold - the consensus #1 overall.

Jackson scored low on the Wonderlic and doesn't have an agent. Alright, maybe he is an idiot. Maybe not. But can he process information quickly enough on the football field? I don't need him to do my taxes or build a spaceship (got Dobbs for that!), I just need him to understand the playbook and identifying the proper WR in under 3 seconds.

Jackson isn't "pro ready" because he played in a gimmicky offense. And Baker Mayfield didn't?

Someone needs to explain to me how Lamar Jackson is significantly different than Watson on the field. Watson plummeted in last year's draft and then exploded in the NFL.

Obviously, the Steelers would need to adjust their offense to help ease Jackson's transition to the NFL. But I mean if he sat for a year or two...?

Additionally, some people are even putting Mason Rudolph ahead of Jackson. Go watch Mason Rudolph when he gets pressure. Tell me you don't see a guy who will fold under a pass rush or a muddled pocket like Palmer or Flacco. Now watch Jackson deal with pressure.

Bottom line, Lamar Jackson after a year to work on his footwork with no pressure to "save a franchise" and then unleash him on the NFL? Whoa, boy. Am I saying that the Steelers should take him? Nope. But I think he will be a better pro than most are projecting.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Part of this is finding out who is the best player for THIS team. Not necessarily the next Marino. Any QB/player that isn't willing to be used how the team thinks he can best help, shouldn't be on the team. Jackson may end up the next Randall Cunningham but if he's not about doing whatever it takes to get that next ring, I really don't want him. That was the biggest disappointment to me about Kordell. I'm better knowing the talent level was over-rated than the player just didn't want to. I don't know this about Lamar Jackson or where his head is on this, but he seems to be making the statement he's going to do things his way or not at all. Great talent, low Wonderlic, questionable business sense. I'm not saying no to the guy, but I am backing away slowly at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEtt1dvk_pE

Liked this guys breakdown of the QBs last draft. Here is what I kinda take away from it all:

Lamar Jackson is reaching the point that he is being criminally under-rated. He really mostly runs when the play is called for him to run - not his fault that L'ville is mostly some crappy dudes who will never play on Sunday and then an amazing talent like Lamar Jackson.

His accuracy issues are no worse than Allen's. But Allen is the top rated QB by some. In fact, when Jackson has a clean pocket (often hard to do with the quality of L'ville's line!) he is really accurate. Allen tends to miss screen passes.

Jackson has sloppy footwork. Okay. So does Darnold - the consensus #1 overall.

Jackson scored low on the Wonderlic and doesn't have an agent. Alright, maybe he is an idiot. Maybe not. But can he process information quickly enough on the football field? I don't need him to do my taxes or build a spaceship (got Dobbs for that!), I just need him to understand the playbook and identifying the proper WR in under 3 seconds.

Jackson isn't "pro ready" because he played in a gimmicky offense. And Baker Mayfield didn't?

Someone needs to explain to me how Lamar Jackson is significantly different than Watson on the field. Watson plummeted in last year's draft and then exploded in the NFL.

Obviously, the Steelers would need to adjust their offense to help ease Jackson's transition to the NFL. But I mean if he sat for a year or two...?

Additionally, some people are even putting Mason Rudolph ahead of Jackson. Go watch Mason Rudolph when he gets pressure. Tell me you don't see a guy who will fold under a pass rush or a muddled pocket like Palmer or Flacco. Now watch Jackson deal with pressure.

Bottom line, Lamar Jackson after a year to work on his footwork with no pressure to "save a franchise" and then unleash him on the NFL? Whoa, boy. Am I saying that the Steelers should take him? Nope. But I think he will be a better pro than most are projecting.
    COMPLETION PERCENTAGE:
    Lamar sits at 59%.
    But... his supporting staff had a 12% drop rate. Let’s assume that we upgrade his receivers to “halfway decent”... that alone would raise his 59% completetion percdntage into the mid-60’s.

And, as you said, when he had time, Lamar was very accurate.

