Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin to take DERRIUS GUICE out to dinner

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Tomlin to take DERRIUS GUICE out to dinner

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

3/26: "Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and GM Kevin Colbert are having dinner with LSU running back Derrius Guice around his pro day next week, per source. The Steelers' first-round intrigue in Guice is real." - Jeremy Fowler, ESPN

Taking Guice would be interesting, as it would be a concession that Le'Veon Bell won't be around much longer. Guice, slotted third in our 2018 NFL Draft Running Back Prospect Rankings, seemingly has a range of 20-40, so he would make sense at No. 28. -Walter

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/teamdraft/17-32

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’d have no problem if they took Guice at 28. No problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If it comes to finding a replacement for Bell or Ben I would use the 1st round pick for QB. I don't believe that is what this 1st round pick needs to be about though.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’d have no problem if they took Guice at 28. No problem at all.
    He appears to be a very average RB.
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Tomlin to take DERRIUS GUICE out to dinner

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    When it comes to the draft, there’s no difference in that comment and saying that he appears to be a very good RB. Lol.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Based on what? Why is it that evaluators see him as the 2nd best RB in the class but he's average in your evaluation?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Based on what? Just wondering. I have not spent any time watching Guice and have been reading several reports on him from places I put some stock in. Most of those reports have him pegged as one of the most dynamic runners in the draft class and I have read more than one saying he is a different kind of back, but will have more of an impact on the NFL than his former teammate, Leonard Fournette.

Again, not coming at you -- but would be genuinely interested in more information on how you reached your conclusion.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert on hand for LSU Pro Day

By: Simon A Chester

The college pro day schedule has almost run out of dates for 2018, but there is still one big event left on the calendar. LSU opened its doors to the NFL on Wednesday and the Pittsburgh Steelers had their senior decisions makers on hand to watch the action.

to read rest of article:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...r-lsu-pro-day/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Wonder if they're taking a look at wide receiver, DJ Chark? 6'3", 4.3 forty. Could be a 2nd round option.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Wonder if they're taking a look at wide receiver, DJ Chark? 6'3", 4.3 forty. Could be a 2nd round option.
    "Guice is not the only prospect the Steelers will be paying attention to, with cornerback Donte Jackson, wide receiver D.J. Chark and edge rusher Arden Key just some of the names who should interest them."

"I'm told Seahawks had a close eye on RB Derrius Guice at LSU pro day today." - Eric Edholm, Pro Football Weekly

The Seahawks are drafting 18th overall, so it's not out of the question that they could select Guice at that spot. Given all of their needs, they could trade down into the mid or late 20s and select Guice there. -Walter

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    "Guice is not the only prospect the Steelers will be paying attention to, with cornerback Donte Jackson, wide receiver D.J. Chark and edge rusher Arden Key just some of the names who should interest them."

read somewhere Tomlin was following Arden Key's every movement very closely
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Mayock: Off-field concerns bigger issue for Arden Key than 40

By Chase Goodbread
    College Football 24/7 writer
    Published: April 4, 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...en-key-than-40

I don't think you have watched Guice play very much:

https://www.nfl.com/share/10103061-7...2-4686deced759

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Key’s ceiling is DeMacus Ware.

Key’s floor is Carlton Haselrig.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Key’s ceiling is DeMacus Ware.

Key’s floor is Carlton Haselrig.

he plays Guard too ?

just messin with ya lol
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Based on what? Why is it that evaluators see him as the 2nd best RB in the class but he's average in your evaluation?
    Game footage, recurring injuries, very average burst(hence the low vertical leap score), lackluster SPARQ rating... Also, his upright running style, coupled with injuries, does not equate to a RB who will be available often. He didn't do much at the combine. After his poor vertical leap he opted out of the broad jump. I don't think he did any of the combine drills at his pro day either.

Do you really want to waste a 1st round pick on this guy? After Barkley there is a huge drop-off in this year's RB class. Nothing Guice has shown shouts 1st round material to me. I didn't look at it under a microscope, but his best games seem to be against porous defenses. I have never been a fan of drafting RBs in the first round unless they are something special(Barry Sanders, Tomlinson, Bo Jackson etc...).

Remember when these evaluators said Vince Young was good?

IMO, he is a risky pick for the early rounds. Is he really any different than Toussaint?
    Hater = Realist

Upright running style. Which actually is the only “legal” running style for the NFL in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Upright running style. Which actually is the only “legal” running style for the NFL in 2018.
    True.

Football is disappearing. 2018 could very well be the worst year of football ever.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Game footage, recurring injuries, very average burst(hence the low vertical leap score), lackluster SPARQ rating... Also, his upright running style, coupled with injuries, does not equate to a RB who will be available often. He didn't do much at the combine. After his poor vertical leap he opted out of the broad jump. I don't think he did any of the combine drills at his pro day either.

Do you really want to waste a 1st round pick on this guy? After Barkley there is a huge drop-off in this year's RB class. Nothing Guice has shown shouts 1st round material to me. I didn't look at it under a microscope, but his best games seem to be against porous defenses. I have never been a fan of drafting RBs in the first round unless they are something special(Barry Sanders, Tomlinson, Bo Jackson etc...).

