Thread: James: It is going to bother me forever

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

James: It is going to bother me forever

Jesse James might be able to move forward, but it's a play he won't forget.

The NFL decision makers will meet in Orlando, Florida beginning on Monday at the NFL Owners Meetings, and everyone will be paying attention to potential changes in what has become the league’s hot button topic this year – the catch/no catch rule.

Among those watching closely will be Jesse James, who is hoping the NFL Competition Committee and the owners bring some clarity to what defines a catch.

The Competition Committee has proposed what they believe the language should be for what constitutes a catch, and the proposal will be up for a vote during the meetings. The language reads: control of the ball; getting two feet down or another body part; performing a football move such as a third step, extending for the line-to-gain, or the ability to perform such an act.

According to Al Riveron, Senior Vice President of Officiating, under the new guidelines James' catch against the New England Patriots in Week 15 that was ruled no catch by Riveron, would now be a catch and would have been a touchdown..........

Read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article...f-c75700403262

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: James: It is going to bother me forever

It was a touchdown.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    It was a touchdown.
    In every football league on earth but the NFL.

It changed the playoff seeding of the entire AFC.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

According to Al Riveron, Senior Vice President of Officiating, under the new guidelines James' catch against the New England Patriots in Week 15 that was ruled no catch by Riveron, would now be a catch and would have been a touchdown.
    Considering that the Patriots' offense didn't draw their first penalty of the postseason until the Super Bowl, I kinda doubt that anything would have changed, especially since James' catch was called a TD on the field. It was Tuck Rule Part Deux.

And James shouldn't let it bother him forever as it wasn't exactly a "Jackie Smith moment." James (and the Steelers) simply flat-out got jobbed on a bullshit TD reversal.

Oh well, at least the Eagles won the SB.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I agree it was a TD, but.... was it a TD according to the rules that were in place at the time? I think it was because he made a "football move", plus, the ball crossed the plane. I still don't understand how it wasn't.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

It was the 'cheaters'.....remember ? As long as Marcia Brady is playing football, and as long as there are ref's in the game of football, there will be bullcrap calls against the opponents of the cheater's. Since the cheater's are nothing but 'sissies', soft pansies, and fragile snow flakes.... Roger Goddamnit won't let them lose.

PS....Hey Mr. James, EVERYONE knows that WAS a catch and TD. EVERYONE knows that we WON that game. Don't worry about it anymore. The snowflake cheaters didn't get a ring !

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    It was the 'cheaters'.....remember ? As long as Marcia Brady is playing football, and as long as there are ref's in the game of football, there will be bullcrap calls against the opponents of the cheater's. Since the cheater's are nothing but 'sissies', soft pansies, and fragile snow flakes.... Roger Goddamnit won't let them lose.

PS....Hey Mr. James, EVERYONE knows that WAS a catch and TD. EVERYONE knows that we WON that game. Don't worry about it anymore. The snowflake cheaters didn't get a ring !

I totally agree.

Jesse shouldn't beat himself up over it. His team and Steelers Nation knows what's up.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    In every football league on earth but the NFL.

It changed the playoff seeding of the entire AFC.
    Except against the Pats. Even if he clearly caught it there would have been a flag on a phantom hold.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I agree it was a TD, but.... was it a TD according to the rules that were in place at the time? I think it was because he made a "football move", plus, the ball crossed the plane. I still don't understand how it wasn't.
    No, it wasn't a touchdown according to the rules at the time. He caught the ball while his momentum was carrying him forward and down. He pivoted and dove, but his momentum was still carrying him down. In that case, a "football" move doesn't matter in 2017. It was the correct call but a stupid rule.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Two feet down and a football move should = possession. Surviving the ground imo should only apply if a football move wasn't made yet to establish possession

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Maybe not forever....

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Considering that the Patriots' offense didn't draw their first penalty of the postseason until the Super Bowl, I kinda doubt that anything would have changed, especially since James' catch was called a TD on the field. It was Tuck Rule Part Deux.

And James shouldn't let it bother him forever as it wasn't exactly a "Jackie Smith moment." James (and the Steelers) simply flat-out got jobbed on a bullshit TD reversal.

Oh well, at least the Eagles won the SB.
    Its shocking theat the league let Zach Ertz' TD stand...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Its shocking theat the league let Zach Ertz' TD stand...lol.
    League wanted to make sure Pats was in the SB but after that didn't care who won. Also wanted to try to prove with that call, see we don't favor the Pats to save face.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Two feet down and a football move should = possession. Surviving the ground imo should only apply if a football move wasn't made yet to establish possession
    It was a touchdown.

If it was not called a touchdown and was not reversed then so be it.

However, since it was called a touchdown, there was no way it should have been overturned.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    No, it wasn't a touchdown according to the rules at the time. He caught the ball while his momentum was carrying him forward and down. He pivoted and dove, but his momentum was still carrying him down. In that case, a "football" move doesn't matter in 2017. It was the correct call but a stupid rule.
    IF it was a 'cheater' player in that same situation, it would have been called a TD ! No doubt in my mind. You say it wasn't a TD.....many,many,many say it was. Not going to argue this 'water under bridge' crap, you see rule one way, I say the ball crossed the 'plane' of goal line in HIS hands.....ie TD. Just my opinion of the rule TD, F**K all the inbetween the lines crap, that's all in the eyes of the beholder. IF it was a cheater player it would have been a TD.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

^ I agree. It was a touchdown.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    ^ I agree. It was a touchdown.
    Of course and not that there is anything wrong with that.