Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers to sign former Packers safety Morgan Burnett

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Steelers to sign former Packers safety Morgan Burnett

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...value-and-role

Decent overview of Burnett.

Does anyone have anything that says this is happening besides just repeats of ONE tweet by some random dude?

I mean before we all hyperventilate and start dreaming up draft day scenarios -- lets confirm Burnett is signing...

Also, what other move is being made to free up the 6-10 million dollars it is going to take to get this done?

I'm starting to talk myself into this being purely internet speculation. Heck, half the coaching staff isn't even in Pittsburgh today!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

3 years, 14.5 million, cheaper than Mitchell.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03...-14-5-million/

What?! That can not possibly be correct. Burnett is signing for less money than he was making last season? http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay...-burnett-6579/

At this rate, Mike Mitchell is going to have to pay someone to have him play in 2018.

Also, how can you pay Burnett $4.5 million and Wilcox $3.8 million? No way Wilcox stays at that cap #.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...value-and-role

Decent overview of Burnett.

Does anyone have anything that says this is happening besides just repeats of ONE tweet by some random dude?

I mean before we all hyperventilate and start dreaming up draft day scenarios -- lets confirm Burnett is signing...

Also, what other move is being made to free up the 6-10 million dollars it is going to take to get this done?

I'm starting to talk myself into this being purely internet speculation. Heck, half the coaching staff isn't even in Pittsburgh today!
    http://www.steelers.com/news/transac...4-56093cee9dfc

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

The Steelers could be drafting an OLB in the first round.
    Hater = Realist

Honestly, I am absolutely stunned. Burnett was asking for over $8 million per as recently as the combine according to Packers reports in the Wisco area. And most observers were convinced that he would easily obtain that on the open market.

Now he is a Steeler for half of that? Incredible.

How do the Rams feel about that $11+ million tag on Joyner now?

So far the story of the 2018 Free Agency cycle is the ludicrous WR values and the total cratering of the safety market.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Honestly, I am absolutely stunned. Burnett was asking for over $8 million per as recently as the combine according to Packers reports in the Wisco area. And most observers were convinced that he would easily obtain that on the open market.

So far the story of the 2018 Free Agency cycle is the ludicrous WR values and the total cratering of the safety market.
    I really thought he'd price himself above our number, but glad to see him here. Sure, so he's 29, but that isn't as bad as it necessarily sounds... only a 3 year deal for a reasonable number. Most of which looks to be in the 1st two years.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Free agency has been really weird this year. Seems like there were only a few of the big-name, big-money deals at the outset, and everyone's taking their time. Guys who would normally be gone in the first day or two are still there a week later. Teams with tons of cap space still haven't spent it all. Everything's moving in slow motion.

The safety thing is a nice surprise for us, but I guess not totally surprising in hindsight - unusually high amount of talent on the market, more sellers than buyers, it looks like.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    The Steelers could be drafting an OLB in the first round.
    Would be very unlikely. They took one last year.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Another one of Colbert's specialties: FA signings that are unspectacular yet solid.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

This signing still doesn't change the draft plan. A ILB, and safety will be taken in the first three rounds. It just adds flexibility for the #28th overall pick, which still could be a safety.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Free agency has been really weird this year. Seems like there were only a few of the big-name, big-money deals at the outset, and everyone's taking their time. Guys who would normally be gone in the first day or two are still there a week later. Teams with tons of cap space still haven't spent it all. Everything's moving in slow motion.

The safety thing is a nice surprise for us, but I guess not totally surprising in hindsight - unusually high amount of talent on the market, more sellers than buyers, it looks like.
    Just can't get over a guy like Donte Moncrief getting $10 million or so guaranteed and Burnett doesn't even get a raise? I mean I know he had a "down" year but he spent most of 2017 being an emergency injury band-aid for a desperate Packers team.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Where’s the official announcement??

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Best Available. RB?
    I'm hoping that we stick with the usual draft day game plan, picking the BPA. I'm just a bit nervous with how much attention they have been giving QB's this off-season that they may get enamored with a guy and pick him too early.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

He's friends w/Cam Sutton and played under Cam's brother in high school.

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/ind...tt_sutton.html

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    3 years, 14.5 million, cheaper than Mitchell.

Mitchell did a good job of talking big and stealing money at FS. Good on him for getting paid, but I think if you look up his career he did a solid job of making a big living off one good season in Carolina. Glad to have Burnett in the secondary along with Haden. When you consider the young guys like Burns, Sutton, Hilton, Davis....its got a real mix of young talent and proven veteran playmakers.

