View Poll Results: With the #1 overall pick, the BROWNS select...

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn St.

10 50.00%
  • Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

0 0%
  • Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

0 0%
  • Sam Darnold, QB, USC

9 45.00%
  • Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame

0 0%
  • Baker Mayfield, WB, Oklahoma

1 5.00%
  • Bradley Chubb, OLB, NC State

0 0%
  • Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With the #1 overall pick, the BROWNS select...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

With the #1 overall pick, the BROWNS select...

It is time for the annual Steelers Universe mock draft. Each pick will go up for a vote (and discussion). After24 hours, the player with the most votes becomes the pick.

With no further ado, the Cleveland Browns are on the clock...

1. CLEV:

Mods, in the past, you’ve allowed us to keep the poll n the man forum for one day, that way we get as many votes as possible. Then, once the vote has been concluded, the thread usually gets moved to the draft section.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: With the #1 overall pick, the BROWNS select...

I went with Barkley.

My rationale:

1. He’s the best skill player in the draft.
    2. At 4, the Browns are assured of getting one of the top QBs.

Counter-argument:

1. What if “their” QB is gone at 4...
    2. If the Bills acquire the #2 overall pick (they are vocal about wanting Rosen) and the Jets already traded up in order to get a QB, pick #2 and pick #3 will BOTH be QBs... leaving Saquon still available at 4. Ergo, the Browns could get “their” QB at #1, and still get Barkley.

Counter-counter-argument:

1. The Giants may not trade out of #2...
    2. ...and, they could definitely take Barkley.

SUMMATION:
    I take Barkley.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think the Jets trade helps the Browns lean even more towards QB at 1 and then Barkley at 4 and I think QB was their plan before the Jets slid into that Colts spot.

Here’s my thought...they’ve added all of these Free Agents and during this process, the player that kinda gets lost in all the Tyrod Taylor, Jarvis Landry, TJ Carrie, Demarcus Randall, Duane Stephenson, the retirement of Joe Thomas, is the signing of Carlos Hyde. They sign Hyde to a very manageable 3 year, $15M deal as an insurance policy if Barkley does get taken at picks 2 or 3. Barkley is a Todd Haley type RB and he’d fit Haley’s offensive scheme perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't think the browns want to miss losing out on Barkley. Plus I think they want Mayfield who is probably there at 4

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Jets move makes me think the Browns better take their QB at #1. That being said, the Jets probably not even thinking of whoever Browns have as "best" given their history of passing on guys with their flawed evaluation process, but things look to be changing... Sam Darnold

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Darnold.

Jets didn't trade up to take a RB. Giants would be foolish to not take Eli's successor. New Dorsey led regime in Cleveland finally gets things right and takes their franchise leader at #1. Then hopes Barkley is there at #4.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Darnold.

Can't take the chance of the Giants and Jets taking QB's leaving them with the third best QB(Allen).
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Darnold!

Послато са Mi A1 уз помоћ Тапатока

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

It will be Barkley. They won't draft a QB because they think Taylor is the answer.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

There is only one "S-Rank" running back prospect in the draft, but three or four top quarterback prospects. Take the RB #1 and you are still guaranteed of also getting one of the top three QBs at #4. The other way around, not so much. The Browns also let go of their leading rusher, so there's that ...

Unless there is one quarterback that they REALLY want above all the others, I think they just go the safe route and do this.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    It will be Barkley. They won't draft a QB because they think Taylor is the answer.
    Agree. When you can get the most talented offensive player available, you grab him.

If they're high on the QB still available at #4, they grab him. If not, pick up another stud at another position and go with Taylor as your QB.

The Browns might get this right after all.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Okay. So RBs are fungible and easy to obtain according to the last 3 months of posts on this board. Additionally, RB by committee may be a cheaper and more preferable path to roster construction.

Now the board is advocating for taking a RB with #1 overall?

Is it the wear and tear that wildly swings a RB value in the first 5 years of their careers? Alternatively if a RB has only a 4-6 year useful career with a high usage rate, why take that player #1 overall instead of the 10-15 year career player in the QB?

Not trying to call anyone out, but there seems to be two parallel and opposed chains of logic running in the draft discussion and the FA discussions. Or does the RB's are not valuable and hard to get ahold of only kick in when the contract value passes a certain benchmark?

I guess if you view Allen-Rosen-Darnold as interchangeable then maybe Barkley #1 makes sense. I guess I could be influenced by the fact that I believe it is Darnold then a pretty noticeable gap and then the rest of the top cluster of QBs.

But still...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

With the #1 overall pick, the BROWNS select...

The Colts were the biggest threat to take Barkley and they traded out of that spot. Sure the Giants could step in there and get him which would be fine. If the Browns have a QB in mind (Darnold) they have to go with that. It’s not like they don’t have a back signed to the roster and it’s actually an upgrade over what they lost. Hyde is a much better option in the backfield for Haley than Crowell would be so if they do miss out on Barkley, they have Hyde as an insurance policy to fall back on for a few seasons.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Poor Sam Donald goes #1 to the Browns and joins the long list of QB busts.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I went with Barkley.

My rationale:

1. He’s the best skill player in the draft.
    2. At 4, the Browns are assured of getting one of the top QBs.

Counter-argument:

1. What if “their” QB is gone at 4...
    2. If the Bills acquire the #2 overall pick (they are vocal about wanting Rosen) and the Jets already traded up in order to get a QB, pick #2 and pick #3 will BOTH be QBs... leaving Saquon still available at 4. Ergo, the Browns could get “their” QB at #1, and still get Barkley.

Counter-counter-argument:

1. The Giants may not trade out of #2...
    2. ...and, they could definitely take Barkley.

SUMMATION:
    I take Barkley.
    A mock draft normally works by guessing what THAT team would do, not what you would do. What are you expecting in our response?

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, Todd Haley is the Browns HC by game 12.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Okay. So RBs are fungible and easy to obtain according to the last 3 months of posts on this board. Additionally, RB by committee may be a cheaper and more preferable path to roster construction.

Is it the wear and tear that wildly swings a RB value in the first 5 years of their careers? Alternatively if a RB has only a 4-6 year useful career with a high usage rate, why take that player #1 overall instead of the 10-15 year career player in the QB?

Not trying to call anyone out, but there seems to be two parallel and opposed chains of logic running in the draft discussion and the FA discussions. Or does the RB's are not valuable and hard to get ahold of only kick in when the contract value passes a certain benchmark?

I guess if you view Allen-Rosen-Darnold as interchangeable then maybe Barkley #1 makes sense. I guess I could be influenced by the fact that I believe it is Darnold then a pretty noticeable gap and then the rest of the top cluster of QBs.

But still...
    If you've got two of the top 4 picks and can be assured of getting both positions, that's kind of a special case and that's when I would do it. If you have the normal one pick in the top 4, no way in hell would I take the RB.

Personally, I don't understand why Barkley is rated so much higher than the usual top college RBs that come out; nothing stands out more about him than Elliott or Fournette or whoever happens to be the standout guy that year. If anything, I'm less impressed than I was with those two guys, but that could be that I'm just out of the loop on college this year.

Same for the QB situation. I think of them all as more or less equivalent, but if one is really better than the rest (which I don't know for sure), then no question you take him #1 and take your chances at #4. Maybe they'll be looking for a left tackle again and that's what they do. Although if you want to talk about overdrafted, overpaid, overhyped positions - THAT has got to be at the top of the list, although that's its own whole separate tangent.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If you've got two of the top 4 picks and can be assured of getting both positions, that's kind of a special case and that's when I would do it. If you have the normal one pick in the top 4, no way in hell would I take the RB.

Personally, I don't understand why Barkley is rated so much higher than the usual top college RBs that come out; nothing stands out more about him than Elliott or Fournette or whoever happens to be the standout guy that year. If anything, I'm less impressed than I was with those two guys, but that could be that I'm just out of the loop on college this year.

Same for the QB situation. I think of them all as more or less equivalent, but if one is really better than the rest (which I don't know for sure), then no question you take him #1 and take your chances at #4. Maybe they'll be looking for a left tackle again and that's what they do. Although if you want to talk about overdrafted, overpaid, overhyped positions - THAT has got to be at the top of the list, although that's its own whole separate tangent.
    That makes sense. For me I look at recent SB teams and other teams advancing deep into the playoffs. One common thread is that many of them either have an established franchise QB or an emerging franchise guy on a cheap rookie deal. That allows them to spend lavishly on other parts of the roster.

Long story short, I'm going to make sure that I have my pick of the litter at #1 with a QB and not get cute with it. If Barkley is there at 4-- great. If not, I move on to any of the other highly talented backs in the draft.

Also, lost in all this is that from what I have read, the current plan is to have Chris Hubbard play LT for the Browns. So maybe LT is the pick at 4?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    A mock draft normally works by guessing what THAT team would do, not what you would do. What are you expecting in our response?
    Okay. I did.

Everything out there says that the BROWNS want Josh Allen (not Sam Darnold)... which is exactly the QB who I mentioned.

