View Poll Results: With the #2 overall pick, the GIANTS select...

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

5 38.46%
  • Sam Darnold, QB, USC

2 15.38%
  • Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

0 0%
  • Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

0 0%
  • Quenton Nelson, LG, Notre Dame

2 15.38%
  • Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

0 0%
  • Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

0 0%
  • TRADE with Bills

4 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With the #2 overall pick, the GIANTS select...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

With the #2 overall pick, the GIANTS select...

It is time for the annual Steelers Universe mock draft. Each pick will go up for a vote (and discussion). After24 hours, the player with the most votes becomes the pick. The Browns selected Saquon Barkley over Sam Darnold (10 votes to 9 votes). And now...

The New York Giants are on the clock...

1. CLEV: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn St.
    2. NYG:

Mods, in the past, you’ve allowed us to keep the poll n the man forum for one day, that way we get as many votes as possible. Then, once the vote has been concluded, the thread usually gets moved to the draft section.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: With the #2 overall pick, the GIANTS select...

Normally, we do NOT allow trades in our mocks; it becomes a slippery slip. But, since Day 1, the Bills have been overt and adamant about targeting Josh Rosen. The Bills have stated all along that they WILL use their two R1 picks in order to acquire Rosen. They’ve already jumped up to 12, and are very willing to trade away a lot in order to get Rosen.

With that said, the Giants could very easily draft the heir apparent to Eli Manning. Darnold has the most talent, but also needs the most time to develop; so, drafting him and allowing him to learn behind Eli for two seasons (a la Aaron Rodgers) makes a ton of sense.

But, the buzz out there is that the Giants want to push hard for one more ring while Eli is at the helm (sound familiar?)... which would mean Chubb, Fitzpatrick, or Nelson make sense.

The Giants won two Lombardis by having a deep rotation at DE. Ergo... Chubb.

DRC is gone, and Apple is a question mark. Hence... Fitzpatrick.

They need to protect their QB. Thus... Nelson.

Speaking of protectng their QB, they cooould trade down to 12, acquire the top-rates OT (McGlinchey) AND also get a rock-solid player at 21 (maybe even a QB). They have the 34th pick... which is the area of the draft where QBs like Derek Carr were drafted (i.e. Kyle Lauletta).

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think Rosen ends up in pick 2 regardless. I do think though that the bills will trade up

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Rosen

Bump

(We need more votes.)

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I think they trade out of the position and stock pile for the future.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You guys are having a ton of fun with this and some of the ideas/scenarios are great -- but y'all are overthinking this.

Sam Darnold is the best QB in the draft class. Overall, it is a strong QB draft class. This isn't one of those years where the best QB is EJ Manuel of something. He is going off the board in the first two picks.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Imma say Nelson... since Barkley went #1

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Sam Darnold is the best QB in the draft class.
    In the long run, Darnold has the potential to be better. But, right now, it’s Rosen.

And, as much as the Giants “should” draft Eli’s replacement, there is a ton of speculation out there that they won’t draft a QB.

(8 more hours. We need more votes.)

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    In the long run, Darnold has the potential to be better. But, right now, it’s Rosen.

And, as much as the Giants “should” draft Eli’s replacement, there is a ton of speculation out there that they won’t draft a QB.

(8 more hours. We need more votes.)
    They would have to be idiots not to take a QB. Their franchise guy is beyond on his last leg, and they have a "natural" #2 pick. Any other year they'll have to use at least two first-rounders to make a pay-through-the-nose trade. So they save themselves a first-round pick by doing it this year.

Like, I don't understand their logic. "We want to win with Eli." Well, you were almost the worst team in the league, you aren't winning shit with Eli. It's not like they're just a couple of pieces away.

On the other hand, based on past statistical trends, any team is unlikely to finish with that bad of a record two years in a row - so what likely happens is that whatever they get for their high pick this year makes them just good enough to pick in the high single digits or the teens somewhere for the next couple years, so they still need a QB but now they can't get one. Then they end up trading whatever they got for the #2 pick right back to someone, plus maybe more, and the net effect is you wasted the last couple years dicking around with no QB and then had to mortgage the next couple as well to get a QB. When you should've just used your damn draft pick. A real plan to lock yourself into mediocrity for half a decade.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I could understand Cleveland not taking a QB at no. 1 because they have the 4th pick and the best prospects are not considered QBs anyway, but with one high pick for the Giants, they are better off just going with the QB unless the get a nice package from another team for the 2nd pick (likely Bills)

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    They would have to be idiots not to take a QB. Their franchise guy is beyond on his last leg, and they have a "natural" #2 pick. Any other year they'll have to use at least two first-rounders to make a pay-through-the-nose trade. So they save themselves a first-round pick by doing it this year.

