Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
There were significant questions about Rivers, Eli, and Ben in 2004. There are questions about every QB prospect not named John Elway, Peyton Manning, or Andrew Luck almost every year.

In what 20/20 hindsight "redraft" of 2004 does that not go QB 1-3?

The Vikings wasted AP's entire prime trying to make it work with "not a franchise QB" and an off the charts RB. They had some good teams, but no parades. The Jags looked locked into a similar path with Fournette. The Titans tried it with Chris Johnson. Steven Jackson toiled away on bad teams for years. The list goes on. But I can not think of a team that "nailed it" with a first overall QB and was like "Man...we should've taken the back!"

Now of course, you screw it up - either pick the wrong guy or break him during development -- well then it is very different conversation. That's what is so comical about all this. Hugh Jackson, Todd Haley, and John Dorsey are not on most people's list of who you want developing a QB. Sure Dorsey had a hand in selecting Aaron Rodgers, but Rodgers was developed by a far better brain trust than Hugh and Haley.

Hugh can't seem decide on a QB (aside from his obsession with AJ McCarron) and Haley is far far better suited temperamentally to working with a veteran player.

I mean the Browns are gonna screw this up either way - it is the Browns. They made the outgoing GM the "fall guy" for the Kizer debacle, but the majority of the coaches and scouts who signed off on that plan are still around. Hugh Jackson is supposed to be a QB Whisperer and Kizer had as ugly of a rookie year as you will ever see. Watch GB take this kid and in two years have him ready to rock.
Point is the Browns can get a pretty much guaranteed thing in Barkley and get the QB in Round 4...odds that he succeeds in Cleveland pretty much being the same as if they took 1 of 4 in Round One. But like you said, it’s Cleveland and they’d be pretty lucky to have one of the two picks succeed in one way or another.

I’d like to see Barkley go to the Giants. Being a PSU fan, I don’t want to see him suffer in Cleveland...lol. I was hoping for the Colts, but when they traded out, pretty much did Barkley in...