Next up is improve the ILB spot.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

An upgrade over Mitchell at the right price. Well done.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The $7M that Honey Badger got screwed that up for the safeties. He was the Anti-Bell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

It sounds to me like Burnett really wanted to play for the Steelers and that's great to hear. Seeing the contract that he was given, this signing was a HR. We still need a safety in the draft but this gives him time to develop.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03...-14-5-million/

What?! That can not possibly be correct. Burnett is signing for less money than he was making last season? http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay...-burnett-6579/

At this rate, Mike Mitchell is going to have to pay someone to have him play in 2018.

Also, how can you pay Burnett $4.5 million and Wilcox $3.8 million? No way Wilcox stays at that cap #.

That figure is a steal for Burnett. He had to take less money to get to a winner and a chance to win. That gets me even more pumped up about this guy.

Everyone is assuming that they are going to draft a safety early....and they may, but there may be other plans at work.

I started a thread posting the article Bob Labriola wrote about the cornerback position. He said in the article that Cam Sutton is someone the team is looking at to possibly move to safety. He also said the Brian Allen probably won't be moving to S. The team really likes him as a player, and they project him as an outside CB that they think may push for a starting CB position at some point if he continues to develop. Interesting stuff that gives us some clues about how they may use the talent already on the team and the S position. That's why I posted the article. Here's the link if you want to check it out. http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...on-Cornerbacks

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    After being excited when we signed Mike Mitchell back in 2014 and how he turned out, I'm going to reserve any excitement I have until I see Burnett play as a Steeler.

If he can cover a tight end or a running back and actually be able to tackle someone, I'll be happy with this signing.
    You must be new to the Morgan Burnett show

This signing cant be understated. if Burnett stays healthy and maintains his body of work from his career with the packers, he'll be one of Colbert's finest. The Mitchell comparisons make me laugh. Mitchell was the beneficiary of some great front 7's in Carolina. Burnett was consistently one of the few bright spots on Dom Capers' defense. Strangely enough, the Packers have been letting a lot of their 2ndary talent walk away the past few seasons and regretted the hell out of it everytime. This will be no different.

We're getting one of the better and more versatile safeties in the league. This signing pretty much cements Davis' shift towards free safety. Burnett can play there too, but his great talents in the box, and lined up as a cornerback, LB, QB spy would all be wasted if he played full time deep down the field.

Btw do people realize Burnett wanted about $8.5 million dollars per season around the time of the combine? STEAL
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers sign S Morgan Burnett (3 years, $14.5 million): A+ Grade

As is usually the case, one of the smarter teams in the NFL waited until the second week of free agency to acquire a talented player at a very cheap rate. The Steelers did this with Morgan Burnett in what was one of the best moves in the new league year thus far.

Safety was Pittsburgh's top need (excluding inside linebacker) heading into the offseason. That's no longer the case in the wake of the Burnett signing. Burnett, 29, was outstanding for the Packers for most of his career. He had a bit of a down season in 2017 because of injuries, but he's young enough to have a bounce-back campaign. Assuming this happens, Burnett will offer the Steelers a huge upgrade at safety at a big-time bargain price.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

So do we have any more room for another quality FA signing or are we tapped out with regard to picking up additional players of this caliber?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Would be very unlikely. They took one last year.
    And they need another one opposite Watt. It depends on who is available.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Depends on what you're looking for in an OLB opposite Watt. Not to try and derail a thread here, but we have had discussions about the role of OLB in other threads. A pure pass rusher edge player is no longer a 1st round type player anymore.

Morgan Burnett is one of those FA signings that just makes you fist bump the air. No way is this a bad thing. I disagree to a small extent the assumption that Davis now goes to FS. True Burnett is now the SS, but we usually play more of a 2 SS type defense. We could see a set with our DL, VW and Bostic letting no RB have between the tackles, and Watt, Dupree, Burnett, and Davis making sure no run goes outside. This run defense just got a lot better, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Tim Benz: Patience brings Steelers steal at safety

TIM BENZ | Tuesday, March 20, 2018

http://triblive.com/sports/columnist...39354-74/story

They have one in Bud Dupree who the coaches are happy with.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    They have one in Bud Dupree who the coaches are happy with.
    Not that happy, or they probably would've picked up his option for 2019.

We do need someone at OLB, but I disagree that it has to be a first-round, highlight-reel player. Just a guy who does half the things an OLB does really well and is ok at the others. That kind of guy is good for 8 or so sacks when the DL and the other OLB are good, and the secondary is not a sieve.

Dupree, on the other hand, just does not get it at the NFL level and probably never will. He was "raw talent, needs work" when he was drafted and that's still what he is, plus a few injuries piling up. I'm not counting on a damn thing out of him.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Not that happy, or they probably would've picked up his option for 2019.
    They usually pick up 5th year options sometime in April.