Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Le’Veon Bell Wants Antonio Brown Money; $17 Million Per Season

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Report: Le’Veon Bell Wants Antonio Brown Money; $17 Million Per Season

While the Pittsburgh Steelers may have put contract negotiations with running back Le’Veon Bell on hold until after the 2018 NFL Draft is over, the team is still expected to try to get him signed to a long-term extension prior to this year’s July 16 deadline. For now, however, the two sides seem to be far apart on an average yearly value for the running back, according to Aditi Kinkhabwala of the NFL Network.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03...on-per-season/

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Report: Le’Veon Bell Wants Antonio Brown Money; $17 Million Per Season

and at cbs....

I say time to tell his agent go ahead and seek a trade we are fed up with his nonsense

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...o-brown-makes/
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    and at cbs....

I say time to tell his agent go ahead and seek a trade we are fed up with his nonsense

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...o-brown-makes/
    Once again, seeking a trade is essentially impossible.

Once a player is designated as tagged with the exclusive franchise level, other teams are not allowed to negotiate or even talk with the player or his representatives.

Further, unless someone can tell me different, a player can not be traded until they sign the franchise tender. Bell has not signed and most likely will not sign until after training camp.

The funniest part about all these reports is it just shows how not smart NFL players are and how their agents totally uninterested in correcting them. If Bell is focused on the average annual value and not the length or the guarantees in the contract, well the Steelers could likely con him good if they wanted.

Make it a 5 year deal. Throw a big roster bonus at him, some signing bonus, and then put a bunch of funny money in the thing in years 4 and 5. Boom! Average annual value gets pumped up to some ludicrous target # and Bell never actual sees most of it.

AB's is kinda janky because of the restructure. But that is basically what they did with his contract -- http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...io-brown-6702/

Focusing on APY is such a short sighted dumb move. Guaranteed cash is the ONLY thing that matters in NFL contracts. When will these idiots learn that?

Agents are no help because their percentage rake comes off the top of the computed and projected total value of the deal. So they have no problem with talking their clients into funny money deals.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Agents are no help because their percentage rake comes off the top of the computed and projected total value of the deal. So they have no problem with talking their clients into funny money deals.
    Bell's agent reportedly wanted Bell to accept the Steelers' contract offer last season...

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Not happening

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Bell's agent reportedly wanted Bell to accept the Steelers' contract offer last season...
    THat's right! Forgot about that.

Anyway, I still argue that trading Bell is impossible/improbable and not really worth talking about. Bell is not thinking about the whole thing right. Steelers should actually laugh this all off and put some ludicrous funny money deal on the table with a low guarantee that would allow Bell to crow about his per year take and then the team has an escape hatch after about 3 years and Bell never sees 50% or so of the contract value.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Once again, seeking a trade is essentially impossible.

Once a player is designated as tagged with the exclusive franchise level, other teams are not allowed to negotiate or even talk with the player or his representatives.

Further, unless someone can tell me different, a player can not be traded until they sign the franchise tender. Bell has not signed and most likely will not sign until after training camp.

The funniest part about all these reports is it just shows how not smart NFL players are and how their agents totally uninterested in correcting them. If Bell is focused on the average annual value and not the length or the guarantees in the contract, well the Steelers could likely con him good if they wanted.

Make it a 5 year deal. Throw a big roster bonus at him, some signing bonus, and then put a bunch of funny money in the thing in years 4 and 5. Boom! Average annual value gets pumped up to some ludicrous target # and Bell never actual sees most of it.

AB's is kinda janky because of the restructure. But that is basically what they did with his contract -- http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...io-brown-6702/

Focusing on APY is such a short sighted dumb move. Guaranteed cash is the ONLY thing that matters in NFL contracts. When will these idiots learn that?

the word of the rule says they can not , that said rules are not always followed and there have been instances where it has happened so a precedent is already in place ...

Jarvis Laundry per example .....

I know we see this quite differently and that is fine but at the end of the day I do not want a guy like him on the roster , he will sit out all of camp and suck ass when he returns for 3 or 4 weeks ( 1/4 of the season ) all the while being paid a kings ransom ...no thanks

the word of the rule says they can not , that said rules are not always followed and there have been instances where it has happened so a precedent is already in place ...

Jarvis Laundry per example .....

I know we see this quite differently and that is fine but at the end of the day I do not want a guy like him on the roster , he will sit out all of camp and suck ass when he returns for 3 or 4 weeks ( 1/4 of the season ) all the while being paid a kings ransom ...no thanks
    Landry singed his tender and then was traded a week later. Additionally he was traded for a 4th and a 7th.

Don't mistake my arguments for a definitive statement of opinion. I am simply pointing out that trading Bell is borderline impossible for any return and highly improbable for anything less than pesos on the dollar.

Point being, there is almost no reason to spin fantasy trade scenarios because it simply isn't going to happen. The only real speculation is how the Steelers proceed towards replacing Bell once they believe that contract negotiations have past the point of no return - something the team may already feel has happened.

I think that we all need to take a lesson from Michael Corleone here -- this isn't personal, it is just business. Separate emotional responses from the logic of the situation.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I like Aditi Kikibwala. See seems like a generally nice person. That being said, I personally take what she reports with a grain of salt. If I'm not mistaken, she's been pretty wrong about supposed Steelers inside scoops before. Her report about Leveon would not surprise me in the least if it turned out to be true.

I wonder if that sensitive little bitch Jamison Hensley still stalks this message board. Man, I could sure get under his sissy crybaby skin.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If bell really thinks he's worth $17 million then,

Landry singed his tender and then was traded a week later. Additionally he was traded for a 4th and a 7th.

Don't mistake my arguments for a definitive statement of opinion. I am simply pointing out that trading Bell is borderline impossible for any return and highly improbable for anything less than pesos on the dollar.

Point being, there is almost no reason to spin fantasy trade scenarios because it simply isn't going to happen. The only real speculation is how the Steelers proceed towards replacing Bell once they believe that contract negotiations have past the point of no return - something the team may already feel has happened.

I think that we all need to take a lesson from Michael Corleone here -- this isn't personal, it is just business. Separate emotional responses from the logic of the situation.
    do you honestly believe a team can not say to his players agent , try and find a better deal and let us know .... or a team can not say to a player you have our word we will shop you to a team willing to meet your contract demands but can only do so if you sign the tag ...

I mean the Jarvis Laundry deal was stated the day he signed the tag that a trade is probable .... do you think they had not discussed that prior as incentive to sign ?

forget the return on what they got for Jarvis while a very good player was not the top player at his craft ...

I am in no way saying we get a 1st or 2nd round pick for Bell but if we could get a top 5 in round 3 that is moving up significantly from what we would get via a comp pick a year later ....and you removed a HUGE distraction from the locker room saved a ton of cap space ( that part of can be floated forward easing next years cap or handing out an ext or two ) and draft a kid that wants to be here .....

is it a perfect solution NO..... but with Bell its probably as close to perfect as we are ever going to get , million dollar talent with a 10 cent head

edit just seen this ... is it right ?? I won't pretend to know
    The exclusive tag means that player cannot negotiate with any other teams once the team applies it. The team owns that player’s rights as if they were under any contract so the team can trade them or resend the tag, but the player is stuck. The only choice the player has is whether to sign the contract or not. If they don’t sign it then they must sit out the entire season as they can’t negotiate with other teams until the start of the next football year.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/02/...oe-eric-berry/

do you honestly believe a team can not say to his players agent , try and find a better deal and let us know .... or a team can not say to a player you have our word we will shop you to a team willing to meet your contract demands but can only do so if you sign the tag ...

I mean the Jarvis Laundry deal was stated the day he signed the tag that a trade is probable .... do you think they had not discussed that prior as incentive to sign ?

forget the return on what they got for Jarvis while a very good player was not the top player at his craft ...

I am in no way saying we get a 1st or 2nd round pick for Bell but if we could get a top 5 in round 3 that is moving up significantly from what we would get via a comp pick a year later ....and you removed a HUGE distraction from the locker room saved a ton of cap space ( that part of can be floated forward easing next years cap or handing out an ext or two ) and draft a kid that wants to be here .....

is it a perfect solution NO..... but with Bell its probably as close to perfect as we are ever going to get , million dollar talent with a 10 cent head
    Like I said, I do not see any scenario where all the moving parts for a trade to come together happen. Additionally, the kinda skirting of the letter of the law that sending an agent out to arrange a deal is not really the current Steelers front office's M.O.

Again, this is where I struggle with entire conversation. You seem to be saying that Bell is the top player at his position; therefore worth a greater return than Jarvis Landry. And that someone would give up a top 5 pick in the 3rd round. So that means one of these teams:

Round 3

Pick (overall)
    1 (65). Buffalo Bills from Cleveland Browns
    2 (66). New York Giants
    3 (67). Indianapolis Colts
    4 (68). Houston Texans
    5 (69). New York Giants from Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The only teams that I could see Bell wanting to go to of that grouping is the Giants and the Texans. Giants are likely out because why would they take Bell on while staring down the barrel of the ODB situation? So it is the Texans. Again, I do not see the incentive from the Texans POV? Sure they have the cap space, but why pay the Steelers a draft pick to get their hands on a guy they could just sign in FA in another season.

I mean you are right, stranger NFL things have happened. But unless Colbert and company simply decide to convince Bell to go somewhere to get his $$$ and then take about a bag of used mouthguards back for him...

jump back up and see the edit ( after your quote ) ...

I do not have the time or the interest to research it for validity , maybe you do

jump back up and see the edit ( after your quote ) ...

I do not have the time or the interest to research it for validity , maybe you do
    That would certainly change everything...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    I like Aditi Kikibwala. See seems like a generally nice person. That being said, I personally take what she reports with a grain of salt. If I'm not mistaken, she's been pretty wrong about supposed Steelers inside scoops before. Her report about Leveon would not surprise me in the least if it turned out to be true.

Aditi is about the only NFL reporter that I follow on Twitter because the rest constantly tweet a bunch of shit just to create drama. Aditi tweets things that she has first hand knowledge of and doesn't just try to stir up shit. When was she wrong about something she posted about the Steelers? I don't recall that happening. You also have to allow for the fact that things change so even if the team/player are talking about something specific, they could change their stance the next day.

If Le'Veon is indeed wanting AB money, then he's going to have to get it somewhere else. Personally I think that a HB that does as much as he does should be paid as much as a top WR but that's just not how the NFL currently values RBs.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Aditi is about the only NFL reporter that I follow on Twitter because the rest constantly tweet a bunch of shit just to create drama. Aditi tweets things that she has first hand knowledge of and doesn't just try to stir up shit. When was she wrong about something she posted about the Steelers? I don't recall that happening.
    She stirred up shit that was blatantly wrong in the AFC championship loss to the Pats and had to apologize for it

"I was sitting with Hines Ward ... we were sitting next to each other last night, DeAngelo Williams scores the Steelers first touchdown. Antonio Brown was wide open in the back of the end zone and he pouted. Guys, he pouted! His team just scored a touchdown and he was upset that he was wide open and Roethlisberger didn't go to him. Roethlisberger was then waiting on the sideline, Brown was the last player off the field. Roethlisberger had to talk to him.

"Instead of those minutes next to Todd Haley ... he had to sit and worry about Antonio Brown's ego."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...s-to-patriots/

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    She stirred up shit that was blatantly wrong in the AFC championship loss to the Pats and had to apologize for it

"I was sitting with Hines Ward ... we were sitting next to each other last night, DeAngelo Williams scores the Steelers first touchdown. Antonio Brown was wide open in the back of the end zone and he pouted. Guys, he pouted! His team just scored a touchdown and he was upset that he was wide open and Roethlisberger didn't go to him. Roethlisberger was then waiting on the sideline, Brown was the last player off the field. Roethlisberger had to talk to him.

"Instead of those minutes next to Todd Haley ... he had to sit and worry about Antonio Brown's ego."

That's what I was thinking about. I feel like there was something else...maybe...I'm currently listening to my toddler run around the house with a fart gun. I'm a little distracted at the moment. Lol

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

At least she owned up to it and apologized. That's more than what most would do.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Like I’ve said in other threads...

Bell will NOT sign ANY long-term deal with the Steelers. He will play this season (maybe only 6 games, but he’ll play)... and then he WILL get $20 million/season from someone as a free agent in 2019.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

Le'Veon Bell wants AB money, good luck. I wish we tagged him nonexclusive to allow other teams to bid for him (nobody would).

See, the thing is, if AB was tagged non-exclusive, teams would bite. He's the best at his position and I can see teams giving up 2 1st rounders for him. For Bell? No. He's a product of the system. He's a 'good' running back, but great? No. Great running backs average over 4.0 yards per carry, and can close out games. Bell's success wouldn't be duplicated on another team, try that 'patient' style of running behind a cleveland o-line without Ben / AB / MB / Juju to worry about. He's majorly overrated and not close to being the best RB in the league. He's above average with good blocking / catching skills, but let's be real, he's not making DC's lose sleep with his lack of breakaway speed. It's Ben and AB that gives DC's nightmares, not Bell.

He's already been overpaid last year. I don't know a single skill position player that's been given over $10m/year that doesn't have the threat to break a long gainer. Bell will always get run down, my grandma could run the 40 faster than him

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Le'Veon Bell wants AB money, good luck. I wish we tagged him nonexclusive to allow other teams to bid for him (nobody would).

See, the thing is, if AB was tagged non-exclusive, teams would bite. He's the best at his position and I can see teams giving up 2 1st rounders for him. For Bell? No. He's a product of the system. He's a 'good' running back, but great? No. Great running backs average over 4.0 yards per carry, and can close out games. Bell's success wouldn't be duplicated on another team, try that 'patient' style of running behind a cleveland o-line without Ben / AB / MB / Juju to worry about. He's majorly overrated and not close to being the best RB in the league. He's above average with good blocking / catching skills, but let's be real, he's not making DC's lose sleep with his lack of breakaway speed. It's Ben and AB that gives DC's nightmares, not Bell.

He's already been overpaid last year. I don't know a single skill position player that's been given over $10m/year that doesn't have the threat to break a long gainer. Bell will always get run down, my grandma could run the 40 faster than him
    I get not paying him all the $$$$. But I think you are underselling Bell's talent just a tiny bit. Here is a really cool breakdown of what Bell brings to the table that other RBs simply don't. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...t-the-steelers

And just to show that I'm trying to consider this from all sides - http://www.tampabay.com/data/2018/02...uld-stay-away/ - is a really cool breakdown of Bell's value from another franchise's perspective.

Again, while Bell isn't likely ever going to get what he wants, bending reality to fit a narrative that he really isn't that good or isn't a premium talent at the RB position serves no purpose. It is easily proven false and it doesn't move the discussion past the internet version of angry shouting.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I get not paying him all the $$$$. But I think you are underselling Bell's talent just a tiny bit. Here is a really cool breakdown of what Bell brings to the table that other RBs simply don't. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...t-the-steelers

And just to show that I'm trying to consider this from all sides - http://www.tampabay.com/data/2018/02...uld-stay-away/ - is a really cool breakdown of Bell's value from another franchise's perspective.

Again, while Bell isn't likely ever going to get what he wants, bending reality to fit a narrative that he really isn't that good or isn't a premium talent at the RB position serves no purpose. It is easily proven false and it doesn't move the discussion past the internet version of angry shouting.
    I'm not saying he's a bum, but I don't think this guy instills fear in defenses like say, Jamaal Charles or Terrell Davis in his prime. He's good. A dominant player? No. Even on that link, it says they aren't sure if he's worth that ridiculous price tag.

In any case. Franchise tag him, run him till the wheels fall off and cut ties after this season. Taking a page from Bell himself, hey it's business, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I'm not saying he's a bum, but I don't think this guy instills fear in defenses like say, Jamaal Charles or Terrell Davis in his prime. He's good. A dominant player? No. Even on that link, it says they aren't sure if he's worth that ridiculous price tag.

In any case. Franchise tag him, run him till the wheels fall off and cut ties after this season. Taking a page from Bell himself, hey it's business, right?
    I think Bell does scare the crap out of defensive coordinators. This from the previously linked article:

"In a recent article for The Players' Tribune in which he listed the five toughest players he's ever gone against in practice or on the field, Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier included Bell, writing:
    "Any other running back motions out? As a defense, you're thinking: OK, cool. But you're not hurting us. Most linebackers will just jam the running back at the line and they're done. But you're not jamming [Bell]. [He] can hurt you like any top slot receiver.

"I can't stress enough how much this matters. All week long, we watch film for like three or four hours a day. By the time Sunday rolls around, no matter how creative a team tries to get, you pretty much know the sets. You know what they like to run. But if you can flex out a guy like Le'Veon on the fly? It puts you on the back foot.""

Bell's production is not the only thing that can scare defenses. Like Shazier is saying, Bell's flexibility in roles, the multiple ways he can seriously cause severe mismatches, he just tilts the field towards the offenses favor. Kind of like how the fact that few DBs in the league can run stride for stride with Bryant. Just having him run a "Go" route makes life easier for other players on the offense. Bell is the ultimate Swiss Army knife for an offense. There is almost no gameplan that Bell can't poke at least a few holes in by shifting into the slot, running up the middle, whatever. He will create a mismatch against both base and sub packages. There are so few players that can do that. Simply having the defense responding to the offense and being able to dictate the terms of each play is an enormous value.

The game is far more than who runs the fastest.

All that being said, stick to your top offer, if he doesn't agree just play out the franchise tag and wish him well.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Like I’ve said in other threads...

Bell will NOT sign ANY long-term deal with the Steelers. He will play this season (maybe only 6 games, but he’ll play)... and then he WILL get $20 million/season from someone as a free agent in 2019.

Colbert just needs to find a way to make him miserable.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Colbert just needs to find a way to make him miserable.
    Trade him to Cleveland.

Trade him to Cleveland.

NY wants at least two R1 picks for Beckham, we could trade Bell to the Browns for a R7 comp pick. That should piss him off.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Trade him to Cleveland.

"You are a factory of sadness" is classic

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

He doesn't want $17M, if he's offered that he wants $18M. If he's offered $18M he wants $20M. I really think he thrives on the drama. Big money drama. Big baller. Big rapper. The dude is gone, forget it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I thought the consensus on here was saying Bell wouldn't ask for that much per season?

Tag him. I wouldn't give him any contract over a year unless it's cheap.
    Hater = Realist