FOOTWORK:
    This can be improved... with two years of coaching. Under duress, he might revert back to being an “arm” thrower, but like Favre & Mahomes, Lamar has the type of arm that allows him to do this.

WONDERLIC:
    Using an SAT analogy... 40 times are to cornerbacks as Wondelic scores are to quarterbacks. (They don’t mean much when it comes to players actually playing football.)

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The 13 bothers me. I have some background with the wonderlic and have also taken it several times. In the financial industry we wouldn't even consider someone to work the phones as a collector without a minimum score of 18.

- - - Updated - - -

I hear ya, but as said here there are a few examples of guys with poor Wonderlic test that turned out to be good QB's. Those of us that have taken a wonderlic know that its a test of general intelligence with the pressure of a time component to it (so very few finish it), so I understand your concerns as somebody that knows what its about. But a guy can be generally stupid, but know a lot about football. But the question becomes if you want your franchise QB to lack intelligence and possibly make poor judgements?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Lamar’s mom as his agent: WTF!?!

Wonderlic... Josh Dobbs only scored a 29, and Dobbs is arguably the smartest player in the NFL. Lamar’s low score doesn’t mean he’s dumb; heck, he scored about the same as Terry Bradshaw. Oh... right.
    Yup, a guy that is a potential top 15 NFL pick should have somebody guiding him that has done it before. A day 2 or later guy...maybe Momma Felicia could work as his agent. Jackson will miss opportunity to meet with some teams because he is being so stand-offish.

Maybe Dobbs didn't handle the time pressures of the Wonderlic well? Maybe he handled the math well, but not some of the deductive reasoning or other types of questions. The first 5 questions of the Wonderlic are a gimme, the next 5 still not that bad (each 5 gets progressively more difficult), so getting a 10 is a gimme IMO. To me most guys that score poorly on a Wonderlic show they haven't gone to class consistently since the 11th grade.

Yup, a guy that is a potential top 15 NFL pick should have somebody guiding him that has done it before. A day 2 or later guy...maybe Momma Felicia could work as his agent. Jackson will miss opportunity to meet with some teams because he is being so stand-offish.

Maybe Dobbs didn't handle the time pressures of the Wonderlic well? Maybe he handled the math well, but not some of the deductive reasoning or other types of questions. The first 5 questions of the Wonderlic are a gimme, the next 5 still not that bad (each 5 gets progressively more difficult), so getting a 10 is a gimme IMO. To me most guys that score poorly on a Wonderlic show they haven't gone to class consistently since the 11th grade.
    MAMA:
    That’s what Wingo & Golic were saying. Lamar has already missed out on at least one interview, because his mother didn’t handle the situation correctly.

WONDERLIC:
    Yep. Maybe time factor affected Dobbs. Or, he’s not good at pattern recognition. Or... this shows how bad NASA has become.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

WONDERLIC:
    Yep. Maybe time factor affected Dobbs. Or, he’s not good at pattern recognition. Or... this shows how bad NASA has become.
    The average score for an Engineer according to this site is 29, http://wonderlictestsample.com/wonderlic-test-scoring/ so Dobbs is within range. Below are some other professions and the average scores as per the site.

Chemist.......31
    Engineer......29
    Programmer..29
    Accountant...28
    Teacher.......28
    Investment Advisor.....27
    Salesman.....25
    Electrician.....23
    Nurse..........23
    Machinist......21
    Security Guard..18
    Welder........17
    Janitor......14

Something tells me the average score for NFL QB is higher than a 13.

The average score for an Engineer according to this site is 29, http://wonderlictestsample.com/wonderlic-test-scoring/ so Dobbs is within range. Below are some other professions and the average scores as per the site.

Chemist.......31
    Engineer......29
    Programmer..29
    Accountant...28
    Teacher.......28
    Investment Advisor.....27
    Salesman.....25
    Electrician.....23
    Nurse..........23
    Machinist......21
    Security Guard..18
    Welder........17
    Janitor......14

Something tells me the average score for NFL QB is higher than a 13.
    you are 100% correct the average would be higher than 13 ....

that said Bradshaw was 16 ... Marino was 15 ...

so pretty good company with " lower than average scores "

its not the be all end all .....

nobody can tell me Joe Theisman or Joe Nameth where very bright either but they did ok ...

If I was looking for a reason to NOT draft Jackson his wonderlic score would be pretty far down my list ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

If I was looking for a reason to NOT draft Jackson his wonderlic score would be pretty far down my list ...
    I agree, but as I posted in this thread earlier:

-stand offish with teams (His mom declining contact/meetings)
    -may take a few years to develop his technique (some saying 3)
    -intelligence scores of the wonderlic very low

are not traits that make me comfortable investing millions of dollars in a player.

I like his talents and like how he improved his base and footwork from a soph to junior, but the latest antics and reports remind me of what was once said of Alonzo Spellman..."skills of a world beater, but mind of an egg beater".

are not traits that make me comfortable investing millions of dollars in a player.

I like his talents and like how he improved his base and footwork from a soph to junior, but the latest antics and reports remind me of what was once said of Alonzo Spellman..."skills of a world beater, but mind of an egg beater".
    fair enough I suppose ...

and likely why he has slid on many draft boards to 2nd round ( that is not saying teams feel that way because they will never tell you )

This reminds me of Dan Marino.

-questions cause him to fall
    -insanely talented
    -low Wonderlic

Could we be getting at “top ten” guy at 28???

And, the fact that Lamar has improved every year tells me that he can (& will) continue to improve. Since we have Ben for another 2-3 seasons, that “time element” is not really a concern for me.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

He is the risk/reward of this draft. What if, he is the next Steve Young? Or the next Russell Wilson? We know his athletic ability. The scary part is his ability to QB an NFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    fair enough I suppose ...

and likely why he has slid on many draft boards to 2nd round ( that is not saying teams feel that way because they will never tell you )
    I heard a draft analyst on XM radio say he could land anywhere from #15 to Cardinals, to the end of round 1, but definitely a round 1 talent. I was on the bandwagon a couple months ago, but the actions of his draft process raise more concerns that I would like to see. I think that he has the potential to be as much of a distraction as Robert Griffin was.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Honestly I don't see what more Lamar brings to the table that we don't already have in Dobbs. Both are very athletic and a project. I think it would be a wasted pick if we drafted him.

I heard a draft analyst on XM radio say he could land anywhere from #15 to Cardinals, to the end of round 1, but definitely a round 1 talent. I was on the bandwagon a couple months ago, but the actions of his draft process raise more concerns that I would like to see. I think that he has the potential to be as much of a distraction as Robert Griffin was.
    I’d bet a month’s salary that Lamar gets drafted in R1... because of the fifth-year option.

That option allows teams to get sn extra “cheap” year from a player, and since QBs are the highest paid players, that fifth-year option is huge. Plus, Lamar will need that extra year to develop (before a team has to decide whether he’s their future).

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

no thanks...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    no thanks...

I mean if we want to just take one thing -- Here is Josh Allen missing a stationary practice target in drills at the Senior Bowl -- https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/jos...owns-nfl-draft

There are many others of Allen overthrowing screen passes, putting it in the dirt at the feet of targets in the flat etc.

THe overall body of work seems to indicate that Jackson has as much raw talent and tools to work with as Mayfield, Rudolph, and Allen. Perhaps more. But he is getting lumped into a second or third tier of guys by many analysts.

Although recent Twitter buzz seems to indicate that this is more of a media creation than what actual NFL teams think.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    no thanks...

in fairness 20 seconds in .... it happens

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Lamar Jackson often makes really bad inaccurate throws, watch the TaxSlayer Bowl where he threw 4 ints against Miss St. I just don't see him succeeding against NFL defensive backs.

we gambled a 4th round pick on Josh Dobbs, I wouldn't want to see us use a 1st round selection on Lamar Jackson when we have so many other needs.