IMO, he is a risky pick for the early rounds. Is he really any different than Toussaint?
    It’s easy to pick apart 98% of all draft picks. They all have negatives. That said, I’d be happy with Penny or Chubb in 2-3.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

A RB in the 1st is a wasted pick, IMO. No rookie is going to start in place of Bell if he's on the team. No chance to start = not worth a 1st round pick.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Really glad you brought all this up. Looked into his SPARQ and other numbers. They are terrible!

I don't know how to embed things here, but follow the link -- Guice does not test well at all. https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/derrius-guice

I had read such glowing things about him, but how do those #'s get explained away?

In contrast, here is L Bell 2.0's testing #'s - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/kerryon-johnson

Derrius Guice*, RB, LSU

Height: 5-10. Weight: 224. Arm: 30.75. Hand: 9.
    40 Time: 4.49.
    Projected Round (2018): 1-2.

4/7/18: At the NFL Scouting Combine, Guice had a good workout with a fast 40 and did well in the field work. Guice averaged 5.3 yards per carry in 2017, totaling 1,251 yards with 11 touchdowns. He had 18 catches for 124 yards and two touchdowns as well. Guice was banged up and missed the Week 5 game against Troy with a knee injury. Late in the regular season, Guice was looking better and seemed to regain some of his speed as he got healthier. Guice is a tough runner with speed, strength, good instincts, and running ability. He could be a good three-down starter in the NFL. Guice has a shot at being a late first-round pick and shouldn't last long if he slips to the second round.

7/17/17: With Leonard Fournette in and out of the lineup with an ankle injury in 2016, Guice took advantage of a larger-than-expected workload to have a breakout sophomore season. He averaged 7.6 yards per carry for 1,387 yards with 15 touchdowns, plus took nine receptions for 106 yards. Guice had some massive games with 252 yards versus Arkansas and 285 yards rushing against Texas A&M. He is a tougher runner with quickness.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018RB.php

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Derrius Guice*, RB, LSU

Height: 5-10. Weight: 224. Arm: 30.75. Hand: 9.
    40 Time: 4.49.
    Projected Round (2018): 1-2.

4/7/18: At the NFL Scouting Combine, Guice had a good workout with a fast 40 and did well in the field work. Guice averaged 5.3 yards per carry in 2017, totaling 1,251 yards with 11 touchdowns. He had 18 catches for 124 yards and two touchdowns as well. Guice was banged up and missed the Week 5 game against Troy with a knee injury. Late in the regular season, Guice was looking better and seemed to regain some of his speed as he got healthier. Guice is a tough runner with speed, strength, good instincts, and running ability. He could be a good three-down starter in the NFL. Guice has a shot at being a late first-round pick and shouldn't last long if he slips to the second round.

7/17/17: With Leonard Fournette in and out of the lineup with an ankle injury in 2016, Guice took advantage of a larger-than-expected workload to have a breakout sophomore season. He averaged 7.6 yards per carry for 1,387 yards with 15 touchdowns, plus took nine receptions for 106 yards. Guice had some massive games with 252 yards versus Arkansas and 285 yards rushing against Texas A&M. He is a tougher runner with quickness.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018RB.php
    Yes, his 40 time was one of the better times at the combine. His field drills looked smooth and he caught the ball effortless and naturally. Thought I read about some character concerns, but I think the kid can play and be productive in the NFL. Sure, his vertical at the combine was 31.5", but do you know who else jumped that same height at the combine?.......LeVeon Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Thought I read about some character concerns,

Derrius Guice was the player whom some “unnamed” team asked if he “liked men.” Once Guice mentioned this, suddenly there were “character” concerns. There are zero character concerns, except for his love for video games. This is all a smear tactic as “punishment” for ratting on that “unnamed” team.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Derrius Guice was the player whom some “unnamed” team asked if he “liked men.” Once Guice mentioned this, suddenly there were “character” concerns. There are zero character concerns, except for his love for video games. This is all a smear tactic as “punishment” for ratting on that “unnamed” team.
    Thanks for letting me know. Shows how bad the world of social media and that anybody with a twitter account can call themselves media. I glanced at the info and it becomes a thought.

I read further that he lost his father at age 7 to a shooting, is known for working with charities in the Baton Rouge area and is a model citizen and teammate. What a character flaw.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Say we do draft Guice in the 1st round, where might that leave us with the 2nd round. Who would be your favorite second day ILB, and Safety?

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Say we do draft Guice in the 1st round, where might that leave us with the 2nd round. Who would be your favorite second day ILB, and Safety?
    With addition of Burnett at Safety, I don't know if the need to draft one is really prevalent, but I like Reid if he is there. I still like Darrius Leonard at ILB as the Wesley Woodyard, Telvin Smith comparisons are applied. Still, I think the TE position is lacking for the Steelers, so what if one of Gisecki, Goedart or Andrews is still on the board in the 2nd round?

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    With addition of Burnett at Safety, I don't know if the need to draft one is really prevalent, but I like Reid if he is there. I still like Darrius Leonard at ILB as the Wesley Woodyard, Telvin Smith comparisons are applied. Still, I think the TE position is lacking for the Steelers, so what if one of Gisecki, Goedart or Andrews is still on the board in the 2nd round?
    I like any of those options as well. And if we are in consensus here, the Steelers will obviously go WR... Then we can all say wtf are they thinking... as per usual.