Like, I don't understand their logic. "We want to win with Eli." Well, you were almost the worst team in the league, you aren't winning shit with Eli. It's not like they're just a couple of pieces away.

On the other hand, based on past statistical trends, any team is unlikely to finish with that bad of a record two years in a row - so what likely happens is that whatever they get for their high pick this year makes them just good enough to pick in the high single digits or the teens somewhere for the next couple years, so they still need a QB but now they can't get one. Then they end up trading whatever they got for the #2 pick right back to someone, plus maybe more, and the net effect is you wasted the last couple years dicking around with no QB and then had to mortgage the next couple as well to get a QB. When you should've just used your damn draft pick. A real plan to lock yourself into mediocrity for half a decade.
    For a team like the Giants, who rarely draft in the top 5, it is indeed illogical for them to not draft a QB (it has been 14 years since they drafted this high)... unless they feel that the drop off between Darnold, Rosen, et al and the next tier of QBs isn’t that significant.

Regardless, the results are in... and the pick is:

Josh Rosen

The new poll will be up shortly. Mods, feel free to move this thread to the draft section.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Report that the Giants just traded JPP to the Bucs with a couple draft picks involved.

Speculation that Chubb will be this pick...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-to-buccaneers

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Report that the Giants just traded JPP to the Bucs with a couple draft picks involved.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-to-buccaneers
    And... Chubb received no votes.

Sounds like we need to start this entire draft poll process over.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If I’m the Giants, after today, I call the Jets and try to drop down one spot for a first round swap and try to gain a third round pick (outside chance of multiple or a 2nd) and then select Chubb at 3. If they don’t swindle the Jets into moving up, it’s a minor blunder on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

"As for the Giants, if they thought Pierre-Paul didn't fit well into their new 3-4, this trade makes a ton of sense. In fact, I'd say they won the deal. Obtaining the 69th-overall selection is a nice move for a team trying to rebuild. They're also getting rid of a bad contract - it gets ugly after 2018, as Pierre-Paul will eat up $27 million over two seasons - and they can take a younger edge rusher in the opening round as a replacement. The low-hanging fruit is to project Bradley Chubb to them at No. 2 overall, but it's likely that New York trades out of the spot. It's possible the Giants and Broncos could swap, and that Chubb is the fifth-overall choice. What I have happening in my 2018 NFL Mock Draft is the Giants trading down to No. 12 and selecting Marcus Davenport to replace Pierre-Paul."

http://walterfootball.com/nfltrades.php

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post

Potential No. 2 pick? Giants to host Bradley Chubb

By Kevin Patra
    Around the NFL writer
    Published: March 22, 2018

The New York Giants have a newfound hole at pass rusher following the trade of Jason Pierre-Paul. Big Blue is doing its due diligence on a potential draft replacement.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports the Giants have already held a private workout with North Carolina State defensive end Bradley Chubb and he will visit the team facility in the coming weeks.

Chubb has been consistently slated as a top-six pick by draft analysts throughout the process. He's now a hot candidate potentially to go at No. 2 to the Giants.

At 6-foot-4, 269 pounds, Chubb has the size, strength and speed to become a dominant pass rusher in the NFL. Some question his ability to play in the Giants' 3-4 scheme under new defensive coordinator James Bettcher, but NFL Network Draft Analyst Daniel Jeremiah noted he did stand up at times for the Wolfpack in college.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-bradley-chubb

Sam Darnold is the best QB in the draft class.
    "Sam Darnold is the only quarterback the Giants would take unless David Gettleman disregards his scouts (which I guess is possible)." - Jordan Raanan, ESPN

Many mock drafts have the Giants taking a quarterback, but that apparently is not going to happen, unless the Browns pass on Darnold. It never made much sense for New York to target a quarterback after Pat Shurmur told the media that Eli Manning could play for a couple of seasons. I have the Giants trading down in my 2018 NFL Mock Draft. -Walter

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

With the #2 overall pick, the GIANTS select... the guy who the Browns should've taken.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Back to back punters selected 1st and 2nd overall for the first time in draft history.

"I think Saquon Barkley will be the guy for the Giants if they stay at 2." - Mike Mayock, NFL Network

Mayock is the latest to speculate that the Giants will eschew all the quarterbacks and opt for the top running back in the class with the second-overall selection. Mayock also said that if the Giants trade down, it won't be past No. 6, so if the Bills want to move into the second spot, they'll have to make two deals. -Walter

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors

I will say this, the Giants are making a mistake if they stay put at 2 and don't draft a QB. Eli seems to be past his prime and has very little time left. While they have the second pick without trading up a bunch of picks, they should definitely take the opportunity to grab a franchise guy. If they are not interested in one of the QBs, they should trade down and get a nice haul

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Giants did take Davis Webb last draft. They may not be looking QB at 2. With Manning, OBJ, Shepard, Engram, and add Barkley. This becomes a very prolific offense now. Of course they also took Gallman in last year's draft. They have Flowers and picked up Solder for OTs, and Ethan Cooper and Brett Jones at OG and OC. Maybe finish out the OL with Nelson is on the table? What about adding Fitz or James to that secondary? Apple, Jenkins, Collins, Fitz/James = HolyShit! Other options at 2 could be Chubb, Edmunds, Davenport, or Smith.

I'm going with Minkah Fitzpatrick here. He is probably the final piece for a very dominant defensive secondary. The Giants need to be able to stop the Eagles.

Minkah Fitzpatrick goes to the Giants at #2.

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

I got Josh Rosen to the Giants at #2. Can't see them passing on a QB. I think the Brownies are going to select Darnold 1st overall despite all the Allen rumors. Rosen is the other QB in this draft that I feel is the most polished and pro-ready. It would be very beneficial for him to have a season or two to learn from Eli Manning.

Alternate choice: Josh Allen - If the Giants are intrigued with Allen's intangibles, and high ceiling they could surprise people and take Allen since they have one of the best veteran QBs in the game for Allen to learn from. I think this is the best situation Allen could be put into.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The Giants will screw this up and take Barkley. Then in 2 years they will be picking at the top of the draft again because Manning has a fork in his back and Davis Webb is garbage. Then two years after that they will be picking a RB again because 4 years of playing on terrible teams will have completely burned up Barkley.

Go Big Blue!

The Giants will screw this up and take Barkley. Then in 2 years they will be picking at the top of the draft again because Manning has a fork in his back and Davis Webb is garbage. Then two years after that they will be picking a RB again because 4 years of playing on terrible teams will have completely burned up Barkley.

Go Big Blue!
    Having a sour Monday? I don't know how anyone knows anything about Webb at this point. You may be right, I wasn't high on him at all in the draft. I do not think Eli is done though. Last season he lost his entire WR corps in the first 3 weeks or something. I think Gallman was to be a short yardage/GL type RB but has shown he is a weapon in the pass game as well. I think Eli with his full arsenal and time in the pocket will make some noise this season. As for the Barkley pick, agreed it would be a mistake. I see them taking one of the premier safeties to pair with Collins. Who just had a second surgery on that arm BTW. I think safety here makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Having a sour Monday? I don't know how anyone knows anything about Webb at this point. You may be right, I wasn't high on him at all in the draft. I do not think Eli is done though. Last season he lost his entire WR corps in the first 3 weeks or something. I think Gallman was to be a short yardage/GL type RB but has shown he is a weapon in the pass game as well. I think Eli with his full arsenal and time in the pocket will make some noise this season. As for the Barkley pick, agreed it would be a mistake. I see them taking one of the premier safeties to pair with Collins. Who just had a second surgery on that arm BTW. I think safety here makes more sense.
    Super sour Monday, but I kinda think that the NYG's get a pass on so many things because their team is always over-rated because they are in the New York market and have a few "name" guys.

Eli lost his weapons, sure, but he has spent the last few years missing high, looking like he has lost a few ticks of the fastball, and generally looking average except when he can throw to OBJ. Bottom line, he looks old when he plays and I have always thought that if his name was "Smith" instead of "Manning" that he wouldn't be given as much leeway as he typically is. Same # of yards as Ben on 1000 more throws? Only 10 more TDs than Ben and 50-60 more INTS? Noticeably lower completion percentage. Etc. Oh, yeah he is only 8 games over 500 in his career. Ben is 72. Rivers is 20.

If we are intended to buy the fact that the NYG's are a premier franchise that will not be picking this high again - -well than you take the QB. Especially if Cleveland takes Allen #1. I find it hard to believe that no one is talking rebuild or reload with this team, but still living the fantasy that one more piece and better coaching puts this team in the SB conversation. They have to get past the Eagles in their own division and the harder of the two conferences.

I mean, fine - let them do whatever they want. Trot Eli out there for 3 more years. I hope that the Bengals and Ravens keep running Flacco and Dalton out there too.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I really think the Browns should take Barkley at one. It’s a no brainer IMO. He will help that team now and really, what’s the difference between Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen and Allen. Right now, those guys are so close that all it could come down to is team and situation. Which ever QB lands in the right situation with the right team, that’s the guy that’s going to be the better QB. Barkley’s measureables are off the charts. Not the same could be said about any of those QBs...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I really think the Browns should take Barkley at one. It’s a no brainer IMO. He will help that team now and really, what’s the difference between Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen and Allen. Right now, those guys are so close that all it could come down to is team and situation. Which ever QB lands in the right situation with the right team, that’s the guy that’s going to be the better QB. Barkley’s measureables are off the charts. Not the same could be said about any of those QBs...
    There were significant questions about Rivers, Eli, and Ben in 2004. There are questions about every QB prospect not named John Elway, Peyton Manning, or Andrew Luck almost every year.

In what 20/20 hindsight "redraft" of 2004 does that not go QB 1-3?

The Vikings wasted AP's entire prime trying to make it work with "not a franchise QB" and an off the charts RB. They had some good teams, but no parades. The Jags looked locked into a similar path with Fournette. The Titans tried it with Chris Johnson. Steven Jackson toiled away on bad teams for years. The list goes on. But I can not think of a team that "nailed it" with a first overall QB and was like "Man...we should've taken the back!"

Now of course, you screw it up - either pick the wrong guy or break him during development -- well then it is very different conversation. That's what is so comical about all this. Hugh Jackson, Todd Haley, and John Dorsey are not on most people's list of who you want developing a QB. Sure Dorsey had a hand in selecting Aaron Rodgers, but Rodgers was developed by a far better brain trust than Hugh and Haley.

Hugh can't seem decide on a QB (aside from his obsession with AJ McCarron) and Haley is far far better suited temperamentally to working with a veteran player.

I mean the Browns are gonna screw this up either way - it is the Browns. They made the outgoing GM the "fall guy" for the Kizer debacle, but the majority of the coaches and scouts who signed off on that plan are still around. Hugh Jackson is supposed to be a QB Whisperer and Kizer had as ugly of a rookie year as you will ever see. Watch GB take this kid and in two years have him ready to rock.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

There were significant questions about Rivers, Eli, and Ben in 2004. There are questions about every QB prospect not named John Elway, Peyton Manning, or Andrew Luck almost every year.

In what 20/20 hindsight "redraft" of 2004 does that not go QB 1-3?

The Vikings wasted AP's entire prime trying to make it work with "not a franchise QB" and an off the charts RB. They had some good teams, but no parades. The Jags looked locked into a similar path with Fournette. The Titans tried it with Chris Johnson. Steven Jackson toiled away on bad teams for years. The list goes on. But I can not think of a team that "nailed it" with a first overall QB and was like "Man...we should've taken the back!"

Now of course, you screw it up - either pick the wrong guy or break him during development -- well then it is very different conversation. That's what is so comical about all this. Hugh Jackson, Todd Haley, and John Dorsey are not on most people's list of who you want developing a QB. Sure Dorsey had a hand in selecting Aaron Rodgers, but Rodgers was developed by a far better brain trust than Hugh and Haley.

Hugh can't seem decide on a QB (aside from his obsession with AJ McCarron) and Haley is far far better suited temperamentally to working with a veteran player.

I mean the Browns are gonna screw this up either way - it is the Browns. They made the outgoing GM the "fall guy" for the Kizer debacle, but the majority of the coaches and scouts who signed off on that plan are still around. Hugh Jackson is supposed to be a QB Whisperer and Kizer had as ugly of a rookie year as you will ever see. Watch GB take this kid and in two years have him ready to rock.

The NFL will soon announce that there will be no cap hit on drafted quarterbacks in Cleveland until they win more than 8 games in a season.