Likewise, the current pulse of the BROWNS is that the BROWNS will either go “Barkley then Allen or “Allen then Barkley”. I was trying to guess what the BROWNS would do... and, I opted for the first option (“Barkley then Allen”).

What “I” would do is very different. “I” do not see any of these QBs as being special. Good, but not special. Ergo. “I” would trade out of #1, down to #5. In that scenario, it’d be QB-QB-QB 1, 2, 3. “I” would take Barkley at 4 and Quentin Nelson at #5. Then, using my plethora of mid-round picks, “I” would trade up into the very end of R1 in order to acquire Kyle Lauletta (QB, Richmond). Yes, Lauletta would most likely be there at 33, but acquiring the QB in R1 gives me the fifth-year option.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Barkley is one of the most talented RB's I've seen coming out of the draft. The guy moves like Barry Sanders and that's not something that you will see once every 10, or even 20 years. You can't pass up a player like this, even if you're Cleveland. He goes #1.

I'd have to say he's fun to watch. I know it's collegiate level, but if this guy breaks it past the 2nd level he's pretty much gone. Him vs a db in space always seems to be a mismatch, like watching Sanders back in the day. Curious to see what he can do in the pros.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Reports are that it's likely QB at #1.

The Browns also signed Carlos Hyde in free agency to start at RB. Darnold #1
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

QB's are like drugs to the Browns...Sam Darnold it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Poor Sam Donald goes #1 to the Browns and joins the long list of QB busts.
    Browns busts or USC busts?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

But still...

Barkley is considered by many to be the most talented RB to come out since Barry Sanders or Adrian Peterson, and they couldn't run routes, catch the ball, or block the way he does. In other words, he may be the most complete and talented running back to come out of college in the history of the sport. I know he hasn't done anything yet, but his athleticism, measurables, and intangibles are all off the charts. So is his character and off field record. The kid is as good as it gets from a draft perspective.

I think that qualifies as a special situation.

I still think there are going to be a lot of productive RB's taken through the first 4-5 rounds, plus there are always a couple late rounders and UFA's that make an impact.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Whatever the Browns decide to do, I’m quite sure, will ultimately be the wrong thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Barkley is considered by many to be the most talented RB to come out since Barry Sanders or Adrian Peterson, and they couldn't run routes, catch the ball, or block the way he does. In other words, he may be the most complete and talented running back to come out of college in the history of the sport. I know he hasn't done anything yet, but his athleticism, measurables, and intangibles are all off the charts. So is his character and off field record. The kid is as good as it gets from a draft perspective.

I think that qualifies as a special situation.

I still think there are going to be a lot of productive RB's taken through the first 4-5 rounds, plus there are always a couple late rounders and UFA's that make an impact.
    Jerrick mckinnon beat almost every measurable.

Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Barkley, I don't think even the Brownies can screw this one up.

oh wait...

After the poll being up for 24 hours, the pick is...

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn St.

The next poll will be up shortly. (Mods, feel free to move this thread to the draft section.)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Jerrick mckinnon beat almost every measurable.

Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. That's why I listed every other category that he just kills it in.

If you've ever watched him play, it's hard to deny his talent.

With that said, that's why I also said he hasn't done anything yet. Should he be the first pick in the draft? Who knows! I think he's a pretty safe pick to be a terrific player for a long time.

In a perfect world, the Browns never give him a good OL, he struggles there for a few years, and after they cut him the Steelers sign him and he becomes the best RB in the NFL for 5-6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I know. That's why I listed every other category that he just kills it in.

If you've ever watched him play, it's hard to deny his talent.

With that said, that's why I also said he hasn't done anything yet. Should he be the first pick in the draft? Who knows! I think he's a pretty safe pick to be a terrific player for a long time.

In a perfect world, the Browns never give him a good OL, he struggles there for a few years, and after they cut him the Steelers sign him and he becomes the best RB in the NFL for 5-6 years.
    Works for me! In my role as GM of the Browns, I just don't see how you can EVER pass on a "franchise" QB for a RB. And I do believe that Darnold will be better than the rest of this class in the long run.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Works for me! In my role as GM of the Browns, I just don't see how you can EVER pass on a "franchise" QB for a RB. And I do believe that Darnold will be better than the rest of this class in the long run.
    NFL Rumors - March 20 Updates:

"My understanding is, and who knows what's going to happen over the next five weeks, but I think the Jets are operating under the assumption that Sam Darnold will be the No. 1 pick." - Manish Mehta, New York Daily News

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors