Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin to take DERRIUS GUICE out to dinner

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Tomlin to take DERRIUS GUICE out to dinner

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    With addition of Burnett at Safety, I don't know if the need to draft one is really prevalent, but I like Reid if he is there. I still like Darrius Leonard at ILB as the Wesley Woodyard, Telvin Smith comparisons are applied. Still, I think the TE position is lacking for the Steelers, so what if one of Gisecki, Goedart or Andrews is still on the board in the 2nd round?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

by Tim Benz

Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert: What were they thinking when they went to LSU's pro day?

Well, considering running backs coach James Saxon was with them, they were probably thinking about taking Derrius Guice in the draft.

The problem is Guice probably won't be there at pick No. 28. After Saquon Barkley, many people — myself included — think he is the best running back in the draft.

He's 5-foot-10, 224 pounds. In three seasons with the Tigers, Guice had more than 3,300 yards from scrimmage and scored 32 touchdowns.

If some other teams project Georgia products Sony Michel or Nick Chubb as better runners in the pros, Guice might be too tough for the Steelers to pass up if he is there when they select.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/columnist...riots-thinking

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Thanks for letting me know. Shows how bad the world of social media and that anybody with a twitter account can call themselves media. I glanced at the info and it becomes a thought.

I read further that he lost his father at age 7 to a shooting, is known for working with charities in the Baton Rouge area and is a model citizen and teammate. What a character flaw.
    Twitter has become troll central.

Yep. He’s a heck of a kid, considering all he’s been through.
    http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/run-angry/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

One thing is for sure, Guice has a lot more character than Smokey Bell, and despite being younger is probably more mature as well.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

by Jeremy Fowler

That the Steelers are looking for Bell’s replacement in the draft:

This is more significant than some other speculation and is at least partly true.

The Steelers are prepared to protect themselves, since Bell negotiations have proved difficult. The team’s interest in LSU’s Derrius Guice, for example, is genuine. His interview with the team at the combine was described to me as all hands on deck.

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcnorth/po...d-the-steelers

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    [/B]
    I like Gisecki. He seems to be what Green was supposed to be.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I like Gisecki. He seems to be what Green was supposed to be.

He's a physical freak. He is a former basketball player with a huge vertical. He makes the contested catches and can high point the ball above everybody. As an offensive weapon, he is what you're looking for.

Blocking is the unknown with Gesicki. He wasn't asked to do much blocking at Penn State. He would need to convince scouts that he is going to be a willing blocker and will work to improve at the next level. If he can become a competent blocker, he's a homerun.

He'd need to learn to play with different responsibilities in a different offense at the NFL level, but there's no reason to think that he would struggle with that. He seems to be a smart kid.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He's a physical freak. He is a former basketball player with a huge vertical. He makes the contested catches and can high point the ball above everybody. As an offensive weapon, he is what you're looking for.

Blocking is the unknown with Gesicki. He wasn't asked to do much blocking at Penn State. He would need to convince scouts that he is going to be a willing blocker and will work to improve at the next level. If he can become a competent blocker, he's a homerun.

He'd need to learn to play with different responsibilities in a different offense at the NFL level, but there's no reason to think that he would struggle with that. He seems to be a smart kid.
    Agree with all and I'm pretty sure you can add volleyball to that resume... so, body control is one of his biggest assets.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Agree with all and I'm pretty sure you can add volleyball to that resume... so, body control is one of his biggest assets.

You're right. He played volleyball as well.

As a Penn State fan I've seen every game that he's played in his career. If he shows that he can be physical enough at the point of attack, He's a terrific player for a decade in the NFL.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Tomlin to take DERRIUS GUICE out to dinner

As a PSU fan, his blocking was poor. His pass catching and overall game was good but he lacked in that blocking area. He’s not the answer as far as that area goes.

But don’t get me wrong, he’d be a good pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    As a PSU fan, his blocking was poor. His pass catching and overall game was good but he lacked in that blocking area. He’s not the answer as far as that area goes.

I wouldn't say he's the answer either, but to be honest, he really wasn't tasked with too much in the blocking game. Therefore, like Jesse James, he would be more of a pass catching target. Nothing to say he couldn't pick it up. I mean, we've given James years and he still lacks in the area most times. Neither is/was a complete TE coming out of college.

My point to add the other sports was to give some reason for all the "high-point" remarks you see from most analysts. He is tall and has great control of his head and body while in the air because of these other sports... no, probably not Lynn Swann type talents, but plenty more than most at the position.

...and even as another PSU fan, I would hesitate to call him a 1st rounder. Sure, he'd be a nice piece. Just not worthy of a 28th pick for OUR team "at this juncture..."

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    I wouldn't say he's the answer either, but to be honest, he really wasn't tasked with too much in the blocking game. Therefore, like Jesse James, he would be more of a pass catching target. Nothing to say he couldn't pick it up. I mean, we've given James years and he still lacks in the area most times. Neither is/was a complete TE coming out of college.

My point to add the other sports was to give some reason for all the "high-point" remarks you see from most analysts. He is tall and has great control of his head and body while in the air because of these other sports... no, probably not Lynn Swann type talents, but plenty more than most at the position.

...and even as another PSU fan, I would hesitate to call him a 1st rounder. Sure, he'd be a nice piece. Just not worthy of a 28th pick for OUR team "at this juncture..."

He's definitely a guy I would be much more comfortable taking in the second round than the first. Third would be even better.

I don't think he'll be available that late, and I'm not sure the Steelers are really looking at him unless he fell for some reason.

By the way, I don't think you or I are advocating taking Gesicki in the first round.

- - - Updated - - -

We're only talking about Gesicki because the conversation went to TE's. I believe that if the Steelers were going to take a TE early, it would be a guy like Hurst that has a more balanced game. With that said, I don't think they take a TE in the first.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Agree. Definitely not a first round pick IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Sounds a lot like Jimmy Graham. Graham played basketball exclusively until he played football his graduate school year at Miami. Just a very gifted athlete to go from a lifetime of 1 sport to a probowler at another after your 1st year playing. Not saying he's the next Jimmy Graham, just saying he could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Sounds a lot like Jimmy Graham. Graham played basketball exclusively until he played football his graduate school year at Miami. Just a very gifted athlete to go from a lifetime of 1 sport to a probowler at another after your 1st year playing. Not saying he's the next Jimmy Graham, just saying he could be.

Just a little taste:

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Just a little taste:

I'd be ok with this.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I have the same problem with Gesicki and most of this TE class that I had with last year's - they are not TE's they are just really really big WRs. And that is okay, but WR is not this team's problem.

Gisicki's highlight reel looks like a more explosive Jesse James. That's awesome. Gesicki would be a weapon in the red zone and likely more of a YAC threat than the current Steelers TE's.

BUt I don't see evidence that he wouldn't be the same abysmal failure as a blocker (particularly in space where it will be hard for him to move and bend enough to keep leverage) that Jesse James is. James gets blown up or misses a block at least once per game. Often resulting in a negative play for the offense in terms of a sack or a RB being tackled for a loss. While I realize the playcall was really stupid, but on that infamous 4th and 1 in the playoff, guess who didn't block anyone well out at the end of the line to try (and fail) to create a seal for an alley? That's right - the Steelers non-blocking TE!

For a team that wants to run the ball out of 1 back sets and spread out WR formations as often as the Steelers do, you need a TE that can hold up at the point of attack. Gesicki, like Jimmy Graham, is not that guy. I am all for drafting a TE. But just as with the past 2 years, I do not see a TE in this class that screams "Draft me in the first round!". Gisecki looks like a 2nd or 3rd round pick for the Steelers. He will help in the passing game and in the red zone. And offer nothing as a blocker in his rookie year. Remember, TE is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to make an impact. So drafting one in the first round is essentially saying that you are prepared for your primary draft pick to have a limited role on the team until year 2 or maybe 3.

Sorry, Shoes - but I gotta say drafting a TE is not a bad idea, just not in Round 1.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

He could turn out to be an incredible offensive weapon for any team. A mismatch nightmare.

But us drafting him in the first round would be a mistake with what we need to win a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I have the same problem with Gesicki and most of this TE class that I had with last year's - they are not TE's they are just really really big WRs. And that is okay, but WR is not this team's problem.

Gisicki's highlight reel looks like a more explosive Jesse James. That's awesome. Gesicki would be a weapon in the red zone and likely more of a YAC threat than the current Steelers TE's.

BUt I don't see evidence that he wouldn't be the same abysmal failure as a blocker (particularly in space where it will be hard for him to move and bend enough to keep leverage) that Jesse James is. James gets blown up or misses a block at least once per game. Often resulting in a negative play for the offense in terms of a sack or a RB being tackled for a loss. While I realize the playcall was really stupid, but on that infamous 4th and 1 in the playoff, guess who didn't block anyone well out at the end of the line to try (and fail) to create a seal for an alley? That's right - the Steelers non-blocking TE!

For a team that wants to run the ball out of 1 back sets and spread out WR formations as often as the Steelers do, you need a TE that can hold up at the point of attack. Gesicki, like Jimmy Graham, is not that guy. I am all for drafting a TE. But just as with the past 2 years, I do not see a TE in this class that screams "Draft me in the first round!". Gisecki looks like a 2nd or 3rd round pick for the Steelers. He will help in the passing game and in the red zone. And offer nothing as a blocker in his rookie year. Remember, TE is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to make an impact. So drafting one in the first round is essentially saying that you are prepared for your primary draft pick to have a limited role on the team until year 2 or maybe 3.

Sorry, Shoes - but I gotta say drafting a TE is not a bad idea, just not in Round 1.
    I'll shit myself the day we draft a TE in R1

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Broncos just released runningback CJ Anderson.

1,000 yards last season.

Half the mileage of LL Cool Bell.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...-back-problem/
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Broncos just released runningback CJ Anderson.

1,000 yards last season.

Half the mileage of LL Cool Bell.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...-back-problem/
    Might be a clue in there about how excited anyone should be to employ CJ ANderson. Broncos have been attempting to replace or supplement him for 3 seasons now (his prime seasons at that) and have now outright released him. What the article doesn't mention is that Anderson has had some injuries and noticeable stretches of "meh" in his career.

If the Steelers wanted to release L. Bell this season (they don't) there are far worse options but I wouldn't be lining up to make sure no one else beat me to "CJ Anderson as centerpiece of my offense".

CJ Anderson also had some noticeable stretches of “meh” teammates in his career and pretty much a dumpster fire behind center that only the Browns can rival.

I think he’d be a decent back behind the Steelers line and with Ben at QB. Not Bell good, but a better option than Connor or Ridley.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

CJ Anderson also had some noticeable stretches of “meh” teammates in his career and pretty much a dumpster fire behind center that only the Browns can rival.

I think he’d be a decent back behind the Steelers line and with Ben at QB. Not Bell good, but a better option than Connor or Ridley.
    a lot of truth spoken here that is difficult if not impossible to ignore
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Interestingly, Anderson had better ypc with the terrible Broncos offense than Bell had with the Steelers last year.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Interestingly, Anderson had better ypc with the terrible Broncos offense than Bell had with the Steelers last year.
    <---- Bell Apologists please line up to the left

Well sure. But better than a guy who hasn't demonstrated he can consistently run well in the NFL and can not play on passing downs and better than a guy who tends to tear ligaments and muscles getting out of bed in the morning isn't a ringing endorsement.

If the Steelers are going to move on from Bell, I would much rather draft a back in one of the next 2 drafts or throw the dice that Conner figures out how to pass protect than go with CJ Anderson.

I might be totally under rating the guy, but I've never been really all that impressed. I suspect the Broncos near constant efforts to either move on from Anderson or develop a serious committee partner for him points to something about his game/skill-set that NFL teams see as limiting.

Anderson knows that the league's youngest backs are counting on him to reset the market with his next multiyear contract, thus he will now be asking for Antonio Brown type money. C J is determined to elevate the market value of elite NFL running backs, knowing that he's the guy that all the others are looking at like, "Alright C J. you gotta help us out."

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Living in Denver, I have seen a lot of Bronco games, CJ is a solid runner and is difficult to bring down. He gets the hard yards and he can block. I would take him in a heartbeat as a 2 year stop gap for less than 1/3rd the price of Bell, especially if we could pick up a draft pick by trading Bell (yeah I know all that needs to happen with Bell to trade him). I think you are under rating CJ, he was good behind one of the worst OL’s in the game the last couple seasons. The Broncos kept trying to find a Bell like player to replace him and everyone they brought in, he beat out, think about that for a minute when you say he is mediocre.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

"...and psychological probing."