Thread: I had no idea this was an issue. Controversial to who exactly?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I had no idea this was an issue. Controversial to who exactly?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cont...203114763.html

I honestly had no idea there was a law preventing kids from walking around by themselves. This is weird.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: I had no idea this was an issue. Controversial to who exactly?

A coworker told me that her son and a couple friends were threatened with arrest for "hanging out" in a public park without a parent. Her son is 14. "Hey MOM, wanna come hang out at the park with me and my 14 year old friends"? When have those words EVER been spoken?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    A coworker told me that her son and a couple friends were threatened with arrest for "hanging out" in a public park without a parent. Her son is 14. "Hey MOM, wanna come hang out at the park with me and my 14 year old friends"? When have those words EVER been spoken?
    When mom is a stepmom named Missy?

Last edited by Craic; 03-24-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Yep. At 14, parents (especially your mom if you're a guy) are typically a source of embarrassment, if anything.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I was out the door at 7:00 am, back for dinner at 5:00 pm, out the door until 9:00 pm almost every day during Summer break. This was when I was still in elementary school. What the hell has happened to this world/country?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I was out the door at 7:00 am, back for dinner at 5:00 pm, out the door until 9:00 pm almost every day during Summer break. This was when I was still in elementary school. What the hell has happened to this world/country?
    Same.

I live in the same neighborhood now, that I grew up in. At 4 pm, the neighborhood is a ghost town now - even in summertime.

It's a different world now.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

I think the main concern is the kid getting napped. I have a 5 year old and a 12 year old, I wouldn't let them walk to the park alone for fear of the whole human trafficking thing going on these days.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    I think the main concern is the kid getting napped. I have a 5 year old and a 12 year old, I wouldn't let them walk to the park alone for fear of the whole human trafficking thing going on these days.
    There's definitely reasons to be weary. However, I think making a law that bans highschool kids from walking down the street to their friend's house in broad daylight without parental supervision is a little much.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    I want to be clear that I’m not telling anyone how to raise up their kids but the stats are opposite of how we all feel. Crimes against kids are down.but we all feel they are up. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I want to be clear that I’m not telling anyone how to raise up their kids but the stats are opposite of how we all feel. Crimes against kids are down.but we all feel they are up. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the issue, however, is that we're more aware of it now than ever before. On top of that, I wonder which stats are opposite? I'm not saying you're wrong. I just wonder if things like familial abductions are down since it's much easier to trace accounts and credit cards now as compared to even a few years ago.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    yep from like age 7 on ... we had a 5000 acre old limestone quarry and woods to roam about fish , hike , ride dirt bikes etc in ..... nobody got concerned unless you missed dinner
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    yep from like age 7 on ... we had a 5000 acre old limestone quarry and woods to roam about fish , hike , ride dirt bikes etc in ..... nobody got concerned unless you missed dinner
    Same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler